What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Thread (In-Season) (2 Viewers)

Welp now we pick later.

Happy to crush the eagles hopes, but not happy to help out the cowboys
"You play to win the game."I believe winning is always better. Draft picks aside, many of these guys will still be on the team and need to learn to win. Winning is always better. We still have a long way to go but I'm really happy for the guys that they didn't give up. It says a lot that they didn't quit, seriously.
Completely agree.
If you just want a higher draft choice look at the teams in front of us. We've been looking at a 5-7 pick for awhile.

Welp now we pick later.

"You play to win the game."I believe winning is always better. Draft picks aside, many of these guys will still be on the team and need to learn to win. Winning is always better. We still have a long way to go but I'm really happy for the guys that they didn't give up. It says a lot that they didn't quit, seriously.
:goodposting:

The Eagles had a 200-yard advantage in yardage gained. They had 9 more first downs. They had the advantage in time of possession (which they seldom do). Each team had 2 turnovers.

The Redskins had 3 penalties. The Eagles had 13. The Redskins scored when they had to. The Eagles didn't. There's the game right there.

Oh, and they ran the ball 29 times, with Morris getting 21 carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I woke up this morning, poured a cup of coffee, drank a sip or 2 and then remembered "oh, we beat the Eagles last night". #### yeah!

Today is a beautiful day.

Great win! NFC East loves themselves some Sanchez, at least three teams do. :lol:

If AJ Smith is rumored to be GM, why wait to announce it at end of season...why not already since he's working with 'Skins some capacity? I bring it up only because maybe he's not going to be the guy. Enjoy your Sunday. which is now free of heartache!!!

So how does this now affect Gruden staying???

The Washington Post admits Robert Griffin III is "expected to return" to the Redskins in 2015.

Profootballtalk reports RGIII's job status for 2015 was never in danger despite all of the reports that stated otherwise in recent weeks. Hmm. What a difference a win does for morale. RGIII looked like his vintage self in a Saturday afternoon win over the Eagles, and all of the sudden things are peachy in D.C. RGIII has an opportunity to finish the season on a high note against the Cowboys in Week 17.

Source: Washington Post

Welp now we pick later.

Be happy you helped the Lions.
GoodpointIMO. I like the lions and would love to see them escape their years of suffering. I feel like lions fans are or neighbors in the next jail cell.I don't disagree with playing to win, but it's seemed like they were intentionally laying down for weeks now.

Article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000446140/article/robert-griffin-iii-likely-to-stay-with-redskins-in-2015

"Jay Gruden feels good about his chances to return to D.C. next season year, and according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, so should Robert Griffin III.

The maligned quarterback, who has been benched several times already this year and was subject to some pretty pointed criticisms by Gruden himself, is likely to remain in Washington. Gruden, as it turns out, really doesn't care who is quarterback is, as long as it's someone who can handle the system.

Through eight starts this year, the results have been mixed. Griffin's completion percentage is tipping 70, but his touchdown total has been low. Griffin has been picked apart by multiple analysts for missing crucial reads and balking at open wide receivers. At times, he simply looks lost.

But Washington's owner, Daniel Snyder, is determined not to start over at the position, according to Rapoport. This offseason, the team will have their full complement of draft picks back and some money to spend on the open market.

If Griffin could elevate his play to something near that of 2012 and Washington could spend some of their free agent money wisely, Gruden seems to have a team not far away from competing again.

If Griffin regresses, though, Snyder will have wasted a season and stacked the deck against Gruden, who might deserve a shot to play with a handpicked passer."
This is the problem with Snyder and the group think in the hierarchy at Redskins park over the years. They keep thinking they are a player or two away from being a force or having a chance. Instead of being realistic and seeing a 3-6 win team (over the years), they see a 9 win team that just fell on some hard luck. THIS IS NOT WORKING and THIS THINKING is what is KILLING the organization at the core. We are not and have not been a player or two away for a looooooooong time. Wake up from the fantasy football mentality Snyder!!! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Offensively we SHOULD be a player or two away from a playoff type team. The problem is the defense and special teams needs a make over in the worst way...and upgrading our offensive line wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Offensively we SHOULD be a player or two away from a playoff type team. The problem is the defense and special teams needs a make over in the worst way...and upgrading our offensive line wouldn't hurt either. ;)
The real problem is their outlook, the approach is if they are in it NOW opposed to building it for the tomorrow and all the days beyond. This flaw is at the core of of this organization, this is why we continue to fail and have losing seasons.

My take on yesterday's game:

The Redskins played a crisp, clean game. I thought it was funny when the Redskins had a delay of game penalty and the announcers started talking about how the Redskins keep hurting themselves with penalties. Yet that was only their 2nd penalty of the game, on their way to 3 total. It like they had their information but could not incorporate the game in front of them.

Ironically, the Eagles seemingly could move the ball up and down the field, but they kept making the critical mistakes to end drive via penalties and turnovers. Eerily similar to the Redskins earlier in the season, they move the ball, hurt themselves, and eventually don't score enough points. Also, the Eagles defense has been weak all year, especially in the clutch. No different today. But for fantasy purposes, the Eagles D has a ton of big plays.

The play calling was definitely different yesterday. Much more emphasis on the run. It is still sad that the Redskins have gone from such a good run team in 2012 and 2013 to the weak/mediocre running in 2014. I still point to Gruden for this decline.

The post wrote that running the ball more is a concession to make Griffin feel more comfortable and in rhythm. I still claim running the ball successfully is good football and every QB (not just Griffin) would benefit from a balanced offense. One thing I noticed in Denver, even before their run-heavy game plans. They still called a number of running plays to keep the defense honest. It is not pass, pass, pass.

I don't think I saw any read option looks where Griffin would actually run the ball. Note I say read option looks since we don't really know if the QB is reading anything. They did run some read option looks where they threw the ball. This includes one where Griffin got sacked real quick. Griffin looked serviceable, but not the dynamic QB of 2012. But he looked good.

DeSean Jackson has an uncanny ability to adjust to the ball when thrown to him. On the interception thrown Jackson's way, Griffin threw to the wrong side of the field. They had another receiver run a go route on the other side of the field. Once the safety commits to Jackson's side, the other receiver must have single coverage.

The defense held Philly to 24 points, but they moved the ball way too easily. Without the penalties, turnovers, and missed field goals, we are talking about a victory. But sometime the opponents do that, and you have to beat them. So no taking anything away from the win.

RGIII HTTR said:
Article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000446140/article/robert-griffin-iii-likely-to-stay-with-redskins-in-2015

"Jay Gruden feels good about his chances to return to D.C. next season year, and according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, so should Robert Griffin III.

The maligned quarterback, who has been benched several times already this year and was subject to some pretty pointed criticisms by Gruden himself, is likely to remain in Washington. Gruden, as it turns out, really doesn't care who is quarterback is, as long as it's someone who can handle the system.

Through eight starts this year, the results have been mixed. Griffin's completion percentage is tipping 70, but his touchdown total has been low. Griffin has been picked apart by multiple analysts for missing crucial reads and balking at open wide receivers. At times, he simply looks lost.

But Washington's owner, Daniel Snyder, is determined not to start over at the position, according to Rapoport. This offseason, the team will have their full complement of draft picks back and some money to spend on the open market.

If Griffin could elevate his play to something near that of 2012 and Washington could spend some of their free agent money wisely, Gruden seems to have a team not far away from competing again.

If Griffin regresses, though, Snyder will have wasted a season and stacked the deck against Gruden, who might deserve a shot to play with a handpicked passer."
This is the problem with Snyder and the group think in the hierarchy at Redskins park over the years. They keep thinking they are a player or two away from being a force or having a chance. Instead of being realistic and seeing a 3-6 win team (over the years), they see a 9 win team that just fell on some hard luck. THIS IS NOT WORKING and THIS THINKING is what is KILLING the organization at the core. We are not and have not been a player or two away for a looooooooong time. Wake up from the fantasy football mentality Snyder!!! :doh:
I wonder where the bolded got started? Local radio guys do it (Cooley is the worst), national sports guys do it. I wonder why they all started doing it. Anyone know?

:popcorn:

RGIII HTTR said:

I wonder where the bolded got started? Local radio guys do it (Cooley is the worst), national sports guys do it. I wonder why they all started doing it. Anyone know?

:popcorn:
Uhhh, maybe because its true and easy to see for anyone truly involved with the game?

RGIII HTTR said:

:fishing: :fishy:
Uhhh, maybe because its true and easy to see for anyone truly involved with the game?
FYP, fatness.

Love that people like Kevin Sheehan is worried that wins against the Eagles and maybe against the Cowboys will create this delusional mindset that everything is good and nothing needs to be changed. Apparently he doesn't listen to his own station anymore because they have been feeding delusional for decades. Or maybe he realizes that he was part of the problem.

I also think this "suck for a better draft pick" thing is a terrible idea for the Skins. The closer they get to a top 3 pick, the more likely they will waste the pick on Jameis Winston because he is the pick to make a splash with. Any top 8 pick should improve the team significantly. Hell if they knew what they were doing that 2nd round pick last year should have meant something

Agreed. I think we're close offensively with the guys we have if we can add some pieces on the OL. Hopefully, we do that in the draft.

As for the defense, I think a coaching change goes a long way there. Everyone thought Dallas' defense was going to be a disaster this season. They bring in Marinelli and their defense is respectable. Still not great, but it's good enough. That's all we need. We don't need a top 10 defense to win games, no one really does in this league anymore. You just need a defense that can create turnovers and limit scoring chances. This defense still needs help in the secondary, but getting rid of Haslett may be the best thing they can do.

Hard to tell what will happen next season with this team. If Griffin can really focus and work in the offseason, the offense should be pretty good. I'm not saying this is a playoff team, but next year's team should have more than 4-5 wins. I could see them hanging around .500.

Love that people like Kevin Sheehan is worried that wins against the Eagles and maybe against the Cowboys will create this delusional mindset that everything is good and nothing needs to be changed. Apparently he doesn't listen to his own station anymore because they have been feeding delusional for decades. Or maybe he realizes that he was part of the problem.

I also think this "suck for a better draft pick" thing is a terrible idea for the Skins. The closer they get to a top 3 pick, the more likely they will waste the pick on Jameis Winston because he is the pick to make a splash with. Any top 8 pick should improve the team significantly. Hell if they knew what they were doing that 2nd round pick last year should have meant something
Their best pick in recent memory was Kerrigan, who they got at 13 or something like that.

I remember everyone ragging on them that year that they didn't trade up to get Blaine Gabbert. Others thought they should go get Christian Ponder.

That was the infamous Beck/Grossman years but in retrospect a good move not to reach...in the end, they are LOT better with Kerrigan, even though they had to wait longer at QB

Agreed. I think we're close offensively with the guys we have if we can add some pieces on the OL. Hopefully, we do that in the draft.

As for the defense, I think a coaching change goes a long way there. Everyone thought Dallas' defense was going to be a disaster this season. They bring in Marinelli and their defense is respectable. Still not great, but it's good enough. That's all we need. We don't need a top 10 defense to win games, no one really does in this league anymore. You just need a defense that can create turnovers and limit scoring chances. This defense still needs help in the secondary, but getting rid of Haslett may be the best thing they can do.

Hard to tell what will happen next season with this team. If Griffin can really focus and work in the offseason, the offense should be pretty good. I'm not saying this is a playoff team, but next year's team should have more than 4-5 wins. I could see them hanging around .500.
They actual do have a lot of talent still at the skill positions. There is no need to spend high round picks at this point on WR, TE or RB IMO. If you do happen to go offense: Line, line, line, line, line..

Regarding the most important skill position, even with all the questions, we should probably go into 2015 giving Robert one final chance. A few random thoughts on this:

1. I'm not entirely sold that he'll make it unless he learns to get rid of the ball faster, make faster decisions, etc. It should be a point of real emphasis.

2. He may be showing some minor signs of growing in that area. Observers thought he did well in that regard vs. Philly. I've heard some people take issue with the "he managed the game" quote by Gruden as a slight, but I do not agree. Actually, I think it's an acknowledgement that Robert is growing in just the area that he wants him to.

3. Could it be that Griffin is humbled? This would not be an entirely bad thing. Let's put an end to "the Griffin show" sponsored by Twitter, etc. Let's just try to survive and keep your job. That might be...good?

4. There is one other play that gives me hope. Vs. the Giants, on the play where he sprinted into the end zone and the robbed him of the TD. Since the first time since his injury, that play looked a little bit like "the old Robert" to me. Turn the corner, no time, but f it, I am better than you and I'm going to beat you to the end zone. And he did. And he was fired up about it. That was not tentative, indecisive Robert, but brash, confident Robert. I don't want him to be reckless, but that cocky burst at times also makes him special...and dangerous.

As for the defense, I won't even get into that. I actually like Haslett, but his units just haven't done well. I think maybe it's true a coaching change might help. Who would be the main candidates?

They actual do have a lot of talent still at the skill positions. There is no need to spend high round picks at this point on WR, TE or RB IMO. If you do happen to go offense: Line, line, line, line, line..

Regarding the most important skill position, even with all the questions, we should probably go into 2015 giving Robert one final chance. A few random thoughts on this:

1. I'm not entirely sold that he'll make it unless he learns to get rid of the ball faster, make faster decisions, etc. It should be a point of real emphasis.

2. He may be showing some minor signs of growing in that area. Observers thought he did well in that regard vs. Philly. I've heard some people take issue with the "he managed the game" quote by Gruden as a slight, but I do not agree. Actually, I think it's an acknowledgement that Robert is growing in just the area that he wants him to.

3. Could it be that Griffin is humbled? This would not be an entirely bad thing. Let's put an end to "the Griffin show" sponsored by Twitter, etc. Let's just try to survive and keep your job. That might be...good?

4. There is one other play that gives me hope. Vs. the Giants, on the play where he sprinted into the end zone and the robbed him of the TD. Since the first time since his injury, that play looked a little bit like "the old Robert" to me. Turn the corner, no time, but f it, I am better than you and I'm going to beat you to the end zone. And he did. And he was fired up about it. That was not tentative, indecisive Robert, but brash, confident Robert. I don't want him to be reckless, but that cocky burst at times also makes him special...and dangerous.

As for the defense, I won't even get into that. I actually like Haslett, but his units just haven't done well. I think maybe it's true a coaching change might help. Who would be the main candidates?
Also, Dallas' Defense was assisted by them changing from a pass oriented attack to a run heavy attack lead by Murray. The strategy is to dominate the time of possession and protect your weak defensive unit. For many reasons, Gruden shoud consider that. Anyone surprised that vs. PHilly they ran more than passed and won the game? Gruden also has a role in protecting the defense.

Congrats on the win. That is one of those games that teams who just miss the playoffs look back on and think "we should have won that game". 13 penalties. At least 3 dropped passes. 2 turnovers. 2 missed FG's. Every mistake the Eagles could have made, they did. I am glad you guys got to enjoy our collapse.

I have to ask: How many of you thought that the Eagles were going to win when the kicker kicked the ball right into the up man and the Eagles got the ball on the 50 with :03 seconds left? I know I thought it was possible.

Congrats on the win. That is one of those games that teams who just miss the playoffs look back on and think "we should have won that game". 13 penalties. At least 3 dropped passes. 2 turnovers. 2 missed FG's. Every mistake the Eagles could have made, they did. I am glad you guys got to enjoy our collapse.

I have to ask: How many of you thought that the Eagles were going to win when the kicker kicked the ball right into the up man and the Eagles got the ball on the 50 with :03 seconds left? I know I thought it was possible.
Normally, I would still only give a team about a 1% chance to win under those circumstances.

In this game, I gave the Eagles about a 30% chance, going down like this. Defensive foul taking it to the Red Zone, followed by scoring TD with no time left.

I don't think Griffin being a "game manager" is a complete knock on him. I mean Russell Wilson manages the game to an extent. They lean heavily on their rushing attack and defense most weeks. Sure he has games where he can step up when needed, but he also went 4 straight games without throwing for more than 200yds. People were talking about how Griffin "only threw for 220yds", Wilson has only thrown for more than that 5 times all season. But Seattle wins games, so it doesn't matter what Wilson does. I think as long as we start winning more with Robert, it won't matter if he's throwing for 300+ every game.

Just curious, with Oakland's win yesterday where would that have put you guys in the draft order if you had lost? 3rd?

Still think we need a new GM, Coach, Offensive Line (minus Williams), and lots of help on defense.

No clue what to do about QB. I'd take Winston based on talent, but I think his off the field issues wouldn't work in Washington. We should go with a solid offensive lineman or defensive lineman. Someone with a high ceiling would be nice, but the priority should be a high floor (Like Zack Martin for Dallas last year).

Jay Gruden measures QB play by wins, losses

"That is the No. 1 factor, and that is it," Gruden said. "Obviously you look at the production and all that stuff, and what he could've done maybe, but winning football games is the only thing that matters to me for a quarterback. And it doesn't matter if they go 12-for-24 for 80 yards and we win, or if they go 28-for-35 for 400 [yards] and we lose, you'd rather have the 12-for-24. The ability to manage a game, stay away from the big turnovers and get the W is all that counts."
....I have no words.

Just curious, with Oakland's win yesterday where would that have put you guys in the draft order if you had lost? 3rd?
Draft pick has looked like the 4-7 range for a couple of weeks now. I know this hurts your feelings but beating The Eagles did next to nothing for The Redskins draft pick

Just curious, with Oakland's win yesterday where would that have put you guys in the draft order if you had lost? 3rDo
Don't care in the least. I would much rather the team "learn how to win" and get a little confidence boost going into the offseason than get a higher draft pick. They'll pick when they pick...in the meantime, the guys on the team now are much more important.

Draft pick has looked like the 4-7 range for a couple of weeks now. I know this hurts your feelings but beating The Eagles did next to nothing for The Redskins draft pick
Especially since the other teams around us won this week as well (Jags, Raiders, Giants). So us winning really didn't effect our draft position all that much.

I guess when your team gets sent packing against a "sorry opponent" you have to try to make that opponent feel bad however you can. In my opinion there is ZERO downside to getting a win -- any win -- in the NFL.

it's not like the Redskins are going to draft Winston and go to the SB. More likely draft Winston and watch him bust.

Just curious, with Oakland's win yesterday where would that have put you guys in the draft order if you had lost? 3rDo
Don't care in the least. I would much rather the team "learn how to win" and get a little confidence boost going into the offseason than get a higher draft pick. They'll pick when they pick...in the meantime, the guys on the team now are much more important.
It would matter if the Skins were in the market for a QB, but it doesn't look like they are.

Especially since the other teams around us won this week as well (Jags, Raiders, Giants). So us winning really didn't effect our draft position all that much.
Yeah its really only the 1st 2 that matter for QB. Assume you guys probably need to go Lineman then.

I guess when your team gets sent packing against a "sorry opponent" you have to try to make that opponent feel bad however you can. In my opinion there is ZERO downside to getting a win -- any win -- in the NFL. it's not like the Redskins are going to draft Winston and go to the SB. More likely draft Winston and watch him bust.
Nah not too worried about it, we were going nowhere w butt fumble. As a rival though definitely want RG3 staying and not Mariota as an option.

I guess when your team gets sent packing against a "sorry opponent" you have to try to make that opponent feel bad however you can. In my opinion there is ZERO downside to getting a win -- any win -- in the NFL. it's not like the Redskins are going to draft Winston and go to the SB. More likely draft Winston and watch him bust.
Nah not too worried about it, we were going nowhere w butt fumble. As a rival though definitely want RG3 staying and not Mariota as an option.
I hear you. For sure, you guys are a much different team with Foles. I think what the last few games have shown is actually Foles is more important than Chip's system. All we hear about is Chip's system...could it be that Foles is actually a better QB than we give him credit for?

As for RGIII, he is anything but a sure thing, but at this point the team just needs to draft Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backfield. I don't see Mariota or Winston being "sure bets" like Luck.

Realistically, I don't think Skins fans should be looking to unseat Philly and Dallas next year anyway. Getting all bent out of shape about the draft pick or who is QB NEXT year is just baiting Redskins fans into the same kind of mistaken thinking that has beset this organization since Snyder took over.

Some of us have wised up since then...

I hear you. For sure, you guys are a much different team with Foles. I think what the last few games have shown is actually Foles is more important than Chip's system. All we hear about is Chip's system...could it be that Foles is actually a better QB than we give him credit for?As for RGIII, he is anything but a sure thing, but at this point the team just needs to draft Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backfield. I don't see Mariota or Winston being "sure bets" like Luck.

Realistically, I don't think Skins fans should be looking to unseat Philly and Dallas next year anyway. Getting all bent out of shape about the draft pick or who is QB NEXT year is just baiting Redskins fans into the same kind of mistaken thinking that has beset this organization since Snyder took over.

Yeah I like Foles and I think Chip has made chicken salad out of the 4-12 team he inherited.

I think more than RG3 you guys gotta lose Gruden or its a me thing again. He just seems like an arrogant d bag the way he has trashed his QB.

I hear you. For sure, you guys are a much different team with Foles. I think what the last few games have shown is actually Foles is more important than Chip's system. All we hear about is Chip's system...could it be that Foles is actually a better QB than we give him credit for?As for RGIII, he is anything but a sure thing, but at this point the team just needs to draft Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backfield. I don't see Mariota or Winston being "sure bets" like Luck.

Yeah I like Foles and I think Chip has made chicken salad out of the 4-12 team he inherited.

I think more than RG3 you guys gotta lose Gruden or its a me thing again. He just seems like an arrogant d bag the way he has trashed his QB.
Well his QB needed a dump truck full of reality and humble pie, especially when the owner is drooling over the QB 24/7. Not ideal and not what most NFL coaches would do for sure. It looks like your Eagles will be in the market for a QB considering there was talk of benching Foles for Sanchez right before he got hurt. Sanchez is AWFUL, but you and all the Jets fans know that already.

Time will tell whether Gruden will be the answer in Washington or not. It could be that his rough handling of RGIII will be just the thing that straightens him up...or not. But either way, I'm not ready to bag it after one year. That's just me, though. We've had too much of "quick fix" talk in Washington. Let's see if next year Gruden and Griffin can work together. If they can't, then you might actually see both of them go. But if they can, then they have something to build on...

Users who are viewing this thread