What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (1 Viewer)

Per Lombardi:

Brock Purdy in red-zone work for the 49ers this training camp:

7-10, 5 TD, 0 INT, 1 TD run

I can't believe people actually keep stats for practices. You can't hit the QB in practice.
Normally I wouldn't care, but coming off "major" arm surgery, It's worth noting that he's progressed back to pre injury form and is accurate.

Why so interested in this thread, Eagles fan? Nervous much? Lol

Last edited:
Per Lombardi:

I can't believe people actually keep stats for practices. You can't hit the QB in practice.
Normally I wouldn't care, but coming off "major" arm surgery, It's worth noting that he's progressed back to pre injury form and accurate.

I'm personally interested as I collect cards and have a big stack of Trey Lance rookie cards (that I am almost close to setting on fire, jk)

But I will say, "stats matter" to the degree that if your QB is bad, its not a good sign. Like the stats I'm seeing for Danny Dimes in joint practices vs the Lions, not great (which makes me smile b/c they are obviously a rival of the Birds).

I am just genuinely naturally curious to see how this all plays out as well/how high Purdy's ceiling truly is.

Per Lombardi:

Normally I wouldn't care, but coming off "major" arm surgery, It's worth noting that he's progressed back to pre injury form and is accurate.

Not at all. I didn't think Brock Purdy was good enough to get the 49ers past the Eagles before he had elbow surgery. If he fails, the 49ers are going with re-tread Darnold. Yeah...that's not gonna get it done.

The 49ers are one of the teams that made the playoffs last season that I think can miss the playoff this year.

Not at all. I didn't think Brock Purdy was good enough to get the 49ers past the Eagles before he had elbow surgery. If he fails, the 49ers are going with re-tread Darnold. Yeah...that's not gonna get it done.

The 49ers are one of the teams that made the playoffs last season that I think can miss the playoff this year.

Batting .000 with that post, but you do you, boo.

He did play against the Eagles last season, no? Did the 49ers shore up that offensive line this offseason?

I'm not gonna argue with you, bro. We know you dont like SF or Purdy, so its weird that you're in here so much, but like I said, you do you.

He did play against the Eagles last season, no? Did the 49ers shore up that offensive line this offseason?

This is a fantasy board not a who can be the biggest homer board so take it back to eagles land...

This is a fantasy board not a who can be the biggest homer board so take it back to eagles land...

You have to live in a fantasy world if you think the 49ers QB room has anyone in it that can lead them to the Superbowl.

You have to live in a fantasy world if you think the 49ers QB room has anyone in it that can lead them to the Superbowl.
What’s funny is I feel most Eagles fans would’ve said the same thing about theirs this time last season.

I have been a little vocal about the huge questions surrounding Purdy 1) coming off a busted wing and 2) what defensive coordinators will be able to do with a full off-season of film study. But those questions will be answered after Labor Day.

What I can say on 8/10/23 is the performance Purdy put up last season was absolutely Super Bowl caliber.

He wasn't good for Mr. Irrelevant, he wasn't good for a rookie, dude was good for a seasoned near All Pro QB.

He had poise, accuracy, efficiency, aggressiveness and demonstrated incredible football IQ.

The wheels could easily fall off this year but if they don't the NFC should consider itself to be put on notice.

Brock's ADP is around 20. In bigger leagues where many teams draft a backup QB, Brock is relevant.
QB20???
49er's "composite" regular season QB last season would have been 337/511 (66%) for 4,015 yards with 30 TD's and 9 INT's.
Top 15, top 10, and top 5 numbers. With those weapons and coaching, someone's going to be putting up some stats.
(I picked Purdy up for nothing in a couple dynasty SF leagues last year and holding despite some lowball offers so far)

I guess Vegas and oddsmakers around the globe are all in fantasy worlds, since there are only 2 teams with better odds of winning their conference than SF, and both of those teams have "elite" QBs while the 49ers have no one worth a roster spot at the position.

The bitterness is funny.

Luckily nobody, including the 49ers, gives a crap about what you think

I'm enjoying what he says.

I'm enjoying what he says.

Well we found one person that enjoys the pointless antagonism

I for one look forward to this becoming a fantasy and outlook conversation about Purdy again

This wasn't a very neighborly post either.

Not trying to throw heat just pointing out that the only thing we can do to avoid needless antagonism is to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Our response is the only thing we truly have control over.

Not trying to throw heat just pointing out that the only thing we can do to avoid needless antagonism is to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Concur and I took the bait. My apologies. He was fishing and deliberately trying to get a rise and i responded
Let's get it all back on track

Concur and I took the bait. My apologies. He was fishing and deliberately trying to get a rise and i responded
No worries. We all #### it up.

We also all fall prey to reading posts in our own voice which leads to a lot of miscommunication and unintentional antagonism.

There is no perfect solution.

Reading Brock's having a rough go in these joint practices. Any SF beats backing this up?
Yeah, he's thrown some picks (3 today I think) and people are losing their minds.

The thing is, he's still just 5 months into a planned 6 month recovery/rehab program and week 1 is still a month away. And the thing about practice is there is no game plan or real play calling. Purdy is at his best IMO at playing within a game plan and executing the offense within that plan. When he has a week to prepare for a defense, and have an offensive game plan as well as his full arsenal, we will see if he was a flash on the pan or not.

I'm not worried, but I'm sure a lot of people are, and a lot are hoping like hell he regresses, because if he doesn't its lights out for the rest of the NFC. I'm just gonna watch it all play out.

Reading Brock's having a rough go in these joint practices. Any SF beats backing this up?
Yeah, he's thrown some picks (3 today I think) and people are losing their minds.

The thing is, he's still just 5 months into a planned 6 month recovery/rehab program and week 1 is still a month away. And the thing about practice is there is no game plan or real play calling. Purdy is at his best IMO at playing within a game plan and executing the offense within that plan. When he has a week to prepare for a defense, and have an offensive game plan as well as his full arsenal, we will see if he was a flash on the pan or not.

I'm not worried, but I'm sure a lot of people are, and a lot are hoping like hell he regresses, because if he doesn't its lights out for the rest of the NFC. I'm just gonna watch it all play out.
Any word on how Darnold looked?

Appreciate the feedback. I'm the type to believe "practice is where you try things out" vs being a machine and making no mistakes so, camp INTs and joint practices underwhelming don't really get me too fired up. Good point about him still in recovery from the elbow surgery too. We'll see how he looks in preseason, assuming they are going to play him in games. Then go from there.

Didn't Mahomes toss many interceptions during training camp and preseason in his 2nd year with Chiefs (his first year as starting QB)? That is before he he tore up NFL and won league MVP.

Didn't Mahomes toss many interceptions during training camp and preseason in his 2nd year with Chiefs (his first year as starting QB)? That is before he he tore up NFL and won league MVP.
I remember Mahomes taking a lot of heat back then. Of course the same "experts" were all over Chase for dropping a few passes in his early days.

Lombardi:

INT rate of top three 49ers' QBs at training camp...

Brock Purdy: 4.5%
Trey Lance: 2.1%
Sam Darnold: 1.1%

Purdy in the regular season last year was 2.4%. SF would like to keep that rate at 2% or lower, but Purdy was also exceptionally efficient even at 2.4%.

They'll obviously want a lower INT rate from him in the regular season, but they'll also be game-planning to facilitate that — practice is about installation and iron-out, etc. Jimmy Garoppolo was at 3.1% in his most recent 49ers' training camp (2021). By 2022, Garoppolo was at a career-low 1.3% INT rate in-season.

So these things evolve. Practice is one piece of the prep effort

We also all fall prey to reading posts in our own voice which leads to a lot of miscommunication and unintentional antagonism.

If we all read posts in Gilbert Gottfried's voice, the world would be a better place.

If we all read posts in Gilbert Gottfried's voice, the world would be a better place.
F'ing brilliant!!!

Please don't ever compare mahomes and Purdy lmao
FF God forbids if I make any comparison between Mahomes and Purdy when it comes to talent. I was merely making a reference of negative media news during preseason, which amounted to nothing. I dont expect Purdy to storm the league outright and win MVP.

I remember Mahomes taking a lot of heat back then. Of course the same "experts" were all over Chase for dropping a few passes in his early days.
Exactly!

Nick Wagoner:

Purdy QBR in pocket: 74.9 (1st in NFL)
QBR out of pocket: 59.7 (13th)

Time before throwing: 2.84 seconds (29th)
Contacted by defender percentage: 19.4% (22nd)

Goal is to get him to get ball out even quicker in 2023.

Akash Anavarathan
Kyle Shanahan told Albert Breer that “Brock Purdy would have to melt in practice to lose the starting job.”

I don’t even remember Shanahan talking about Garoppolo like this after 2017, but this is how you inject confidence into a second-year starting quarterback.
So funny but he also is the coach when asked a year or 2 ago if Jimmy G would be on the roster come Sunday, he responded with something like: I can't guarantee he or anyone else will even be alive Sunday.

Akash Anavarathan
Kyle Shanahan told Albert Breer that “Brock Purdy would have to melt in practice to lose the starting job.”

I don’t even remember Shanahan talking about Garoppolo like this after 2017, but this is how you inject confidence into a second-year starting quarterback.
What does "melting" look like? Apparently not 10 INT on 197 passes in camp.

Shanahan says he's not nervous, what about us?

Akash Anavarathan

What does "melting" look like? Apparently not 10 INT on 197 passes in camp.

Shanahan says he's not nervous, what about us?

Purdy 2022 camp: 5.9% INT rate (all 3rd team reps)
Purdy 2022 season (incl playoffs): 1.7% INT rate

Purdy 2023 camp: 5.1% INT rate (all 1st team reps)
Purdy 2023 season: He will be fine.

Also:

Fact that Brock Purdy's INT rate has been over 5% in both of his camps and 1.7% (very low) during actual games illustrates what 49ers are thinking: There's a significant difference between practice process and game process. Purdy also had a low turnover-worthy throw rate in 2022.

Based on those numbers, it seems Purdy takes more chances in practice, learning what he can and can't get away with and then applies what he learned in real games.

I am a bit worried about the Steelers defense week 1 though. They're very good.

Based on those numbers, it seems Purdy takes more chances in practice, learning what he can and can't get away with and then applies what he learned in real games.

I am a bit worried about the Steelers defense week 1 though. They're very good.

Not only are they very good but they can really bring the pass rush

Trey Lance since he graduated high school has taken a whopping 420 pass attempts
Read that again slowly...

Most guys throw that many passes in a single season or less, this guy has never played football and being asked to do too much
Niners are a Super Bowl caliber team

Shanahan says Purdy is his starting QB, guess it's time to believe him
I don't have high hopes for the Niners passing game this season, I just don't
They are going to run the ball a lot and I expect their RB2 to get some real work throughout the year to keep CMC healthy, he's the guy.on offense.

The offense will be as it has been in recent years - running the ball, and the QB getting the ball in playmakers hands quickly while they rack up the YAC.

Users who are viewing this thread