What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (2 Viewers)

The 49ers whole playoffs rides on Purdy more so than other QBs. Purdy has shown a couple of times this year that he can fall down into the gutter and not really recover. He can't have a multiple turnover game or it's lights out for the 49ers
Well, to be fair, they all have. Mahomes had 14 picks. Allen 17. Goff and Allen crapped the bed several games. Stroud and Lamar have been the least turnover prone.

This is part of why I think the Ravens game was actually a good thing for Purdy. Made a mistake with a pick early and then tried to play hero ball the rest of the game. Mistakes happen but limit them.

That's what he has to learn. The concern is not turning the ball over, it's that when he does he can't seem to get back into a rhythm

As much as you reference those other guys I don't think anyone worries the wheels are going to come off mahones.

The 49ers whole playoffs rides on Purdy more so than other QBs. Purdy has shown a couple of times this year that he can fall down into the gutter and not really recover. He can't have a multiple turnover game or it's lights out for the 49ers
Well, to be fair, they all have. Mahomes had 14 picks. Allen 17. Goff and Allen crapped the bed several games. Stroud and Lamar have been the least turnover prone.

This is part of why I think the Ravens game was actually a good thing for Purdy. Made a mistake with a pick early and then tried to play hero ball the rest of the game. Mistakes happen but limit them.

That's what he has to learn. The concern is not turning the ball over, it's that when he does he can't seem to get back into a rhythm

As much as you reference those other guys I don't think anyone worries the wheels are going to come off mahones.
They came off against the Raiders and LV isn’t exactly the 85 Bears. He also played like total crap in the Super Bowl against the Bucs. Threw 2 picks in the Super Bowl against SF but the Chiefs got bailed out by Jimmy and his 2.3 QBR in the 4th quarter.

I think Purdy will be fine.

He also played like total crap in the Super Bowl against the Bucs.

I take your point about the Raiders, but this one needs debate. He had no offensive line (I don't think he had more than two starters starting, and they were lousy) against the Bucs and they just terrorized him every snap. Then they went out and signed guys to their OL. But that Super Bowl is a big pass from me, anyway, when it comes to Mahomes.

I take your point about the Raiders, but this one needs debate. He had no offensive line (I don't think he had more than two starters starting, and they were lousy) against the Bucs and they just terrorized him every snap. Then they went out and signed guys to their OL. But that Super Bowl is a big pass from me, anyway, when it comes to Mahomes.
Completely agree on the "pass". Mahomes was actually amazing during that game. He made some miraculous plays that guys ended up dropping, I think because they thought there was no way he could get the ball to them.

Completely agree on the "pass". Mahomes was actually amazing during that game. He made some miraculous plays that guys ended up dropping, I think because they thought there was no way he could get the ball to them.
Mahomes always gets a pass when he’s bad. Not surprising.

Purdy made big plays when it mattered most. Love did not.

Pouring rain, players slipping (including on at least 1 of Love’s TDs) but Purdy placed a dart to Kittle where only he could catch it, and his 9 yard scramble was pivotal at the end.

No disrespect to Love - and for large portions of that game GB looked unstoppable. But gotta give it up to the SF D for playing tough in the red zone.

Good win. Looking forward to seeing who we’re gonna beat next week.
;)

Couple things I noticed from last night's game. Love has a much stronger arm then i thought. It's noticably stronger then Purdys. The problem with that arm strength is that he feels confident consistently throwing off balance. If u were to watch all his drop backs it just felt like half of them he let the ball go off balance. Thats a problem and needs to be coached. That final pick was a perfect example. Running right them throwing slightly left. Tough throw. Purdys is so chill. He struggled most of the night. Was off with a lot of his throws. Didn't faze him. I know his stats were bad and he struggled, but I left the game fairly impressed with how he handles it all. That last drive he was locked in. Dudes legit.

Couple things I noticed from last night's game. Love has a much stronger arm then i thought. It's noticably stronger then Purdys. The problem with that arm strength is that he feels confident consistently throwing off balance. If u were to watch all his drop backs it just felt like half of them he let the ball go off balance. Thats a problem and needs to be coached. That final pick was a perfect example. Running right them throwing slightly left. Tough throw. Purdy is so chill. He struggled most of the night. Was off with a lot of his throws. Didn't faze him. I know his stats were bad and he struggled, but I left the game fairly impressed with how he handles it all. That last drive he was locked in. Dudes

Purdy made big plays when it mattered most. Love did not.

Pouring rain, players slipping (including on at least 1 of Love’s TDs) but Purdy placed a dart to Kittle where only he could catch it, and his 9 yard scramble was pivotal at the end.

No disrespect to Love - and for large portions of that game GB looked unstoppable. But gotta give it up to the SF D for playing tough in the red zone.

Good win. Looking forward to seeing who we’re gonna beat next week.
;)
Losing Deebo like 10 plays into the game certainly didn't help, especially as it looked like he was gonna be the focal point of the passing game, which makes sense to have a YAC monster be your focal point in rougher weather.

I thought both QBs played pretty poorly, but like you said, Purdy made the plays when it mattered most, and the right team won in my opinion. I think both SF and GB are pretty set at QB going forward.

Losing Deebo like 10 plays into the game certainly didn't help, especially
Imma be honest, I thought that was game over.

In the past they struggled without him. Even when he’s not having big games. He’s the engine to Shanny’s offense. The threat of his versatility changes everything & unlocks Kittle, Aiyuk, & CMC to some extent.

I was feeling some doom & gloom when he came out without pads.

Still makes Kenny Pickett look like a music box ballerina. :shrug:
I think he had a good drive after an average-to-not-great game. Love outplayed him. But SF was better pretty much everywhere else.

I don't think this game says anything bad at all about the 49ers, and Purdy moving forward. He's very promising, and we will see how he develops.

I thought that game was a bit of a coming out, these guys might be for real party for the Packers. Packers looked promising, at like 5 different spots. They are just so young.

Still makes Kenny Pickett look like a music box ballerina. :shrug:
I think he had a good drive after an average-to-not-great game. Love outplayed him. But SF was better pretty much everywhere else.

I don't think this game says anything bad at all about the 49ers, and Purdy moving forward. He's very promising, and we will see how he develops.

I thought that game was a bit of a coming out, these guys might be for real party for the Packers. Packers looked promising, at like 5 different spots. They are just so young.
Yeah, like I said in the Niners topic, I don’t think it’s right to be too critical of either team or QB on a sample size of 1 game.

The field was sloppy, both teams had gaffs, and both teams had clutch plays.

My big takeaways on Purdy were the incredible throw to Kittle - pressure in his face, about to take a big hit & put the ball where only GK could catch it; and the moxie he showed on that GW drive - the 9 yard scramble, but also that he kept his composure after the brutal Kittle drop. Perfect pass, Kittle uncharacteristically tried to run before securing the catch, putting them in 3rd and long. And BAM! Throws a dart for a 1st. To me, that play decided the game. I was sure they’d score after that. Huge momentum build.

On the other side of the ball, Love outplayed Purdy for most of the game. Purdy should have definitely had 1, probably 2 Ints. And yeah, SF DBs slipped, but Love saw it and made the right reads every time. That’s big-time situational awareness & very impressive.

But at the end, Love’s inexperience showed a bit. He had 10+ yards of green in front of him & plenty of time. They only needed a FG to tie it, which was like ~30 yards away with ~50 seconds left. It looked like he panicked a little. Threw it across his body to no one. But I won’t trash him for what was one of his only really bad decisions of the game - it happens. High pressure situation.

I have no doubt he’ll learn & grow from it. I’d love to have Love in dynasty, and Packers fans should be excited about their future.

In the past they struggled without him. Even when he’s not having big games. He’s the engine to Shanny’s offense. The threat of his versatility changes everything & unlocks Kittle, Aiyuk, & CMC to some extent.

Juan Jennings stepped up big time.

Huge. The hugeness cannot be understated. Couple of big-time catches in critical moments.

Huge. The hugeness cannot be understated. Couple of big-time catches in critical moments.
I thought I posted it here but it was on FB somewhere a few days ago, that Jennings could be the X factor in that game. He's one of the best WR3s in the league and always comes up clutch.

6 targets
5 catches
4 first downs
61 yards receiving

I wasn’t worried about the Niners offense at all. A few people on this board argued with me about Deebo’s importance and insisted that he doesn’t matter much, that any shortfall they’ve had previously was because Trent Williams was out at the same time as Deebo. That’s not what my eyes told me previously or last night — but what do I know?

I wasn’t worried about the Niners offense at all. A few people on this board argued with me about Deebo’s importance and insisted that he doesn’t matter much, that any shortfall they’ve had previously was because Trent Williams was out at the same time as Deebo. That’s not what my eyes told me previously or last night — but what do I know?
Not having Deebo is huge for that offense. Especially when they prepare all week to have him. If they know he is out, it still hurts but at least they can game plan for it. Such a physical player and can take a short pass for big chunk plays anytime. Big part of why they struggled last night.

A few people on this board argued with me about Deebo’s importance and insisted that he doesn’t matter much, that any shortfall they’ve had previously was because Trent Williams was out at the same time as Deebo.
Deebo is very important, but Purdy did win 3 games without Deebo last season (weeks 15, 16, 17). He hasn't won without Williams.

That said, when Deebo isn't out there, the 49ers offense loses some of its physicality and dawg mentality. Just him being on the field makes a huge difference. If he misses next week its gonna be another nail biter IMO.

Love this guy! Just wish he wasn’t the QB for an insufferable fanbase. Ugh so conflicted! :lol:
I don’t see their fan base as insufferable. Can you give examples? Now if you were talking about the Eagles…..or KC……or Dallas…..or NE (although more humble now)….

Love this guy! Just wish he wasn’t the QB for an insufferable fanbase. Ugh so conflicted! :lol:
I don’t see their fan base as insufferable. Can you give examples? Now if you were talking about the Eagles…..or KC……or Dallas…..or NE (although more humble now)….
I could but don’t want to as to not offend anyone. But every team has certain fans like that when they are on top. Purdy looks like he will be a star.

I could but don’t want to as to not offend anyone. But every team has certain fans like that when they are on top. Purdy looks like he will be a star.
Isn’t that like beginning a sentence, “not to offend anyone, but……”, using words like insufferable? Since you already insulted them you might as well explain the insult. I believe that term is thrown around against all winning teams. But it does apply to teams that throw snowballs at Santa and opposing teams.

Last edited:
I will say his mental processing is really elite when you watch him move around and make decisions. It’s always been about the athleticism which is “just fine.” He’s a better than cousins player which is good, solid, and may win a Super Bowl. He just needs things to be on some type of schedule because I’m not fully convinced he will bring a team back against a much better coached team .

Isn’t that like beginning a sentence, “not to offend anyone, but……”, using words like insufferable? Since you already insulted them you might as well explain the insult. I believe that term is thrown around against all winning teams. But it does apply to teams that throw snowballs at Santa and opposing teams.
If you want an example I will just say that some fans quit on their team last week when the Niners were down by 4 in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Up until that point, I was fine with the team. But again it’s a small minority of the fanbase I’m sure and every team has fans like that. The word “insufferable “ was probably a bad choice on my part because it certainly doesn’t reflect the entire fanbase.

Users who are viewing this thread