What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plaxico signs with the Jets (1 Viewer)

identikit

Footballguy
From Schefter's twitter:

Filed to ESPN: Plaxico Burress will sign with the N.Y. Jets. Confirmed. 1-year deal for $3,017,000, fully guaranteed. Plax is a Jet.

hurts Holmes a bit this year. Nice wr corp for the Jets though. Back to the future with the old Steeler wr's.

This is pretty big news as he will likely start ahead of Cotchery and line up as their #2. He wouldnt have started with the Steelers or the Giants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this make Edwards expendable?ETA: Hear the Jets are close to signing Heap.
The Jets already pulled out of the Braylon sweepstakes a day or two ago. It's pretty amazing that a 34 year old who is 2 years removed from NFL action and hasn't worked out with the Jets has an opportunity to start for a Super Bowl contending team. What a country!

I find it hard to imagine Plax having much of an impact....am I alone here?
I don't know if you are alone but I disagree. Why won't he have an impact because he was in jail? He's still huge, the Jets will have a lot of weapons so it'll be tough to double cover him and he's one of the best red zone targets. I don't necessarily think he's going to be a FF big factor but NFL wise I think he'll help the Jets a lot.

I believe he will have an impact. At 6 foot 7 and still very athletic, Plax is a valuable target for Sanchez. But this is a team that doesn't air it out much by design.
It's just my opinion, but:He's no spring chickenHe's been out of the game for a year+He's not a burnerHe has to learn a new systemHe's joining a pedestrian passing team:shrug:

I believe he will have an impact. At 6 foot 7 and still very athletic, Plax is a valuable target for Sanchez. But this is a team that doesn't air it out much by design.
It's just my opinion, but:He's no spring chickenHe's been out of the game for a year+He's not a burnerHe has to learn a new systemHe's joining a pedestrian passing team:shrug:
Braylon had over 100 targets last year and he's not coming back. Opportunity is there.

Best possible landing spot for Plax. Veteran team that's built to win now and has strong leadership. I see him with similar numbers as Braylon last year.

Braylon had over 100 targets last year and he's not coming back. Opportunity is there.
at the very least he will be a valuable red zone target. solid upside with plax.

Good spot for Plax to go...Rex is turning the Jets into the old Raiders and he should fit in seamlessly...the fact he has already played in New York is a plus...as far as how much he will contributes it's impossible to know right now...it's all speculation (good or bad) until he starts playing real games...the guy isn't young and has been in jail during a time (i.e. age) in his career where training is that much more important so that's obviously a negative...that being said the Jets appear confident he's going to contribute since they guaranteed his salary...if he can play he will be a nice compliment to Holmes and give Sanchez a big target...my guess is they hope he can replace Braylon for a year and than address this position next offseason in a more long-term manner...

I think Plax is going to be a loss less than hyped. He was under-performing in the last season before prison, and the track record for 34 year old WRs who are not the quick speedy type is not good. Yes he'll get red zone looks because of his height, but he's not going to outrun anybody and will IMO be a liability on the rest of the field.

Someone upthread suggested it would hurt Holmes. Well, Holmes is THE MAN now with no Braylon a slow, over-the-hill Plax on the other side, and the pedestrian Cotchery in th slot. Holmes should put up stud numbers if he's not caught getting high.

I could see 550 yards and 6 TDs.
So you are either:1) projecting an injury2) assuming he has a completion percentage of far less than 50%3) assuming Cotchery beats him outBold prediction.
Maybe he's just predicting he won't be that good. I think that's a pretty reasonable projection myself.
550 yds as the #2 is unrealistic statistically unless you think some combination of 1-3 happens. Of course it could happen since "he may not be that good", but unless they re-sign Edwards (unlikely) or bring in somebody else like Moss...550 is far too low; that's 35-40 receptions. Doesnt add up.

I have a hunch he may be one of the biggest impact free agents. The time away from the game may have allowed his body some extra healing. He is alway been very good and is a very big target. I would not be at all surprised to see him put up 1000-10td season.

So you are either:1) projecting an injury2) assuming he has a completion percentage of far less than 50%3) assuming Cotchery beats him outBold prediction.
Maybe he's just predicting he won't be that good. I think that's a pretty reasonable projection myself.
550 yds as the #2 is unrealistic statistically unless you think some combination of 1-3 happens. Of course it could happen since "he may not be that good", but unless they re-sign Edwards (unlikely) or bring in somebody else like Moss...550 is far too low; that's 35-40 receptions. Doesnt add up.
That could be 45 receptions at 12.5 per, with Cotchery and TE Keller getting a lot of the catches Holmes doesn't get. Cotchery doesn't have to 'beat him out,' he just plays a different position in the slot. It's not rare for a team's WR2 to get 45 receptions if the WR1 gets most of the action and the rest is spread out, especially on a run-first team.When Sanchez sees that Plax can't get open, he'll do a lot of looking elsewhere. I'll be really surprised if Plax gets to 50 catches or a YPC much above 13.

I have a hunch he may be one of the biggest impact free agents. The time away from the game may have allowed his body some extra healing. He is alway been very good and is a very big target. I would not be at all surprised to see him put up 1000-10td season.
I understand people thinking Burress can still contribute, but come on. Last year Braylon Edwards (900 yards 7 TD's) didn't hit 1000 yards or 10 TD's. Please don't forget that 3 of those TD's came in the first 4 weeks when Holmes was suspended. Edwards is a much better WR at this point in their careers. I do agree that Burress can be a good red zone target. With that said, I'd expect 4-7 TD's with about 650 yards. Burress will produce but I highly doubt he wins anyone a fantasy title.

Holmes is magic in the redzone too. I don't think Burress is the automatic first look guy for that situation.

Not thrilled with this signing, especially since its 3 million+ guaranteed.

Obvious downgrade from edwards and I think Plax is toast anyway.

With Cotchery and LT basically done, the Jets are in for a full pass catching core re-build next off-season (minus keller and holmes)

This is clearly a move for the playoffs in the Jets eyes and not anything else. Its going to take Plax several months to get into football condition and get back a good feel for the game. The Jets will be using their defense and running game to get them to the playoffs. I wouldn't pick up Plax until a few weeks into the season.

Sanchez's stats the last two seasons look like Trent Dilfers career stats. IE he ####### sucks but his team more than compensates.

Holmes is magic in the redzone too. I don't think Burress is the automatic first look guy for that situation.
Plax is a fantastic lob catcher. If it's within the five yard line, defenses will be quite aware of this and give it some attention. On occasion, Eli would snap it and lob it right away-total faith in Plax. It wasn't a super common play for the Gmen, but it had an effect that helped open things up. Years ago, the Giants had a real hard time getting it into the endzone on grind it out drives and this helped dramatically-so much so that Plax' backup (he never practiced) ran this play as well and caught everyone's attention one preseason. Plax isn't the first "let's bring in a big guy and throw it high to him" type WR. This method has failed so many times, I'm not sure if it's ever worked. They're going to have to get Plax involved the entire length of the field and this "red zone weapon" talk is understandable, but some are acting as if that's the only spot he'll be used and I wanted to point out that that simply won't work. Plaxico always had a long stride that made him an unusual guy to cover and gauge his speed. He'd get some distance and be able to use his body and very long arms to grab the ball. It was an art form-something so many younger WRs simply don't understand. However, he got away with not practicing and working out precious little. Don't forget Plaxico is NOT a well coached high disciplined WR. If he doesn't have that odd gait, he is so done so fast.A couple years ago, the Chargers whole WR corps was filled with tall WRs and they surely weren't all great. Plaxico has gotten away with things most WRs can't and IIRC this was a point of contention in Pitt with his coaches. I don't know but wouldn't you figure he's not the supreme athlete he once was to get away with being lazy? Santonio is the polar opposite of Plax. I don't see how one would take away from another. The Jets have a TE that can probably play WR better than Plax can now and provide the same assets so I'm not jumping on the Plax train.

This is clearly a move for the playoffs in the Jets eyes and not anything else. Its going to take Plax several months to get into football condition and get back a good feel for the game. The Jets will be using their defense and running game to get them to the playoffs. I wouldn't pick up Plax until a few weeks into the season.Sanchez's stats the last two seasons look like Trent Dilfers career stats. IE he ####### sucks but his team more than compensates.
If so, I don't think he makes it til that point. He doesn't practice much and whines too often. I wouldn't expect a team to keep that attitude around for when it counts. Ryan will get sick of him before the playoffs then.

if Sanchez can't succeed now, he NEVER will
Sanchez has been to two AFC championship games in his first two seasons and plays his best football in the playoffs. I call that success.
Did you feel that both years were due to his play? I didn't.I'm not going to hold it against him. I probably could come up with a year where Rice or Watters or Craig overcame some "soso" play by Montana or Young to win a game and I don't hold that against them. It's just that this is a young cat developing and I don't want to cast greatness upon Sanchez just yet.

This is clearly a move for the playoffs in the Jets eyes and not anything else. Its going to take Plax several months to get into football condition and get back a good feel for the game. The Jets will be using their defense and running game to get them to the playoffs. I wouldn't pick up Plax until a few weeks into the season.Sanchez's stats the last two seasons look like Trent Dilfers career stats. IE he ####### sucks but his team more than compensates.
If so, I don't think he makes it til that point. He doesn't practice much and whines too often. I wouldn't expect a team to keep that attitude around for when it counts. Ryan will get sick of him before the playoffs then.
Stress can change people in the short term. Plax is broke and this year will totally determine if he gets another contract at all, plus the contract is 100% G'd which means the Jets are planning on keeping him the whole year.

That could be 45 receptions at 12.5 per, with Cotchery and TE Keller getting a lot of the catches Holmes doesn't get. Cotchery doesn't have to 'beat him out,' he just plays a different position in the slot. It's not rare for a team's WR2 to get 45 receptions if the WR1 gets most of the action and the rest is spread out, especially on a run-first team.When Sanchez sees that Plax can't get open, he'll do a lot of looking elsewhere. I'll be really surprised if Plax gets to 50 catches or a YPC much above 13.
Shifting the conversation slightly...Plaxico might end up with the widest variability of point-estimate predictions by owners in the fantasy this year (Owens probably was last year when he signed with cinci). Interpretation: He could contribute greatly to somebody winning a championship if drafted as a #3 and he ends up with #1 numbers...or could be a contributing factor to finish last in your league if he has lost it. Knowing that finishing in the middle of the pack is just as bad as finishing in last place....then that variability is valuable and Plax should be targeted by fantasy owners.

I don't see a guy whoes been out of Football for over 2 yrs and is in his mid 30s lining up as the #2. Cotch will be #2 and Plax will be used on 3 WR sets.

I don't see a guy whoes been out of Football for over 2 yrs and is in his mid 30s lining up as the #2. Cotch will be #2 and Plax will be used on 3 WR sets.
That question should be answered before draft day. I'd say 80/20 he starts, but it's a guess right now. The NYJ havent even worked him out.

That question should be answered before draft day. I'd say 80/20 he starts, but it's a guess right now. The NYJ havent even worked him out.
Think about Mike Vick; hes 3 yrs younger and a much better athlete, it took a yr and half before he regained himself. Plus rumor was Vick trained like a mad man in prison. Plax was in county prison and didn't get the same treatment... he walking into a shorted Training camp cold.

Think about Mike Vick; hes 3 yrs younger and a much better athlete, it took a yr and half before he regained himself. Plus rumor was Vick trained like a mad man in prison. Plax was in county prison and didn't get the same treatment... he walking into a shorted Training camp cold.
That is not a fair comparison. They signed Plax to a 1 year deal for $3 million. No option. He's on the field ASAP and they wouldnt have done that deal for any other reason and certainly not to develop him. that doesnt mean he will tear it up, but no one was even thinking about him coming in and carrying a clipboard like Vick had to in order to learn to lead the entire offense. Vick comparisons will be very helpful for those who want Plax for cheap. If Plax doesnt cut it (I assume that he needs to make the final roster for the contract to be in force), they'll know early and cut him in camp. If he is kept, he probably starts in September.

Shifting the conversation slightly...Plaxico might end up with the widest variability of point-estimate predictions by owners in the fantasy this year (Owens probably was last year when he signed with cinci). Interpretation: He could contribute greatly to somebody winning a championship if drafted as a #3 and he ends up with #1 numbers...or could be a contributing factor to finish last in your league if he has lost it. Knowing that finishing in the middle of the pack is just as bad as finishing in last place....then that variability is valuable and Plax should be targeted by fantasy owners.
There is no chance he ends up with #1 #s. In the last few years only Reggie Wayne and T.O have ended up with top 12 (non-ppr) numbers around that age and Plax has never had their approach to the game + hes been out of the game for 2 years.

:goodposting:

Vick wasn't given a chance to hit the ground running. Who knows how he would have fared if they had let him start from when he was signed? Also, Vick was never as good as he was last year.

Stress can change people in the short term. Plax is broke and this year will totally determine if he gets another contract at all, plus the contract is 100% G'd which means the Jets are planning on keeping him the whole year.
NFL teams lose a ton of money to contracts every year. I think there was an article not too long ago during these negotiations on just that topic. Plaxico DOES do things that teams can fine for. This CBA involved like 10 practices a season or somesuch. I think we can bank on teams being furious if any player misses one of those 10 without a very good reason. The Jets would not go into this lightly and IIRC he did not try out. They have an "out" even if it's Ryan's temper that they can blame. Maybe 3 is the number that they thought they could handle. I would llllove to see a new and improved Plax. He could have been a best ever WR with his ability and size, but his work ethic always slowed him down. He had some excellent influences and it didn't change his "makeup" so I'm less than enthused that stress will. I do hope so

Users who are viewing this thread