What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Sam Howell, SEA (4 Viewers)

Is Howell worth rostering in a 12 teamer PPR? Jordan Love is out there as well. Both of these guys are in similar boats, but it seems Howell's supporting cast is a bit stronger.

What are the chances these guys surprise and end up top 15?
Not sure I agree Howell has a stronger supporting cast. At best it looks like a push, particularly with McLaurin having a turf toe.

It feels like a pick your poison situation. To me it's close enough that I honestly don't know which one I would chose.

I think I slightly lean towards Love as he has had two years in the system and has seen more in game action.

However Howell is a bit more mobile so...
That's kinda where I am at...pick your poison. I like Howell's mobility and I wonder if he might play more aggressively with both arm and feet. He's going to have to put points on the board to keep up with that division too.
Sounds like you have made.your decision. Stick to it.

Or flip a coin not to decide for you but when the coin is in the air you will absolutely know which side you want it to land on. That's who you should take.

Would you rather have Howell or Purdy in a dynasty 1QB? I remember Howell being thought of as a top QB prospect leading up to 2022, and he seems more athletic than Purdy with a pretty good looking offense around him. But Purdy has had some success in the NFL already and has the better overall weapons around him.

Is Howell worth rostering in a 12 teamer PPR? Jordan Love is out there as well. Both of these guys are in similar boats, but it seems Howell's supporting cast is a bit stronger.

Not sure I agree Howell has a stronger supporting cast. At best it looks like a push, particularly with McLaurin having a turf toe.

It feels like a pick your poison situation. To me it's close enough that I honestly don't know which one I would chose.

I think I slightly lean towards Love as he has had two years in the system and has seen more in game action.

That's kinda where I am at...pick your poison. I like Howell's mobility and I wonder if he might play more aggressively with both arm and feet. He's going to have to put points on the board to keep up with that division too.

Or flip a coin not to decide for you but when the coin is in the air you will absolutely know which side you want it to land on. That's who you should take.
Still waivering here....I don't like that McLauren turf toe. On the other side, GB might not want to or need to push Love and the O quite so hard to keep up.

Or I could just leave them both there and pick up Tannehill, Mac, Murray, or Stafford...hahaha

Have to think his ADP will go up after last night. Fortunately there are enough non-believers out there so that you can still get him late, even in superflex. Targeting him as my upside 3rd WR in superflex for sure.
Upside 3rd WR is just about right for a project QB on a bad team.

Still waivering here....I don't like that McLauren turf toe. On the other side, GB might not want to or need to push Love and the O quite so hard to keep up.

Or I could just leave them both there and pick up Tannehill, Mac, Murray, or Stafford...hahaha
IDK I think, ultimately the team with the better defense will have more luxury to use the QB less. Unfortunately I have no idea which team has the better defense ATM.

Would you rather have Howell or Purdy in a dynasty 1QB? I remember Howell being thought of as a top QB prospect leading up to 2022, and he seems more athletic than Purdy with a pretty good looking offense around him. But Purdy has had some success in the NFL already and has the better overall weapons around him.
While I’d rather have Howell for upside, Purdy has a much better chance at keeping his job, solely because he’s in a better system that doesn’t ask him to do much. So it really depends on what you want in a backup QB. I’d go for upside and Howell, but understand those that would say Purdy.

To me the big difference is Howell's rushing upside. I think Love has some, but not as much of that.

With TMc (hopefully) avoiding serious injury, Howell has a great OC and a host of weapons at his disposal. GB has 2 good WR and kinda meh behind them.

Personally I'm higher on Howell. He looks the part - cool and collected, and made great decisions under pressure. I've been hawking him since I took him in a SF start-up in June. Hopefully he plays well enough to have some long-term appeal.

But for redraft, I believe he's worth rostering for sure. Agree with @Chaka that at the moment it's kind of coin-flippy. I like the EB factor as well.

Have to think his ADP will go up after last night. Fortunately there are enough non-believers out there so that you can still get him late, even in superflex. Targeting him as my upside 3rd QB in superflex for sure.
He's rostered in all 3 of my SF dynasty leagues.

In my redraft that drafted Sunday he's a FA. I'm so tempted to pick him up over Pickett (my current QB2) or drop a LB4 for him just to see how it goes.

I take Howell over all 4 of those guys for redraft.

While I’d rather have Howell for upside, Purdy has a much better chance at keeping his job, solely because he’s in a better system that doesn’t ask him to do much. So it really depends on what you want in a backup QB. I’d go for upside and Howell, but understand those that would say Purdy.
Thanks, that's my thought as well. Howell for ceiling, Purdy for floor, and I prefer to chase ceiling with my backups.

Here is what I wrote during our live coverage of the NFL draft last year:

Sam Howell was drafted with the first pick of the fifth round by the Washington Commanders, becoming the sixth quarterback and 144th overall player in the 2022 NFL Draft.

COLLEGE PRODUCTION

Howell had prolific freshman and sophomore seasons for the Tarheels as a three-year starter. He threw for over 7,100 yards and 68 TDs to go with just 14 INTs those first two years while finishing in his junior season with 3,056 yards and 24 TDs to go with nine more INTs. He had 828 yards rushing and 11 rushing TDs in his final season. He is headed to the NFL with the all-time Tar Heel records for passing yards and passing TDs.

FILM

Howell shows good touch on his throws and does a good job of looking off defenders while setting up in the pocket. He has a strong arm and can fire short and intermediate throws with a lot of zip while also excelling on deep balls. He can throw from multiple release angles and has a very quick release.

ATHLETIC TESTING

Howell threw at the combine but did not participate in the athletic tests. He was predicted by one source to run a 4.9 forty-yard dash and indeed produced a lot on the ground during his final season.

DRAFT ANALYSIS

Rapid Reaction to Draft Capital: Poor

Rapid Reaction to Landing Spot: Above-Average

Howell was selected with the 144th-overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft by the Commanders

FANTASY INSIGHTS

Howell will need to sit and learn behind Carson Wentz before he gets a chance to become fantasy relevant. The Washington brass has given their public endorsement to Wentz as being a long-term answer for the club, but we all know anything can happen in the NFL. Howell was once considered the #1 QB prospect coming into the 2021 season, and for a time that summer was the odds on favorite to go #1 overall. His 2021 season was not as good as 2020 but he did show his ability to create with his legs and could be a sneaky good value for both the Commanders and fantasy owners.

I think we will see a lot of variance in where these rookie QBs go in Superflex rookie drafts. I expect Howell to go anywhere from late first to late second. He will likely not hold any redraft or best ball value but Wentz has not been the picture of health. Nor has he been as good as he was before his major injuries.

Thanks, that's my thought as well. Howell for ceiling, Purdy for floor, and I prefer to chase ceiling with my backups.
Seems the smarter strategy generally.

I like all of those names. I think Purdy has plenty of ceiling. He probably has the most talented skill position group in the NFL, or is in that discussion anyway. So is Howell. I like Love also but I'd flip a coin between those two. Thing is *maybe* Purdy loses his job. So could Howell of course. IDK. Other tiebreaker *might be Washington has a week 14 bye. Depending on your league format that might influence it. The FPC redraft contests have our league championships in week 14 for example.

One thing that really impressed me, and I don't know if more/less credit needs to go to Bienemy v Howell, but at one point as I was very excited to see Gibson so heavily involved in the passing game in the 4 minute drill of the first half, after they had just used Brian Robinson in the passing game as well ---- I remember thinking to myself ok this is awesome for my Gibson out look but let's see Howell look downfield a bit more.

And then he hit Dotson and Dyami Brown for like 6 or 7 passes in a row or something and I was like yeah ok he is making really good decisions out there. I'm kind of hyped. I don't even have any Howell in SuperFlex dynasty leagues but I did take him as my 2nd QB in a lot of Best Balls and am more or less fawning over my Dotson/Gibson shares everywhere as I am pretty overweight on those guys. So glad to see them dominate but yeah let's get to week 1!!

One thing that really impressed me, and I don't know if more/less credit needs to go to Bienemy v Howell, but at one point as I was very excited to see Gibson so heavily involved in the passing game in the 4 minute drill of the first half, after they had just used Brian Robinson in the passing game as well ---- I remember thinking to myself ok this is awesome for my Gibson out look but let's see Howell look downfield a bit more.

And then he hit Dotson and Dyami Brown for like 6 or 7 passes in a row or something and I was like yeah ok he is making really good decisions out there. I'm kind of hyped. I don't even have any Howell in SuperFlex dynasty leagues but I did take him as my 2nd QB in a lot of Best Balls and am more or less fawning over my Dotson/Gibson shares everywhere as I am pretty overweight on those guys. So glad to see them dominate but yeah let's get to week 1!!

I’m a local Washington fan and totally agree with this. He played great last night and this is going to be an underrated offense. They are 6 weeks ahead of where they normally are at this time of year and that’s all EB. They got the plays in, dudes lined up, ran the hurry up, moved the chains, all with the game on the line and without flags. We are not used to that sort of competence. There’s a huge positive energy around this team right now and they are going to be fun.

ETA- traded Geno and a 4 for Howell and a 3 today in a Tri Flex today. I’m buying where I can, he’s a real QB.

Last edited:
Washington coach Ron Rivera said QB Sam Howell has a chance to be “really good.”
“We feel very strongly — I know I do — going into the season that we’ve got a guy,” Rivera said on Howell. “For three seasons, I’ve always felt I had a question mark and now it feels like this is pretty good. I look forward to seeing it.” Washington has started 12 different quarterbacks since Kirk Cousins left in 2017 and eight in Rivera’s three seasons. Howell’s preseason has the team hopeful this is the year their QB search stops. Playing with elite receivers and a coordinator that’s looking to make the head coaching leap, Howell is set up for success in his first year as starter. Howell opens Week 1 with a favorable matchup vs the Cardinals.

I think Howell has a better FF floor due to his rushing ability.

Washington coach Ron Rivera said QB Sam Howell has a chance to be “really good.”
“We feel very strongly — I know I do — going into the season that we’ve got a guy,” Rivera said on Howell. “For three seasons, I’ve always felt I had a question mark and now it feels like this is pretty good. I look forward to seeing it.” Washington has started 12 different quarterbacks since Kirk Cousins left in 2017 and eight in Rivera’s three seasons. Howell’s preseason has the team hopeful this is the year their QB search stops. Playing with elite receivers and a coordinator that’s looking to make the head coaching leap, Howell is set up for success in his first year as starter. Howell opens Week 1 with a favorable matchup vs the Cardinals.
Man, I hope this kid has longevity. I paired him with Mahomes in a 16-team SF start-up. He could be a big key to some long term success for me if he hits & gets extended

Last edited:
I think Howell has a better FF floor due to his rushing ability.
I’m thinking about it for dynasty and am favoring Purdy. Worried that Howell’s grip on the job is very tenuous compared to Purdy.

I’m thinking about it for dynasty and am favoring Purdy. Worried that Howell’s grip on the job is very tenuous compared to Purdy.
As of this moment, sure.

You can only look at slices of time and make decisions based on that.

I went Howell over Ridder in June, when Ridder seemed like the much safer pick to get at least 2 seasons.

I’m gambling that Howell is a better FF QB, and will play his way to longevity. It’s a risk, but so far so good.

As of this moment, sure.

I went Howell over Ridder in June, when Ridder seemed like the much safer pick to get at least 2 seasons.

I’m gambling that Howell is a better FF QB, and will play his way to longevity. It’s a risk, but so far so good.
I’m trying to be careful not to dox myself in case my league mates happen to be browsing this board too, but my team’s QB1 is Tua. So that’s further context to siding with floor over ceiling in this case. But I’m still one to chase ceiling and I got a look at Howell’s rushing numbers in college, think I’ll take the gamble as well.

As of this moment, sure.

I’m trying to be careful not to dox myself in case my league mates happen to be browsing this board too, but my team’s QB1 is Tua. So that’s further context to siding with floor over ceiling in this case. But I’m still one to chase ceiling and I got a look at Howell’s rushing numbers in college, think I’ll take the gamble as well.
That’s what had me sold. He was easily going to go top 10 1st round lock until his last season, after he lost all of his weapons.

Commanders got a bargain. The kid can play.

To me the big difference is Howell's rushing upside. I think Love has some, but not as much of that.

With TMc (hopefully) avoiding serious injury, Howell has a great OC and a host of weapons at his disposal. GB has 2 good WR and kinda meh behind them.

Personally I'm higher on Howell. He looks the part - cool and collected, and made great decisions under pressure. I've been hawking him since I took him in a SF start-up in June. Hopefully he plays well enough to have some long-term appeal.

But for redraft, I believe he's worth rostering for sure. Agree with @Chaka that at the moment it's kind of coin-flippy. I like the EB factor as well.
Does it look like the team is going to let him run, a bit freely…even design some runs?

Or is that just a nice fringe benefit when no one’s open and he runs as a last resort?

In other words, can we consider him a Konami Code “running QB” like the rest? Only he’s the one no one is talking about?

COLLEGE PRODUCTION

Howell had prolific freshman and sophomore seasons for the Tarheels as a three-year starter. He threw for over 7,100 yards and 68 TDs to go with just 14 INTs those first two years while finishing in his junior season with 3,056 yards and 24 TDs to go with nine more INTs. He had 828 yards rushing and 11 rushing TDs in his final season. He is headed to the NFL with the all-time Tar Heel records for passing yards and passing TDs.

I don't know how comfortable I would be with calling him a Konami Code candidate but he is plenty athletic and is going to get some FF points on the ground. I wouldn't be expecting much but it is certainly a bonus and something that most people aren't aware of.

Does it look like the team is going to let him run, a bit freely…even design some runs?

Or is that just a nice fringe benefit when no one’s open and he runs as a last resort?

In other words, can we consider him a Konami Code “running QB” like the rest? Only he’s the one no one is talking about?
I believe he’s Konami code. He has EB behind him, and from what we saw in his one start he knows when to run. I believe WAS will let him as well.

That’s the gamble.

I believe he’s Konami code. He has EB behind him, and from what we saw in his one start he knows when to run. I believe WAS will let him as well.

That’s the gamble.
he is basically free, there is no gamble. it's a freeroll baby.

That’s the gamble.
Yeah, I don’t see WAS putting shackles on him.

I don't know how comfortable I would be with calling him a Konami Code candidate but he is plenty athletic and is going to get some FF points on the ground. I wouldn't be expecting much but it is certainly a bonus and something that most people aren't aware of.
His college film is chock full of it though. It’s definitely part of his game, and he’s built for it.

That’s the gamble.
Yeah, I don’t see WAS putting shackles on him.
I meant free in terms of price. If we're wrong about his rushing upside it doesn't hurt us. If we take Hurts in the 1st round and the Eagles decide they don't want him running as much anymore, it hurts us. Brain hurt yet?

I meant free in terms of price. If we're wrong about his rushing upside it doesn't hurt us. If we take Hurts in the 1st round and the Eagles decide they don't want him running as much anymore, it hurts us. Brain hurt yet?
Ah - yeah, agreed. Though I did pay a 6.01 in a dynasty superflex start-up 😬

Redraft I plucked him off waivers on the 1st run, so yeah, basically free.

That’s what had me sold. He was easily going to go top 10 1st round lock until his last season, after he lost all of his weapons.

People underestimate how big a deal the bolded is. Happens a lot, too.

As a NC State fan who has to endure endless UNC hype, IMO this is overblown. If he is a quality NFL caliber QB, there was enough talent at UNC for him to play better than he did in his final season.

That said, it seems that he has gotten some quality NFL level QB coaching, because he seems to have improved in some of his weaker areas to the point that he has a chance to become a solid starter this season.

People underestimate how big a deal the bolded is. Happens a lot, too.

As a NC State fan who has to endure endless UNC hype, IMO this is overblown. If he is a quality NFL caliber QB, there was enough talent at UNC for him to play better than he did in his final season.

That said, it seems that he has gotten some quality NFL level QB coaching, because he seems to have improved in some of his weaker areas to the point that he has a chance to become a solid starter this season.
He was responsible for 3800 yards and 35 TDs his final season.

He had completed 68% of his passes the year before and only 62% his final year. Bumping from 7 INTs to 9 and dropped from 3500 yards passing to 3000 yards. But his rushing went from 146 yards to 828 and 11 TDs.

I'm just not really clear on why his final season was looked at so negatively. Mixed bag at worst I suppose but I really think this had more to do with strange expectations. His final season sure seems good to me.

He had completed 68% of his passes the year before and only 62% his final year. Bumping from 7 INTs to 9 and dropped from 3500 yards passing to 3000 yards. But his rushing went from 146 yards to 828 and 11 TDs.

I'm just not really clear on why his final season was looked at so negatively. Mixed bag at worst I suppose but I really think this had more to do with strange expectations. His final season sure seems good to me.
North Carolina (and Howell) lost just about every starting skill position player from the previous year to the NFL. Both starting RB's (Javonte Williams and Michael Carter) and if I remember correctly their top 2 WR's. I think Josh Downs emerged as a result... But Howell was playing with really young and inexperienced skill position players vs being loaded with NFL talent and experience at those positions the season before. It clearly made a difference...

I thought he handled it about as well as anyone could have expected. As evidenced by using his mobility to his advantage.

ETA: that said, I never thought of him as a top 10 NFL draft prospect. Always thought he might be a late 1st or day 2 prospect best case scenario.

Last edited:

Well, one thing you may not know if you don't follow the ACC or live in ACC country is that UNC is relentlessly overhyped, year in, year out. Entering his final year, the hype around Howell was that he was a Heisman contender, and UNC was a contender for the ACC championship, which would have put them in contention for a playoff spot.

UNC was ranked #10 entering the season and was unranked by the end of September and not ranked again all season. Howell was viewed as a Heisman contender and a contender for a top NFL draft pick entering the season, and obviously didn't come close to any of that.

He underachieved compared to expectations, and so did the team, which went 6-7, losing to the other Carolina (USC) by 17 points in the Duke's Mayo Bowl. Trust me, it was glorious. :wub::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::banned:

Well, one thing you may not know if you don't follow the ACC or live in ACC country is that UNC is relentlessly overhyped, year in, year out. Entering his final year, the hype around Howell was that he was a Heisman contender, and UNC was a contender for the ACC championship, which would have put them in contention for a playoff spot.

UNC was ranked #10 entering the season and was unranked by the end of September and not ranked again all season. Howell was viewed as a Heisman contender and a contender for a top NFL draft pick entering the season, and obviously didn't come close to any of that.

He underachieved compared to expectations, and so did the team, which went 6-7, losing to the other Carolina (USC) by 17 points in the Duke's Mayo Bowl. Trust me, it was glorious. :wub::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::wolf::banned:
That is more or less my entire point, though. The expectations weren't entirely rational in terms of anything less than a Heisman campaign and/or a contending season. That was a rational bar to set for him but the reaction shouldn't be "he is a failure because he didn't win it all when he was expected to." And I'm not saying you're saying that, just that seems to be the mantra in sports. If you're 2nd place you're last and I think that is dumb.

I do not understand how someone that produced like that falls so far in the eyes of the NFL. It wasn't just people like you or me it was real GMs. Every team passed on him multiple times. Why? Because his senior season was so awful? That doesn't add up.

Looks like he had Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome as his primary receivers in 2019/2020 in addition to Carter/Javonte. IDK Dyami looks like he'll be playing in 3WR sets in Washington but not exactly earth-shattering talent here he had at WR before 2022. That season was all about Josh Downs getting 101 of Howell's 217 completions.

Users who are viewing this thread