What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official WIS XIV Format Discussion & Signup Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
My 2010 teams suck and so does WIS hoops. It's time to start thinking about WIS XIV. We've basically been alternating odd & even sims between short & long eras. WIS XIII was an all-time affair (the Hall of Very Good), so we should probably start with short eras, unless someone has a great idea for an all-time twist.

New to Whatifsports? - See WIS & newbie thread for more information.

First the obvious:

[*]24 (or 16) teams

[*]No clones

Everything else is negotiable

I'll throw out my two pets first:

[*]WWII era

[*]Advance 2010 sim. I thrown this idea out before. We'd basically be drafting players on spec and would replay the season in Oct-Nov after WIS posts the 2010 stats. We'd have to allow a mulligan or two to allow for injuries but I think this would add a lot of variability to the usual nerd.gif fish2.gif

We haven't done a short-era 60s sim or pre-steroids 90s.

In.

How would the advance draft work? We draft players now, but don't actually run the sim until November? If I have that right, it seems like a long window to hold interest. Maybe we could do another short era and then draft 2010 rosters while that one is simming?

I have no particular era preference otherwise.

[*]Advance 2010 sim. I thrown this idea out before. We'd basically be drafting players on spec and would replay the season in Oct-Nov after WIS posts the 2010 stats. We'd have to allow a mulligan or two to allow for injuries but I think this would add a lot of variability to the usual nerd.gif fish2.gif
I like this idea a lot. Combines the speculation of fantasy with the team-building strategy of WIS. A :lmao: dream. I'd rather do it before a season started, but it will be many months before we're in that position again.Two possible solutions to the AB/IP crunch:

1. Allow AAA players. We've never used them and I don't really know how they work, but they could help make sure everyone has enough bodies.

2. Extend the draft to 30 rounds, then trim rosters to 25 after the season.

I also think the format should depend a little bit on the field of players. There were a lot of guys in WIS basketball that were interested in trying baseball for the first time. If they all show up, it might be best to do something simple and straightforward.

If we end up with just the usual cast, we may want to be more creative.

I also think the format should depend a little bit on the field of players. There were a lot of guys in WIS basketball that were interested in trying baseball for the first time. If they all show up, it might be best to do something simple and straightforward.If we end up with just the usual cast, we may want to be more creative.
:lmao: If we have a lot of new blood, a straightforward short-era modern draft might be the best. Maybe we can add some dice in for Koya's benefit :lmao:

I'm in.

If we have a lot of new blood, a straightforward short-era modern draft might be the best
With enough new blood, could let each team have a player from 2009. Or maybe one from 2009 and another one from 2008. After that, we'd draft the remaining rosters from 2010 on spec.

I think we are going to need an interim if we want to do the 2010 draft. Great idea, but are we really going to just sit around for that long? Perhaps we do it like this:

two drafts, one right after the other OR run concurrently...

If we do one after the other, it would give newbies a chance to see how things work with this sim, or at least how a draft goes. We could then draft for the 2010 season.

ToC league still hasn't fully formed from the last season. 31 of 32 teams in.

for XIV, have you ever done an age of player filter? Something like have to be under 26 or over 35.

Last edited by a moderator:
for XIV, have you ever done an age of player filter? Something like have to be under 26 or over 35.
I like the idea, but the question with similar ideas has been whether the draft center can handle it.I think it would be fun to do an all-time draft restricted to either the really young or really old.

BTW, not to sound like a ########, but I really think this league should be 16 teams. JMO
Some formats e.g. WWII demand 16 teams. I'd like to shoot for 24 if we can. If the crap WIS basketball sim hasn't sucked the interest out of the guys from the hoops thread, we can fall back to 16.

BTW, not to sound like a ########, but I really think this league should be 16 teams. JMO
Some formats e.g. WWII demand 16 teams. I'd like to shoot for 24 if we can. If the crap WIS basketball sim hasn't sucked the interest out of the guys from the hoops thread, we can fall back to 16.
My problem is that the more teams we get, the more likely we got owners who destroy the draft and don't check in after the draft.

I'd be down for the 2010 draft, other older years I don't know enough about. I'll keep checking in to see what you guys want to do.

from last season, my League of Champions finally made it to all 32 teams. I'm the #7 seed, fwiw. Starts tomorrow.

IN (14)

eephus

jfranco77

Koya

Arsenal of Doom

Doug B

MrPhoenix

Hoos

Larryboy

bobucarow

rodg12

HellToupee

TU

AcerFC

Northern Voice

ACTIVE IN THREAD BUT NO FORMAL COMMIT (3)

Spartans

oso diablo

RnR

ACTIVE IN THREAD BUT :unsure: (1)

scoobus

SO SAD (1)

Frostillicus

from last season, my League of Champions finally made it to all 32 teams. I'm the #7 seed, fwiw. Starts tomorrow.
first, i thought being a 7 seed was a good thing in a 32-team league. But it means i'm one of 4 such 7 seeds, in 4 brackets seeded 1-8.My first round opponent has:

Babe Ruth 1921

Lou Gehrig 1927

Mickey Mantle 1957

Joe Dimaggio 1941

Alex Rodriguez 2007

Derek Jeter 2005

Tony Lazerri 1929

Bill Dickey 1937

Paul O'Neill 1994

His pitching has:

Jack Chesbro 1904

Russ Ford 1910

Ron Guidry 1978

Mo Rivera 1996

among others

What a joke!

IN (17)

eephus

jfranco77

Koya

Arsenal of Doom

Doug B

MrPhoenix

Hoos

Larryboy

bobucarow

rodg12

HellToupee

TU

AcerFC

Northern Voice

Spartans

oso diablo

Greco

ACTIVE IN THREAD BUT NO FORMAL COMMIT (1)

RnR

ACTIVE IN THREAD BUT :rolleyes: (1)

scoobus

SO SAD (1)

Frostillicus

oso diablo said:
first, i thought being a 7 seed was a good thing in a 32-team league. But it means i'm one of 4 such 7 seeds, in 4 brackets seeded 1-8.My first round opponent has:Babe Ruth 1921Lou Gehrig 1927Mickey Mantle 1957 ...What a joke!
You might be surprised. My WIS VIII team made it to a Tournament of Champions Final Four against squads like this. One of us other FFA WIS guys, I think, won the whole enchilada against such super-squads.

As far as format goes, I'd like either a WWII era or a 2000-2009 sim. If I had to choose, I'd chose the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread