What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL WIS XVI Draft Thread *** (5 Viewers)

'jfranco77 said:
Liked Brett a lot but probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger. Actually put together some rankings last night. Ignoring franchise scarcity I have Brett ranked around #35 among hitters. So that's a lot of value on franchise scarcity if my numbers are even close.
so you're saying there's a chance...
What I'm really saying is I have no idea but yes, there's a chance that it's a really good pick. :popcorn:

I had Brett and Foxx with high scarcity ratings(plus you can move Foxx to catcher which offers some nice flexibility)Not surprised at the number of high IP dead ballers going early, 300+ high quality IP also offers some nice flexibility.

I had Brett and Foxx with high scarcity ratings(plus you can move Foxx to catcher which offers some nice flexibility)Not surprised at the number of high IP dead ballers going early, 300+ high quality IP also offers some nice flexibility.
:goodposting:Plus, I historically draft horrible pitching, so trying something new. White Sox not the most prolific of teams, either.

Ok, tough decision here. Was someone I thought was just a bit better here, but this guy has performed well for me in the past and going to try a little early scarcity. Nearly 300 IP from a franchise that has a pretty weak offering overall:

Mike Scott P

Woulda killed for Walter Johnson or Pete Alexander, but knew neither would drop.

Ok, tough decision here. Was someone I thought was just a bit better here, but this guy has performed well for me in the past and going to try a little early scarcity. Nearly 300 IP from a franchise that has a pretty weak offering overall:

Mike Scott P

Woulda killed for Walter Johnson or Pete Alexander, but knew neither would drop.
another guy I was considering but just couldn't do it...

I was really hoping Joss would fall, but I knew that was unlikely. So I'll take the other guy at the top of my board by a wide margin, and franchise/position scarcity be damned.

Lou Gehrig, 1B, New York Yankees

I was really hoping Joss would fall, but I knew that was unlikely. So I'll take the other guy at the top of my board by a wide margin, and franchise/position scarcity be damned.

this is who i was all set to take when i got up this morning. just a monster season in 27.one of the reasons i took Brett instead was because i figured Gehrig would get snapped up within a pick or two, but someone (other than me) would get mad value on Brett. just didn't want Gehrig to fall to you, dadgumit.

I still don't think franchise scarcity will be a major factor until the middle rounds but it was depressing to cross 90 years worth of Cleveland players off my draft board.

this is who i was all set to take when i got up this morning. just a monster season in 27.one of the reasons i took Brett instead was because i figured Gehrig would get snapped up within a pick or two, but someone (other than me) would get mad value on Brett. just didn't want Gehrig to fall to you, dadgumit.
He was certainly in consideration when I picked as well, but position and team had me go elsewhere this early

I still don't think franchise scarcity will be a major factor until the middle rounds but it was depressing to cross 90 years worth of Cleveland players off my draft board.
It was between Brown and Joss for me. I liked the Cleveland depth more than the Cubs.

On cell phone so of someone can pm next I'd appreciate it.Also, for those with my cell phone feel free to text when my picks come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.20 Steve "Lefty" Carlton

In Carlton's first season with Philadelphia, he led the league in wins (27), complete games (30), strikeouts (310), and ERA (1.97), despite playing for a team whose final record was 59–97. His 1972 performance earned him his first Cy Young award and the Hickok Belt as the top professional athlete of the year. His having won 46% of his team's victories that season is a record in modern major league history. Carlton attributed his success to his grueling training regimen, which included Eastern martial arts techniques, the most famous of which was twisting his fist to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket of rice.

Some highlights of Carlton's 1972 season included starting the season with 5 wins and 1 loss, then losing 5 games in a row, during which period the Phillies scored only 10 runs. At this point he began a 15-game winning streak. After it ended at a 20–6 record, he finished the final third of the year with 7 more wins and 4 losses, ending with 27 wins and 10 losses. Since he completed 30 of 41 starts, the 1972 Phillies rarely needed the bullpen when Steve Carlton pitched.

During the 18 games of the winning streak (3 were no-decisions), Carlton pitched 155 innings, allowed 103 hits and 28 runs (only 17 in the 15 winning games), issued 39 walks, and had 140 strikeouts. From July 19, 1972 to August 13, 1972 he pitched six complete games, won six games, allowed only 1 earned run, and threw four shutouts. Over this period he pitched 56 innings, allowing only one unearned run. He had three pitches, a rising fastball, a legendary slider, and a long looping curve ball. Baseball commentators during 1972 regularly remarked that Carlton's slider was basically unhittable. He was also a good hitter for a pitcher; at times he pinch-hit for the Phillies during 1972.

Last edited by a moderator:
#### no, traveling and haven't been reading closely enough. Would prefer to repick that but will keep Bonds if required. Clearly my issue, just didn't anticipate any reason for a cutoff.

I quit. If I can't read 21 names on a list, there's no way I'll ever make it through this thing.
The shark move here is to blast the Commissioner for not keeping the OP up to date
#1 rule of WIS Commissioners: KEEP THE OP UPDATED.
Been out on a school field trip with my daughter. Figured Kraft & his newfangled GoogleSheet had it covered :D
Effin Kraft...

Users who are viewing this thread