What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Thread (In-Season) (2 Viewers)

Just curious, with Oakland's win yesterday where would that have put you guys in the draft order if you had lost? 3rd?
Draft pick has looked like the 4-7 range for a couple of weeks now. I know this hurts your feelings but beating The Eagles did next to nothing for The Redskins draft pick
I guess when your team gets sent packing against a "sorry opponent" you have to try to make that opponent feel bad however you can. In my opinion there is ZERO downside to getting a win -- any win -- in the NFL. it's not like the Redskins are going to draft Winston and go to the SB. More likely draft Winston and watch him bust.
Nah not too worried about it, we were going nowhere w butt fumble. As a rival though definitely want RG3 staying and not Mariota as an option.
I hear you. For sure, you guys are a much different team with Foles. I think what the last few games have shown is actually Foles is more important than Chip's system. All we hear about is Chip's system...could it be that Foles is actually a better QB than we give him credit for?As for RGIII, he is anything but a sure thing, but at this point the team just needs to draft Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backfield. I don't see Mariota or Winston being "sure bets" like Luck.

Realistically, I don't think Skins fans should be looking to unseat Philly and Dallas next year anyway. Getting all bent out of shape about the draft pick or who is QB NEXT year is just baiting Redskins fans into the same kind of mistaken thinking that has beset this organization since Snyder took over.

Some of us have wised up since then...
Yeah I like Foles and I think Chip has made chicken salad out of the 4-12 team he inherited.

I think more than RG3 you guys gotta lose Gruden or its a me thing again. He just seems like an arrogant d bag the way he has trashed his QB.
Well his QB needed a dump truck full of reality and humble pie, especially when the owner is drooling over the QB 24/7. Not ideal and not what most NFL coaches would do for sure. It looks like your Eagles will be in the market for a QB considering there was talk of benching Foles for Sanchez right before he got hurt. Sanchez is AWFUL, but you and all the Jets fans know that already.
Good point, Snyder really is the ultimate evil I cant stand the guy. Maybe Gruden's actions are necessary the way Snyder has treated Griffin. I like Foles, hope they keep him. Butt Fumble's ship has sailed, he is brutal.

Whether Gruden turns out to be a good coach is one thing. But reading in this thread all the things he has said in press conferences, he has been a disaster with the public trashing of RGIII. Griffin may turn it around, but I don't think it will be

because of any of the public humiliation Gruden has dished out. And based on the Gruden family personalitiy, I don't really see him changing his style too much in year 2.

@HTTR24_7: When you get the text message saying Haslett is coming back in 2015.... http://t.co/hjUNR6QEcV

A tweet accompanied with a pic of someone about to hang themselves. Apparently @HTTR24_7 has a source saying Haz won't be fired. He usually has good insight. Used to work for the team, I think.

Whether Gruden turns out to be a good coach is one thing. But reading in this thread all the things he has said in press conferences, he has been a disaster with the public trashing of RGIII. Griffin may turn it around, but I don't think it will be

because of any of the public humiliation Gruden has dished out. And based on the Gruden family personalitiy, I don't really see him changing his style too much in year 2.
I agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately I think some of what was said was not just for RG3. I think much of it was to set it straight with the other forces that were blinded by RG3's aura. I think that and Gruden's blatant blunt brutal honesty created a whirlwind and nightmarish press conferences. It been discussed many times, but RG3 had to be brought to back to earth as he was acting as is sh!t don't stink, which is evident as he never blamed himself. He will NEVER improve if he cannot see his own faults and work at improving them. It starts with actually studying the game when he's not at practice or during game time to be a good NFL QB. Instead his social media, commercials, and his self branding take the front seat and that is the heart of the matter, as he thinks he's arrived and the extra works is not needed as he is more good enough. If this were true, he's take the right drop back steps that are planned for the play and maybe, just maybe look at the correct side of the field that the play was intended to go to at least.

So, again...not ideal behavior by a head coach calling out a player, but this is far from an ideal situation and player we are talking about to start. Gruden is a first time head coach and he's has plenty to learn too and hopefully he dial it down for the future, but if the two idiots (Allen & Snyder) are slobbering all over a player, then we might just see a rinse and repeat.

@HTTR24_7: When you get the text message saying Haslett is coming back in 2015.... http://t.co/hjUNR6QEcV

A tweet accompanied with a pic of someone about to hang themselves. Apparently @HTTR24_7 has a source saying Haz won't be fired. He usually has good insight. Used to work for the team, I think.
He's been real hit or miss lately. I'll beleive it when I see it. I just don't see how they can bring him back and survive the fan backlash. He's been here for 5 years and can you honestly say the defense has really improved since his 1st year here?

We still don't have the right personnel to run a 3-4. That's been our issue from Day 1 with Haslett's 3-4.

Sicne Haslett has been here, we've yet to finish higher than 21st in points allowed. Why does he deserve to come back?

Many mock drafts are predicting we'll take the OLB Shane Ray in the 1st. He's been described by numerous scouts as a "risky pick". Wouldn't be surprised at all if we took him and he turned out average.

I'd much rather go with the safest pick this year that helps at an area of need. Or trade down 3-4 spots and get a 1st round pick for next year.

Many mock drafts are predicting we'll take the OLB Shane Ray in the 1st. He's been described by numerous scouts as a "risky pick". Wouldn't be surprised at all if we took him and he turned out average.

I'd much rather go with the safest pick this year that helps at an area of need. Or trade down 3-4 spots and get a 1st round pick for next year.
We don't need an OLB that early. Murphy seems like he should be decent next season and we know what Kerrigan is capable of. We need secondary and OL in this draft. We can go OLB later in the draft, but OL should be a top priority.

We don't need an OLB that early. Murphy seems like he should be decent next season and we know what Kerrigan is capable of. We need secondary and OL in this draft. We can go OLB later in the draft, but OL should be a top priority.
:goodposting:

Maybe the team needs better pass blocking TEs and RBs. Don't be surprised when they draft a TE and RB.

I don't know too much about who is coming out but I will quite probably cut someone if we don't draft the best OLine or Safety on the board

He's been real hit or miss lately. I'll beleive it when I see it. I just don't see how they can bring him back and survive the fan backlash. He's been here for 5 years and can you honestly say the defense has really improved since his 1st year here?

We still don't have the right personnel to run a 3-4. That's been our issue from Day 1 with Haslett's 3-4.

Sicne Haslett has been here, we've yet to finish higher than 21st in points allowed. Why does he deserve to come back?
I still think Haslett is coming back. Started saying in many weeks ago and I still believe it.

I still think Haslett is coming back. Started saying in many weeks ago and I still believe it.
I want to believe you are wrong.....but I just can't.

I wouldn't shock me. Nothing this team does anymore shocks me.

I don't know too much about who is coming out but I will quite probably cut someone if we don't draft the best OLine or Safety on the board
And if the Best Player Available is a OLB...then maybe trade back to get the next best OL and stockpile a few picks in the process.

If we take a WR with our # 1 I will likely scream.

And if the Best Player Available is a OLB...then maybe trade back to get the next best OL and stockpile a few picks in the process.If we take a WR with our # 1 I will likely scream.
So many issues could be solved by a competent GM.

I agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately I think some of what was said was not just for RG3. I think much of it was to set it straight with the other forces that were blinded by RG3's aura. I think that and Gruden's blatant blunt brutal honesty created a whirlwind and nightmarish press conferences. It been discussed many times, but RG3 had to be brought to back to earth as he was acting as is #### don't stink, which is evident as he never blamed himself. He will NEVER improve if he cannot see his own faults and work at improving them. It starts with actually studying the game when he's not at practice or during game time to be a good NFL QB. Instead his social media, commercials, and his self branding take the front seat and that is the heart of the matter, as he thinks he's arrived and the extra works is not needed as he is more good enough. If this were true, he's take the right drop back steps that are planned for the play and maybe, just maybe look at the correct side of the field that the play was intended to go to at least.

So, again...not ideal behavior by a head coach calling out a player, but this is far from an ideal situation and player we are talking about to start. Gruden is a first time head coach and he's has plenty to learn too and hopefully he dial it down for the future, but if the two idiots (Allen & Snyder) are slobbering all over a player, then we might just see a rinse and repeat.
Why are you buying the "sources" stories that RG3 doesn't put the time in and "thinks his #### don't stink"? I don't buy them at all. I heard over and over how Garcon doesn't like him. Now he actually went on record praying him. Same with Desean. Never blamed himself? Come on, dude. Don't buy the Sporscenter sound bytes and Skip Bayless hyperbole. You said the word "never", so here, take this one link and never say that bull#### again. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/07/rg3-i-have-to-play-better-for-us-to-win-games/

How is he spending too much time on social media? Do you really think shooting a subway clerical in half a day in the offseason is making him worse as a QB? Really? You are buying all the hate a little to easy, my man.

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you read those "take him down to build him back up" pieces and were able to justify that logic to give you some optimism. Fine. That doesn't make it true. No one has put their name on a story calling out Robert's work ethic or character. Until they do, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as well.

Just to get off topic a bit, the Rams certainly have won that RG3 trade with another stellar season. Looks like they're on the verge of going 6-10. Really great they have all those players from the RG3 trade to help them win games.

Just to get off topic a bit, the Rams certainly have won that RG3 trade with another stellar season. Looks like they're on the verge of going 6-10. Really great they have all those players from the RG3 trade to help them win games.
The Griffin trade will never really get me angry. Even with those picks I don't see anyone in this organization being able to draft well. I mean I know we could have missed out on the next Malcom Kelly or Fred Davis, but that's ok I suppose.

Maybe the team needs better pass blocking TEs and RBs. Don't be surprised when they draft a TE and RB.
:yucky: :wall: :rant: :censored: :pirate:

thayman said:
MattFancy said:
The Griffin trade will never really get me angry. Even with those picks I don't see anyone in this organization being able to draft well. I mean I know we could have missed out on the next Malcom Kelly or Fred Davis, but that's ok I suppose.

When the trade went down a friend of mine was giving me #### about it. Said those 1st rounders were way too valuable. So I read off the 1st picks of his favorite team the last 4 years and asked him if he would trade those guys for a potential franchise QB. He shut up.

Also, Dallas' Defense was assisted by them changing from a pass oriented attack to a run heavy attack lead by Murray. The strategy is to dominate the time of possession and protect your weak defensive unit. For many reasons, Gruden shoud consider that. Anyone surprised that vs. PHilly they ran more than passed and won the game? Gruden also has a role in protecting the defense.
It's amazing to me that it took Gruden 15 games to figure that out. Actually I think he knew it when he took over the team, that the team was better when it ran more. There were 2 years of film to see showing that. I think he was just stubborn, determined to do things his way which is straight-ahead power running and dropback passing. At the end of a lost season, I'm not sure if the run-first strategy was a one-off for the Eagles game and Gruden will abandon it again, or if he's finally realized it's what his players on his team do best.

The offense needs 3 new, solid offensive linemen to be any good, period. And that by itself will improve the defense. The secondary needs 2 new safeties and a new CB to be any good, and a complete new defensive coaching staff. All those things are likely to take at least 2 years to assemble. This team is near the bottom and is rebuilding.

I agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately I think some of what was said was not just for RG3. I think much of it was to set it straight with the other forces that were blinded by RG3's aura. I think that and Gruden's blatant blunt brutal honesty created a whirlwind and nightmarish press conferences. It been discussed many times, but RG3 had to be brought to back to earth as he was acting as is #### don't stink, which is evident as he never blamed himself. He will NEVER improve if he cannot see his own faults and work at improving them. It starts with actually studying the game when he's not at practice or during game time to be a good NFL QB. Instead his social media, commercials, and his self branding take the front seat and that is the heart of the matter, as he thinks he's arrived and the extra works is not needed as he is more good enough. If this were true, he's take the right drop back steps that are planned for the play and maybe, just maybe look at the correct side of the field that the play was intended to go to at least.

I think it was just a rookie coach flailing about because his team kept losing, looking for someone to blame, and nothing more than that. Pick the easy target. Amateurish on Gruden's part and made him look clueless week after week.

But it served its purposed. It focused all discussion in the media on Robert Griffin, and got the attention off the terrible offensive line play, terrible secondary play, players giving up, coaches getting outcoached, and running out the same failed gameplans week after week. It gave Gruden cover, a lot of it. The Redskins reporters and national reporters followed the lead, ignored the rest of the team's problems and focused on Griffin.

Effective media strategy for Gruden. And lousy coaching strategy. Gruden lost more games for this team than any player on the roster this year.

I do not care who the Redskins draft or sign in free agency if Bruce Allen is making the personnel decisions. No matter who he gets it'll just be the 6th year of the same old #### from him.

Also, Dallas' Defense was assisted by them changing from a pass oriented attack to a run heavy attack lead by Murray. The strategy is to dominate the time of possession and protect your weak defensive unit. For many reasons, Gruden shoud consider that. Anyone surprised that vs. PHilly they ran more than passed and won the game? Gruden also has a role in protecting the defense.
It's amazing to me that it took Gruden 15 games to figure that out. Actually I think he knew it when he took over the team, that the team was better when it ran more. There were 2 years of film to see showing that. I think he was just stubborn, determined to do things his way which is straight-ahead power running and dropback passing. At the end of a lost season, I'm not sure if the run-first strategy was a one-off for the Eagles game and Gruden will abandon it again, or if he's finally realized it's what his players on his team do best.

The offense needs 3 new, solid offensive linemen to be any good, period. And that by itself will improve the defense. The secondary needs 2 new safeties and a new CB to be any good, and a complete new defensive coaching staff. All those things are likely to take at least 2 years to assemble. This team is near the bottom and is rebuilding.
You are giving him too much credit. He hasn't figured anything out. Just lucked into it this time. Ask a Bengals fan about Gruden and running the ball. Have your ear plugs handy, because there will be yelling.

Sebowski said:
fatness said:

You are giving him too much credit. He hasn't figured anything out. Just lucked into it this time. Ask a Bengals fan about Gruden and running the ball. Have your ear plugs handy, because there will be yelling.
I don't think Gruden has learned anything. It looks like he does not trust Griffin to run his pass happy offense and runs the ball more when Griffin is the QB, much to his chagrin. And he ends up winning a game.

It reminds me of when Spurrier won a game when running Stephen Davis, and he was not happy after the game because they did not throw the ball enough. At least Gruden looked happy after the game.

ha. I remember that game. They beat the Colts I believe by just running #48 all game. Skins could have won a lot more with that focus. They beat the Patriots before the Pats went on that long winning streak. Still can't believe Spurrier has a win over Belichick.

ha. I remember that game. They beat the Colts I believe by just running #48 all game. Skins could have won a lot more with that focus. They beat the Patriots before the Pats went on that long winning streak. Still can't believe Spurrier has a win over Belichick.
There was a run of years there that the Skins beat the eventual Super Bowl Champ.

Merry Christmas to all of you by the way. I hope Santa took pity on all of you and was extra kind this year!

Sebowski said:
fatness said:

I don't think Gruden has learned anything. It looks like he does not trust Griffin to run his pass happy offense and runs the ball more when Griffin is the QB, much to his chagrin. And he ends up winning a game.

It reminds me of when Spurrier won a game when running Stephen Davis, and he was not happy after the game because they did not throw the ball enough. At least Gruden looked happy after the game.
We're not the only ones saying Gruden has a lot to learn about the Redskins offense:

Jay Gruden is a quarterback specialist; to turn around Redskins, he must use everything else

After spending much of this frustrating season futilely searching for answers at quarterback, Washington Redskins Coach Jay Gruden would be smart to minimize the importance of the position by better utilizing some strengths and shoring up some weaknesses. That means giving the ball to running back Alfred Morris more and building a defense that will allow him to do so.
After spending much of this frustrating season futilely searching for answers at quarterback, Washington Redskins Coach Jay Gruden would be smart to minimize the importance of the position by better utilizing some strengths and shoring up some weaknesses. That means giving the ball to running back Alfred Morris more and building a defense that will allow him to do so.
With the right quarterback at the controls, Gruden believes his passing attack predicated on timing and rhythm could help Washington become a perennial winner again. However, he also is determined to prove that Snyder made the right choice in hiring him. After a rough first season, Gruden will need victories in 2015, not style points.
I've been saying the same thing for weeks: Gruden's micromanaging the QB position and neglecting to coach the entire team. If he isn't canned and makes it to next year, I don't think we'll see the same over-emphasis on the QB position and same cluelessness about the entire offense and team.

problem is Gruden doesn't know what he has in Morris, or at least wishes he had a different type of RB. I'm all for giving Alfred 30 carries a game if he wants it. Although it would be nice to actual give him goal line work instead of giving it to Young :wall:

I think the problem is that Gruden thinks a running-based offense is a special-education offense, not worth his respect and not measuring up to his awesome-in-his-opinion measure for how an offense and QB should play. The guy knows one thing, and thinks that thing is hot ####. And he ignores the rest of the team and what's best for the team's offense.

Users who are viewing this thread