What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis in the Suburbs (1 Viewer)

Otis in the Suburbs

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Right-O

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • You betcha

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters
The insulation can be purchased at any home improvement store. The R value is determined by the thickness, obviously, so we would need to know exactly how thick O's insulation is. This is a pretty standard install on new homes that are not insulated with foam, or anytime you reside the house.

'Otis said:
Show of hands -- how many of you have ever re-sided your own home?
Are you serious, Otis? When I buy my house, I'll contract out as much renovation as I can afford. Maybe I'll do a few things that interest me, but so far, none of the projects that you've "completed" strike my fancy. :yawn:ETA: if I tackle a project, it will be something that takes most people more than 15 minutes to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is where we talk about home stuff:

I got this awesome attachment for my pressure washer (Otis, you want a pressure washer if you don't have one already). Craftsman surface cleaner. Only works up to 3000 PSI (I have a 2500 PSI Honda). There is a spinning arm inside of a heavy plastic dome, the spinning arm has two heads on it with light pressure. So it doesn't tear up my deck, and doesn't leave streaks like when you use the fan nozzle and sweep back and forth.

I have a large deck, 2 concrete patios & a massive driveway that need to be cleaned. We get a lot of moss/algae type stuff up here in WA, so it's a constant battle to keep stuff maintained.

This thing seriously cut the time it took to do my deck from about 3 hours to 30 minutes. I did my driveway in an hour and a half, which normally is a multiple day project.

I documented it with my iPhone:

That looks awesome Brit...I may have to drop the coin to get that for my front steps and back patio. Looks like it'd be $ well spent. Do you use anything special to clean it, or just water?Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

'Otis said:
Are you serious, Otis? When I buy my house, I'll contract out as much renovation as I can afford. Maybe I'll do a few things that interest me, but so far, none of the projects that you've "completed" strike my fancy. :yawn:
house no, 2 car detached garage, yes.
How long did it take you? Did you use a staple gun?

Here is a pic off the web http://listingbyzip.com/images/Insulation_under_siding.JPGI think it may be called foam board or fan foam board.
Hmm, that looks pretty nice. Any idea what the R value is? Someday I'm gonna have to get something major done to our place. This seems like a good option. our siding is OK, but not great right now. Do you mind if I ask how much it cost for the insulation/siding?
I was expecting it to cost us 25k, at least around here. I was pleasantly surprised when the estimate came in a shade under 20k. In fact, he probably had built in a little negotiating room, but I was so stunned at his estimate I just shook his hand and said "when can you start?"The guys are doing a fantastic job too. Not only is the siding spanking new and nice, but the detailing around the framing and edges is great. Even things like a water spigot, a light fixture, they put special framing boxes around all these things. Just a much better job than was done here previously.To your point in another post, a power washer is on my short list of things we'll need. The folks before us let the siding get super dirty and nasty. I plan to keep this place up and looking nice.

We get a lot of moss/algae type stuff up here in WA, so it's a constant battle to keep stuff maintained.
Big question here. Due to all the trees hanging over the house and shade, we have a lot of these issues. On the roofing, visible from the yard, there is some greenish coloring at certain parts. I'm planning once this is all done to eventually get up at that and try and clean that moss/whatever it is staining off those roof portions (the roof is grey, so it shows). Is there some kind of cleaning solvent I can use for this? I'm thinking a power washer and some specialized heavy duty cleaner might do the trick.

'Otis said:
Are you serious, Otis? When I buy my house, I'll contract out as much renovation as I can afford. Maybe I'll do a few things that interest me, but so far, none of the projects that you've "completed" strike my fancy. :yawn:
house no, 2 car detached garage, yes.
How long did it take you? Did you use a staple gun?
nail gun (the only way IMO) and over 1 weekend (30x40 pole barn) with my BIL.

I got this awesome attachment for my pressure washer (Otis, you want a pressure washer if you don't have one already). Craftsman surface cleaner. Only works up to 3000 PSI (I have a 2500 PSI Honda). There is a spinning arm inside of a heavy plastic dome, the spinning arm has two heads on it with light pressure. So it doesn't tear up my deck, and doesn't leave streaks like when you use the fan nozzle and sweep back and forth.

I have a large deck, 2 concrete patios & a massive driveway that need to be cleaned. We get a lot of moss/algae type stuff up here in WA, so it's a constant battle to keep stuff maintained.

This thing seriously cut the time it took to do my deck from about 3 hours to 30 minutes. I did my driveway in an hour and a half, which normally is a multiple day project.

Just water this time. I have used deck cleaner in the past when it was really bad. The previous owner let it go. 1:10 deck cleaner to water solution, just sloshed around the dirtiest spots before the pressure washer. Mostly I'm just getting green stuff trying to grow, or black stuff from the trees. I think you really only need detergent if it's super dirty or cleaning oil or something.

wish Id known about this last weekend, Craftsman Club sale... :kicksrock: have to look it up on the Sears site this week.. Father's Day gift Thanks again! :thumbup:

SEARS LINK

We get a lot of moss/algae type stuff up here in WA, so it's a constant battle to keep stuff maintained.
Big question here. Due to all the trees hanging over the house and shade, we have a lot of these issues. On the roofing, visible from the yard, there is some greenish coloring at certain parts. I'm planning once this is all done to eventually get up at that and try and clean that moss/whatever it is staining off those roof portions (the roof is grey, so it shows). Is there some kind of cleaning solvent I can use for this? I'm thinking a power washer and some specialized heavy duty cleaner might do the trick.
No pressure washer on the roof IMO. It will take all the sand off the shingles I think. I put up those zinc strips (z stop brand I think) so that helps. I think $50 for enough to do my roof and garage. The easiest way to kill moss & algae on the roof that I've found is to have the wife get like 10 boxes of detergent at the dollar tree. Get up on the roof and sprinkle that stuff liberally on the mossy areas and above them. The rain will take care of the rest. You'll have to clean the dead moss out of your gutters though when it accumulates.

No pressure washer on the roof IMO. It will take all the sand off the shingles I think. I put up those zinc strips (z stop brand I think) so that helps. I think $50 for enough to do my roof and garage. The easiest way to kill moss & algae on the roof that I've found is to have the wife get like 10 boxes of detergent at the dollar tree. Get up on the roof and sprinkle that stuff liberally on the mossy areas and above them. The rain will take care of the rest. You'll have to clean the dead moss out of your gutters though when it accumulates.
Learn me some more about this "zinc strip" business. Will this get the green crap off my roof that the slobs before us left? TIA

The easiest way to kill moss & algae on the roof that I've found is to have the wife get like 10 boxes of detergent at the dollar tree. Get up on the roof and sprinkle that stuff liberally on the mossy areas and above them. The rain will take care of the rest. You'll have to clean the dead moss out of your gutters though when it accumulates.
Any chance of getting a series of 32 pictures documenting you doing this?

20k for all that work is about what I thought. That's a lot of dough for me so it would be a ways off.
Honestly, it's worth it, because it looks like a brand new house from the outside. They're finishing up the last portion tomorrow, but a lot of the front is done today and even some of the shutters are up, and wife and I stood out front looking up and thinking this was exactly what we pictured in terms of our house. We'll need to put an extension on it one day to make it as grand as we hope it could be (we have dreams of those huge white center hall colonials, like the one from Home Alone, all done up for Christmas), but it's a damn good start, at least for us.

20k for all that work is about what I thought. That's a lot of dough for me so it would be a ways off.
Honestly, it's worth it, because it looks like a brand new house from the outside. They're finishing up the last portion tomorrow, but a lot of the front is done today and even some of the shutters are up, and wife and I stood out front looking up and thinking this was exactly what we pictured in terms of our house. We'll need to put an extension on it one day to make it as grand as we hope it could be (we have dreams of those huge white center hall colonials, like the one from Home Alone, all done up for Christmas), but it's a damn good start, at least for us.
Driven by that home alone house. Not as big as you'd think

The easiest way to kill moss & algae on the roof that I've found is to have the wife get like 10 boxes of detergent at the dollar tree. Get up on the roof and sprinkle that stuff liberally on the mossy areas and above them. The rain will take care of the rest. You'll have to clean the dead moss out of your gutters though when it accumulates.
:lmao: :popcorn:

No pressure washer on the roof IMO. It will take all the sand off the shingles I think. I put up those zinc strips (z stop brand I think) so that helps. I think $50 for enough to do my roof and garage.

Learn me some more about this "zinc strip" business. Will this get the green crap off my roof that the slobs before us left? TIA
It won't do a great job killing the existing stuff. That's what the detergent is for. It will help reduce/prevent new stuff from growing. Link to product I used:

LINK

Driven by that home alone house. Not as big as you'd think
It's damn big. At least for us NYC burb folks.

They're finishing up the last portion tomorrow, but a lot of the front is done today and even some of the shutters are up, and wife and I stood out front looking up and thinking this was exactly what we pictured in terms of our house.
Any tears shed?
No, but we knocked back a couple of glasses of wine, a scotch on the rocks, and about 6 Marlboro lights.

No pressure washer on the roof IMO. It will take all the sand off the shingles I think. I put up those zinc strips (z stop brand I think) so that helps. I think $50 for enough to do my roof and garage.

Best way to clean moss off roof...

Stand by, I'll dig some up.

They're finishing up the last portion tomorrow, but a lot of the front is done today and even some of the shutters are up, and wife and I stood out front looking up and thinking this was exactly what we pictured in terms of our house.
Any tears shed?
No, but we knocked back a couple of glasses of wine, a scotch on the rocks, and about 6 Marlboro lights.
:thumbup: (except for the smokes)

Maybe a really stupid question but -- do you guys actually climb up on your roofs to clean/fix stuff? How do you do that? Like, with a ladder? Sounds totally scary/dangerous.

Best way to clean moss off roof...
Are you messing with me?You could try it. I think you would end up with gutters full of sand and reduce the life of your roof. I could be wrong, maybe it's totally safe. The detergent attack has worked quite effectively for me in the past.

Maybe a really stupid question but -- do you guys actually climb up on your roofs to clean/fix stuff? How do you do that? Like, with a ladder? Sounds totally scary/dangerous.
Absolutely. Just put up a ladder and get up there. It's very nice up there, and I sometimes will have a couple beers up there. I don't have a super steep pitch however. You can get a safety harness if you are worried. My GB does that on his steep roof.

:lmao:
Perhaps one of the first completely non-shtick questions I've been laughed at for in here. :bag:
I haven't done this type of stuff in years, but as a teenager helping my dad out we would either climb the ladder or climb out a bedroom window to get on the roof.

I doubt anyone wants to see a 32 picture documentary of an Otis project. It will be 1 shot of the before picture, then a shot every 5 seconds afterwards.

28 picture documentary of me & my wife re-surfacing my blacktop this weekend:

LINK

Cleaned with that awesome pressure washer attachment, filled cracks, cleaned out any loose weeds and stuff from the edges and did the re-surface gunk.

This stuff is super messy FYI. I had this stuff all over me. Factor in the cost of some new housework shoes when considering this project.

awesome

Perhaps one of the first completely non-shtick questions I've been laughed at for in here. :bag:
I haven't done this type of stuff in years, but as a teenager helping my dad out we would either climb the ladder or climb out a bedroom window to get on the roof.
Yes, it is seriously scary, depending on the height of your roof and other things like what you plant your ladder on (grass yard or walkway/driveway) for a sturdy base for ladder. No kidding, I had a good friend who was up on a older wooden ladder cleaning his gutters and the ladder broke. He hit his driveway and blew out his knee and was jacked up quite severely. I could not picture myself standing on my roof, I can only see bad things happening vs the money to pay someone else to be up there.

They have moss roof stuff do, probably basically detergent. I need to buy some. I was on the lwer part of my roof, need to get up on the higher part soon. My top gutter came off the house and my ladder fully extended just barely reaches the top of the house. So that was a bit sketchy climbing up and trying to reach the gutter to hammer in the gutter spike. To get on my room I need to climb up the ladder on the gargage, then pull the ladder up and climb up to the second story.

Briggs and Stratton has one alsohttp://www.lowes.com/pd_106124-348-6178_4294858702_4294933768_?productId=3306786&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Pressure%2BWasher%2BAccessories_4294858702_4294933768_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1&facetInfo=

Yes, it is seriously scary, depending on the height of your roof and other things like what you plant your ladder on (grass yard or walkway/driveway) for a sturdy base for ladder. No kidding, I had a good friend who was up on a older wooden ladder cleaning his gutters and the ladder broke. He hit his driveway and blew out his knee and was jacked up quite severely. I could not picture myself standing on my roof, I can only see bad things happening vs the money to pay someone else to be up there.

LINK

Cleaned with that awesome pressure washer attachment, filled cracks, cleaned out any loose weeds and stuff from the edges and did the re-surface gunk.

This stuff is super messy FYI. I had this stuff all over me. Factor in the cost of some new housework shoes when considering this project.
Beautiful Job Brit!!! and yep, you pretty much plan on throwing everything you wear out after a job with this stuff.

Also, was the house built before 1978? Any lead paint concerns?
Built in 1920.We're not doing major demolition at this point, so no real lead paint concerns. When we go to put on an extension one day, we may want to clear kids out for a couple days during the demo work (we may want to do that anyway since we'll be without a kitchen etc.)

LINK

WTF?

LINK

WTF?

LINK

WTF?
this thread just keeps on delivering

LINK

WTF?
:goodposting:

FWIW - 2 weeks later and my basement mouse hasn't touched the poison nor the mousetrap (shoulda used crunchy peanut butter, I just knew it). No dead mouse smell yet either. The most pathetic part is me walking around our storage area and frighteningly kicking boxes and other things on the floor trying to expose it. The mouse is winning so far.

Another pest-related question - when you find a dead bird or other animal in the yard, do you toss it in the garbage, or bury it? I buried a dead robin that flew into our window.

LINK

WTF?
this thread just keeps on delivering
:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread