What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (1 Viewer)

Love this guy! Just wish he wasn’t the QB for an insufferable fanbase. Ugh so conflicted! :lol:
I don’t see their fan base as insufferable. Can you give examples? Now if you were talking about the Eagles…..or KC……or Dallas…..or NE (although more humble now)….
I could but don’t want to as to not offend anyone. But every team has certain fans like that when they are on top. Purdy looks like he will be a star.
Isn’t that like beginning a sentence, “not to offend anyone, but……”, using words like insufferable? Since you already insulted them you might as well explain the insult. I believe that term is thrown around against all winning teams. But it does apply to teams that throw snowballs at Santa and opposing teams.
If you want an example I will just say that some fans quit on their team last week when the Niners were down by 4 in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Up until that point, I was fine with the team. But again it’s a small minority of the fanbase I’m sure and every team has fans like that. The word “insufferable “ was probably a bad choice on my part because it certainly doesn’t reflect the entire fanbase.
Wahhhhh! Whine about it some more! :lmao:

Love this guy! Just wish he wasn’t the QB for an insufferable fanbase. Ugh so conflicted! :lol:
I don’t see their fan base as insufferable. Can you give examples? Now if you were talking about the Eagles…..or KC……or Dallas…..or NE (although more humble now)….
I could but don’t want to as to not offend anyone. But every team has certain fans like that when they are on top. Purdy looks like he will be a star.
Isn’t that like beginning a sentence, “not to offend anyone, but……”, using words like insufferable? Since you already insulted them you might as well explain the insult. I believe that term is thrown around against all winning teams. But it does apply to teams that throw snowballs at Santa and opposing teams.
If you want an example I will just say that some fans quit on their team last week when the Niners were down by 4 in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Up until that point, I was fine with the team. But again it’s a small minority of the fanbase I’m sure and every team has fans like that. The word “insufferable “ was probably a bad choice on my part because it certainly doesn’t reflect the entire fanbase.
Exhibit # 2 lol. :shrug:

Why does it feel like Purdy forgets he can run the first half of games and then is like oh wait I'm allowed to scramble... cool

Exhibit # 2 lol. :shrug:
I could pull hundreds of Eagles fans posts of them "quitting on their team" in game threads...which by the way, are just words on a forum, they mean nothing in the real world.

Here's an idea - put me on ignore and you won't have to suffer reading my posts. Easy peasy.

Now back to the topic you've hijacked with your petty complaining:

Brock Purdy's stat line in the second half of the NFC Championship game:

Passing - 13 of 16 for 174 yards with one TD, no INTs and a passer rating of 132.8. 3 rushes for 52 yards with three first downs.

In the last 2 playoff games vs Green Bay and Detroit, Purdy and the 49ers had 10 total 2nd half possessions. Purdy led scoring drives on 8 of them.

He's writing his own chapter in 49er history.

Gonna lose to mahomes
You can pretty much say that about every qb in the league except Burrow
And it’s not Mahomes vs Purdy. We saw in both games yesterday how much of a team game football is. Both QBs played well yesterday but other individuals contributed a lot to those wins. And the losing teams made major mistakes.
You are correct sir but the Trolls don't care, which is why they are trolls :popcorn:

I will say his mental processing is really elite when you watch him move around and make decisions. It’s always been about the athleticism which is “just fine.” He’s a better than cousins player which is good, solid, and may win a Super Bowl. He just needs things to be on some type of schedule because I’m not fully convinced he will bring a team back against a much better coached team .

A couple of the passes he threw looked like pure panic and not "elite mental processing" to me. There were several times where one of his throws could have easily been intercepted, or where one of his WRs needed to make a heroic catch. Yeah I get that happens to every QB sometimes even the elite ones, and I like him as a player and think he has a bright future. But one of these games it will bite him if this doesn't get tuned down. Here's another example.

I don't get everyone needs to label him this or that...elite or not...game manager or not...system QB...as long as he keeps winning games, it doesn't really matter, but they keep at it because they cant accept that a 7th round QB is better than a lot of QBs drafted wayyyy higher.

It's really comical at this point. Just call him the 49ers QB and leave it at that.

I don't get everyone needs to label him this or that...elite or not...game manager or not...system QB...as long as he keeps winning games, it doesn't really matter, but they keep at it because they cant accept that a 7th round QB is better than a lot of QBs drafted wayyyy higher.

It's really comical at this point. Just call him the 49ers QB and leave it at that.
That’s too logical. People feel better when they can pile on someone else to take their mind off their own misery.

I will say his mental processing is really elite when you watch him move around and make decisions. It’s always been about the athleticism which is “just fine.” He’s a better than cousins player which is good, solid, and may win a Super Bowl. He just needs things to be on some type of schedule because I’m not fully convinced he will bring a team back against a much better coached team .

A couple of the passes he threw looked like pure panic and not "elite mental processing" to me. There were several times where one of his throws could have easily been intercepted, or where one of his WRs needed to make a heroic catch. Yeah I get that happens to every QB sometimes even the elite ones, and I like him as a player and think he has a bright future. But one of these games it will bite him if this doesn't get tuned down. Here's another example.
Agree with you. I think this is where perhaps he could make the play if he had the athleticism but he just doesn't have it. I'm just speaking from conjecture and haven't fully watched the all-22 but sometimes I feel that people can make the "right" play but just lack the athleticism to make the play. Process is sound but results don't work type of thing.

In the last two weeks, Purdy has broken Shanahan’s 30 game streak of losing games when trailing by 7 in the 4th quarter and tied for the biggest comeback in NFC title game history. No one disputes he led both comebacks

I'm not disputing he led the comebacks either. I like the dude and hope he succeeds. But he definitely has a bit of the Eli Manning vibes to him. Basically, he wins but in doing so alternates between looking incredible and terrible, sometimes within a play or two of one another.

Some plays he shows incredible vision and judgment, putting laser throws into tiny windows that make you think he might be the best QB in the league. Other plays he looks comically awkward and throws up some wobbly duck that makes you cringe the entire time until it mercifully hits the turf.

Agree with you. I think this is where perhaps he could make the play if he had the athleticism but he just doesn't have it. I'm just speaking from conjecture and haven't fully watched the all-22 but sometimes I feel that people can make the "right" play but just lack the athleticism to make the play. Process is sound but results don't work type of thing.

This guy doesn't have enough athleticism?

In the last two weeks, Purdy has broken Shanahan’s 30 game streak of losing games when trailing by 7 in the 4th quarter and tied for the biggest comeback in NFC title game history. No one disputes he led both comebacks

I'm not disputing he led the comebacks either. I like the dude and hope he succeeds. But he definitely has a bit of the Eli Manning vibes to him. Basically, he wins but in doing so alternates between looking incredible and terrible, sometimes within a play or two of one another.

Some plays he shows incredible vision and judgment, putting laser throws into tiny windows that make you think he might be the best QB in the league. Other plays he looks comically awkward and throws up some wobbly duck that makes you cringe the entire time until it mercifully hits the turf.
Well, he's in his second season, so yeah, not a finished product by any means.

I have literally seen every game of his and don't see him throwing a lot of ducks. The ones he does throw are generally where his arm was hit like the pick he threw on Sunday. He does have a tendency to try to play hero ball and throws it up for grabs. Hopefully, something that experience will fix.

I have literally seen every game of his and don't see him throwing a lot of ducks. The ones he does throw are generally where his arm was hit like the pick he threw on Sunday. He does have a tendency to try to play hero ball and throws it up for grabs. Hopefully, something that experience will fix.
Exactly. Brady wasn’t even close to a finished product at this stage of his career. Let’s give Purdy a little bit of time before we start assuming that he can’t improve in a few areas.

Exactly. Brady wasn’t even close to a finished product at this stage of his career. Let’s give Purdy a little bit of time before we start assuming that he can’t improve in a few areas.
Doesn't even have a ring yet. Loser

I think his success is an embarrassment to all 32 teams. They all passed on him six times, and 31 teams passed on him seven times (not counting trades, whatever). How does that happen? How do you not see enough to use a pick on him at any point in the draft?

I didn't see it...but I'm just a guy. If I'm an owner of a billion-dollar organization that spends a lot of money and manpower to get these things right, I want answers from my scouting team. He won last year, he's winning this year. At the very worst, he's gone as far in the playoffs as Dan Marino, and has half his playoff wins as well. Total embarrassment to scouts and analysts across the country.

I think his success is an embarrassment to all 32 teams. They all passed on him six times, and 31 teams passed on him seven times (not counting trades, whatever). How does that happen? How do you not see enough to use a pick on him at any point in the draft?

I didn't see it...but I'm just a guy. If I'm an owner of a billion-dollar organization that spends a lot of money and manpower to get these things right, I want answers from my scouting team. He won last year, he's winning this year. At the very worst, he's gone as far in the playoffs as Dan Marino, and has half his playoff wins as well. Total embarrassment to scouts and analysts across the country.
It just goes to show that the NFL is about as good at picking QBs as fantasy superflex or 2qb league players are that pass on stud players at WR and RBs for mediocre QBs like Zach Wilson, Darnold, Trubisky, Lance, Pickett, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Sanchez, Rosen etc. etc. (the list is too long to post). There isn’t a magic formula. Wasn’t Marino picked as the last player in round one? How bad was that?

Last edited:

It just goes to show that the NFL is about as good at picking QBs as fantasy superflex or 2qb league players are that pass on stud players at WR and RBs for mediocre QBs like Zach Wilson, Darnold, Trubisky, Lance, Pickett, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Sanchez, Rosen etc. etc. (the list is too long to post). There isn’t a magic formula. Wasn’t Marino picked as the last player in round one? How bad was that?
Agreed. The only thing harder then actually playing the NFL QB position is evaluating which ones will actually be good at it.

Marino was 2nd to last. Darrell Green was last. Pretty solid picks with those 2

Tony Eason 15th to the Pats and Ken O'Brien 24th to the Jets. Elway and Jim Kelly 1st two QBs off the board at #1 and #14. Nice QB class :popcorn:

Tony Eason 15th to the Pats and Ken O'Brien 24th to the Jets. Elway and Jim Kelly 1st two QBs off the board at #1 and #14. Nice QB class :popcorn:
Really liked Darrell Green. Man was he a blurr

Really liked Darrell Green. Man was he a blurr
Yep. Was supposed to be "too small". 5th CB off the board (Marino 6th QB off the board).

Last edited:

Oh crap, how could I have forgotten about the immortal Todd Blackledge going #7 overall to the Chiefs? Marino was the 6th QB off the board

I'm really hoping that Brock Purdy does well in the Superbowl, and all of his pundits realize that he's a far better-than-expected QB. Whose growing right before our eyes. The last guy drafted in 2022. You have to give San Francisco coaches and management kudos for moving on from Jimmy G and T Lance. Some teams / coaches have a hard time admitting they were wrong. Look at the Steeler's there still giving the anemic .5 touchdown passes a game Kenny Pickett the benefit of the doubt. Brock is averaging 1.76 touchdowns a game. Sure the 49'ers have better offensive weapons. But Steeler's have some really good skilled players. Brocks passes look purdy Kenny can't hit a picket fence.

2nd year QB
Last pick in the draft
Pro Bowler (and top vote getter)
MVP Finalist
Fed Ex Air player of the year
4 playoff wins
Two NFC title games
About to start a Super Bowl

Users who are viewing this thread