What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Thread (In-Season) (2 Viewers)

Archer said:
The same emotions that makes RG3 seem a little too sensitive sometimes also fuels his passion for the game and to be a champion.
I'm not necessarily trying to equate the two, but isn't that similar to some of the criticism Lebron James has received over the years? That he cares too much about what others think about him, that he wants to be liked, that he may need to develop thicker skin, etc.? I don't follow the NBA real close, so if my perception about that is off, someone let me know.

But, I hope you're right, Archer, about those personality traits being tied to a passion for winning, and for football. Like dgreen, I think those things have bothered me about Griffin. Maybe because it seems counter (or at least different) to what the champions I grew up with were like. I can't imagine Joe Montana having some of the responses that Griffin has had to criticisms and questions. But we're watching a different NFL today, to some extent. Who is to say that you can't be a champion and be a little sensitive, publicly?

ETA: Although, I guess Gibbs was/is a "sensitive guy" (maybe not in the same ways) and he sure earned some nice hardware. ;)
Your perception of Lebron is accurate in terms of the perception in basketball circles and probably real life as well.

I like Griffin but he does come off as trying a little too hard sometimes and seems to care a little too much about what people think.

And you're also right in pointing out that it's a different NFL now, and also a different time, and a different generation of kids. Everyone Griffin's age and younger has grown up from birth with social media, reality TV, and almost instant access to just about everything so right or wrong, I think a lot more feel more comfortable wearing their emotions on their sleeves so to speak and engaging and sharing personal thoughts through media platforms.

In the end none of it will matter. There have been successful NFL QBs of all different personalities. He will be judged by his production on the field. Let's just keep in mind that he is 24 and playing at a consistently high level as a NFL QB is a really hard thing to do and takes some guys some time.

What was Houston's record last year? Who is their QB?

They're favored by about 3 points.

That's where we are right now.

That is the 3 point favor for being a home team. It is sad though and shows the lack of confidence in the 'Skins in general. In fairness, nobody should believe in us until we show them that we deserve it. Start winning and everything will fall into place, it the winning part that we've struggled with for the past decade or two.

RGIII HTTR said:
fatness said:

That is the 3 point favor for being a home team. It is sad though and shows the lack of confidence in the 'Skins in general. In fairness, nobody should believe in us until we show them that we deserve it. Start winning and everything will fall into place, it the winning part that we've struggled with for the past decade or two.
Yes, that is where we are and I don't think anyone should fool themselves into thinking differently. This was a 3-13 team last season and the year before we were 10-6 but had to ride a 7 game win streak to reverse a 3-5 start. Houston was 2-14 last year but still has a lot of the same roster that went 12-4 the year before and 10-6 the year before that.

They added a potentially game changing defensive player in Clowney and have a perennial defensive POY candidate in Watt. They should be favored at home against us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to watch the Packers and Seahawks tonight. When I watch the Skins on Sunday I'll see how they compare.

RGIII HTTR said:

Yes, that is where we are and I don't think anyone should fool themselves into thinking differently. This was a 3-13 team last season and the year before we were 10-6 but had to ride a 7 game win streak to reverse a 3-5 start. Houston was 2-14 last year but still has a lot of the same roster that went 12-4 the year before and 10-6 the year before that.

They added a potentially game changing defensive player in Clowney and have a perennial defensive POY candidate in Watt. They should be favored at home against us.
Houston potentially has a dominant defense that could give the Redskin's a lot of problems. Houston potentially could be a decent team with out a solid qb.

I'd rather see 25 quick screens thrown for dink and dunk minimal gains that Robert sit in the pocket and get hit all day. Plus between Garçon, DeSean, and Reed, we do have the type of players who are quick and could make something big out of a screen.

I'd rather see 25 quick screens thrown for dink and dunk minimal gains that Robert sit in the pocket and get hit all day. Plus between Garçon, DeSean, and Reed, we do have the type of players who are quick and could make something big out of a screen.
Jason Reid has a good article in today's Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-can-get-robert-griffin-iii-off-to-a-strong-start-by-leaning-on-alfred-morris/2014/09/04/7cd17f86-3441-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_story.html

The Redskins need to run the ball. Then run it. Then run it some more.

Yes, Griffin will have to pass eventually but don't do it more that you have to.

Fatness talked about watching Seattle vs. Green Bay last night. I saw that too; it was impressive. Watching Wilson, it's clear how Carroll puts him in a position to shine. They don't make him drop back a million times. They pound the rock, run those sweeps with Harvin, and then occassionally Wilson passes off of those formations. The Redskins are not the Seahawks but need to put RGIII in a position to shine in the same way. Remember, you can pass from the pocket without dropping back to throw 40-50 times.

Don't sleep on Houston. Shaub + injuries = bad year. Fitzpatrick isn't an elite guy, but he could be decent enough not to lose games like Shaub did last year.

Don't sleep on Houston. Shaub + injuries = bad year. Fitzpatrick isn't an elite guy, but he could be decent enough not to lose games like Shaub did last year.
I'm not sleeping on them. There's a good chance they beat the Skins today.

Earlier this year when the season schedules came out, the Texans and Jaguars were referred to by a lot of fans as 2 "easy' games opening the Redskins schedule. I take issue with that. Until I see otherwise the Skins aren't good enough to consider any game easy.

Houston was quite good 2 years ago and so was Washington. I expect the Texans to be a lot tougher than last year. I'm not sure yet about the Skins.

The game outcome depends on the performances of Fitzpatrick and of the Redskins offensive line. Fitzpatrick has, in the past, had several mini hot streaks where for 3-4 games he was completing a ton of throws. Then he would tail off towards 'terrible' for the rest of the year. He could throw 3 TD's against the Skins today or he could throw 4 INT's. The Redskin O-line will need to win consistently on running plays, or Griffin will be scrambling and throwing badly a lot.

Good game to start the season for the Skins, a way to measure where they are.

Jason Reid has a good article in today's Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-can-get-robert-griffin-iii-off-to-a-strong-start-by-leaning-on-alfred-morris/2014/09/04/7cd17f86-3441-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_story.html

The Redskins need to run the ball. Then run it. Then run it some more.

Yes, Griffin will have to pass eventually but don't do it more that you have to.
Good article.

Running back Alfred Morris is durable and productive. Fullback Darrel Young performs better than many at his position. And Washington’s offensive line, which rarely inspires confidence in pass protection, is top-shelf in run blocking. Coach and play-caller Jay Gruden can rely on that group, and with Griffin experiencing growing pains in the pocket, he should early in the season.
Start by relying on your strengths. :thumbup:

Watch Keenan Robinson today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/09/05/what-to-expect-from-keenan-robinson-as-redskins-new-mike-linebacker/

But Washington will also have to deal with the formidable Arian Foster heading a historically strong Texans rushing attack that’s flanked with Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins at wide receiver. The Redskins have a new signal caller at the heart of their defense, with Keenan Robinson taking over at the Mike linebacker position from the retired London Fletcher. Fletcher’s play had regressed over the past few seasons, but he was always a strong leader and made important adjustment calls to get everyone lined up correctly.

How Robinson steps up to that challenge remains to be seen. But his performance on the field this preseason has been promising. He displayed good play-recognition skills, and had the athleticism that Washington has lacked at the linebacker position for years.

Inactives: QB Colt McCoy, WR Santana Moss, T Morgan Moses, G Spencer Long, DE Frank Kearse, LB Akeem Jordan, CB Tracy Porter

How many offensive linemen does that leave active?

over/under on # of games Porter plays this year: 4

That means Ryan Grant is active. I'd love to see Morris score the Skins first TD today and Grant score the second.

Terry Bradshaw just came out for playing Cousins. That's a strong argument against playing Cousins, and a strong argument that the network should retire Bradshaw. Just open a door and let him wander off. He wandered off mentally awhile back.

One of these shows just said theta Gruden wants RG3 to just manage the game and not turn the ball over because the Defense and Special Teams are good enough to win it. WTF is he talking about?

One of these shows just said theta Gruden wants RG3 to just manage the game and not turn the ball over because the Defense and Special Teams are good enough to win it. WTF is he talking about?
It's pretty obvious that most or all the studio and game announcers on all the networks pay little or no attention to football. They rely on "insiders" for any real information, and their insiders seldom have as much information as team beat reporters.

####in gruden. whats he thinking running the clock out. i dont like what i see. But this Houston D does look VERY good.

I assumed the play calling would be different than preseason, but it seems pretty vanilla so far.

Defense kept it within one score the entire game, and 7 points weren't even their fault. Other than one big play, they had a nice night and gave the offense plenty of opportunities.

And that's acknowledging that our pass rush was extremely disappointing. And we might have lost Cofield. Seems Hatcher is ok.

We didn't run the ball enough. We got too cute with the passing game early and picked it up in the 2nd half.

ST's started off looking awesome and then flipped and was awful. Still a work in progress, big time. Unfortunately it cost is points.

OK, going to try some positive.

I actually thought Griffin was pretty accurate today. No idea if he made good decisions or missed some open guys, but he was accurate when he threw. That incompletion down the sideline to Roberts in the first half should have been better and could have been a TD. But, for the most part, he wasn't sailing balls or missing badly like last year. Sure, most of it was short, but he struggled with those last year.

Running game looked good and could be a strength going forward, assuming they use it. And I think Griffin still needs to be part of the ground game.

Jackson looked explosive on a couple plays.

Defense was solid. Yeah, it wasn't a great offense, but they did their job.

Roberts is a return threat, which they haven't had since Banks.

And then there's all the negatives.

what a shame to waste a pretty good defensive effort like today's was.

can someone teach rg3 to step up in the pocket instead of his silly swerve to the sidelines every time there's pressure from around the edge? good gawd.

can someone teach rg3 to step up in the pocket instead of his silly swerve to the sidelines every time there's pressure from around the edge? good gawd.
I agree with the sentiment, but on the other hand I don't really blame him for not wanting to step up behind Chester, who could end up pushed back into his lap at any moment.

Im hoping this was just that the Houston pass rush was ridiculously good and not that our oline will look like that all year. Watt is a freak though.

I agree with the sentiment, but on the other hand I don't really blame him for not wanting to step up behind Chester, who could end up pushed back into his lap at any moment.
Agreed. Watt did whatever he wanted to whichever lineman was in front of him. And it seemed that we didnt even try to block #58.

That said, there were definitely times were Griffin should have stepped up or made moves to manipulate the pocket much better.

But it's part of the process. A lot of fans don't want to hear it but patience is required.

####in gruden. whats he thinking running the clock out.
I figured he did not want to fail on 3rd down and then have to punt. Keeping the special teams off the field doesn't seem like a bad decision.

WTF was with the playcalling in that game anyway? Just run the ball 50% or more of the plays and stop being fancy schmatzy Mr. Offensive Genius.

Nile Paul is officially banned from my TV now by the way. I've always thought he was way overrated, and usually blew a critical play every game. Today he went out of his way to blow one. So when he's on the screen I use white-out.

Users who are viewing this thread