What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PreGame - Chargers V Jets (1 Viewer)

DanFouts

Footballguy
Gonna be a fun game....

Jets have nice Run Def...good thing Chargers don't run!

Vincent Jackson v Revis.......Floyd should have a great game!

I hated the last Playoff game they met..... :football:

I'll take the Jets with an outright win, Rivers is nice and has weapons, but I think a lack of any decent running game is gonna hurt SD sooner than later.

I'll take the Jets with an outright win, Rivers is nice and has weapons, but I think a lack of any decent running game is gonna hurt SD sooner than later.
nah. LT will bring it. He knows his days are numbered, and with Sproles to spell him, you might be surprised.

Sammy Traveller said:
Jake22 said:
nah. LT will bring it. He knows his days are numbered, and with Sproles to spell him, you might be surprised.
I agree. I thought he looked like crap for most of the year but he will play inspired in the playoffs.

I don't question Tomlinson's heart and drive, but his body just can't do what his mind wants him to do anymore. I think the Chargers will win, but I don't see Tomlinson having a very productive day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have to say I was kinda hoping to get revenge on the Pats for past playoff defeats.

This game will be a challenge for the bolts for sure.

#1 - SD passing strength vs NYJ pass D strength

I expect Revis to lockdown on VJax, need Floyd, Gates and Sproles to come up big this week in the air. Norv will still throw it and throw it deep.

#2 - NYJ rushing O vs SD weak Rushing D

Usually teams run it really well vs SD especially in the first half, then the D adjust and plays better later in games.

#3 - Dirty Sanchez

I got a feeling he is going to have to throw it for the Jets to win

This game will be tight I expect a Bolts win but I also expect to be nervous all game long.

I think Rivers makes the plays late that Sanchez will not. SD 21 - NYJ 13

Well I have to say I was kinda hoping to get revenge on the Pats for past playoff defeats.This game will be a challenge for the bolts for sure.#1 - SD passing strength vs NYJ pass D strengthI expect Revis to lockdown on VJax, need Floyd, Gates and Sproles to come up big this week in the air. Norv will still throw it and throw it deep. #2 - NYJ rushing O vs SD weak Rushing DUsually teams run it really well vs SD especially in the first half, then the D adjust and plays better later in games.#3 - Dirty SanchezI got a feeling he is going to have to throw it for the Jets to winThis game will be tight I expect a Bolts win but I also expect to be nervous all game long.I think Rivers makes the plays late that Sanchez will not. SD 21 - NYJ 13
:bag: Objective post. The Jets may have the best run blocking O line in the NFL. Until proven otherwise, they can pretty much run on anyone. That won't be enough. Sanchez will have to put two very good games back to back. I didn't think he had one good playoff game in him. I'm not about to do a complete about face, but maybe, just maybe he turned the corner? Gates could have a really big game, and I expect him to. The Jets safeties are very suspect. Sproles could break loose a few times too, but the Jets LB's are not bad either. The way to pass against the Jets is to get a lot of targets out there. Quick throws to stall the effectiveness of the blitz. If SD tries to throw deep before they soften up the underneath first, I don't think it will work. If SD is patient, makes the short throws early, then they could open it up later. The Jets have more trouble with big bruising RB's and power blocking O lines. I don't see LT2 having a big game. Sproles scares me a whole lot more as a reciever. I can't pick the Jets, but I think the opening line is way high.

Bolts roll next Sunday. The Jets upset in '04 is recent enough to remind everyone that no one can be taken for granted.

I expect both teams to come out fired up and play a close half, barring multiple turnovers. The Jets are able to move the ball with the running game, but struggle in the red zone and settle for several FGs. San Diego takes over in the 2nd half and the Bolts roll, 31-16.

Bolts roll next Sunday. The Jets upset in '04 is recent enough to remind everyone that no one can be taken for granted.I expect both teams to come out fired up and play a close half, barring multiple turnovers. The Jets are able to move the ball with the running game, but struggle in the red zone and settle for several FGs. San Diego takes over in the 2nd half and the Bolts roll, 31-16.
As opposed to the previous Chrager fan's post.... homerism at it's best here. No way the Chargers put up 30 points. Not unless Sanchez goes back to throwing pick 6's. But The Bolts O won't score like that... no way.

In a highly unlikely turn of events, should Balt and the NYJ win next week... one more game would be played in the "closed" Meadowlands stadium.

could revis cover gates? think that would be smarter with vincent jackson at less than 100 percent (and maybe significantly).

My comments from the earlier thread:I'm a Charger fan and I worry about any team that can run the ball well enough to win the time of possession by a huge margin. A couple of times this was the Chargers' achilles heel - the defense not getting off the field.------------Hope Kaeding doesn't review film from his other game against the Jets in the post-season.Or pretty much most of his post-season games:

In January, 2005, Kaeding became only the second rookie in NFL history to attempt a potential game-winning field goal in the playoffs in the 4th quarter or overtime. His 40-yard field goal attempt missed, and the Chargers lost in the wild card round to the New York Jets, who won the game on a Doug Brien field goal.In the 2007 Pro Bowl, Kaeding kicked a game winning 21-yard field goal with four seconds left.Kaeding's postseason struggles continued in the 2006 NFL Playoffs, when he missed a game tying 54-yard field goal attempt against the New England Patriots. He had not missed a field goal at home in the previous two years prior to that 54-yard attempt.Kaeding suffered a fractured left leg when he made a tackle on the opening kickoff against the Denver Broncos on December 24, 2007 and played the final 5 games of the season on the fractured leg. [1]In the 2007 playoffs Kaeding missed a field goal each in the Wild Card weekend game against Tennessee (which San Diego won) and against the Indianapolis Colts (which San Diego also won). Nate's streak of consecutive playoff games with a missed field goal stood at 4 but was ended with a made field goal from 40 yards against New England.

Bolts roll next Sunday. The Jets upset in '04 is recent enough to remind everyone that no one can be taken for granted.I expect both teams to come out fired up and play a close half, barring multiple turnovers. The Jets are able to move the ball with the running game, but struggle in the red zone and settle for several FGs. San Diego takes over in the 2nd half and the Bolts roll, 31-16.
As opposed to the previous Chrager fan's post.... homerism at it's best here. No way the Chargers put up 30 points. Not unless Sanchez goes back to throwing pick 6's. But The Bolts O won't score like that... no way.
Why is it automatically homerism, b/c I'm not predicting an extremely tight game? Is Vegas a Charger homer as well?

Bolts roll next Sunday. The Jets upset in '04 is recent enough to remind everyone that no one can be taken for granted.

I expect both teams to come out fired up and play a close half, barring multiple turnovers. The Jets are able to move the ball with the running game, but struggle in the red zone and settle for several FGs. San Diego takes over in the 2nd half and the Bolts roll, 31-16.
Why is it automatically homerism, b/c I'm not predicting an extremely tight game? Is Vegas a Charger homer as well?
I would say because you expect the NFL's best defense to surrender over 30 points and lose by more than two TD's. Sure that could happen, but it's unlikely... sounds more like wishful thinking by a fan. The Jets should be able to run some, and eat plenty of clock. That will reduce the number of possessions SD gets. If the Jets were to lose that badly, something like 23-10 is far more likely. Like I said, if the Jets get beaten badly, it will be because Sanchez makes lots of mistakes. The Jets have given up 30 or 31 points 3 times this year. In week 5, they were not ready for the wildcat, and Miami put up 31. In week 8, Miami put up another 30, but that was on two Ted Ginn 100 yard KO returns for TD's. Then NE put up 30 in week 11 on five Sanchez turnovers. In week 4, the Jets held Brees to under 200 yards and no TD's. NO had two defensive scores and Sanchez turned the ball over 4 times. But NO still only put up 24 points.

The Jets have given up 61 points in their last 7 games. If the Jets give up 30 to SD, it will mean a near total collapse of the NFL's best defense this year. Still, I'm not saying the Jets will win, I am saying I think they will be in the game late into the 4th quarter, unless Sanchez implodes. A 23-17 SD win I think is a reasonable prediction. On the other hand, if Sanchez can play well enough to get a 120 QB rating (he was 150+ at Cinci) the Jets have an outside shot at winning.

Yeah, I'd say predicting SD to put up a 30 burger on the Jets is a bit of homerism.

My comments from the earlier thread:I'm a Charger fan and I worry about any team that can run the ball well enough to win the time of possession by a huge margin. A couple of times this was the Chargers' achilles heel - the defense not getting off the field.------------Hope Kaeding doesn't review film from his other game against the Jets in the post-season.
Good comments.I also noticed both these teams were in the top 5 for T.O.P. this season. Not a stat I think is always relevant but could be big in this game.Big chance for Kaeding, either for redemption or for the ghost of big misses to creep back in his helmet.I really think the two wild cards are Sproles and Edwards. I like Sproles to end up as the MVP of this game but it amazes me how open Edwards gets every game. If he actually catches some of those passes.....

I think the Chargers absolutely could win this game. If the Jets bring their A game SD probably won't win, but there are reasons to be optimistic if you're a Chargers fan. Rivers, Gates and Sproles should be the keys for SD, along with Floyd in the red zone. If SD wins, expect those guys to have big games.

The Chargers run D has been improving, but I don't think it's much of a match for the Jets running game. It's a shame Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins are missing this game. I think we'll see the Jets control the tempo of the game with the running game but will see some big throws to Braylon. Will he catch them? Who knows.

As for SD, they'll obviously only go as far as their offense goes. I think their downfall will be: 1) being too one-dimensional. No, I don't think SD will run for much against the Jets, but without some sort of balance on offense I think what works against most of the league won't work against the Jets. That's also because of 2) the Chargers' deep passing game. SD has, IMO, the best passing offense in the NFL, and their ability to hit big plays is unreal. But I don't think that works against a pass defense that's head and shoulders above the rest of the league, and the Jets exotic blitz packages will get to Rivers while he waits for those plays to develop. The quick, timing based passing games and the powerful running games work best against the Jets, and the Chargers don't have either.

Someone posted in another thread that the Jets have lost their last 7 games in which Sanchez threw 20+ times. Given the strength of San Diego's offense, I think there is a decent chance he'll have to throw that often this week. And I think we could see the Chargers really load up to try and stop the run, daring Sanchez to beat them.

I think this is an interesting test for Norv. He is a veteran NFL offensive coach who has pretty much seen all types of defenses, and I expect he will be able to devise a good game plan to try and effectively attack the Jets defense. On the other hand, I wonder how much time during the off week the Chargers spent planning for New England...

I like the matchup for the Jets, but not enough to predict a victory.

As has been talked above, the Jets rush O is good enough to keep the score low, keep the Chargers offense off the field for some time. I think it's possible the Jets rush for 150 and still lose. I think the Jets will run into a problem with Sproles and Gates, Vjax is limited and will be covered by Revis, so that should keep that monster at bay. It's the ankle of Harris I think that presents a problem in coverage, so I think you may see Rhodes and Leonhard come up and cover Gates. There is a reason Gates is a HoF in waiting, no one covers him completely, and I think you could see a multiple TD day.

The game may again rest in the hands of Sanchez. Of course, ideally, another 15 pass/40 rush game would likely ensure a competitve game, but not a victory. The Bolts clearly have a QB advantage, an offensive passing advantage, and a dynamic kick returner. Westoff (spec. teams coach for the Jets) is one of the best ever, but they have been a bit suspect. Sproles could pose a big threat there as well as out of the backfield.

I think if the Jet shave a chance, they need to hit Rivers, cause two plus TOs and keep that offense off the field. I don't predict a victory, but maybe a close game late.

yup. last week, i though the jets simply needed to avoid TO's to win. This week, they need to cause them.

The fact that the Jets beat SD a few years back (when the jets were worse and the chargers offense was probably better, since they had Brees and LT was in his prime) gives me some hope. But i dont think Sanchez can hold it together for 2 road games in a row. (although at least this one is in good weather).

Of course, if SD is stupid enough to throw at Revis...

Someone posted in another thread that the Jets have lost their last 7 games in which Sanchez threw 20+ times. Given the strength of San Diego's offense, I think there is a decent chance he'll have to throw that often this week. And I think we could see the Chargers really load up to try and stop the run, daring Sanchez to beat them.

I think this is an interesting test for Norv. He is a veteran NFL offensive coach who has pretty much seen all types of defenses, and I expect he will be able to devise a good game plan to try and effectively attack the Jets defense. On the other hand, I wonder how much time during the off week the Chargers spent planning for New England...
What needs to be addressed is the bolded part. The book is out on the Jets. They want to run the ball. The Bengals had the same idea in mind - stop the run, sell out and make Sanchez throw. That being said, there is a big difference between wanting to do it and actually doing it. Everyone wants to do it, but they have yet to be totally successful. If the Bolts are successful, it's lights out for the Jets. I just question whether they can shut down this Jets rushing attack. If you think they can, then it could be ugly for the Jets given Sanchez's track record (sans last week). If Sanchez can all of a sudden put tremendous outings together you never know. But this is why Sanchez is so important. He needs to make those 15 throws count like he did this week.

could revis cover gates? think that would be smarter with vincent jackson at less than 100 percent (and maybe significantly).
I was wondering the same thing. He's a very physical corner.
I hope he does. Even if Jackson is gimpy, Floyd and Nanee would have a field day against the rest of the secondary. If the Chargers can control the pass rush, I don't seen the Jets keeping them out of the endzone.

I was wondering the same thing. He's a very physical corner.
I hope he does. Even if Jackson is gimpy, Floyd and Nanee would have a field day against the rest of the secondary. If the Chargers can control the pass rush, I don't seen the Jets keeping them out of the endzone.
Lito Sheppared isn't "bad".. His biggest problem is staying healthy and he's pretty healthy right now...I've also liked Lowery since day 1 (might have gotten dinged this week) and Strickland may come back this week....The rest of the Jets secondary is pretty good, I get though that compared to Revis they all take a back seat.I do agree that the Jets pass rush better get to Rivers....

What needs to be addressed is the bolded part. The book is out on the Jets. They want to run the ball. The Bengals had the same idea in mind - stop the run, sell out and make Sanchez throw. That being said, there is a big difference between wanting to do it and actually doing it. Everyone wants to do it, but they have yet to be totally successful. If the Bolts are successful, it's lights out for the Jets. I just question whether they can shut down this Jets rushing attack. If you think they can, then it could be ugly for the Jets given Sanchez's track record (sans last week). If Sanchez can all of a sudden put tremendous outings together you never know. But this is why Sanchez is so important. He needs to make those 15 throws count like he did this week.
I didn't mean to suggest that San Diego will shut down the Jets running game, just that they'll focus there and hopefully hold it to just a solid/good day, not a great day.It is the San Diego offense that can force Sanchez to throw. If at any point in the game San Diego gets up by 2 TDs, I assume that would force the Jets to pass more, which would hopefully favor the Chargers. So IMO the pressure is on the Chargers offense to score early and on the Jets defense to keep them from doing so.

I didn't mean to suggest that San Diego will shut down the Jets running game, just that they'll focus there and hopefully hold it to just a solid/good day, not a great day.It is the San Diego offense that can force Sanchez to throw. If at any point in the game San Diego gets up by 2 TDs, I assume that would force the Jets to pass more, which would hopefully favor the Chargers. So IMO the pressure is on the Chargers offense to score early and on the Jets defense to keep them from doing so.
Yeah, but that pretty much explains every Jets game this year. Jets goal is to go up early, as they have an incredible pass defense and a great rush offense. The come from behind offense is not part of the playbook. Getting up by 2 TDs is easier said than done, though.

I think the Chargers absolutely could win this game. If the Jets bring their A game SD probably won't win, but there are reasons to be optimistic if you're a Chargers fan. Rivers, Gates and Sproles should be the keys for SD, along with Floyd in the red zone. If SD wins, expect those guys to have big games.

The Chargers run D has been improving, but I don't think it's much of a match for the Jets running game. It's a shame Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins are missing this game. I think we'll see the Jets control the tempo of the game with the running game but will see some big throws to Braylon. Will he catch them? Who knows.

As for SD, they'll obviously only go as far as their offense goes. I think their downfall will be...
Can the person accusing Gunz of homerism please address this? TIA

As for SD, they'll obviously only go as far as their offense goes. I think their downfall will be...
:lmao: Chase is talking like the Jets are some unbeatable powerhouse, and that the Chargers will have to be very lucky and/or fortunate to win the game. The scary thing is, I think he actually believes it, but it is still a major homer post.

Stinky Bait???? :lmao:

Please tell me who you're taking in this game.... :lmao:

Going to be a tough game for SD. Jets match up very well for the Chargers, which is not good. If the Chargers jump on an early lead, like they did against the Titans a few weeks ago, I think there will be a similar outcome as they keep their feet on the gas, unless Sanchez grows up right before us into a big-time QB. However, if that doesn't happen, and SD sputters on a couple back-to-back drives and the Jets running game keeps Rivers off the field, this will be a competitive game, and the Jets have a decent shot at winning. As a Chargers fan, I am optimistic even if this happens, because of the quick-strike and big-play ability that SD has. Revis poses a big problem, though, we'll need Floyd, Sproles and Nanee to step up, and Gates to dominate.

Should be a good one.

Yeah, but that pretty much explains every Jets game this year. Jets goal is to go up early, as they have an incredible pass defense and a great rush offense. The come from behind offense is not part of the playbook. Getting up by 2 TDs is easier said than done, though.
That's why I said the pressure is on the Chargers offense and Jets defense. Not the other way around IMO.

:goodposting: Chase is talking like the Jets are some unbeatable powerhouse, and that the Chargers will have to be very lucky and/or fortunate to win the game. The scary thing is, I think he actually believes it, but it is still a major homer post.
Well, you've been talking like the Jets aren't a very good team, and that they were going to lose to Cincinnati. I figured you might have changed your mind by now.Same formula, again:

Jets rush O >>>>>> Chargers rush O

Jets rush D >>>>> Chargers rush D

Jets pass D >>>>>>> Chargers pass D

Chargers pass O >>>>>>>>> Jets pass O

If you want to do it based on matchups...

Chargers pass O vs. Jets pass D = push

Jets rush O vs. Chargers rush D = big edge, Jets

Chargers rush O vs. Jets rush D = big edge, Jets

Jets pass O vs. Chargers pass D = small edge, SD

But lemme guess... if the Jets play the Colts, I'll be crazy for thinking the Jets are some powerhouse that's going to beat the Colts, right?

Please tell me who you're taking in this game.... :goodposting:
Low blow man, low blow.How was "AMSTEL 2010"?

:goodposting: Chase is talking like the Jets are some unbeatable powerhouse, and that the Chargers will have to be very lucky and/or fortunate to win the game. The scary thing is, I think he actually believes it, but it is still a major homer post.
Well, you've been talking like the Jets aren't a very good team, and that they were going to lose to Cincinnati. I figured you might have changed your mind by now.Same formula, again:

Jets rush O >>>>>> Chargers rush O

Jets rush D >>>>> Chargers rush D

Jets pass D >>>>>>> Chargers pass D

Chargers pass O >>>>>>>>> Jets pass O

If you want to do it based on matchups...

Chargers pass O vs. Jets pass D = push

Jets rush O vs. Chargers rush D = big edge, Jets

Chargers rush O vs. Jets rush D = big edge, Jets

Jets pass O vs. Chargers pass D = small edge, SD

But lemme guess... if the Jets play the Colts, I'll be crazy for thinking the Jets are some powerhouse that's going to beat the Colts, right?
what no special teams break down?

Well, you've been talking like the Jets aren't a very good team, and that they were going to lose to Cincinnati.
:shrug: Where did I say that the Bengals were going to beat the Jets this past week? Just because I correctly pointed out that the Bengals laid down for them in week 17 doesn't mean that I automatically thought the Bengals were going to win this past Saturday. I actually picked the Jets to win Saturday's game.

Well, you've been talking like the Jets aren't a very good team, and that they were going to lose to Cincinnati.
:shrug: Where did I say that the Bengals were going to beat the Jets this past week? Just because I correctly pointed out that the Bengals laid down for them in week 17 doesn't mean that I automatically thought the Bengals were going to win this past Saturday. I actually picked the Jets to win Saturday's game.
Well, last time I mentioned how good the Jets were you seemed to think I was crazy. I was assuming you took the Bengals. My bad.

Please tell me who you're taking in this game.... :shrug:
Low blow man, low blow.How was "AMSTEL 2010"?
Good times. I look forward to the special playoff edition of the Profit.

Users who are viewing this thread