What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Zach Wilson, DEN (1 Viewer)

you are right. funny thing is it has to some degree been going on for a long time in one form or another.

It has been going on for some time. It's gotten way worse than when I was a kid. I used to hear my young nephew (at the time) refer to players as "trash" and I was always taken aback by that. Where did he learn that at such a young age? This type of attention-seeking and strong invective permeates the culture in unseen ways until it's very seen and very heard.

From the mouths of babes.
Not to be an old man yelling at clouds, but it's the social media/youtube/twitch "I have to have a strong opinion, and I have to have one fast!" mentality. It's not just kids, it's permeated all of society. Getting off of a majority of social media platforms, for me, was a very big upgrade for my mental health and I think most people would benefit from it. You no longer feel the need to have an opinion on something just to be part of the zeitgeist.

Edit: to remain on topic, I will have to see Wilson do it again. I've yet to see anything that screams he's anything more than the best available option amongst bad options. He's not a great NFL QB from what I've seen.

Getting off of a majority of social media platforms, for me, was a very big upgrade for my mental health and I think most people would benefit from it. You no longer feel the need to have an opinion on something just to be part of the zeitgeist.

I think that our brain hasn't evolved enough to handle social media. Good for you for getting off those platforms.

Oh, and you are an old man yelling at clouds whether you want to be or not. ;)

At this point, you have to fire Saleh for sticking with Wilson over common sense and what we ALL can see with our own eyes, no? This is simply embarrassing to watch - and I'm not even a Jet's fan.

Wilson has had more than enough chances. And while his OL may be as bad as their NFC counterparts in the Giants….I have seen enough.

He stinks.

At this point, you have to fire Saleh for sticking with Wilson over common sense and what we ALL can see with our own eyes, no? This is simply embarrassing to watch - and I'm not even a Jet's fan.
I have to believe there is zero chance Saleh is sticking by Wilson without full support of the GM and owner - it would be career suicide otherwise - he's the one taking the bullets for the other 2 cowering behind the scenes. This is a group consensus IMO

Part of the blame needs to go to management. A call to the Cardinals for Dobbs would look awfully good right now.

Did the Jets even try to acquire a QB? I know it’s not ideal to get a QB mid-season, but they should’ve been more desperate.

I have to believe there is zero chance Saleh is sticking by Wilson without full support of the GM and owner - it would be career suicide otherwise - he's the one taking the bullets for the other 2 cowering behind the scenes. This is a group consensus IMO
Agree with this. I think JD and probably Woody are trying to (poorly) salvage the disastrous pick of Zach. Why they didn't go after a Dobbs is unclear, but it is what it is.

Salah may not be much of a head coach, but he's exactly right here. The QB has always received too much credit and too much blame.
Wilson has obvious raw physical skills that few others at his position have. He may have the strongest arm in the league. And he's a great
runner. Why they don't call more designed runs for him is beyond me. He has one NFL caliber WR on the team- Garrett Wilson. Who, of
course, is going to be double and triple teamed considering what garbage is lining up next to him.

There were some killer penalties- two of them by Lazard, who is pathetic, which wiped out first downs. There were also several key drops by'
his sterling corps of receivers. Hall breaks off big plays, but is not a consistent runner. If he gave the team a real running game, then the
opposition couldn't bring the heat every play. Which brings us to Wilson's offensive line. The absolute worst in the league. This kid barely has
2 seconds to throw. And the coaches clearly have told him to stay in the pocket, which is the opposite of what he should be doing.

I would like to see Jalen Hurts line up behind that line, with those "weapons" around him, and that coaching staff. Let Hackett call his plays. And
conversely, would love to see Zach Wilson behind the Eagles line- by far the best in the league- throwing to real weapons. And obviously with a
far superior coaching staff. Wilson's confidence is probably shot. Maybe drunk Joe Namath can come out and demand they get rid of him again.
These organizations are not run by rocket scientists. They miss on players the vast majority of the time.

I know I'm in the minority. I usually am. I hope Wilson gets to prove just how talented he is. They should let him run. Design roll outs. Call more
screens to perhaps his best weapon, Hall. Stop taking Hall out so often, and there is zero reason for Carter to be the receiving back. Lots of blame
to go around here.

Salah may not be much of a head coach, but he's exactly right here. The QB has always received too much credit and too much blame.
Wilson has obvious raw physical skills that few others at his position have. He may have the strongest arm in the league. And he's a great
runner. Why they don't call more designed runs for him is beyond me. He has one NFL caliber WR on the team- Garrett Wilson. Who, of
course, is going to be double and triple teamed considering what garbage is lining up next to him.

There were some killer penalties- two of them by Lazard, who is pathetic, which wiped out first downs. There were also several key drops by'
his sterling corps of receivers. Hall breaks off big plays, but is not a consistent runner. If he gave the team a real running game, then the
opposition couldn't bring the heat every play. Which brings us to Wilson's offensive line. The absolute worst in the league. This kid barely has
2 seconds to throw. And the coaches clearly have told him to stay in the pocket, which is the opposite of what he should be doing.

I would like to see Jalen Hurts line up behind that line, with those "weapons" around him, and that coaching staff. Let Hackett call his plays. And
conversely, would love to see Zach Wilson behind the Eagles line- by far the best in the league- throwing to real weapons. And obviously with a
far superior coaching staff. Wilson's confidence is probably shot. Maybe drunk Joe Namath can come out and demand they get rid of him again.
These organizations are not run by rocket scientists. They miss on players the vast majority of the time.

I know I'm in the minority. I usually am. I hope Wilson gets to prove just how talented he is. They should let him run. Design roll outs. Call more
screens to perhaps his best weapon, Hall. Stop taking Hall out so often, and there is zero reason for Carter to be the receiving back. Lots of blame
to go around here.
runner.

God bless you, but i don’t see any raw physical skills that few other QBs have. He has a strong arm, but it is only good enough to over throw guys 3 yards away and bury the ball into the ground at an amazing pace. Great runner? I haven’t seen it, in fact, last game he had a chance to run easily for a first down but dumped a quail to his TE. Wilson has little feel for the game. He holds the ball FOREVER and is consistently inaccurate. Like crazy inaccurate. No one catches the ball in stride. His game in college was standing in a pristine pocket for ages against inferior competition and winging a long ball to a now wide open receiver. No tight window throws at all. He can’t manage the clock. He can’t throw on the run. He consistently scrambles left. He has no feel for rushers. He has thrown 2 TDs in his career to Garrett Wilson, the same amount as Mike White and Joe Flacco and those guys are like retired. Lots of blame to go around, especially Hackett, who appears very good at being friends with Rodgers but not much else, but please don’t let other issues to cloud the fact that Wilson might be a decent career backup, who plays a game when there’s an emergency. However, if you think he is a starter or has room to grow, I have an awesome bridge to sell you. Douglas has my ire. Outside of his lucky draft, the others have been hideous, his signing of Cook and the Rodgers boys dreadful and not releasing Lawson damn near criminal.

All Jets' fantasy value is absolute dog poo until Zach Wilson is not under center.
Can we all just agree on that?

I dropped Garret Wilson in every league this week. There's no point in holding him.
I'll hang onto Breece Hall, because he's not so much dependent on ZW figuring it out. But he's nothing better than an RB2 until something changes (and often, can't sniff RB2).

All Jets' fantasy value is absolute dog poo until Zach Wilson is not under center.
Can we all just agree on that?

I dropped Garret Wilson in every league this week. There's no point in holding him.
I'll hang onto Breece Hall, because he's not so much dependent on ZW figuring it out. But he's nothing better than an RB2 until something changes (and often, can't sniff RB2).
Dropped Garrett Wilson? PPR? I get it, you're lucky if 70% of your targets from Zach are catchable, but he has 59 targets over the last 5 games.

there is always a chance saleh gets fired or hit by a bus and someone, anyone, realizes semien is probably better. with an average qb, g wilson is worth roostering.

If sticking with Zach Wilson doesn't get you fired, nothing will. The worst coaching decisions ever. Is there no one around him asking him what on earth he is doing? Does ownership just not care?

If sticking with Zach Wilson doesn't get you fired, nothing will. The worst coaching decisions ever. Is there no one around him asking him what on earth he is doing? Does ownership just not care?
If you are a long time Jets fan you know that Woody is involved and gives his consent to Zach. The coach, GM and owner went all in on Rodgers and it blew up. There is no one better or even competent to turn to so its just keep throwing Zach out there and pray

2 interesting posts above - I definitely think there is something to the lousy OL, limited weapons and poor playcalling - but this team was looked at as a possible super bowl contender with same - now Zach cant even score a touchdown?

I cant recall a player playing so bad getting almost a full 3 seasons. He's had more than a fair chance - he is what he is. Personally - Id rather they turn him loose and let him run and throw freely so he can at least make plays. This new model of Zach doesnt throw picks but also doesnt make any plays. Even Sanchez was allowed to make mistakes as long as he made plays. Its frustrating

runner.
Raw physical skills only get you so far playing the most cerebral position in football. Who cares if he has the strongest arm......he's definitely not accurate with it. He is mentally shot. He can't read a defense. He lacks intangibles. He's generally not well liked in the locker room. Just admit that the Jets screwed the pooch here.

The amazing thing is that every fan knew this was coming the moment Rodgers went down. The only thing the front office and the coach did was lie to the public for about nine weeks. They tried to placate through an obvious misdirect without fixing the problem.

That didn't work. Meanwhile, Josh Dobbs led Minnesota to a few wins and almost pulled one out in Denver. There were better guys out there. The front office and the owner were either just stubborn or stupid. They might have been handcuffed by Rodgers and this second year stuff.

Whatever it was, they waved the white flag on this year.

What a waste of everybody's time and energy. Good thing I didn't support it by giving them money to go watch that product in Las Vegas when I had the chance. **** on that.

They'll cut or pay someone to take him this off-season, if not sooner on the former.

It's really easy to see him serving in some backup capacity behind Purdy next season. If he's fixable that's a tremendous opportunity for him.

He stinks but also he's being scapegoated a little. Douglass hit big on some picks last year so understand why that buys him some leeway. Truly he deserved it, incredible draft last year. But his 2023 off-season was crapola, dude must have got drunk on his press clippings. The players signed to placate Rodgers/Hackett all suck, inexplicably dropping $7M on an old RB in this market when you had needs at WR and OL is just so bad. Kind of hate seeing it because the Jets have some incredibly good young players. I actually struggle to think of a team with more studs that is as bad as they are?

They'll cut or pay someone to take him this off-season, if not sooner on the former.

It's really easy to see him serving in some backup capacity behind Purdy next season. If he's fixable that's a tremendous opportunity for him.

He stinks but also he's being scapegoated a little. Douglass hit big on some picks last year so understand why that buys him some leeway. Truly he deserved it, incredible draft last year. But his 2023 off-season was crapola, dude must have got drunk on his press clippings. The players signed to placate Rodgers/Hackett all suck, inexplicably dropping $7M on an old RB in this market when you had needs at WR and OL is just so bad. Kind of hate seeing it because the Jets have some incredibly good young players. I actually struggle to think of a team with more studs that is as bad as they are?
i think douglas is done after this year. maybe saleh gets another year with a new GM after woody forces the new GM to keep him, typical woody.

to let you know how bad douglas has been, he’s had 4 drafts and 33 picks. of the 33, he’s drafted 7 OL. 1 never played due to injury, edoga was cut. 2 more are avt and becton. don’t know them? check the seasonal IR reports. max mitchell is a project and last 2 are from 2023 draft tippmann and warren. ooooof. his OL signings have been brown, lackin’ and mcgovern. some hits overall, yes, but waaaaaaay too many misses. like out of league misses.

runner.
Raw physical skills only get you so far playing the most cerebral position in football. Who cares if he has the strongest arm......he's definitely not accurate with it. He is mentally shot. He can't read a defense. He lacks intangibles. He's generally not well liked in the locker room. Just admit that the Jets screwed the pooch here.
This. History is filled with quarterbacks with everything they needed to succeed except what's between their ears (Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, etc.). Easier to look like the second coming of Patrick Mahomes going against San Diego State and North Alabama than when faced against NFL defenses. The Jets needed to redshirt him his rookie year and they didn't and he hasn't recovered. It's over for him with the Jets and if he has any hope of an NFL career it'll have to be learning as a backup in a different organization. He'll continue to bounce around the league because of his physical tools as long as his attitude isn't toxic, but it's not happening for him as the Jets' sunken cost.

But his 2023 off-season was crapola, dude must have got drunk on his press clippings

That was not really his bad judgment; that's what was needed to placate Rodgers and get him to come and commit to New York. That's on the organization as a whole for choosing to go in that direction, and I wouldn't be surprised if Woody Johnson hadn't demanded that Douglas do so.

You can question a lot of things about Douglas, but I'm just saying you can't judge him as a pure talent evaluator based upon this. HIs shrewdness as a GM comes from trades and a good draft that he had.

But his 2023 off-season was crapola, dude must have got drunk on his press clippings

That was not really his bad judgment; that's what was needed to placate Rodgers and get him to come and commit to New York. That's on the organization as a whole for choosing to go in that direction, and I wouldn't be surprised if Woody Johnson hadn't demanded that Douglas do so.

You can question a lot of things about Douglas, but I'm just saying you can't judge him as a pure talent evaluator based upon this. HIs shrewdness as a GM comes from trades and a good draft that he had.

The players signed to placate Rodgers/Hackett all suck

The amazing thing is that every fan knew this was coming the moment Rodgers went down.

It’s franchise malpractice

Wasting a precious rookie contract years of Sauce, Breece & Garrett
there are many reasons why now is the time to fire joe douglas, his drafting wilson is one of them. but the real reason is not simply him drafting wilson, but failing the franchise by not admitting or being able to recognize the mistake of drafting him.

runner.
This. History is filled with quarterbacks with everything they needed to succeed except what's between their ears (Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, etc.). Easier to look like the second coming of Patrick Mahomes going against San Diego State and North Alabama than when faced against NFL defenses. The Jets needed to redshirt him his rookie year and they didn't and he hasn't recovered. It's over for him with the Jets and if he has any hope of an NFL career it'll have to be learning as a backup in a different organization. He'll continue to bounce around the league because of his physical tools as long as his attitude isn't toxic, but it's not happening for him as the Jets' sunken cost.
this is honestly the issue.
Zach has all the tools in the toolbox. million dollar talent with a 10 cent head.
if he doesnt know how to properly use the tools he has he will never be the QB he was supposed to become. Some of this may come down to coaching and getting him up to speed and some likely is on him as well. but if the job of the QB coach or OC is to teach him and hes not learning.... one of those two need to leave the team or Zach Wilson needs to go.

runner.
Zach has all the tools in the toolbox. million dollar talent with a 10 cent head.
if he doesnt know how to properly use the tools he has he will never be the QB he was supposed to become. Some of this may come down to coaching and getting him up to speed and some likely is on him as well. but if the job of the QB coach or OC is to teach him and hes not learning.... one of those two need to leave the team or Zach Wilson needs to go.
Considering that there have been successful QBs in recent years that had alarmingly low Wonderlic scores, I question whether Wilson isn't intelligent enough to grasp a modern day NFL playbook, which has been dumbed down considerably. The Jets' offense is hardly complex. A competent coaching staff would tailor an offense to play to Wilson's strengths, as the Ravens did from the start with Lamar Jackson. The Bears haven't really tailored their offense for Fields, either, but at least they encourage him to run, which is his strength and adds an important dimension. Wilson is clearly instructed to stay in the pocket, and as a result he waits far too long to move up in the pocket, roll out, or take off running. It's a sad story, and one would think that the Jets wouldn't repeat the same mistakes they made with Darnold, whom they also ruined by not surrounding him with any talent or playing to his strengths (he too is a great runner, something we seldom saw when he was in New York). Wilson ins probably shot, unless some coach sees his potential and grooms him properly. And the Jets offensive line is one of the worst I've ever seen. There are very few QBs that could succeed behind that line.

runner.
Considering that there have been successful QBs in recent years that had alarmingly low Wonderlic scores, I question whether Wilson isn't intelligent enough to grasp a modern day NFL playbook, which has been dumbed down considerably. The Jets' offense is hardly complex. A competent coaching staff would tailor an offense to play to Wilson's strengths, as the Ravens did from the start with Lamar Jackson. The Bears haven't really tailored their offense for Fields, either, but at least they encourage him to run, which is his strength and adds an important dimension. Wilson is clearly instructed to stay in the pocket, and as a result he waits far too long to move up in the pocket, roll out, or take off running. It's a sad story, and one would think that the Jets wouldn't repeat the same mistakes they made with Darnold, whom they also ruined by not surrounding him with any talent or playing to his strengths (he too is a great runner, something we seldom saw when he was in New York). Wilson ins probably shot, unless some coach sees his potential and grooms him properly. And the Jets offensive line is one of the worst I've ever seen. There are very few QBs that could succeed behind that line.
honestly if you want to make it work with Zach Wilson you need an OC who will think outside the box.

if going with a conventional offense it wont work. you need a guy who will embrace what he does best and force defenses to adapt to him.
Taking away the best tool in his toolbox (his legs) only will hinder his ability to succeed.

honestly if you want to make it work with Zach Wilson you need an OC who will think outside the box.

if going with a conventional offense it wont work. you need a guy who will embrace what he does best and force defenses to adapt to him.
Taking away the best tool in his toolbox (his legs) only will hinder his ability to succeed.

This is two years in a row the worst *(by far, right?) offense in the league has been engineered by Nathaniel Hackett.

Denver more or less stood pat on offense other than some tweaks to the OL and adding Sean Payton as the architect.

Same QB, much better results, competent offense. That to me is as big of an indictment on Hackett as anything. He's gotta go and #8 needs to understand it's a move that has to be made.

Jets coach Robert Saleh said Zach Wilson will start in Week 14 against the Texans.
Tim Boyle got two starts over Wilson before being absurdly cut earlier this week. Trevor Siemian took Boyle’s place in the lineup during the fourth quarter of the Jets’ Week 13 loss to the Falcons. He didn’t fare any better than Boyle, so Saleh is now going back to Wilson as his team’s season circles the drain. Wilson was reportedly reluctant to retake the starting gig after being benched, but it’s hard for him to justify turning down a starting job at this point in his career. Per usual, the Jets’ offense will struggle to put up points, crippling the output of Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson versus Houston.

Too little way too late unfortunately. Can't possibly keep him in NY after everything that has happened. Both sides better off with a fresh start after the year.

Maybe a couple more performances like this encourage another team to trade SOMETHING of value for him as a reclamation project. But as a Jets fan, I'm not optimistic. This disaster certainly hasn't been all his fault(not enough weapons, bad coaching, line has fallen apart the last 2 years post AVT injuries) , but he's been so historically bad that he has to take a lot of the blame.

Obviously not a bad kid, so hope he's able to make a career of it somewhere. Guessing he'll go somewhere for a 7th/6th swap this Spring and both sides will be better for it.

Too little way too late unfortunately. Can't possibly keep him in NY after everything that has happened. Both sides better off with a fresh start after the year.

Maybe a couple more performances like this encourage another team to trade SOMETHING of value for him as a reclamation project. But as a Jets fan, I'm not optimistic. This disaster certainly hasn't been all his fault(not enough weapons, bad coaching, line has fallen apart the last 2 years post AVT injuries) , but he's been so historically bad that he has to take a lot of the blame.

Obviously not a bad kid, so hope he's able to make a career of it somewhere. Guessing he'll go somewhere for a 7th/6th swap this Spring and both sides will be better for it.
100%

He needs a fresh start and the Jets need to move on. Wilson was incredibly immature and arrogant when he came into the league, but being around a guy like Aaron Rodgers even for a little while can't hurt. I hope he gets a second chance.

Users who are viewing this thread