What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots being investigated after Colts game (2 Viewers)

Percent of NFL teams actively trying to steal play sheets?

• 0%

Votes: 90 33.0%
  • 25%

Votes: 91 33.3%
  • 50%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • 100%

Votes: 57 20.9%

• Total voters
This doesnt slam the door shut on anything, but the walls seem to be closing in. There's wiggle room yes, but there seems to be less and less. I still dont think they'll to be able to connect the dots....but...anyone who watched Brady's Super Bowl pregame interview knows he knew.

I hate to give Costas credit for anything, but the interview that aired Super Bowl Sunday with Brady was the key. Brady had every chance to say he had nothing to do with it, and refused to do so. After seeing that interview I could no longer give the benefit of the doubt.

I still strongly doubt the Patriots get punished for this. There's too much that needs to come together for those that require a weapon, body and blood to know that the Pats are the dirtiest of the dirty and most arrogant of the arrogant.
What about THAT article suggests the walls are closing in... or anything for that matter.

I read it hoping to find something new - something factual. Instead it is more of the same - a leak of confusing and bizarre details followed by comments from the league that they have no comment...

So, what would be the point of the locker room guy handing a ball to an alternate official to put with the rest of the kicking balls?

Would love your insight rather than more of your obvious agenda.
Yay, we are back to Pat fan conspiracy accusations and agendas again!

Can we get a "salty hater" thrown in?

We were doing fine until you suggested that it was a fact the league was investigating the Pats for ball tampering in the BAL-NE game, and that whatever this turns out to be somehow links the two in some insidious plot.

Interesting that this introduces K-balls to the equation.

The Ravens complaint to the NFL the week before was about k-balls. And that's not a rumor. Harbaugh admitted they complained before the AFC Championship and that the NFL investigated.
Got a link for that?Last I heard, Harbaugh and Tucker both said those claims were bs.

First quote I could find, but its from the same statement.

Its really not something that is in the forefront of our mind, I can tell you, Harbaugh said Wednesday. I know the NFL is doing an investigation and they called some of our people about it. Our guys answered as far as I know, I dont know exactly what the conversations were they answered honestly.

Harbaugh said nobody on his team noticed anything with the Patriots offensive balls because they never had a chance to handle those. He said they did notice softer kicking balls, but at the time, they simply attributed it to cold weather.

As far as the kicking balls, you know it was 20 degrees out, so the balls were softer, our guys told us during the game. I just chalked that up to the fact that it was cold, Harbaugh said. Both teams were kicking the same kicking ball. I didnt really think anything of it during the game. Other than that, its not something that I really gave any thought to at all.
Yeah, Ill get it for you.

Dont fall for Harbaugh and Tucker trying to get out of the cross-hairs of BB.

Putting all of the kiss butt stuff (that the press focused on) aside:

1.) they complained to the NFL about k-balls

2.) the NFL investigated

Standby....
Clearly Harbaugh's objective was (1) not to lie, and (2) not to draw the ire of the Patriots in the future.

When it comes to #1 he states definitively that the Ravens special teams complained to him and that the league contacted them about it. You fill in the blank about how the league heard about a private conversation between him and his special teams.

When it comes to #2, he states clearly he thinks there was no wrongdoing. That is a total CYA statement; fine, I'd do the same thing. But it does not take away from #1 at all.

You need to listen to the audio to hear Harbaugh say (1) his guys brought it up in game and (2) that the NFL investigated: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-ravens-did-not-notice-anything-about-patriots-footballs-being-deflated-john-harbaugh-said-20150121-story.html
Yeah, were talking about the same thing - Harbaugh never complained about it or suspected wrong doing, the original complaint being referenced here, that Tucker later said was BS was that Tucker was joking that he wanted to bomb some balls but couldn't because the balls were soft.Both teams used the same k-balls (which is always the case), the Ravens had 10 kick/punt returns that game, the Pats had 8. Tucker and Ghost normally kick balls into low orbit.
Yes, they ran for the hills when the press came calling. "Whooo meeeeeeee? John Harbaugh? Complain about the Patriots?!?! Neeeevverrr!!!!"

Or did you just not say your team mentioned the k-balls to you during the game?

So why did the NFL call you John to ask about their K-balls? The NFL just had a hunch? How did your teams' private conversations get to Park Avenue?

"Whaaaat? Just a coincidence of course! Me, complain about the Patriots?!?! Neeeevverrr!!!!"
I think it was more of a timeline thing, being the game that immediately preceded the AFCCG.Also, Harbaugh spent an entire post game presser complaining about a thing which was entirely legal, I don't think he would have a problem complaining about something the Pats were allegedly caught doing. Which was the case at the time he was asked, we were knee deep in the media ####storm.
The same moment Harbaugh was complaining about formations Brady was telling the Ravens to "read the rule book". I'd imagine the leak-train to the NFL started sometime late that evening.

In any event Harbaugh confirmed in the interview that there was no concern about patriots offensive balls, but there was about k-balls. He goes on with the Belichick worship and in the middle slips in that the NFL had been with the Ravens investigating the issue.

And

This doesnt slam the door shut on anything, but the walls seem to be closing in. There's wiggle room yes, but there seems to be less and less. I still dont think they'll to be able to connect the dots....but...anyone who watched Brady's Super Bowl pregame interview knows he knew.

I hate to give Costas credit for anything, but the interview that aired Super Bowl Sunday with Brady was the key. Brady had every chance to say he had nothing to do with it, and refused to do so. After seeing that interview I could no longer give the benefit of the doubt.

I still strongly doubt the Patriots get punished for this. There's too much that needs to come together for those that require a weapon, body and blood to know that the Pats are the dirtiest of the dirty and most arrogant of the arrogant.
What about THAT article suggests the walls are closing in... or anything for that matter.

I read it hoping to find something new - something factual. Instead it is more of the same - a leak of confusing and bizarre details followed by comments from the league that they have no comment...

So, what would be the point of the locker room guy handing a ball to an alternate official to put with the rest of the kicking balls?

Yay, we are back to Pat fan conspiracy accusations and agendas again!

Can we get a "salty hater" thrown in?
I knew you couldn't answer the question.

Okay, I'll ask you straight forward then, why would a team tamper with kicking balls.

Did they gameplan to never kick a football? Both teams use the same balls for kicking and they are provided by the league - if you spend five seconds thinking about it, why would they do this?

Yay, we are back to Pat fan conspiracy accusations and agendas again!Can we get a "salty hater" thrown in?
I knew you couldn't answer the question.
Omg, we've been down the road literally 1,000 times in this thread. But here we go again...If you don't believe the report- your choice! God bless and I honestly wouldn't blame you. OTL is a joke.

If you do believe the report then yes, a Patriots officials' room over-seer's action to try to slip a ball into the game turns out to be so unusual that it rises to the level of NFL execs PERSONALLY testing PSI in the middle of a game suggests that there might be some

smoke, or walls closing in, or whatever you want to call it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is an NFL executive testing footballs during a game, when the rule book clearly states that it's the sole responsibility of the head referee to determine if the balls are approved for play?

Pardon me if i don't believe anything. Its all reaching and quite sad.
Don't blame you honestly.

OTL is awful. One example

The Syracuse/Bernie Fine thing that was so over-hyped and proven to lack credibility without even an apology from OTL.

No discipline for Mark Schwartz or Vince Doria despite lying to the public on CNN and other outlets. They're a joke.

It doesn't mean they get everything wrong. This little nugget seems tied down, but as mentioned above in this thread...there's still sufficient wiggle room in this report for it to go in any number of directions.

The Syracuse/Bernie Fine thing that was so over-hyped and proven to lack credibility without even an apology from OTL.

No discipline for Mark Schwartz or Vince Doria despite lying to the public on CNN and other outlets. They're a joke.

It doesn't mean they get everything wrong. This little nugget seems tied down, but as mentioned above in this thread...there's still sufficient wiggle room in this report for it to go in any number of directions.
I like the way they mention in the article that the locker room attendant "ducked into a bathroom". Curious choice of words there. Sure sounds to me like they have an agenda.

I like the way they mention in the article that the locker room attendant "ducked into a bathroom". Curious choice of words there. Sure sounds to me like they have an agenda.
Obviously it's Goodell's fault and he should be fired.

Okay, I'll ask you straight forward then, why would a team tamper with kicking balls.

Did they gameplan to never kick a football? Both teams use the same balls for kicking and they are provided by the league - if you spend five seconds thinking about it, why would they do this?
I'm sure they had their reasons.

I'm not going to get into this debate all over again, but count me in the camp that believes the Pats caused the balls to be what they were - not the atmosphere. To me, this is just one more indicator that something is amiss. Too many coincidences going on here from my perspective. But whatever. I was glad to see them beat the Seahawks.

I knew if anyone would get to the bottom of this it would be NFL Insider Kelly Naqi
The only reason I would ignore that article is because it seems to go back to the Mort report of 11 of the 12 balls being significantly under pressure, which was debunked by other reports. Also, throwing the whole he might have been the guy in the bathroom and trying to paint Kensil as the white knight personally checking all the balls, makes me a bit more hesitant to even give it any credence. After all the crap that came out initially, especially Mort trying to be the first guy to break the PSI amounts, I really don't trust anything ESPN says as anything more than trying to keep a story going for ratings. It's the offseason, time to make up some more stories or sources to keep discussions going.

An unapproved K-Ball?

Holy ####, you got it, [OTL]! You did it! The case cracker..."

I have to admit I was wrong. I didn't think anything would make the SB win sweeter. Salty tears are like the proverbial "icing on the cake."

I've been on the outside looking in since the first few pages, getting a "kick" out of all the haters grasping at straws, hoping and praying something comes out to prove the Pats guilty of something.

But as far as the this latest K-ball scandal goes, what would be the point? Do people actually think Tom Brady would prefer to throw a K-ball over the 12 balls he already worked in? That's insane.

Isn't it just as possible that the ballgramps gave the alternate ref the K-ball because all the other balls were being tested?

This whole thing is insane. It's amazing how many more people are up-roared over this K-ball thing, than texting the sideline, piping in crowd noise, and anything else other NFL teams are doing illegally.

I've been on the outside looking in since the first few pages, getting a "kick" out of all the haters grasping at straws, hoping and praying something comes out to prove the Pats guilty of something.

But as far as the this latest K-ball scandal goes, what would be the point? Do people actually think Tom Brady would prefer to throw a K-ball over the 12 balls he already worked in? That's insane.

Isn't it just as possible that the ballgramps gave the alternate ref the K-ball because all the other balls were being tested?

This whole thing is insane. It's amazing how many more people are up-roared over this K-ball thing, than texting the sideline, piping in crowd noise, and anything else other NFL teams are doing illegally.
Just wanted to point out, that ballgramps is actually like 40 years old and in the picture included in the article he isn't the person highlighted, he is the person in the bottom of the photo in which you can only see his head.

lol how would you like to be 40 and referred to as 'elderly' in the press, or however they described him?

these have got to be 2 different guys of kraft's 11.

I was just skimming all this -- was he giving the guy a k-ball for brady to use or for special teams?

Just wanted to point out, that ballgramps is actually like 40 years old and in the picture included in the article he isn't the person highlighted, he is the person in the bottom of the photo in which you can only see his head.
Lol, nvm I was wrong, shocker - OTL originally captioned the image as "Jim Mcnally, pictured here at the bottom...", now reads Jim Mcnally, highlighted in upper left,..".

This changed in the last three hours...

The most obnoxious thing about this article is that there are in this article four different unnamed insider sources.

How the #### are there four active insiders leaking information at the same time? Is there a situation in which the league isn't complicit in the leaking of information if thats the case?

I feel like Kensil is just feeding the media at this point.

Lol, had Naqi on ESPN just now basically spinning bs suspicion.

Then they bring on Jim Daopoulos another former game official of 11 years, with 12 years as supervisor of officiating, basically saying none of the things shes insinuating outside of attempting to put an unstamped ball into play is out of the ordinary.

This is the dumbest part of this whole thing since its inception.

Adam Schefter just took a huge dump all over this story: Apparently, the Patriots locker room attendant was given the football.... wait for it.....

By a rogue NFL employee who was FIRED from his job for stealing "game used" balls that were supposed to be auctioned with proceeds going to charity.

Holy ####. This league is a mess.

Ben Volin on Twitter:

The 2 league employees were the ones supplying McNally footballs, per Schefter, and 1 has since been fired for selling footballs on the side.

Schefter said all of this information is on video and will be in the Wells report.

:lmao:

Sounds like there's a bunch of carneys working on the fringes of the league. Rot starts at the head, but it does work its way down. The league should go after its own as hard as it went after the Saints.

I love how the members of the media STILL have to take shots at NE no matter what gets reported. Here is what PFT had to say on this . . .

The NFL has reportedly fired an employee who sold footballs that were used in the AFC Championship Game -- footballs that later became the source of the Deflategate controversy when the Patriots were accused of playing with under-inflated footballs on offense. Adam Schefter reported on ESPN today that the footballs used in the game were supposed to be donated to charity, but that one employee took some footballs and sold them instead.

“There are a few different league officials, according to people I spoke with today, at the game, who handled the footballs,” Schefter said. “League employees: League Employee 1, League Employee 2 and League Employee 3, we’ll call them, for lack of a better phrases, whose jobs are to handle the balls on game day. And League Official 1, he’s also supposed to take the balls out of play and then send them off to a charitable endeavor to raise money for a charitable endeavor that the league is embarking upon. Only on this day, and since that day, the league has since fired that employee for allegedly selling off some of those footballs on the side. So that employee — League Official 1 — has been fired since the AFC Championship Game.”

If this is true, League Official 1 is lucky if all that happens is he gets fired. From Schefter’s description, it sounds like League Official 1 could also be facing criminal charges for stealing NFL property and selling it.

This is, of course, a totally separate matter from the question of whether the Patriots deflated footballs in violation of league rules. But it’s relevant to Deflategate in that it shows just how little oversight there is on the footballs that are used on the field. So little oversight that it would be easy for a team to tamper with footballs — and hard for the league to conduct an investigation after the fact.

This doesnt slam the door shut on anything, but the walls seem to be closing in,

That being said:

1. I hate to give Costas credit for anything, but the interview that aired Super Bowl Sunday with Brady was the key. Brady had every chance to say he had nothing to do with it, and refused to do so. After that interview I will never believe that he is not lying through his teeth.

2. I still strongly doubt the Patriots get punished for this. There's too much that needs to come together for those that require a weapon, body and blood to know that the Pats are the dirtiest of the dirty and most arrogant of the arrogant.
Who the hell cares.
400 comments have posted to ESPN in 30 minutes.

Excluding yours of course; thanks should go to you for caring enough to post.
kim kardashian has 29m followers

your point?

NFL doing their usual excellent job dealing with this whole thing. How much more of this before Goodell has to go?

I find it amusing that the original report, posted by Tango, was on the front page of CNN. Now that Adam Shefter dropped the bomb about how it was caused by an NFL employee and not a Patriots employee, that article was pulled and replaced by...nothing about the new story.

ETA: I was wrong, it's on the very bottom of the page. It still blames a Patriot's staffer.

So Brady & Co. cheated by deflating the 12 game balls to get a level that he likes, then they try and substitute a K-ball in for one of those balls for Brady to play with.

Said 3 sources..... Does that make it more believable? What if it was 2 sources or 5 sources..

I think we have to accept the fact that espn transitioned from sports to tmz years ago

you get views by presenting scandal and mexican soaps

I think we have to accept the fact that espn transitioned from sports to tmz years ago

you get views by presenting scandal and mexican soaps
You're right and what's scary is that they report on real issues that affect peoples' lives.

This is not a real issue. After that interview on Super Bowl Sunday I believe Brady to be guilty, but this is not real-life....it wont ruin anyone's life.

But this same outfit actually reports on real issues. They report on criminal accusations, on matters of abuse, life and death.

They treat themselves like a real news organization. And when they make mistakes or they outright lie, no one holds them accountable b/c all of a sudden they're just a sports network again.

I agree theyre awful, but it's scary the amount of real damage ESPN can do.

Users who are viewing this thread