What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Washington Redskins 2013 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Supposedly 'Skins still in play for A. Winfield. He is out of the country right now, so part of the reasoning why the delay. Something will have to give though as Winfield will probably make around 2.5 - 3.4 mill, so maybe Wilson will have to take a pay cut or be cut.

I am so glad we re-signed D. Hall with the added Biggers, who they say is a ball hawk/similar to Hall. Of course, that means he can get burnt by taking risks too. Secondary was REAL scary situation and I didn't want the 'Skins to be forced into taking a CB automatically in 2nd round (51st pick). If they get Winfield, then we have the room to take a Safety...D.J. Swearinger from SC would be nice add and 'Skins have met with him multiple times.

On the other side of the ball, I'm glad Fred Davis is back too and hopefully he can show the 'skins he's worth a multi-year deal.

Preseason schedule announced.

The National Football League announced its 2013 preseason schedule today, and the Washington Redskins’ four-game slate is as follows (home games in bold):

Date Range Opponent Network Time

Aug. 8-11 @ Tennessee Titans NBC4/Comcast Sportsnet TBA

Aug. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers ESPN TBA

Aug. 23-25 vs. Buffalo Bills NBC4/Comcast Sportsnet TBA

Aug. 29-31 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers NBC4/Comcast Sportsnet TBA

Specific times for all games will be determined at a later date.​

Last edited by a moderator:
PFThttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/redskins-sign-pat-white/

4 QBs going into TC boys.

i like the committment to running the bobby griff stuff during the offseason.
I heard the Kirk Cousins interview on ESPN 980. Cousins agreed with the announcers that speed wasn't the main requirement for running the read option, it is ball handling. Cousins said he did not have the ball handling experience in college, but now he has the whole off season to work with it. He also said the potential to use the read option on any play really opens up the offense. But it does not need to used extensively.

It sounded like Cousins will get more a lot more work with the read option too.

Seems a bit creepy to me that Shanahan is proclaiming that RGIII "will set a record" for ACL recovery when he's already getting some ridicule to playing RGIII while injured.

Seems a bit creepy to me that Shanahan is proclaiming that RGIII "will set a record" for ACL recovery when he's already getting some ridicule to playing RGIII while injured.
But he also said that RG3 won't play till he's fully healthy. He has confidence that he'll return to form quickly, but won't rush it. Seems fair.

But he also said that RG3 won't play till he's fully healthy. He has confidence that he'll return to form quickly, but won't rush it. Seems fair.
So he's qualifying that he'll wait for RGIII to be 100%, but is predicting 2.5 months into recovery he's going to set a recovery-time record? Roger.

So he's qualifying that he'll wait for RGIII to be 100%, but is predicting 2.5 months into recovery he's going to set a recovery-time record? Roger.
If you can't tell the difference, or the relationship between the two statements (they aren't mutually exclusive), then I don't know what to tell you.

If you can't tell the difference, or the relationship between the two statements (they aren't mutually exclusive), then I don't know what to tell you.
Coming from the guy who decided to put RGIII back out there in January? Ha, yeah ok, I totally trust his judgment deciding when RGIII is 100% when he's predicted miracle recovery.

If you watch the interview, I think the "He'll set a record..." quote was much more a statement on Griffin's work ethic than it was some sort of predictor about when Griffin is going to be fully recovered. Shanahan delivers that quote in the dry, deadpan manner (usually with a slight smirk) he usually uses when he's making light of something, IMO. But I know people (including myself) are going to generally read in to the comment whatever preconceived notions they have about Shanahan.

This Wednesday, Griffin will be at the 13 weeks post-surgery mark. 3 months is generally about the time people get in to the "running" portion of their PT. He's right on pace for a 6-8 month recovery***, which is the new norm. Quite frankly, I think all of the "he's ahead of schedule" talk is for the people that still insist on believing that ACL reconstruction recovery has to be an 8-12 month recovery process. It doesn't.

***I am aware that time frame puts a "full recovery" endpoint in the July-September range. Just remember that that's a time frame for 100% physical recovery from the surgery/ACL regrowth, which is somewhat separate from being in "football shape" and/or from having the volume of practice reps that Shanahan will want from his starting QB. I still believe he is more likely than not going to be the Week 1 starter, though.

If you watch the interview, I think the "He'll set a record..." quote was much more a statement on Griffin's work ethic than it was some sort of predictor about when Griffin is going to be fully recovered.
Yeah, I'm a person who is guilty of taking way too many things literally, but I find it ridiculous if people are actually thinking Shanahan's comment is anything other than him saying "Recovery is going really well."

5 primetime games on the schedule, 4 after the week 5 bye. I think the NFL thinks RG3 will be playing a significant portion of the season.

Sept. 9 Philadelphia Eagles, (Mon) 7:10 p.m.

Sept. 15 at Green Bay Packers, 1:00 p.m.

Sept. 22 Detroit Lions, 1:00 p.m.

Sept. 29 at Oakland Raiders, 4:25 p.m.

Bye Week

Oct. 13 at Dallas Cowboys, 8:30 p.m.

Oct. 20 Chicago Bears, 1:00 p.m.

Oct. 27 at Denver Broncos, 4:25 p.m

Nov. 3 San Diego Chargers, 1:00 p.m.

Nov. 7 at Minnesota Vikings, (Thurs) 8:25 p.m.

Nov. 17 at Philadelphia Eagles, 1:00 p.m.

Nov. 25 San Francisco 49ers, (Mon) 8:40 p.m.

Dec. 1 New York Giants, 8:30 p.m.

Dec. 8 Kansas City Chiefs, 1:00 p.m.

Dec. 15 at Atlanta Falcons, 1:00 p.m.

Dec. 22 Dallas Cowboys, 1:00 p.m.

Dec. 29 at New York Giants, 1:00 p.m.

dgreen said:
5 primetime games on the schedule, 4 after the week 5 bye. I think the NFL thinks RG3 will be playing a significant portion of the season.

Bye Week

Only a couple gimmes on there.

dgreen said:

Bye Week

Yeah , but first year in awhile I've felt that a lot of those tough games are winnable. Only thing I don't like is opening up against Philly, I'd prefer to have a little film on Kelly's new offense and defense.

Bye Week

At GB, DEN, MIN and ATL!? That's rough. San Fran at home on Monday night looks to be awesome, though.

The Washington Examiner is changing it's business model, including cutting coverage of local news, sports and entertainment. This, of course, means that John Keim and Rich Tandler could be unemployed by mid-June.

I'm really hoping Keim gets picked up by another media outlet covering the 'Skins. His coverage is second to none. If you aren't already, follow him on Twitter. I would think a large Twitter following of 'Skins fans could only be an asset towards finding another Redskins beat writer job.
The Washington Examiner is changing it's business model, including cutting coverage of local news, sports and entertainment. This, of course, means that John Keim and Rich Tandler could be unemployed by mid-June.

I'm really hoping Keim gets picked up by another media outlet covering the 'Skins. His coverage is second to none. If you aren't already, follow him on Twitter. I would think a large Twitter following of 'Skins fans could only be an asset towards finding another Redskins beat writer job.
Looks like Keim has hooked up with the Post to keep covering the Redskins:

Very pleased 2 announce that I'm sticking around. Will be joining @washingtonpost on July 1 to help w/the #Redskins coverage. Very pumped

Weird. Don't know why I got the double quote, but whenever I try to edit the post I get an error message saying I've posted more images than allowed.

Good for Keim. It will be interesting to see if he changes. IMO, the WaPo has lacked quality Xs and Os guys and their coverage has been more about the organization as a whole. I always liked Keim becuase his focus is on the field.

We're (almost certainly) still a day away from the 'Skins first pick, but what is everyone hoping for by the time this draft is finished?

There seems to be a general consensus that, despite a lack of big names at the top, this is a relatively deep draft. Fortunately, it seems to specifically be deep at the CB and S positions, which are positions of need for the Redskins. Given that, I'm sort of hoping that the 'Skins can trade down in the 2nd and collect some more picks. It sounds like it's highly possible that they could get a player of similar talent later in the 2nd round. Ideally (for me), the 'Skins come away from this draft with more than 7 players selected.

Of course, trading down means there has to be a team willing and able to trade up. Of the teams behind the 'Skins in the second round, it looks like San Fran and Miami have the most "ammo" to make a move up, so it may depend on if one of those two teams have a player targeted that they think might not fall to them.

Of course, if someone of value falls to them, I hope they stand pat and make that selection. When the 51st pick is your first pick, I don't think you draft strictly for need. Take the BPA. Unless it's a QB. :)

We're (almost certainly) still a day away from the 'Skins first pick, but what is everyone hoping for by the time this draft is finished?

There seems to be a general consensus that, despite a lack of big names at the top, this is a relatively deep draft. Fortunately, it seems to specifically be deep at the CB and S positions, which are positions of need for the Redskins. Given that, I'm sort of hoping that the 'Skins can trade down in the 2nd and collect some more picks. It sounds like it's highly possible that they could get a player of similar talent later in the 2nd round. Ideally (for me), the 'Skins come away from this draft with more than 7 players selected.

Of course, trading down means there has to be a team willing and able to trade up. Of the teams behind the 'Skins in the second round, it looks like San Fran and Miami have the most "ammo" to make a move up, so it may depend on if one of those two teams have a player targeted that they think might not fall to them.

Of course, if someone of value falls to them, I hope they stand pat and make that selection. When the 51st pick is your first pick, I don't think you draft strictly for need. Take the BPA. Unless it's a QB. :)
I always believed the draft is the key to building a good team. That means the most important days of the year are here for the Redskins. Their job is to draft a bunch of people I never heard of, and develop them into NFL players.

Also note, Shanahan has shown no reservations about drafting projects that he thinks he can develop. Josh LeRibeus was a surprise pick in the 3rd round last year as there were more NFL ready OL available. But Shanahan took him thinking he could develop him into a good player. I am hoping they can find another Alfred Morris type player who plays CB or S. But any late round pick who develops is a great thing.

Some non RGIII injury updates buried in a pre-draft piece:

Shanahan said that running back Roy Helu Jr., who missed most of last season with a torn ligament in his toe, suffered a recent setback in his rehab, but that the team is hoping he will return to full health this offseason. . . .

Linebacker Brian Orakpo (torn pectoral muscle last season) is now 100 percent, and fellow linebacker Keenan Robinson (same injury) is expected to be back to full health some time during OTA season (in May or June). . . .

Tight end Fred Davis (ruptured left Achilles tendon) is nearing complete recovery, and Shanahan said the team should gain a better idea of his health during OTAs. Meanwhile, defensive end Adam Carriker (torn quad muscle) isnt close to returning yet, and that the team will not know about his status until later this summer. . . .
I'm getting more and more leery about Helu. Good news about Orakpo, though.Has there been recent news regarding Garcon and his foot? I thought I read something relatively recently, but can't remember any specifics. I feel like it was bad news, similar to Helu's (setback), though.

I think the Skins picked the right year to trade away a #1 pick. :thumbup:

Now I'm sure there's gonna be some good players come out of last nights draft but damn...that's gotta be one of the weakest first rounds I've ever seen.

Anyone take note of how little it cost to move up in the first round last night?

Now I'm sure there's gonna be some good players come out of last nights draft but damn...that's gotta be one of the weakest first rounds I've ever seen.

Anyone take note of how little it cost to move up in the first round last night?
What? This years first round is/was really deep and talented. Lots of line help on both sides of the ball. Only 1 qb taken.

What? This years first round is/was really deep and talented. Lots of line help on both sides of the ball. Only 1 qb taken.
No, it wasn't. The draft was completely lacking in skill positions and edge rushers. Again, look at how low the cost was to move up.

I think they said that more offensive lineman were picked in the top 10, then in the last 30 years. You think so many guards were taking in the first round because the position was just so stacked? No, it couldn't have been the lack of other options.

....no.

Hi Fellas, been a long time...

...for years I've been the skeptic, and an extremely harsh critic. I still hate Dan Snyder with a passion. In the past year or so, my culinary career has had me travelling in circles pretty close to him, and that hasn't helped matters. He is truly a ##### of immense proportion, and has little to no redeeming qualities as a human being...

...however, Griffin has really mellowed me out in regards to the Team. If you're in the same camp as me, believing that Gibbs II was NOT Gibbs I by a big stretch, and there hasn't been a real Coach/Structure in place since Schottenheimer fired Vinny, my bitter, jaded viewpoint is pretty easy to figure out. I had my concerns about Shanahan in those 1st two seasons, but last season really brought me around, and for the first time in what seems like forever, I'm actually optimistic. Weird.

I agree that this Draft is one of the more shallow ones in recent history, and I'm not terribly disappointed that we're not picking until late 2nd...although it is deep in offensive linemen and DB's, both which we need. It's a bit frustrating, in the sense that Teams seem pretty savvy this year, and are letting the players that SHOULD fall, fall, and taking the more talented but less glamorous guys that I was hoping would be there for us at 51...but there are still plenty of guys on the board, and I like that with the 1st Round out of the way, that Teams have had overnight to reload and re-evaluate with some of those players still out there. I'm fairly confident that we're going to see a lot of guys we don't want anything to do with/we don't need go off the board in the 17 selections that take place before we're OTC.

I think this Team, for the 1st time in, well, forever, has gotten to the point on the structure/leadership/intangibles/accountability/personal responsibility scale that Mathieu would be a reasonable selection at 51. There are systems in place now that weren't previously that could mold and shape a kid like that to harness his immense talent. I think he could step in and play nickel CB for any Team in the NFL right now, personal baggage aside, and quite honestly, that's where you'd want him in Year 1 as he earned his way into a more prominent role. However...

...I'll be pretty ticked if the 'skins were to take Mathieu with Johnny Cyprien or Duke Williams, or Johnathan Banks, Robert Alford or Darius Slay still available. Mathieu has tremendous upside, but it comes at a price. Any of those other 5 would probably top out below Mathieu's ceiling, but don't carry anywhere near the baggage, and would be just as much 'fits' for our current secondary.

Regardless, one or more of those six guys will be around when we pick at 51, which I'm excited about!

Well, there goes Cyprien. Damn.

Ertz, Hunter is good for us, bumps some of 'my guys' down the pipe a little.

F'ing Lions, there goes Slay. Damn again.

14 picks to go:

Duke Williams

Johnthan Banks

Robert Alford

Tyrann Mathieu

Amerson. Well, with the secondary in the shape it's in, just about anything would be an improvement.

Best positive: Absolutely a ballhawk

Worst Negative: Too stiff in the hips to be a quality NFL CB

He might make a pretty good Free Safety...but I was really hoping they'd get a CB good enough, and there were some available, to push D.Hall in that direction. They could have gotten some more versatile DB's as well, nickel guys with returner skills...

Bottom line, IMO: Amerson would have been available in the 3rd, and if he's not, big deal...and they passed on some quality guys who won't be there at #85.

Two of the next 3 picks: Margus Hunt and Jamar Taylor.

...and now Arthur Brown. To the Ravens. Lovely.

I don't get this pick, I mean, they really could have traded down and gotten another pick and still taken this guy. So at least that tells us they really liked him. I don't know, a lot of his interceptions came against some bad QB's in college. Just because a CB makes a lot of INT's doesn't mean he's a great player. He'll be a bust.

I don't get this pick, I mean, they really could have traded down and gotten another pick and still taken this guy. So at least that tells us they really liked him. I don't know, a lot of his interceptions came against some bad QB's in college. Just because a CB makes a lot of INT's doesn't mean he's a great player. He'll be a bust.
because you know other teams were trying to trade up i presume?

I'm sure they had multiple offers to trade out of the 51st pick and guarantees that they could still draft their guy but choose not too. I wish we had smart guys like southeastjerome in our war room. :(

jordan reed, te, florida

motion TE, couple yrs away from full development, good hands, decent speed, used to be QB, relatively new to the position, compares to fellow florida product aaron hernandez.

I'm sure they had multiple offers to trade out of the 51st pick and guarantees that they could still draft their guy but choose not too. I wish we had smart guys like southeastjerome in our war room. :(
Relax guy, its ok to criticize your team every now and then. I did say that it tells us they really liked him so they stood pat. In Shanny we trust I guess.

I hope I am wrong, but from what I've seen (against piss poor BC QB's) he is maddeningly inconsistent. What I read supports that. Sorry for giving an opinion that doesn't support every move of the team.

Relax guy, its ok to criticize your team every now and then. I did say that it tells us they really liked him so they stood pat. In Shanny we trust I guess.

I hope I am wrong, but from what I've seen (against piss poor BC QB's) he is maddeningly inconsistent. What I read supports that. Sorry for giving an opinion that doesn't support every move of the team.
You didn't just give your opinion, you spoke straight out of your ###.

There have been 8 trades today, so yeah, I'd be willing to bet there was someone who would have moved up. Whether it was worth it or not, who knows. All that matters is the guys who are in charge didn't think it was worth it. No need to get snarky because I didn't love our pick. I give my honest opinion instead of just following rank and file. Say something positive about the guy and tell me why you love the pick instead of making worthless comments.

There have been 8 trades today, so yeah, I'd be willing to bet there was someone who would have moved up. Whether it was worth it or not, who knows. All that matters is the guys who are in charge didn't think it was worth it. No need to get snarky because I didn't love our pick. I give my honest opinion instead of just following rank and file. Say something positive about the guy and tell me why you love the pick instead of making worthless comments.
What do you want to bet? And how might we find out if you were right or not?

Aren't they basically the same thing? What are your credentials? And why are you criticizing my comments without making any of your own about the pick/player? I'm certainly not the only one who has questions about the pick. I don't get why you're getting all puffy with my comments that I don't like the pick. Do you like the pick? What do you have to say about the pick/player?

What do you want to bet? And how might we find out if you were right or not?
:confused: bet? I thought my statement was obviously figurative. Lots of trades went down, and I really didn't want to dig this deep, but they pretty much made the pick right away. So again, by doing that I think shows they really wanted him. That's something we both want. I hope he's good, but he was a pretty polarizing player even for a casual ACC fan. That's what worries me. Again, instead of questioning me, tell me why you like the pick.

Aren't they basically the same thing? What are your credentials? And why are you criticizing my comments without making any of your own about the pick/player? I'm certainly not the only one who has questions about the pick. I don't get why you're getting all puffy with my comments that I don't like the pick. Do you like the pick? What do you have to say about the pick/player?
No, they're not the same thing. Saying they could have traded down and still gotten Amerson isn't an opinion. It's pure conjecture. It's also not just an opinion to say that they drafted him because of his interception totals. Maybe they like his size and athleticism. I'm not going to pretend like I know more than the Skins front office because I watch football on saturdays and read a street and smith. I think they've earned a bit more trust after their past couple drafts. Alfred Morris, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread