What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Thread (In-Season) (1 Viewer)

Do we have the biggest idiot of a coach or the biggest idiot of a coach?

Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins
Speaking Tuesday, coach Jay Gruden said it's important for the Redskins to get an early lead in Saturday's game against the Eagles so they can limit Robert Griffin III's dropbacks and reading of the defense.
Gruden might as well have just come out and said he thinks RGIII stinks. Gruden also said Griffin needs to "get up quicker," and "avoid awkward hits and falls." He wants RGIII to be "more savvy." Gruden hates the way RGIII plays quarterback, and he's making sure he gets it on the public record before the offseason. Grudes has supposedly been told he'll be back for 2015, so it's seeming safer and safer to assume Griffin is a goner in Washington.

I don't get it.
I have said this repeatedly. The part I don't get is why say any of this publicly? I understand he needs to coach and help players do better, but all this stuff should be done privately.

Next we will hear Gruden say Griffin is not good against blitzes and he asks the Eagles to not blitz.

Speaking Tuesday, coach Jay Gruden said it's important for the Redskins to get an early lead in Saturday's game against the Eagles so they can limit Robert Griffin III's dropbacks and reading of the defense.
Gruden might as well have just come out and said he thinks RGIII stinks. Gruden also said Griffin needs to "get up quicker," and "avoid awkward hits and falls." He wants RGIII to be "more savvy." Gruden hates the way RGIII plays quarterback, and he's making sure he gets it on the public record before the offseason. Grudes has supposedly been told he'll be back for 2015, so it's seeming safer and safer to assume Griffin is a goner in Washington.

I don't get it.
I have said this repeatedly. The part I don't get is why say any of this publicly? I understand he needs to coach and help players do better, but all this stuff should be done privately.

Next we will hear Gruden say Griffin is not good against blitzes and he asks the Eagles to not blitz.
Agree 100%. I'm fine if he says this to Griffin, but why did he need to tell the press this? How does this help the team or squash any of the "Jay hates Robert" stuff going around. The dude is the least self aware person in the NFL. He's so clueless.

Manziel looked like complete dog #### last week, did Pettine rip him in the press?

Cutler looked horrible last night, did Trestman rip him in the press?

The more I hear the things Gruden is saying, the more I think he doesn't want to coach but be a talking head on ESPN. The kind of guy who says ridiculous things so people watch him. Kind of like Skip Bayless, but with an actual football background.

Anyone who wants AJ Smith to be our new GM. Eli Manning threatened to sit out a year just not to play for him after Archie told him about AJ. We don't want this guy running our front office any more than we want Bruce!

Gruden, Griffin, and Allen will probably all be back in 2015 and the dysfunction will continue. We're the new 76ers! Gruden has clearly sold Snyder on a tank-til-we-make-it strategy.

I don't get it.

Agree 100%. I'm fine if he says this to Griffin, but why did he need to tell the press this? How does this help the team or squash any of the "Jay hates Robert" stuff going around. The dude is the least self aware person in the NFL. He's so clueless.
Marv's point shouldn't be lost either. He is actually giving the opposing team tips on how to stop Robert from playing well. Never seen anything like it.

I swear they look up the ESPN prospect rankings and go by that when drafting. Snyder should just coach the team himself.

God help us.

If Allen is still in charge of adding

F.A and Drafting then i am pretty much done as far as the Redskins go.

They will see the fans voting with their wallets.

I swear they look up the ESPN prospect rankings and go by that when drafting. Snyder should just coach the team himself.

God help us.
I would much rather they draft that way. I'm only partially joking. Instead we're taking Murphy in the 2nd, Moses and Long in the 3rd, ####### Ted Bolser and a Kicker in the 7th?? We seem to have done well on the Grant and Breeland picks, but my point is that we reach like crazy on guys, NEVER take the freaks or high ceiling guys in the mid-late rounds, always opting for the blue collar types which has really only worked out with Kerrigan who was a Shanahan pick. Morris is good but Shanahan had a knack for finding RB's who fit his system late, and Keenan Robinson looks really good as a mid-rounder who was injured his first couple years.But in general, these are my gripes: we never just make the obvious pick (example: stay put and just draft Bitonio!). Ever. The teams who accumulate talent are doing this left and right: Bengals, Rams, 49ers, Pittsburgh. The obvious value picks always fall to these teams when other teams reach for need or get cute. The only teams that draft totally off the wall and seemingly reach with success are the Pats and Seahawks, who have their own secret formula for prospects that fits their systems that is hit or miss. Chip Kelly can probably go in this category as well.

Sorry for the rant, I just think any generic Big Board, going BPA with need being the tie-breaker, could net us better draft picks than whatever the hell we're doing, we get too cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't get it.

Marv's point shouldn't be lost either. He is actually giving the opposing team tips on how to stop Robert from playing well. Never seen anything like it.
He isn't saying anything opposing teams don't already know.

This is what needs to happen. Some way Snyder has to be forced to change his approach of surrounding himself with stooges and hire a real football GM with power.

This is what needs to happen. Some way Snyder has to be forced to change his approach of surrounding himself with stooges and hire a real football GM with power.
If nothing changes from this season going into next season, Snyder will hear it loud and clear.

Jay Gruden is Basically Asking to Be Fired with Comments About Robert Griffin III

Has it really been only a year since Mike Shanahan was all but publicly feuding with Robert Griffin III and lobbing shots in the direction of owner Daniel Snyder?

Well, today, if there was any doubt about how this is going to end, Jay Gruden basically is asking to be fired in Washington
Remember when Gibbs left, and all the players wanted Snyder to hire Gregg Williams as coach, and Gregg WIlliams wanted the job? That would have been cool.

Does anyone know how many times RG3 was sacked at Baylor? I can't find it. Gruden's stupid comments aside, RG3 really does look like a #### every time he gets touched.

Also, at 5th in the draft we have a nice trade position. Everyone knows the Jets need WR help, and you'd think some teams are willing to trade up to get Amari Cooper.

Let Allen go.

Let Gruden go.

Hire Jim Harbaugh and Rex Ryan (if both are available and you can get Ryan in without the HC title).

Draft defense until your eyes bleed. Trade down and accumulate picks. Go into this thing with the idea that you are drafting the player...and the player that gives that player backup depth...and the player that gives that player backup depth.

Do those things and let Harbaugh lean on the ground game and the stick movers and become respectable next year and plan to ascend in the following years.
I love this idea except for the fat that it requires the Redskins to be able to evaluate talent and chose talent that will flourish at the NFL level. So far, the organization has not shown to that often or on any consistent basis.

Since Snyder has taken over, we've had only TWO successful seasons where we had winning records and won the NFC East once (RGIII rookie year). First year doesn't count as Snyder took over and inherited Schotty and quickly fired him after winning division and going 10-6. We should have known then we were in trouble.

With that said, what makes anyone think that 2 out of 15 is something we can build upon? Never had a traditional front office and it shows. We are at a point where we cannot evaluate talent for drafts and now for FA's, as all our FA's signings this past year failed horribly other than DJax. DJax fell into our laps, so not sure if he's applicable in the equation.

How can we expect the people who jack'd this up to be the one's who fix it?

Since Snyder has taken over, we've had only TWO successful seasons where we had winning records and one the NFC East once (RGIII rookie year). First year doesn't count as Snyder took over and inherited Schotty and quickly fired him after winning division and going 10-6. We should have known then we were in trouble.

With that said, what makes anyone think that 2 out of 15 is something we can build upon? Never had a traditional front office and it shows. We are at a point where we cannot evaluate talent for drafts and now for FA's, as all our FA's signings this past year failed horribly other than DJax. DJax fell into our laps, so not sure if he's applicable in the equation.

Agree 100%.

I've seen nothing that proves we should let the people in charge to keep making moves. Think Allen has been here for like 85 games. We're 27-58. That's not a good record for a GM. Even if you say he wasn't really in charge with Shanny, then his record this season surely doesn't help either.

Snyder by all accounts seems like a pretty smart dude, yet he seems completely clueless about how to run a competent FO. If the NFL is copycat league, we're copying off the wrong teams because it's not working.

Since Snyder has taken over, we've had only TWO successful seasons where we had winning records and one the NFC East once (RGIII rookie year). First year doesn't count as Snyder took over and inherited Schotty and quickly fired him after winning division and going 10-6. We should have known then we were in trouble.

Agree 100%.

I've seen nothing that proves we should let the people in charge to keep making moves. Think Allen has been here for like 85 games. We're 27-58. That's not a good record for a GM. Even if you say he wasn't really in charge with Shanny, then his record this season surely doesn't help either.

Snyder by all accounts seems like a pretty smart dude, yet he seems completely clueless about how to run a competent FO. If the NFL is copycat league, we're copying off the wrong teams because it's not working.
It is looking like Snyder made a mistake in hiring Allen. I think everything else is on Allen. If Allen worked out, Snyder would look great right now. And I don't blame him too much for the Allen hire. Remove all hindsight and it was probably worth a shot with his experience and ties to the Redskins. Turns out he just didn't perform. It happens. Hopefully Snyder gets the next GM hire right, and hopefully it is sooner rather than later.

And J Smith better not even be consideration. #### that guy. Trust me. I've been in San Diego 12 years. He sucks.

McCoy's on IR now (and he should have been before the Giants game). That sets up the perfect ending for Gruden's year. We could all see it coming, and it's just about to happen:

Griffin gets sacked a lot by the Eagles, Gruden loses patience and yanks him for Cousins, who proceeds to throw a bunch of INT's.

Agree overall but just to be clear- Norv was the coach of the 1999 team that went 10-6 and won the division in Snyder's first year of ownership. He then fired Norv during the 2000 season when the team was 7-6 and still mathematically alive for the playoffs I believe. A week or two earlier I remember Snyder meeting with Norv in Texas Stadium for like 3 hours after a loss to Dallas. He also was behind the signing of Jeff George and directed interim coach Terry Robiskie to start him over Brad Johnson for the final 3 games of that season.

Here is an article from 2000 called "His team, his people" in reference to Snyder:

http://articles.dailypress.com/2000-12-07/sports/0012070062_1_interim-coach-terry-robiskie-brad-johnson-dan-snyder

Schotty was Snyder's first HC hire and had he been given time I'm confident Marty would have established a solid foundation. Of course Snyder canned him after one season, brought back one-eyed Vinny, and continued the start of this 15 year run of dysfunction.

Agree overall but just to be clear- Norv was the coach of the 1999 team that went 10-6 and won the division in Snyder's first year of ownership. He then fired Norv during the 2000 season when the team was 7-6 and still mathematically alive for the playoffs I believe. A week or two earlier I remember Snyder meeting with Norv in Texas Stadium for like 3 hours after a loss to Dallas. He also was behind the signing of Jeff George and directed interim coach Terry Robiskie to start him over Brad Johnson for the final 3 games of that season.

Here is an article from 2000 called "His team, his people" in reference to Snyder:

http://articles.dailypress.com/2000-12-07/sports/0012070062_1_interim-coach-terry-robiskie-brad-johnson-dan-snyder

Schotty was Snyder's first HC hire and had he been given time I'm confident Marty would have established a solid foundation. Of course Snyder canned him after one season, brought back one-eyed Vinny, and continued the start of this 15 year run of dysfunction.
And two years later Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Jay Gruden was on the coaching staff of that team, and Allen in the front office.

Jay Gruden was on the coaching staff of that team, and Allen in the front office.
Touche'.

And over the next 5 years Marty went 47-33 with San Diego while we reversed that at 33-47 in the same span.

Griffin gets sacked a lot by the Eagles, Gruden loses patience and yanks him for Cousins, who proceeds to throw a bunch of INT's.
Actually the template is Griffin gets injured in the Iggles game and Kirk rallies us to a W. Then next week vs. Dallas when the 'Boys have a week to gameplan against Capt. Kirk he throws a bunch of INT's and we get crushed.

My bad, we trying to make the point fast and from top of my head. Mind is the first to go... thanks for clarification.

Touche'.

And over the next 5 years Marty went 47-33 with San Diego while we reversed that at 33-47 in the same span.
Exactly. I remember at the time...I hated that we got rid of Brad Johnson. And I hated that we got rid of Marty.

Snyder obviously has a golden touch to make money, but God Bless him he just makes the wrong football decision every single time.

MikeApf said:
MattFancy said:
Jay Gruden is Basically Asking to Be Fired with Comments About Robert Griffin III

Has it really been only a year since Mike Shanahan was all but publicly feuding with Robert Griffin III and lobbing shots in the direction of owner Daniel Snyder?

Well, today, if there was any doubt about how this is going to end, Jay Gruden basically is asking to be fired in Washington
Remember when Gibbs left, and all the players wanted Snyder to hire Gregg Williams as coach, and Gregg WIlliams wanted the job? That would have been cool.
I heard Gregg Williams was insisting on control on personnel, knowing what a problem it would be to have Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder involved with the personnel issues.

Marty is a prime example of a well coached team with very little talent. Marty decided to take all the cap hits up front when getting rid of the previous year's excess such as Dieon Sanders and Jeff George. He had a truly bad roster and managed to go 8-3 after a 0-5 start.

MikeApf said:
MattFancy said:

I heard Gregg Williams was insisting on control on personnel, knowing what a problem it would be to have Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder involved with the personnel issues.
There was something else in the mix too. I've always wondered how much Williams was involved with the whole Bountygate fiasco.

Actually the template is Griffin gets injured in the Iggles game and Kirk rallies us to a W. Then next week vs. Dallas when the 'Boys have a week to gameplan against Capt. Kirk he throws a bunch of INT's and we get crushed.
A week to gameplan? Or a week of Gruden's coaching?

That's quite realistic. I was trying for a one-act drama to sum up the season, but playing out over 2 acts sums it up pretty well.

In the unlikely event that Griffin has a good game against the Eagles, a real good game, does Gruden feel relieved & happy, or threatened and unhappy?

Agree 100%.

It is looking like Snyder made a mistake in hiring Allen. I think everything else is on Allen. If Allen worked out, Snyder would look great right now. And I don't blame him too much for the Allen hire. Remove all hindsight and it was probably worth a shot with his experience and ties to the Redskins. Turns out he just didn't perform. It happens. Hopefully Snyder gets the next GM hire right, and hopefully it is sooner rather than later.

And J Smith better not even be consideration. #### that guy. Trust me. I've been in San Diego 12 years. He sucks.
I'm so tired of the "solution" to player personnel issues to be people from within the building. Everyone in that entire building should be fired.

that sounds about right

Well, the Bears have benched Jay Cutler.

That pretty much means that the Redskins will try to trade for him. Maybe give the Bears Griffin and two number ones.

After signing Cutler, the Redskins fan base will predict a Super Bowl this year. Jay Gruden will proclaim Cutler "just the type of guy we need here in Washington." Bruce Allen will announce this is a "new era for the Washington Redskins." Dan Snyder will remain eerily silent. Tony Wylie will say, "no means no."

In the following season, the Redskins will go 3-13. Jay Gruden will complain that Cutler "can't do the things we need him to do" and replace him with Colt McCoy. General misery will ensue.

OK, I'm half joking...

Well, the Bears have benched Jay Cutler.

That pretty much means that the Redskins will try to trade for him. Maybe give the Bears Griffin and two number ones.

After signing Cutler, the Redskins fan base will predict a Super Bowl this year. Jay Gruden will proclaim Cutler "just the type of guy we need here in Washington." Bruce Allen will announce this is a "new era for the Washington Redskins." Dan Snyder will remain eerily silent. Tony Wylie will say, "no means no."

In the following season, the Redskins will go 3-13. Jay Gruden will complain that Cutler "can't do the things we need him to do" and replace him with Colt McCoy. General misery will ensue.

OK, I'm half joking...
LOL, groundhog day (movie)!

Users who are viewing this thread