What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Andy Dalton, CAR (1 Viewer)

Another point of yours is that he is bad against good teams. How do you decide what constitutes a good team? Should we look at teams that made the playoffs that year? In that case he averaged a 69% completion rate, 228 yds and a 2:1 TD to turnover ratio against "good" teams in 2013. Against bad teams he had a 60% completion rate, 281 yds and a 1.6:1 TD to turnover ratio. They went 4-0 against good teams.

Hmm...that was weird? Maybe 2013 was a bit fluky. Let's do 2012 instead. Against good teams he had a 64% completion rate, 232 yds and a 1.68:1 TD to turnover ratio. Against bad teams he had a 62% completion rate, 228 yds and a 1.69:1 TD to turnover rate. They went 2-2 versus good teams.

But yes, I know, I know. You don't believe in numbers. Your totally objective and accurate way of evaluating a player by the eye test trumps all. :wall:
i provided links for games earlier, could do the same for him in previous years too. What games did he play well? I can see his numbers. I want to know how if he played well in that game. Do his numbers match the play on the field? I didn't watch every game, but I watched a lot of them and I saw a lot more bad than good in all those games.Hey, maybe he happens to play great anytime I don't watch him. Maybe I shoulda top watching Bengals games. For his careers sake.

I am much more of a context than raw data type. Dig into those individual games and the picture isn't as pretty. 363/4/0 vs. Minnesota and 372/3/0 vs. Detroit may be great for fantasy, but in the quest for a title it doesn't mean much.
In Weeks 14-16 last year, Dalton had 9 TDs, 0 INTs, and threw for 871 yards (and his only rushing TD of the season). He was most helpful last year on fantasy teams seeking to win it all (he helped one of my win it). I agree that doesn't mean much when it comes to his awful postseason play, but for fantasy purposes, he is more than adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am much more of a context than raw data type. Dig into those individual games and the picture isn't as pretty. 363/4/0 vs. Minnesota and 372/3/0 vs. Detroit may be great for fantasy, but in the quest for a title it doesn't mean much.
In Weeks 14-16 last year, Dalton had 9 TDs, 0 INTs, and threw for 871 yards (and his only rushing TD of the season). He was most helpful last year on fantasy teams seeking to win it all (he helped one of my win it). I agree that doesn't mean much when it comes to his awful postseason play, but for fantasy purposes, he is more than adequate.
i am definitely not speaking from a fantasy perspective. With Hue and Hill in tow I think they may become more ground based though.

Another point of yours is that he is bad against good teams. How do you decide what constitutes a good team? Should we look at teams that made the playoffs that year? In that case he averaged a 69% completion rate, 228 yds and a 2:1 TD to turnover ratio against "good" teams in 2013. Against bad teams he had a 60% completion rate, 281 yds and a 1.6:1 TD to turnover ratio. They went 4-0 against good teams.

Hmm...that was weird? Maybe 2013 was a bit fluky. Let's do 2012 instead. Against good teams he had a 64% completion rate, 232 yds and a 1.68:1 TD to turnover ratio. Against bad teams he had a 62% completion rate, 228 yds and a 1.69:1 TD to turnover rate. They went 2-2 versus good teams.

But yes, I know, I know. You don't believe in numbers. Your totally objective and accurate way of evaluating a player by the eye test trumps all. :wall:
i provided links for games earlier, could do the same for him in previous years too. What games did he play well? I can see his numbers. I want to know how if he played well in that game. Do his numbers match the play on the field? I didn't watch every game, but I watched a lot of them and I saw a lot more bad than good in all those games.Hey, maybe he happens to play great anytime I don't watch him. Maybe I shoulda top watching Bengals games. For his careers sake.
You are seriously impossible. You say that football is a "subjective sport". I'm not even sure what that means, but it seems that it means that touchdowns and completions don't matter to you because you have an innate feeling about what is really going on in those games and situations. It doesn't matter if he wins against the best teams and puts up historical stats, behind the phony completions and touchdowns there is the true Andy Dalton who really sucks but it is masked by the talent around him. Touchdown? Yeah, but it was only the receiver, you see, the receiver made the catch. The throw was actually really poor but the receiver made him look good.

You do realize that EVERY quarterback in the league misses throws by 10 feet at times? You realize that every QB makes mistakes? Which quarterbacks do you actually like?

You are seriously impossible. You say that football is a "subjective sport". I'm not even sure what that means, but it seems that it means that touchdowns and completions don't matter to you because you have an innate feeling about what is really going on in those games and situations. It doesn't matter if he wins against the best teams and puts up historical stats, behind the phony completions and touchdowns there is the true Andy Dalton who really sucks but it is masked by the talent around him. Touchdown? Yeah, but it was only the receiver, you see, the receiver made the catch. The throw was actually really poor but the receiver made him look good.

You do realize that EVERY quarterback in the league misses throws by 10 feet at times? You realize that every QB makes mistakes? Which quarterbacks do you actually like?
i provided a list of qb's I preferred to Dalton a page or two ago. Pick it apart.Please note I am talking nfl and not fantasy though.

MAC_32 said:
Bob Magaw said:
Why would you go and intrude common sense, logic and reason into a perfectly self consistent, tautologically insular, impenatrably circular, subjective impression world capable of command overrides contravening superficial irrelevancies like stats and history?

Numbers, shnumbers. :)
baseball and football are my two favorite sports. They couldn't be much different though. Football is by nature a subjective sport. Based on what I have seen of Dalton, which is a lot, I think the numbers lie about who he really is. It. Will catch up to him if he doesn't make corrections and expecting him to make them at this point is setting yourself up for disappointment.
It's a lot more subjective when you refuse to acknowledge stats. You might be a very acute, keen observer, but unless you have a photographic memory, I don't think you (or anybody) could track things like good/bad game splits to the tenth of a percentage point, or anywhere close to that.

You thought you saw something. You were mistaken. Louche's post #446 basically eviscerated your contentions, it was a pristine, immaculate, Donkey Kong Kill Screen-equivalent of a refutation, and the aftermath has been like the Black Knight scene in Monthy Python and The Holy Grail, you are carrying on as if nothing happened with the numbers lie mantra.

Instead of stats like W-L, completion percentage, Y/A, TDs, INTs (which you fail to acknowledge because you have seen him play 20 times), take another stat. Games played. Without looking it up, I think he has played about 48 regular season games and the playoff games. If you were to say he missed half his games, and others confirmed that the record showed that you were mistaken, and you responded by saying that you mistrusted all that numbers hooey and mumbo jumbo, you saw what you saw, you weren't budging an inch from your contention that he did miss half the games, the numbers lie, you were going to trust what your eyes told you, that was your story and your sticking to it, than you would be in much the same situation you find yourself in now.

If you were to say that, which is akin to what you have been saying (numbers lie), than the contention he had played only half the possible games, and insisting that this was so in the face of attempts to correct you that the belief was mistaken would very much resemble and take on the character and nature of a hallucination. It may seem real to you, in your own world, but it doesn't connect up with what is easily verifiable by others around you. Completion percentage isn't a subjective stat like assists on defense, where the variance between stat keepers and stadiums is notorious. A ball is caught or it isn't, assuming you don't think the record is an internet conspiracy to hoodwink people. A player gets a TD or not.

Modern planes use feedback-driven course correction mechanisms, if they start to drift to the right, the computer straightens out the plane, if it deviates a little to the left, it re-straightens. Stats can be a way to check our observations, impressions, thoughts, etc. Again, nobody needs to google Manning to tell he had a great season last year, or Jimmy Clausen to tell he hasn't had a sparkling career so far. It is precisely with a prospect not as extreme or obvious that stats would be needed most to evaluate whether he has improved or not in three years.

Numbers are like a gun, they aren't intrinsically bad, they can be good, it just depends on how you use them. Obviously they can lead people astray at times, and can be a blunt instrument if not used carefully. But its not like you can't be led astray by your perceptions and cognitive tricks we play on ourselves (observations and stats can be a check against each other, and don't have to be mutually exclusive, even if the former takes primacy). Attention and perception can be selective, we train ourselves to look and think about things in certain ways. There is a big difference between pausing a game in between plays and taking notes like a scout, as opposed to watching a game and than knocking the nachos onto a friend while trying to clean up some beer you just spilled, lets not take what we are doing TOO seriously.

Stats don't have to be a crutch or substitute for watching games, and they can augment our thinking about players. Sometimes the instant something stat related is dropped in a thread, you respond by saying you WATCH GAMES. On a board like this, that is like announcing you breathe. Its practically a given, and falls into the category of information we already possess. Other people watch games, too. The difference is, if stats disprove what they thought they saw, they generally don't respond by distrusting the stats, stubbornly hang on to the discredited belief and repeat numbers lie.

There is no direct, unmediated, mystical intuition into reality by going it alone with "your eyes", you would be fooling yourself (vision itself is a mental construct, in this case of a flat image on a screen, with incomplete camera angle access as noted, so already several big steps removed). Your perceptions and conceptions are mediated whether you realize it or not, and that is a big reason, imo, why it is dangerous to completely rebuke and spurn stats and numbers and fail to incorporate knowledge of them, and if they "disagree" (its weird even saying that, trying to put it in your language) when presented to you, ignore them and pretend they don't exist. There is no such thing as unmediated reality and direct perception of reality as if William Blake* was a scout, being conscious of neutral numbers to augment our thinking and using them accordingly would seem to be at least as safe as winging it while oblivious of unconscious perceptual mechanisms and cognitive shenanigans (memory being imperfect in one obvious instance that comes immediately to mind, another would be taking a handful of bad games and projecting that onto a player's body of work as a whole).

Clearly Dalton has improved in his three years. Seemingly the only way you could persist in the belief he hasn't, you told yourself a story about him, somewhere along the line you believed it, and than you shut it down as far as any kind of scouting apparatus. If he makes a nice play with touch on a scoring pass, you couldn't be weighing it the same as when he does something bad, which you probably seize on and say, see, he is seeing ghosts and being wildly inaccurate again, that confirms what I knew all along.

You've said in this thread better to get rid of a player too soon than too late. That's well and good, but unfortunately we don't have foreknowledge of which is which (thus threads like this). Yes, holding on to a bad player too long is bad, but you left out the part about parting with a good player too soon is arguably worse.

Conviction is appropriate and warranted in thinking 2 + 2 = 4. If you think 2 + 2 = 5, and somebody tries to demonstrate for you on a table that two apples plus two apples leaves four and not five apples on the table, and you persist in saying that your eyes see five, and you don't trust that adding stuff, counting lies, than not so much. No matter how emphatic or adamant that conviction was, it would be monstrously irrelevant because it was wrong. It's great to have conviction, but it is pernicious to dig your heels in when you are mistaken. The great thing about minds is they are malleable, and mistakes can be corrected (if we are open to that possibility). There are alternatives to following your beliefs wherever they lead, if they lead to a place in which you think "numbers lie", instead of modifying your thinking when presented with incontrovertible statistical evidence that your impressions are baseless and unfounded.

* William Blake (from the Marriage of Heaven and Hell in 1793)

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern."

Blake on an early scouting assignment.

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/detail/Detail_blake_william.html

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:
I know that you don't believe in stats, but one of your biggest drawbacks on him is his accuracy, and accuracy is clearly something that is very much measurable so maybe you'll trust stats in this area? These stats are all filtered to on show QBs that played at least 50% of the snaps so that we're only looking at starters.

- In completion percentage he has ranked 18th, 12th and 11th in his three years.

- When you remove drops, spiked balls and throwaways his accuracy percentage has been 15th, 15th and 11th.

- His accuracy percentage on 20+ yard passes has been 8th, 20th and 8th.

They're not elite numbers, but when you take into account that Dalton had the 11th highest average depth of target and that the Gruden system demands a lot of difficult technical throws, it's certainly not as bad as you make it out to be. His average depth of target is quite much higher than guys like Ryan, Rivers, Romo, Peyton, Brees and Luck so it is in some ways unfair to measure his completion percentage against those guys.
another case in which the numbers don't match the eyes. When I watch Dalton stand in the pocket, cleanly, and make an on point throw one snap then the exact same thing the nexus nap and miss a guy by ten feet I am staring at my tv asking, why? One thing he does well to mask his Inaccuracy though- he knows he has two receivers prone to making circus catches. He will throw it to a spot that only Jomes or Green may catch it but most normal relievers don't have a shot. Somehow they pull those in. It's fun to watch, but says a lot more about them than Dalton.

If he would control the WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING plays the above could work, but they happen far too frequently, especially in big games.
You just described throwing the ball to where only his WRs could catch it. When you have a WR like A.J. Green (on a Randy Moss-like Hall of Fame trajectory in his first three years), there is a word for that. Smart. Making circus catches look easy is what Green does, why WOULDN'T Dalton leverage and take advantage of Green's rare skill set if he can exploit it in game situations? Characterizing this as if it was something bad couldn't be more off the mark if you tried, and is about as clear as evidence of a negative bias as could be imagined. You'd do better to pay more attention to the numbers, IMO, if that is a typical personal example of what you think of as scouting.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:
MAC_32 said:
another case in which the numbers don't match the eyes.
Have you ever considered that it is your eyes that is the problem?
they have been wrong before. My goal is to progressively be more right than wrong. Been a better last couple of years.
I honestly don't know how to continue this discussion. The way I understand it you view baseball as a metric sport where stats rule but football is a sport where you can't trust the stats and you need to judge things visually. If you have baseball on one end of the scale I would say that soccer is likely on the opposite side of that scale. Pass completion percentage doesn't really tell you anything in soccer since the difficulty of passes ranges from one player primarily doing horizontal 5-15 yard passes in the back line while another player has a much more direct passing role where he attacks vertically. The player with a 70% completion rate might be a much better passer than the player that has an 85% completion rate. And a player can go without scoring any goals or having any assists for the entire season and still be the most important and best player on the team. That's not to say that the stats can't be broken down, but there has been no culture in soccer to track and filter stats down to such a detailed level where you can evaluate how players perform in specific situations, e.g. see the pass completion percentage on through balls in the 20-40 yard range when not being pressured. In the NFL you have stats on everything. You can go and compare QBs filtered to only include when they roll out. You can see their stats when they work off play action. You can compare them how they perform when they do a 3-step drop. Or a 5-step drop. Or a 7-step drop. You can look at the stats for how they perform when they throw to the left part of the field between 10-20 yards. Yes, when only looking at broad stats like completion percentage on all pass attempts you need to take into consideration that the roles of QBs will differ from each other so to properly compare two QBs up against each other you need to look at the context. Primarily the difficulty of the throws. If one QB is primarily throwing screen passes and off play action, and the other one is throwing a ton of deep balls, that needs to be taken into consideration. But with advanced data those differences are filtered out so that you are comparing the same data and clearly that data tells us something. They might still not tell the whole story but you can't simply dismiss them without having a really good reasoning to do so. And a personal feeling of what you think you see is just not going to cut it. To me football is a lot closer to baseball than soccer when it comes to how "subjective/objective" it is. There is a ton of advanced metrics that really do give you the complete picture.

Last season Dalton had the second most pass attempts over 20+ yards. Joe Flacco had the most. That suggests that Dalton is being asked to attempt difficult passes, and combined with watching games and seeing how often they ask him to throw the intermediate and deep comeback and out routes and the low number of screen passes, and looking at their scheme seeing that their passing game is highly based on timing, we can safely say that Gruden asked a lot of Andy Dalton. His completion percentage is not masked by a lot of screen passes and short easy throws. Compare that to the easy ride Russell Wilson has had in his scheme, or Kaep in his scheme, and you'll have to ask whether or not it is Dalton's or Gruden's fault that Dalton has had all those interceptions. With a more cautious passing game and a stronger running game we would have been talking about Dalton in a much different way.

You keep telling us that you trust your eyes when it comes to Dalton, but there is also an established media narrative on Dalton - both when it comes to his big games and his deep passes - and your view fits right smack in the middle of that narrative so to me I'm not sure how much of your opinion is based on what you see and how much is based on just adapting to the mainstream narrative. Who would you consider is the best deep ball passer of Flacco and Dalton? Most people will say Flacco based on what they saw in the 2012 season playoffs. Well, last season Flacco had a 26% completion percentage (17/88 passes for 730 yds) when throwing 20+ yds. Dalton had a 44% completion percentage (31/86 for 1028 yds). Flacco had 1 TD and 8 INTs. Dalton had 14 TDs and 5 INTs, only beaten by Foles and Brees. But hey, you know what you see, right? After all, you've watched a lot of his games.

If someone in a discussion doesn't even remotely trust stats what can you do? Needless to say I have watched every snap Dalton has played in the NFL, most of them I have seen at least twice. So it's not like I'm just looking at the stats, I can break his game down to show every weakness and strength that I believe that he has - where he excels and where he needs to improve - but I can't convince you that what you're seeing is wrong if you don't trust stats and advanced metrics. I can't give you my eyes or understanding of football so that you see things the same way as I do. But if you are going to be this stubborn in your view on Dalton and you refuse the stats and reject all the good plays because his receivers are so good, I would advise you to at least watch all his games first. If I had entered into a Chad Henne discussion I'd walk around pretty carefully if I hadn't watched all of his games over the past couple of seasons. But that's just me.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:
I know that you don't believe in stats, but one of your biggest drawbacks on him is his accuracy, and accuracy is clearly something that is very much measurable so maybe you'll trust stats in this area? These stats are all filtered to on show QBs that played at least 50% of the snaps so that we're only looking at starters.

- In completion percentage he has ranked 18th, 12th and 11th in his three years.

- When you remove drops, spiked balls and throwaways his accuracy percentage has been 15th, 15th and 11th.

They're not elite numbers, but when you take into account that Dalton had the 11th highest average depth of target and that the Gruden system demands a lot of difficult technical throws, it's certainly not as bad as you make it out to be. His average depth of target is quite much higher than guys like Ryan, Rivers, Romo, Peyton, Brees and Luck so it is in some ways unfair to measure his completion percentage against those guys.
another case in which the numbers don't match the eyes. When I watch Dalton stand in the pocket, cleanly, and make an on point throw one snap then the exact same thing the nexus nap and miss a guy by ten feet I am staring at my tv asking, why? One thing he does well to mask his Inaccuracy though- he knows he has two receivers prone to making circus catches. He will throw it to a spot that only Jomes or Green may catch it but most normal relievers don't have a shot. Somehow they pull those in. It's fun to watch, but says a lot more about them than Dalton.

If he would control the WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING plays the above could work, but they happen far too frequently, especially in big games.
You just described throwing the ball to where only his WRs could catch it. When you have a WR like A.J. Green (on a Randy Moss-like Hall of Fame trajectory in his first three years), there is a word for that. Smart. Making circus catches look easy is what Green does, why WOULDN'T Dalton leverage and take advantage of Green's rare skill set if he can exploit it in game situations? Characterizing this as if it was something bad couldn't be more off the mark if you tried, and is about as clear as evidence of a negative bias as could be imagined. You'd do better to pay more attention to the numbers, IMO, if that is a typical personal example of what you think of as scouting.
i think you need to re read what I wrote.And if you like that about Dalton then you will LOVE it from Manziel.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:

another case in which the numbers don't match the eyes. When I watch Dalton stand in the pocket, cleanly, and make an on point throw one snap then the exact same thing the nexus nap and miss a guy by ten feet I am staring at my tv asking, why?One thing he does well to mask his Inaccuracy though- he knows he has two receivers prone to making circus catches. He will throw it to a spot that only Jomes or Green may catch it but most normal relievers don't have a shot. Somehow they pull those in. It's fun to watch, but says a lot more about them than Dalton.

i think you need to re read what I wrote.And if you like that about Dalton then you will LOVE it from Manziel.
I'm guessing that you meant to write that Dalton slings it up there and is lucky that Green and Jones beats the defenders to the ball, but what you wrote was;

"he knows he has two receivers prone to making circus catches. He will throw it to a spot that only Jomes or Green may catch it but most normal relievers don't have a shot."

That is pretty much the definition of perfect ball placement. Knowing your receivers and throwing it where only your receivers can catch it.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:
MAC_32 said:
another case in which the numbers don't match the eyes.
Have you ever considered that it is your eyes that is the problem?
they have been wrong before. My goal is to progressively be more right than wrong. Been a better last couple of years.
I honestly don't know how to continue this discussion. The way I understand it you view baseball as a metric sport where stats rule but football is a sport where you can't trust the stats and you need to judge things visually. If you have baseball on one end of the scale I would say that soccer is likely on the opposite side of that scale. Pass completion percentage doesn't really tell you anything in soccer since the difficulty of passes ranges from one player primarily doing horizontal 5-15 yard passes in the back line while another player has a much more direct passing role where he attacks vertically. The player with a 70% completion rate might be a much better passer than the player that has an 85% completion rate. And a player can go without scoring any goals or having any assists for the entire season and still be the most important and best player on the team. That's not to say that the stats can't be broken down, but there has been no culture in soccer to track and filter stats down to such a detailed level where you can evaluate how players perform in specific situations, e.g. see the pass completion percentage on through balls in the 20-40 yard range when not being pressured. In the NFL you have stats on everything. You can go and compare QBs filtered to only include when they roll out. You can see their stats when they work off play action. You can compare them how they perform when they do a 3-step drop. Or a 5-step drop. Or a 7-step drop. You can look at the stats for how they perform when they throw to the left part of the field between 10-20 yards. Yes, when only looking at broad stats like completion percentage on all pass attempts you need to take into consideration that the roles of QBs will differ from each other so to properly compare two QBs up against each other you need to look at the context. Primarily the difficulty of the throws. If one QB is primarily throwing screen passes and off play action, and the other one is throwing a ton of deep balls, that needs to be taken into consideration. But with advanced data those differences are filtered out so that you are comparing the same data and clearly that data tells us something. They might still not tell the whole story but you can't simply dismiss them without having a really good reasoning to do so. And a personal feeling of what you think you see is just not going to cut it. To me football is a lot closer to baseball than soccer when it comes to how "subjective/objective" it is. There is a ton of advanced metrics that really do give you the complete picture.

Last season Dalton had the second most pass attempts over 20+ yards. Joe Flacco had the most. That suggests that Dalton is being asked to attempt difficult passes, and combined with watching games and seeing how often they ask him to throw the intermediate and deep comeback and out routes and the low number of screen passes, and looking at their scheme seeing that their passing game is highly based on timing, we can safely say that Gruden asked a lot of Andy Dalton. His completion percentage is not masked by a lot of screen passes and short easy throws. Compare that to the easy ride Russell Wilson has had in his scheme, or Kaep in his scheme, and you'll have to ask whether or not it is Dalton's or Gruden's fault that Dalton has had all those interceptions. With a more cautious passing game and a stronger running game we would have been talking about Dalton in a much different way.

You keep telling us that you trust your eyes when it comes to Dalton, but there is also an established media narrative on Dalton - both when it comes to his big games and his deep passes - and your view fits right smack in the middle of that narrative so to me I'm not sure how much of your opinion is based on what you see and how much is based on just adapting to the mainstream narrative. Who would you consider is the best deep ball passer of Flacco and Dalton? Most people will say Flacco based on what they saw in the 2012 season playoffs. Well, last season Flacco had a 26% completion percentage (17/88 passes for 730 yds) when throwing 20+ yds. Dalton had a 44% completion percentage (31/86 for 1028 yds). Flacco had 1 TD and 8 INTs. Dalton had 14 TDs and 5 INTs, only beaten by Foles and Brees. But hey, you know what you see, right? After all, you've watched a lot of his games.

If someone in a discussion doesn't even remotely trust stats what can you do? Needless to say I have watched every snap Dalton has played in the NFL, most of them I have seen at least twice. So it's not like I'm just looking at the stats, I can break his game down to show every weakness and strength that I believe that he has - where he excels and where he needs to improve - but I can't convince you that what you're seeing is wrong if you don't trust stats and advanced metrics. I can't give you my eyes or understanding of football so that you see things the same way as I do. But if you are going to be this stubborn in your view on Dalton and you refuse the stats and reject all the good plays because his receivers are so good, I would advise you to at least watch all his games first. If I had entered into a Chad Henne discussion I'd walk around pretty carefully if I hadn't watched all of his games over the past couple of seasons. But that's just me.
im not going to argue Kaepernick, I think you're right about him. Kinda like with Flacco and Eli I don't think his play is that much better than Dalton, if at all, but he doesn't fold like a tent under pressure. This is where I think there is a disconnect, I must value that a lot more than you. If a guy can't make plays under pressure, be it the rush or a big spot like playoff game, he will not be successful. The ghosts thing I mentioned early makes a bad situation even worse.I am going to argue Wilson though. To discredit what he has done is quite simply crazy IMHO. The quantity of plays is not there, but quality is. I don't know how many times I have been watching a Seattle game and seen Wilson create a play from nothing and put the ball exactly where it needs to be. Or pick just the right spot in the game to finally keep the ball himself on a read option. After the defense has committed to Marshawn, Wilson sees it then before the defense realizes what is going on he is forty yards down field. He constantly works under duress because his offensive line is horrendous, pass blocking, and is never phased.

The eye test has it's drawbacks, confirmation bias happens, but it's not like these opinion shaved eveloped because the media said so. I've not been a believer in Dalton, really ever. Opposite with Wilson, just surprised he got his shot because of the height bias in the nfl. Neither has really done anything to sway my opinion. Dalton was an inconsistent quick game passer at TCu with problems against pressure but made enough wow throws to get people's attention, Wilson was a stud that was not tall enough. Wilson overcame his issue, I don't think Dalton has.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:

another case in which the numbers don't match the eyes. When I watch Dalton stand in the pocket, cleanly, and make an on point throw one snap then the exact same thing the nexus nap and miss a guy by ten feet I am staring at my tv asking, why?One thing he does well to mask his Inaccuracy though- he knows he has two receivers prone to making circus catches. He will throw it to a spot that only Jomes or Green may catch it but most normal relievers don't have a shot. Somehow they pull those in. It's fun to watch, but says a lot more about them than Dalton.

I'm guessing that you meant to write that Dalton slings it up there and is lucky that Green and Jones beats the defenders to the ball, but what you wrote was;

"he knows he has two receivers prone to making circus catches. He will throw it to a spot that only Jomes or Green may catch it but most normal relievers don't have a shot."

That is pretty much the definition of perfect ball placement. Knowing your receivers and throwing it where only your receivers can catch it.
i also wrote he does it well, but you guys are glossing over it because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Are you guys still trying to discuss this with Mac? Dalton could have the best season of any QB next year and he'd still be here arguing against Dalton. He's perfectly capable of ignoring facts because his eye test supersedes everything. There is no way to have a rational discussion with him, or to have him even concede any of those facts. It's pretty obvious that he is the type of person who only can be correct all of the time. There is no alternative for him. No matter how sound your argument, he'll still vehemently deny it. You're beating your heads against a brick wall.

Instead of stats like W-L, completion percentage, Y/A, TDs, INTs (which you fail to acknowledge because you have seen him play 20 times), take another stat. Games played. Without looking it up, I think he has played about 48 regular season games and the playoff games. If you were to say he missed half his games, and others confirmed that the record showed that you were mistaken, and you responded by saying that you mistrusted all that numbers hooey and mumbo jumbo, you saw what you saw, you weren't budging an inch from your contention that he did miss half the games, the numbers lie, you were going to trust what your eyes told you, that was your story and your sticking to it, than you would be in much the same situation you find yourself in now.

If you were to say that, which is akin to what you have been saying (numbers lie), than the contention he had played only half the possible games, and insisting that this was so in the face of attempts to correct you that the belief was mistaken would very much resemble and take on the character and nature of a hallucination. It may seem real to you, in your own world, but it doesn't connect up with what is easily verifiable by others around you. Completion percentage isn't a subjective stat like assists on defense, where the variance between stat keepers and stadiums is notorious. A ball is caught or it isn't, assuming you don't think the record is an internet conspiracy to hoodwink people. A player gets a TD or not. ]
one thing I have learned especially since joining this board is people will use stats to justify their opinion, no matter the opinion. They pick and choose which stats depending on what their argument is. It does not help develop an opinion. If further convolutes and already subjective game. It's why I've veered to my eyes more than anything. It's why I subscribe to rewind and watch as many games as I can during the week. It's why I spend so much time watching college ball on Saturday, and during the week when they are on. I'm never going to bat 1.000, but my success rate has gotten better since I started doing this. When I see an opportunity to get even better I'll look into it, but nothing you guys are saying is leaving me wondering. You are saying I am ignoring numbers, and to a degree I am, but I keep pointing out past games and other players. Louche has responded to that, not exactly an answer to my question, but...sorta. He is at least bringing up other players though. You're not. Calling someone bullheaded while being bullheaded yourself is not a good look.

Are you guys still trying to discuss this with Mac? Dalton could have the best season of any QB next year and he'd still be here arguing against Dalton. He's perfectly capable of ignoring facts because his eye test supersedes everything. There is no way to have a rational discussion with him, or to have him even concede any of those facts. It's pretty obvious that he is the type of person who only can be correct all of the time. There is no alternative for him. No matter how sound your argument, he'll still vehemently deny it. You're beating your heads against a brick wall.
he absolutely could change my mind, I.e. Cam this year.

This is the game that sold me on Cam Newton

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hftxypoSF2I

His stats blew? Yes they did. He played terrible for 57 minutes. It's the final drive that made me say wow. Most qb's that play terribly all game fold up shop late. He did not this day, in a game that basically got them the two seed instead of fighting for their playoff lives the next week. He made three difficult pin point throws en route to a game winning td. After being 10-17 for116 yards with four sacks and a pick immediately after four ugly three and outs before that drive.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:

i also wrote he does it well, but you guys are glossing over it because it doesn't fit your narrative.
Well, I guess what threw us off was "what he does well to mask his inaccuracy". Now that you've clarified that you meant this as a positive I guess you just could have written "what he does accurately is..."

I don't want to turn this into a Russell Wilson thread, but I'm not discrediting what Wilson has done. What I'm saying is that the offensive scheme that Wilson works in is much, much simpler and tighter in terms of reads, volume and difficulty of passes. That's not to say that Wilson can't make difficult throws, but they don't ask him to do that very often and they have simple reads for him. I know that it can look amazing when he rolls out and fires a dart down to a receiver by the sideline at the last second after holding the ball for an eternity, and those are the plays that stick in your mind, but it's generally not a difficult decision or particularly difficult throw to make. It's a see it throw it kind of pass. The difficulty level in terms of read, anticipation and technique is not as difficult as a deep out route that Dalton is routinely asked to throw. Dalton's throw will not look nearly as spectacular but it is a much more difficult throw to make technically, not to mention the anticipation and timing that it demands. Dalton had almost 50% more pass attempts than Wilson last season and the Bengals offense has been put on Dalton's shoulders whereas Wilson leads the league in play action passes and designed rollouts. Now, Wilson has done his job very well, but his job is much easier because of the offensive scheme. Wilson has the longest time of any QB in the league before he makes his throws. That allows his receivers to get open and demands less in terms of decision making, accuracy and timing. The expectation is that Hue Jackson will go to a more up-tempo offense with a larger focus on the running game and consequently play action, which will make Dalton's job less demanding than what has been the case under Gruden so I guess we will see this season who was at fault for all the INTs - Dalton or Gruden.

That deep out is a big reason why he gets his numbers, yes. His strong arm gives him the ability to make that throw. He has the weapons to make the throw and the skill set to execute it. My problem with Dalton is when it is not there. He panics. His read progression is consistently first read-Green-panic. This is when he gets into trouble. Your qb can't consistently make back breaking mistakes and Dalton does. He also misses a lot of opportunities because he bails on the play so quickly.

And I have to point out Wilson having the longest time of any qb in the league to make his throws. It is because of him. I cannot emphasize enough how awful his o line is in pass protection. He has a long time to throw because he creates that time. It is not the system. The system puts him in a position to be successful, like any good system should. He makes the plays though. And more importantly, not many mistakes.

Wow, there should be some kind of warning on a threat when it gets to this point. "for the sake of all that is good and right, don't enter this thread"

That deep out is a big reason why he gets his numbers, yes. His strong arm gives him the ability to make that throw. He has the weapons to make the throw and the skill set to execute it. My problem with Dalton is when it is not there. He panics. His read progression is consistently first read-Green-panic. This is when he gets into trouble. Your qb can't consistently make back breaking mistakes and Dalton does. He also misses a lot of opportunities because he bails on the play so quickly.

And I have to point out Wilson having the longest time of any qb in the league to make his throws. It is because of him. I cannot emphasize enough how awful his o line is in pass protection. He has a long time to throw because he creates that time. It is not the system. The system puts him in a position to be successful, like any good system should. He makes the plays though. And more importantly, not many mistakes.
I'm not going to say that he doesn't make mistakes, because he certainly does. But you see them as consistently making back breaking mistakes, I just see them as mistakes and if they truly were that back breaking as you say then I don't think neither Dalton nor the Bengals would have the success that they've had. Yes, the defense is great but it doesn't explain all. The Browns, Bills, Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, Rams, all these teams had good defenses in 2013 but they didn't have nearly the success that the Bengals had. The Bengals also had a top 10 offense even though their rushing game was only 18th so clearly they had a well functioning passing game and no matter how good you think Green and Jones is, some of that success has to be attributed to Dalton. And when your stance here is that you think Dalton is on the level of Glennon, Hoyer and Geno Smith and that he is one of the ten worst QBs in the league, that's crazy talk to me. He's not one of the best, but at the very least he is middle of the pack.

You've also said that he has had no progress in his three years. That is also crazy talk. I think it is practically impossible to not improve as a QB from your rookie year to your third year. If only because of familiarity to your offense and offensive skill position players, one would improve. There are primarily two things that I feel Dalton improved in 2013. His deep balls were a hell of a lot better and his touch was improved. He had a number of beautiful passes that dropped into tight spots. I can't say that there is one aspect that he is amazing at. And that has been the thing with Dalton, he's not special at anything but he is consistently good at a lot of things. However, his biggest weaknesses are his decision making when blitzed and he is terrible when he scrambles. There's a number of times where he should have just thrown the ball away but ends up keeping the ball and making a bad decision. He can also make some very bad reads at time in the short game that causes some big mistakes from time to time, and there has been a certain stubbornness that I don't know if it's Gruden or Dalton's fault; where something doesn't work and instead of trying something different they go back once more and make the same mistake again.

Obviously part of the reason that Wilson has a lot of time is that he scrambles, but a lot of those times where he leaves the pocket they are designed plays so the system is definitely made to give him more time and to put him in a position to make easier decisions. Yes, his offensive line crumbles at times, but they also look worse than what they are because Wilson trusts his ability to scramble and holds on to the ball for as long as he does. If a QB gets the ball out earlier the OL will look better. I wouldn't say that the SEA O-line was consistently horrible in pass protection but they were ravaged by injuries which took it's toll. Their right side was fine, but McQuistan had some real problems when he played LT and the combination of McQuistan and Carpenter playing next to each other made that left side weak until Okung came back. During that time opposing defenses blitzed them like crazy. But I digress...my point is that a traditional pass-centric offense with a pocket passer is more prone to QB mistakes than a ground and pound play action based offense. So when Wilson makes few mistakes and you compare that to Dalton you need to put that in the context of Wilson being in an offense that limits mistakes.

On the same level as those guys isn't really my argument. I put them on the same tier on my want list because of the number of cheap,controllable years left on their contracts. There is time to find out if they are any good before you have to commit to them. Glendon and Geno more than Hoyer, obviously. The arrow needs to go up from here though. Unlike it's with Dalton.

I think a common mistake evaluators make is assuming a player will develop. Truth is, many don't. As you said, Dalton has not improved upon his weaknesses upon coming into the league. I am less inclined to believe that is a product of Gruden because he has just repeated the mistakes from college. Different coaches, same problem.

Kinda like golf, it is expected a qb is going to make mistakes. The good ones minimize the damage of those mistakes, the rest don't. I think Dalton falls into the latter category,a s you surmised above.

MAC_32 said:
Louche said:

From the deflect and absorb play book.I didn't say what I said. You said throwing to Green (and another WR) where they only they could catch it said more about them than Dalton, so diminishing his role. It's the same circular logic that holds everything good is in spite of Dalton and everything bad is because of him, or shoehorning games to fit the Dalton has padded his rep by beating up on bad teams profile, by defining a bad team as a team losing to Dalton. :)

I have no doubt you watch games. But the problem is, you could have watched every game in the history of the NFL, but if you can't see that it is a two part process for Dalton having to put it in position where only Green can catch it, if every seeming positive is going to be reframed in a way that he gets 0% credit and the team gets 100% of the credit, and conversely every negative is seized on as 100% the fault of Dalton and 0% the responsibility of the team, than you could watch a million, or billion or infinite amount of games, and it wouldn't make a difference and be incidental.

If a contractor told you he had worked on 20 projects, handed over his portfolio with photos, and you were alarmed that he tended to build the tile floor where the ceiling was supposed to be, and the stucco ceiling where the floor was supposed to be, you probably wouldn't be put at ease by any further assurances that he was very experienced due to those 20 projects.

Green is a great WR, he is on a Hall of Fame career arc and trajectory, as noted, and while I'm sure other QBs could have done as well or better, there are a lot of QBs that wouldn't have. Dalton gets SOME credit for the passing game.

If you were to say that, which is akin to what you have been saying (numbers lie), than the contention he had played only half the possible games, and insisting that this was so in the face of attempts to correct you that the belief was mistaken would very much resemble and take on the character and nature of a hallucination. It may seem real to you, in your own world, but it doesn't connect up with what is easily verifiable by others around you. Completion percentage isn't a subjective stat like assists on defense, where the variance between stat keepers and stadiums is notorious. A ball is caught or it isn't, assuming you don't think the record is an internet conspiracy to hoodwink people. A player gets a TD or not. ]
one thing I have learned especially since joining this board is people will use stats to justify their opinion, no matter the opinion. They pick and choose which stats depending on what their argument is. It does not help develop an opinion. If further convolutes and already subjective game. It's why I've veered to my eyes more than anything. It's why I subscribe to rewind and watch as many games as I can during the week. It's why I spend so much time watching college ball on Saturday, and during the week when they are on. I'm never going to bat 1.000, but my success rate has gotten better since I started doing this. When I see an opportunity to get even better I'll look into it, but nothing you guys are saying is leaving me wondering. You are saying I am ignoring numbers, and to a degree I am, but I keep pointing out past games and other players. Louche has responded to that, not exactly an answer to my question, but...sorta. He is at least bringing up other players though. You're not. Calling someone bullheaded while being bullheaded yourself is not a good look.
So if Louche's post #446 is of the justification sort, break it down and refute it, rather than use vague generalizations and platitudes. SHOW how it was a justification, rather than talking around it (though not sure how you "debunk" the truth, so what other option do you have but deflect and absorb). So far, though, when pressed, all you have to offer is I see what I see, his play doesn't match his stats and numbers lie. But the problem is deeper than this. If dozens or hundreds of mediocre QBs had 33 TDs, than calling that rare in Dalton's case WOULD be an example of twisting stats to justify a position. But that isn't the case. When you did attempt to address it with the game is different remark (deflect and absorb), the obvious rejoinder was that it begs the exact same question. Why aren't there many QBs doing it in contemporary times if any old shlub like Dalton can do it? You really have nothing on this, and that should be telling you something, if you weren't digging in your heels so hard they are snapping off of the soles because you are always right, and insisting on the his game doesn't fit the stats and numbers lie mantras (which is a LOT more convoluted), doubling down on the most indefensible, non-consensual hallucination-like underpinnings of your argument.If you think through the implications of what you said and the context, in saying his play doesn't match his stats and numbers lie, you tacitly aren't questioning that the numbers are being manipulated by others (rendering your critique above moot, at least in this case). You are rebuking the numbers themselves, because they don't conform to the secret, hidden, mysterious, inner, direct, unmediated, mystical scouting insight into the true nature of Dalton. You said these things, so maybe we should assume you understand them, but when taken together, they aren't always coherent and consistent with each other. But that may come from, thinking less about articulating a coherent overall position, and instead, whatever juncture you happen to find yourself in a given debate, being 100% right no matter what on that point, which can and has led to painting yourself into a corner.

I'm happy for your success, consider the possibility you could be even more successful if you could permit yourself to recognize that 33 TDs at 26 is rare. Numbers won't bite, they can be your friend. :) if you are the one using them, you don't have to worry about others manipulating them.

As far as nothing being said leaving you wondering, that is consistent with a compulsive need to be right (or at least preserving that illusion), and someone who's observations seem imprisoned within an impenetrable, unbreachable barrier of circular logic.

I did bring up other players, like Marino, Favre, Manning and Culpepper, the only other QBs to have 33+ TDs at 26 or younger, but you haven't acknowledged it (unless you count dismissing it) and instead clamped down harder on the numbers lie narrative, which if you haven't noticed, hasn't gotten a lot of traction.

It's unfortunate that you adopted a position that, like a hallucination, only you can see (Dalton hasn't shown any improvement in three years, he always chokes in big games, he always beats up on inferior teams, anything good is always due to others, anything bad is always due to him, if the numbers demonstrably show otherwise, they must lie, because your mystical third eye scouting intuition sees what it sees and informs you his stats don't line up with his play). Maybe it's uncomfortable being in the awkward position of defending an indefensible, incoherent position.

If somebody in the FFA started a thread about how there was a secret world government run by magical unicorns in a hidden underground compound near an Earth power meridian intersection in Sedona, AZ but only they could see it because they had X-Ray vision, and the response was predictable in repeated attempts to defend it, to that person, others would appear stubborn in not appreciating and understanding the insight bestowed by their special powers. Maybe to that person, it wouldn't be a "good look" for them. Even if you took the person to that exact coordinate and demonstrate there was no such installation, they would still always be right by saying the magical unicorns knew the gig was up, covered their tracks and were now ensconced inside Machu Picchu or the Sphynx, saying otherwise would be "stubborn". If a student compulsively, reflexively kept trying to say 2 + 2 = 5, even after repeated attempts by teachers and fellow students to count out apples on a table showing it was actually four and not five, those attempts would probably seem stubborn, and not a good look. During a meth addict intervention, from the addict's perspective (and addictions can manifest in other ways, like always having to be right), others no doubt appear stubborn, and wouldn't have a good look.

The Shark Pool functions much like an immune system. You think it is a great idea to propagate the idea that numbers lie and your third eye scouting intuition contravenes and supersedes any stats that say otherwise. You see what you see, so the numbers must lie, Dalton's stats don't fit your negative expectation, so they just must be wrong, there is no other possible explanation. Others don't think that is a great idea worth propagating.

You know the drill. Say nutty stuff, and expect it to be questioned. You have options.

1 - Keep saying the same nutty stuff and keep getting questioned.

2 - Move on to some non-nutty stuff about this or something else.

3 - Or, drop it.

I didn't list conceding the point, as that obviously isn't an option in this case.

You can use all the deflect and absorb tactics you want (change the subject, etc.), but no amount of Jules Big Kahuna Burger chomping, Old Testament reciting scene chewing bluster is going to change the fact that, if this was a battle, you have dug yourself into a hole so deep that you can't extricate yourself from it without assistance from others, have nothing to defend yourself with but a sling shot and sack of marshmallows for ammo, are surrounded from the high ground by multiple people behind a promontory-like fortification with machine guns and rocket launchers aimed straight at you, and you keep saying, Are you ready to surrender yet? :)

* As to the pot calling the kettle black, the way this would usually go down, someone would say something nutty, would look at post #446 and back down and admit, Oops, my bad. But instead, if you choose to argue the point with post after post after post about how numbers lie instead of just admitting the error, that makes others the bad guy if they don't blindly follow the shaman of a one-person belief that proselytizes with missionary zeal the schools of Anti-Dalton and Anti-Numbers. Since the belief is held in defiance of the numbers and contradicted by them and can't be adopted on rational grounds, failure to accept them on faith and not recognize you as a seer and visionary constitutes "stubbornness". A way to reframe (deflect/absorb) things from the shaman's perspective.

You're all over the place.

If you're wanting a response please try clearer and concise. I don't even know where to begin.

If you're just going for the sermon though let me know.

If you're wanting a response please try clearer and concise. I don't even know where to begin.

From the deflect and absorb play book, ignore or dismiss critiques so you don't have to acknowledge indefensible positions and can remain always right, AGAIN.I'll be more concise per your request. If you persist in saying wrong things are right and that numbers lie, than they will continue to be pointed out as mistakes.

No sermon, but there are multiple counter-intuitive beliefs on your part within the thread (numbers lie, circular logic), they take longer to run down than if there was just one, for instance. Maybe try and stick to one wacky idea at a time, than the vetting/debunking process can proceed in a more economical and efficient manner?

* That's the problem with having to be right, it leads to having to use more indefensible beliefs to prop up the first one, and stacking further nutty ideas on top of the initial one. But if this is sprawling and snowballing, that part (putting yourself in the position by having to be right) is on you.

From the deflect and absorb play book, ignore or dismiss critiques so you don't have to acknowledge indefensible positions and can remain always right, AGAIN.

I'll be more concise per your request. If you persist in saying wrong things are right and that numbers lie, than they will continue to be pointed out as mistakes.

No sermon, but there are multiple counter-intuitive beliefs on your part within the thread (numbers lie, circular logic), they take longer to run down than if there was just one, for instance. Maybe try and stick to one wacky idea at a time, than the vetting/debunking process can proceed in a more economical and efficient manner?
got it. Preach on, brotha

This is the game that sold me on Cam Newton

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hftxypoSF2I

His stats blew? Yes they did. He played terrible for 57 minutes. It's the final drive that made me say wow. Most qb's that play terribly all game fold up shop late. He did not this day, in a game that basically got them the two seed instead of fighting for their playoff lives the next week. He made three difficult pin point throws en route to a game winning td. After being 10-17 for116 yards with four sacks and a pick immediately after four ugly three and outs before that drive.
well, every other reasonable person knew that cam was awesome way before this. wonder why. oh ya, its bc he put up amazing numbers for years and made his team competitive despite a weak receiving core.

its why many ppl werent surprised when he led his team to victory in this game. you were surprised tho. you could have avoided being surprised.

Rotoworld:

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson believes new OC Hue Jackson intends to "take the load off" Andy Dalton, and reduce his pass attempts from last year's 586 to "closer to Russell Wilson's number of 407."
Hobson believes the Bengals may scrap Jay Gruden's old high-volume short to intermediate passing game, and allow the "running game to open up the deep ball." This, of course, is Jackson's offense. He's a power-run coach with vertical leanings in the passing attack. Turning Dalton into a low-volume game manager would significantly curb Dalton's fantasy appeal. It would also almost certainly curb the Bengals' team turnover rate.

Source: bengals.com

Rotoworld:

Andy Dalton - QB - Bengals

Bengals signed QB Andy Dalton to a six-year, $115 million contract.

While it looks like a ton of money on paper, this is certainly going to be a pay-as-you-go deal like the 49ers handed Colin Kaepernick earlier in the offseason. A very small portion of the deal will actually be fully guaranteed, and Dalton is going to have to earn his salary with his play. There's just no middle ground for teams to go off of when paying their quarterbacks. It's all or nothing. Dalton's $19.1 million annual average in new money puts him in the top ten among signal callers. It's quite a haul for a player who's yet to win a playoff game.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 4 - 10:11 AM

Pretty shocked at this. Maybe I'm wrong about Dalton but I see him as a journeyman/maybe a bit better type QB and definitely not a franchise QB you lock up with top 10 money (although I realize a year from now this is probably top 17 money).

And to come from the Bengals who don't pay anybody? wow. I really thought this would be the last year Dalton enters the season as the clear-cut guy. I think if they find themselves in a position to get a true potential franchise QB they would have to do that but it seems like they are ok to settle.

Actually, now that I've written this out, this isn't surprising at all. It is EXACTLY what I have come to expect from the Bengals. Sign a guy to top-ish money, not top money. Keep a lot of the guarantees off the table. Cite his statistical numbers if questioned by fans and media. Disregard the fact that he really hasn't accomplished anything meaningful in terms of NFL playoffs or the prospects to win playoff games.

:shrug:

Nestles him in there in Romo/Culter/Flacco territory, right? That's just the going rate for a decent shepherd. I think he's adequate to steward a team through the playoffs if the other pieces ever get good enough to contend on their own. That's pretty much what you pay for in this league unless you stumble into a Peyton/Rodgers/Brees type. There's guys who are good enough to win it for you -- and those are few and far between. There's guys who won't lose it for you. And there's bums.

Guys who won't lose it for you cost just south of 20m a year now. It's grotesque, but it's reality.

Dalton was awfully lucky ending up in Cinci. They had an experienced coach, a good OC, stout D, and no shortage of good targets in the passing game. If Dalton ends up on most other teams that were looking for a young QB, I'm not sure he doesn't end up completely faltering and already being replaced instead of signed to a large new deal.

Dalton was awfully lucky ending up in Cinci. They had an experienced coach, a good OC, stout D, and no shortage of good targets in the passing game. If Dalton ends up on most other teams that were looking for a young QB, I'm not sure he doesn't end up completely faltering and already being replaced instead of signed to a large new deal.
Can't disagree.

At the same time, I think that's probably true of more NFL'ers than we can imagine.

Can't disagree.At the same time, I think that's probably true of more NFL'ers than we can imagine.
Very true. There are less Calvin's and Lucks than we might admit...those few guys that would likely excel on any team, in any system, etc.

Can't disagree.At the same time, I think that's probably true of more NFL'ers than we can imagine.
Very true. There are less Calvin's and Lucks than we might admit...those few guys that would likely excel on any team, in any system, etc.
#nnamdiasomugha

Rotoworld:

While it looks like a ton of money on paper, this is certainly going to be a pay-as-you-go deal like the 49ers handed Colin Kaepernick earlier in the offseason. A very small portion of the deal will actually be fully guaranteed, and Dalton is going to have to earn his salary with his play. There's just no middle ground for teams to go off of when paying their quarterbacks. It's all or nothing. Dalton's $19.1 million annual average in new money puts him in the top ten among signal callers. It's quite a haul for a player who's yet to win a playoff game.

-Good agent

-Naive owner

-HC who could care less about public opinions

$19M a season, QBs are going to get $25-$30M a season very soon.

Rotoworld:

:crazy:

Pretty shocked at this. Maybe I'm wrong about Dalton but I see him as a journeyman/maybe a bit better type QB and definitely not a franchise QB you lock up with top 10 money (although I realize a year from now this is probably top 17 money).

And to come from the Bengals who don't pay anybody? wow. I really thought this would be the last year Dalton enters the season as the clear-cut guy. I think if they find themselves in a position to get a true potential franchise QB they would have to do that but it seems like they are ok to settle.

Actually, now that I've written this out, this isn't surprising at all. It is EXACTLY what I have come to expect from the Bengals. Sign a guy to top-ish money, not top money. Keep a lot of the guarantees off the table. Cite his statistical numbers if questioned by fans and media. Disregard the fact that he really hasn't accomplished anything meaningful in terms of NFL playoffs or the prospects to win playoff games.
agree with this completely. Maybe Dalton will completely prove me wrong but I don't get it. Oh well....

That's the narrative now. When he arrived, it was a first year coordinator with no weapons in a garbage organization with the stench of the Palmer situation looming over him. He showed up the same year as Green and Gruden to play for one of the worst teams in the league and was productive from day 1.

Until I read a story where it says that only $10M or so of this is guaranteed then I think it's perfectly fine to be critical. Pete Prisco is an NFL brown nosed as are about 50-75% of the media who cover the NFL and are paid for their analysis.

Sure it's a great contract if the Bengals win the SB, what a fantastic column Pete.

Thanks Faust for the link

apparently, 17m of that is a signing bonus, which is the only guaranteed money on the deal, and another 19m is incentives.

also, a bunch of that could be in backloaded salaries, for all you know, so you people can untwist your panties.

here's cutler

1/2/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.7 million contract. The deal contains $54 million guaranteed -- each of Cutler's first three base salaries. There was no signing bonus. 2014: $17.5 million (+ $5 million "signing" bonus), 2015: $15.5 million, 2016: $16 million,

(first 3 years - 54m)
flacco

3/1/2013: Signed a six-year, $120.6 million contract. The deal contains $52 million guaranteed, including a $29 million signing bonus. (2013: $1 million) 2014: $6 million (+ $15 million option bonus), 2015: $4 million (+ $7 million option bonus), 2016: $18 million

(first 3 years - 62m)
romo

3/29/2013: Signed a seven-year, $119.5 million contract. The deal contains $55 million guaranteed, including a $25 million signing bonus and Romo's base salaries in years one and two. (2013: $1.5 million) 2014: $1 million (+ $12.5 million "signing" bonus), 2015: $17 million, 2016: $8.5 million

(first 3 years - 57m)
we'll have to wait on dalton's yearly salaries, but right now it doesn't look comparable

edit: apparently dalton's first 3 years work out to 35m

Rotoworld:

-Good agent

-Naive owner

-HC who could care less about public opinions

$19M a season, QBs are going to get $25-$30M a season very soon.
If you think Dalton's agent could pull one over on Mike Brown you got another thing coming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/dalton-gets-17-million-now-22-million-through-early-march/

The Bengals could get out for as little a 2 years /$25m total.

Really a $16m/year average and a lot of that is at the end. He has escalators based on playoff round/winning Super Bowl.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread