What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

Well Gru is the marathon man. I mean you could have asked the crack dealer on the corner if you should spend your doe on drugs or put it in your retirement account.
I ran my first BQ when I was confident coming off a good half marathon and decided somewhat spur of the moment to run the full marathon a few weeks later. I'm just saying.... :hifive:

Well Gru is the marathon man. I mean you could have asked the crack dealer on the corner if you should spend your doe on drugs or put it in your retirement account.
I ran my first BQ when I was confident coming off a good half marathon and decided somewhat spur of the moment to run the full marathon a few weeks later. I'm just saying.... :shrug:
Welcome home!
Thanks, bro. Seriously, I had an absolute blast out there. For those of you who are my Facebook friends, take a look at the pictures I posted last night, you'll see what I mean. Of all the things that I love about running, I think what I love best is all the awesome friends I've made (present company included). Already looking forward to seeing everybody again this fall in Chicago.The race itself was awesome. As you guys know, I ran 3:09:48, which was a course PR by almost 33 minutes. I finished #2540 out of more than 22,000 finishers, so it definitely feels good to say that I finished in the top 11-12% of the best runners in the world. Lots of catching up to do, and I'll try to post more details later, but I just wanted say thanks again for all the support and kind words. Again, you guys are the best.

Good to see you, Grue!

Turned in a kind of eh tempo run this morning, going hard for 20 minutes sandwiched by a 10-minute warm-up and 5-minute cool down. Thought I was really moving for those 20 minutes but found I ended up averaging 7:22 pace for that time. Not that bad for me, except that on Saturday I averaged 7:20 for a full 4-mile pace run (was shooting for 7:30 and did a little better).

Need to continue to HTFU on my speedwork.

Yesterday I attempted some speedwork.....completely failed. :thumbdown:

My quads were still sore form Sunday's 12 miler but I figured that after a warm-up they would feel better. Didn't happen. Only managed to do my warmup mile, then do two, 1200 repeats at 6:54. I was just spent...so I stopped. Did a total of 3 miles. I'm pretty bummed because I haven't bonked a workout for over a year.

Brightside: My 1/2 is still 3.5 weeks away...so this week will be a good time to scale back a bit, still do some runs (run 7 slow this afternoon and have an 8K race on Sat), but let let the body re-energize and be ready for the next two weeks of training. :football:

Great to see Gru back in here! I'm also :) for his race report.

Wraith: It's your call whether to marathon or not. IF it's an experience you really want go for it. If you are treating as a training run, I'd recommend skipping it, as it most likely won't help you reach any goals other than finishing another marathon.

Keggers: some of our most important workouts are the ones that we realize we need to throttle it back a bit. Not all runs can or should be quality.

BnB: :lmao:

Tri-Man: Solid 50 miler. I'd love you to post your planned training and race goals, as I'll be attempting a HIM in the Fall, and will need all the advice I can get.

Also; I can't remember who posted a desire for new headphones, but I just ordered these based on a recommendation from another thread in the FFA. If you order them in Maroon you can get them for $29.99 right now.

My Update:

I copied Wraith's workout this morning with very similar results :hifive:

One mile warm-up

1 mile @ 6:49

.5 recovery

1 mile @ 6:51 (included being run off the road by a car :angry:

.5 recovery

1 mile @ 6:44

One mile cool-down

Legs felt great when finished, but I desperately need my new shoes to get in, as the soles of my old shoes are worn to the point I'm not confident in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wraith - OK, so maybe you should go out this weekend for a 20-22 miler. Use that to decide on the marathon. You would have a good time running with gruecd. You'll probably get some deja vu, having run that first trail run last summer with me chattering during the first half. Now you'll have gruecd running at (for him) a modest pace ...

Wraith - OK, so maybe you should go out this weekend for a 20-22 miler. Use that to decide on the marathon. You would have a good time running with gruecd. You'll probably get some deja vu, having run that first trail run last summer with me chattering during the first half. Now you'll have gruecd running at (for him) a modest pace ...
That's exactly the plan I came up with last night with gruecd. :thumbup: UNFORTUNATELY, I'm an idiot (and a finalist for "Father of the Year"): My son turns 5 on May 17th, and we're having family over for a celebration on Sunday the 16th. How I didn't realize that before I opened my mouth, I'll never know (Thank God I didn't say anything about running a race to my wife before I realized my error). So I can't even do Rockford in time to be back home (let alone be functional for the party). Guess that means if I want to run a race with gruecd, I'm going to have to invest in a rocket pack. At least we'll see each other for 2 races this summer. That also means I stick with the race plan for the summer.

:goodposting:

Did my 45 minutes on the bike this morning, higher cadence (84 ave) but the same overall speed as my other efforts (SLOW).

pigskinliquors said:
My Update:I copied Wraith's workout this morning with very similar results :goodposting:One mile warm-up1 mile @ 6:49.5 recovery1 mile @ 6:51 (included being run off the road by a car :angry: .5 recovery 1 mile @ 6:44One mile cool-downLegs felt great when finished, but I desperately need my new shoes to get in, as the soles of my old shoes are worn to the point I'm not confident in them.
:thumbup: Nice job!

Keggers said:
Yesterday I attempted some speedwork.....completely failed. :goodposting: My quads were still sore form Sunday's 12 miler but I figured that after a warm-up they would feel better. Didn't happen. Only managed to do my warmup mile, then do two, 1200 repeats at 6:54. I was just spent...so I stopped. Did a total of 3 miles. I'm pretty bummed because I haven't bonked a workout for over a year.Brightside: My 1/2 is still 3.5 weeks away...so this week will be a good time to scale back a bit, still do some runs (run 7 slow this afternoon and have an 8K race on Sat), but let let the body re-energize and be ready for the next two weeks of training. :thumbup:
like PSL said, they can't all be great workouts. It was just over a week ago that I was frustrated by 3 sub-par runs in a row, and since then I've fired off some of my best training runs ever. Don't sweat it!!

Wow. Three FBG friend requests on Facebook this morning. I feel popular....
We're all jumping on the bandwagon. Which we will then expect you to pull at a 7:00 pace for 26.2 miles.Don't be like Wraith and blow off my friend request. I couldn't stand another rejection.

We're all jumping on the bandwagon. Which we will then expect you to pull at a 7:00 pace for 26.2 miles.Don't be like Wraith and blow off my friend request. I couldn't stand another rejection.
Whoa whoa whoa!!!!

Dude - I didn't realize that was YOU.

I just sent you a request (at least, I'm pretty sure I sent it to you...) along with my humble apologies.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!!

I just sent you a request (at least, I'm pretty sure I sent it to you...) along with my humble apologies.
It's all good -- I figured that's what had happened and hadn't gotten around to writing you back. Besides, my name sounds like it's an alias (although Jim is better than John). Airlines, restaurant reservationists, and random Internet strangers are always suspicious.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!!

It's all good -- I figured that's what had happened and hadn't gotten around to writing you back. Besides, my name sounds like it's an alias (although Jim is better than John). Airlines, restaurant reservationists, and random Internet strangers are always suspicious.
I happened to get your request at the same time I suddenly became very popular with Russian 20-something women and I figured you were their pimp.

Just to add my .02. Wraith, I think you will be better off not doing the marathon and sticking with you plan. You would hate to get a nagging foot injury because you did the marathon that would screw up the rest of your plan. If it was a pop up half or 10K then I would say go for it, but a marathon is in a completely different class of it's own in regards to body torture.

---------------------

Update for me, I skipped my run yesterday, but did it (6 miles) this morning and will do another slow 4 this afternoon. The 6 miles was a bit of a different run for me as mile 3 was a marathon pace mile just for kicks. My training plan had me do this just to get used to changing speeds mid pack so it was different. It really did not effect me all that much and hopefully it will all pay off in the end. I am feeling great and hopefully it stays that way.

What kind of speed laces do you guys use? I found a couple more pairs of my running shoes online and figure I should get some speed laces for the tri while I'm at it...

ETA: They have "Lock Laces" and "Yankz" on the site.

Quick comment about something that pisses me off, but probably shouldn't. I was trying extremely hard to run my first and second intervals right at 6:49 this morning (trying to be consistent). My Garmin said 6:49 right up until the time it dinged for the first interval, then popped up 6:50. I then tried to run exactly 6:50 for the second, and the exact same thing happened = stated 6:51. Why does my Garmin lie to me like that? You'd think it might try to reduce our expectations than at least meet or exceed them :goodposting:

Quick comment about something that pisses me off, but probably shouldn't. I was trying extremely hard to run my first and second intervals right at 6:49 this morning (trying to be consistent). My Garmin said 6:49 right up until the time it dinged for the first interval, then popped up 6:50. I then tried to run exactly 6:50 for the second, and the exact same thing happened = stated 6:51. Why does my Garmin lie to me like that? You'd think it might try to reduce our expectations than at least meet or exceed them :thumbup:
Maybe you're just slowing down... What bugs me about my Garmin is how long it takes to lock onto the satelites on some mornings. I'm standing there ready to go and it's searching the heavens for satelites that are probably right where they were yesterday. :stalker:

Quick comment about something that pisses me off, but probably shouldn't. I was trying extremely hard to run my first and second intervals right at 6:49 this morning (trying to be consistent). My Garmin said 6:49 right up until the time it dinged for the first interval, then popped up 6:50. I then tried to run exactly 6:50 for the second, and the exact same thing happened = stated 6:51. Why does my Garmin lie to me like that? You'd think it might try to reduce our expectations than at least meet or exceed them :blackdot:
Maybe you're just slowing down... What bugs me about my Garmin is how long it takes to lock onto the satelites on some mornings. I'm standing there ready to go and it's searching the heavens for satelites that are probably right where they were yesterday. :fishing:
Take the Garmin in with you the night before, place by windowsill, and turn it on when you wake up. It will find the satellites for you (if your window is clear to the skies). Then, grab it and hurry outside w/ it and you should be good to go.

Quick comment about something that pisses me off, but probably shouldn't. I was trying extremely hard to run my first and second intervals right at 6:49 this morning (trying to be consistent). My Garmin said 6:49 right up until the time it dinged for the first interval, then popped up 6:50. I then tried to run exactly 6:50 for the second, and the exact same thing happened = stated 6:51. Why does my Garmin lie to me like that? You'd think it might try to reduce our expectations than at least meet or exceed them :blackdot:
Maybe you're just slowing down... What bugs me about my Garmin is how long it takes to lock onto the satelites on some mornings. I'm standing there ready to go and it's searching the heavens for satelites that are probably right where they were yesterday. :fishing:
Pro Tip: Don't turn it on until you get outside.

What bugs me about my Garmin is how long it takes to lock onto the satelites on some mornings. I'm standing there ready to go and it's searching the heavens for satelites that are probably right where they were yesterday.
Mine does the same thing. Some days it locks on in just a few seconds, while on other days it can easily take a full two minutes.

Just 9 days until my Garminday, er, birthday. Can't wait!

So get ready for another round of newbie questions from me.

Nowhere near what the rest of you guys are doing right now, but started my 2nd full week of marathon training this week.

Weeks 1 & 2: M - stretch/srengthen (I'm doing yoga for the first time in my life); Tues - 3; Wed - 2; Thurs - 3 (followed by strength training); Fri - rest; Sat - cross train; Sun -4. The mileage, obviously, is going to increase as the weeks go by.

The mileage is really low, but I was beat at the end of last week (Thursdays whoop my ### and make me feel like a big vag). Just plugging along at an easy pace (no speed work). I find myself getting impatient and wanting to get better times. I know that I just need to put in the miles and not worry about the time, but I have a goal in mind of finishing my first marathon in under 4 hours. Maybe that's too ambitious.

At any rate, I am liking the regular schedule and just getting out and running.

Nowhere near what the rest of you guys are doing right now, but started my 2nd full week of marathon training this week.

Weeks 1 & 2: M - stretch/srengthen (I'm doing yoga for the first time in my life); Tues - 3; Wed - 2; Thurs - 3 (followed by strength training); Fri - rest; Sat - cross train; Sun -4. The mileage, obviously, is going to increase as the weeks go by.

The mileage is really low, but I was beat at the end of last week (Thursdays whoop my ### and make me feel like a big vag). Just plugging along at an easy pace (no speed work). I find myself getting impatient and wanting to get better times. I know that I just need to put in the miles and not worry about the time, but I have a goal in mind of finishing my first marathon in under 4 hours. Maybe that's too ambitious.

At any rate, I am liking the regular schedule and just getting out and running.
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." Great job so far - don't get frustrated or impatient. Follow the program and you'll get there.

What race are you targeting?

What kind of speed laces do you guys use? I found a couple more pairs of my running shoes online and figure I should get some speed laces for the tri while I'm at it... ETA: They have "Lock Laces" and "Yankz" on the site.
Lock Laces it is!! Gruecd - thanks for the indirect referral to RunningWarehouse - I got 2 more pairs of my Brooks even cheaper than the ones I got on RoadRunner!! (and a free Brooks tech shirt!) ;)

What bugs me about my Garmin is how long it takes to lock onto the satelites on some mornings. I'm standing there ready to go and it's searching the heavens for satelites that are probably right where they were yesterday.
Mine does the same thing. Some days it locks on in just a few seconds, while on other days it can easily take a full two minutes.
Ditto the Suunoto. The instanteous pace is crap too. It's all over the map. Only reason I went with it over the Garmin is that I can use it as an everyday watch.

Ditto the Suunoto. The instanteous pace is crap too. It's all over the map. Only reason I went with it over the Garmin is that I can use it as an everyday watch.
I don't even try to use the instant pace on my 305 - I use the lap pace ave. so I know where I am relative to my target pace overall, even if I don't know my speed at that moment.

pigskinliquors said:
Tri-Man: Solid 50 miler. I'd love you to post your planned training and race goals, as I'll be attempting a HIM in the Fall, and will need all the advice I can get.
1/2-IM PR=5:55. Goal: 5:35. In the small race that I'll be doing, I believe this gets me 'on the podium.' Breakdown:Swim + T1: 45 minutes. This roughly equates to pool times of 1:00/lap.

Bike + T2: 3 hours. This is approximately 19 mph for the 56 miles. The course has two dozen hills, which caught me by surprise last year, so I've tried to build more strength and to prepare better. I bonked with inadequate training and last year's 100 degree heat index (DNF - no run). Better riders with proper bikes can average 21 mph or more.

Run: 1:50. Approximately 8:25/mile. This is where I can make up the bike time.

Training comments:

While I have a few race-specific training schedules, it's hard to stay right on them as life tends to get in the way.

Swim focus - Most workouts are 60 minutes or more, some with pure distance, others at shorter sets to build some speed. I also get in a few open water swims, which are very comfortable to me, but I need to do better with sighting.

Bike focus - My weakest area (skill, and equipment). My new timing gadget is helping me focus on better quality workouts. Here again, some pure distance rides on an 8 mile trail loop (so uninterrupted), some extended (4 hour'ish) rides just to be in the saddle for that long, and a number of urban training loops (2 mile city circuit) where I can focus on 'basswattage' - building more power with accelerations, short stretches at high resistance, and out-of-the-saddle riding.

Run focus - for this race, primarily adding in several bricks, especially running after some longer rides. This helps (a) acclimate to running when the mind says 'stop,' and (b) controlling my pace, which is often too fast after the quick leg rotation of the bike.

Fundamentally, it's all similar to the FIRST concept of long sets, tempo training, and intervals. I try to average 2 swims a week (2 hours+), 3-4 bikes (4 1/2-5 hours), and 2-3 runs (20-30 miles). That means doubling up a couple days a week, and then adding a yoga session and one or two strength sessions.

It's a matter of getting in quality workouts, with a focus for each one. Only a couple sessions each week are real 'breakout' sessions that really push limits. I try to back off a bit one week per month. I try to eat well, drink just a little, and get my sleep. Hope that helps.

Best of luck with the 1/2, tm! Living vicariously through you...

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

2 Members: El Floppo, gruecd

:goodposting:

:shock:

Great to see Gru back in here! I'm also :lmao: for his race report.
With no further ado:2010 Boston Marthon race report:

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect going into this race. On the one hand, I was coming off a PR performance (3:06) this past fall in Chicago, and this last training cycle had actually gone pretty well, too. On the other hand, the first and only other time I'd run Boston in 2008, I crashed and burned. I was obviously a lot better prepared for this race, but nevertheless, I had some self-doubt. Coming from the flatlands of northeast Wisconsin, I didn't think a PR was realistic, but despite the fact that I already had my BQ for 2011, I did think that it would be pretty cool to qualify for Boston at Boston, so that's what I set as my unofficial goal.

Fast forward to race day. Up around 5:00, in line for the buses to Hopkinton by 6:00, and at the Athlete's Village by 7:00. Hung out for a while with my RWOL peeps, then headed down Grove Street with John and Ashley a little after 9:00. The lines for the porta-potties were wicked long, so I utilized the empty Gatorade bottle trick before heading to the start corrals. I was qualified to start in Corral 3, but since I wanted to avoid getting sucked out and starting too quickly, and since it was Ashley's goal to run 3:10 and "qualify like a man" anyway, I decided to move back and start with her in Corral 6. We ran into our friend Alice in the Corral, at which point some random dude dubbed them the "Double-A" girls, which prompted much laughter. The gun sounded at 10:00, and a little over four minutes later we crossed the start line.

The one thing I learned from 2008 was that Boston is a "thinking man's course" unlike any other, meaning that it's really important to run a smart, tactical race. With that in mind, I'd chosen to wear Greg Maclin's terrain-adjusted 3:10 pace band from MyMarathonPace.com. Ashley, Alice, and I made a point to follow the pace band, but we seemed to hit each mile a few seconds early, and by the time we reached the halfway mark, we'd built ourselves a 65-second cushion, reaching 13.1 in 1:33:35 (7:09 pace). This is where experience paid off. I probably could've run that first half sub-1:30, which would've sealed my fate later. Shortly thereafter, Ashley and I both commented on how our hip flexors were getting tight, and my quads were getting sore. In an effort to loosen things up, I really opened it up on the downhill out of Wellesley; it worked, but Alice and I lost Ashley in the process.

Legs actually felt really good going over the I-95 overpass through Hell's Alley and then making the right-hand turn onto Commonwealth, and we actually held pace pretty well, hitting 30K in 2:13:31 (7:10 pace). Fought our way through the rest of the Newton hills and up Heartbreak, slowing a little bit as planned and hitting 35K in 2:36:24 (still about 60 seconds ahead of plan). While the hills were still hard, I've gotta say that it was night-and-day vs. 2008. I don't know if it's just the overall mileage that I've accumulated, or if it was the better strategy or maybe some of both, but I'll just say that I no longer fear those hills. The fans were excellent the whole way, but they were effin' unbelievable at BC and really the rest of the way home.

Somewhere around mile 22-23, I could tell that Alice was really itching to go, so I sent her on her way. I was getting kinda tired, but the fans kept me going, and I hit 40K at 2:59:40, still 20 seconds ahead of plan. All of a sudden, I started hearing people yelling, "Go Ashley! Go Ashley!" I turned around, and there she was right behind me, and she actually passed me going into the Mass Ave underpass. We made the right onto Hereford, and I made a point to run the tangent anticipating the left-hand turn onto Boylston. I caught up to Ashley, who was slowing, and told her to finish strong with me. I kicked, and I crossed the line at 3:09:48, exactly 12 seconds ahead of my goal. Ashley finished two seconds behind me at 3:09:50, and Alice actually finished almost 30 seconds ahead of me in 3:09:20. Got my medal, my food, and my gear bag, and hobbled to Cuff's to get it started with the after-party.

Overall, I'd say I definitely conquered my fear of Boston. The hills are definitely tough, but I'm not afraid of them anymore. For me, I think I might even place Monday's 3:09 ahead of my 3:06 PR race last fall on my list of accomplishments. The biggest thing I've learned is that for me at least, it's not so much about any one training cycle, but rather the cumulative effect of multiple successful cycles stacked on top of each other. Looking ahead, can't wait for Chicago. I've got a goal in mind, but that's between me and me. As my buddy "the other Chad" told me, it's all about managing expectations.

Gruecd - you da man. You ran a great race. I am anxiously waiting the day when I learn to pace like you. I feel I am getting there, but I am not sure I can do it for a whole race yet. I agree with you on the training and cumulative effort. I think that over time you adapt and your body learns what you are putting it through. For me, with this cycle of training, I have not been as tired or worn out as in the past, but I have put in more intense training and more miles than ever before. Great race for you and I am taking notes. For the Pig, most of the hills are at the beginning, so I have to be sure that I don't burn up the legs and die at the end. Hopefully I can get through the hills at a reasonable pace and pick things up on the down hill. Only time will tell and I am thinking it is going to be a fun day.

Congrats again and your planning is quite impressive. I am thinking that you could probably do sub-3 easily at Chi-town, but that is just me.

Awesome stuff, Grue. Well done.

I'm itching to join you in Boston in the next year or two.

My goal is to run NYC this fall somewhere between 3:35-3:40, run a spring 2011 marathon in under 3:30 and qualify for Boston 2012 or 2013.

Awesome write up grue. I have said it before and I will say it again. My absolutely favorite thing about this sport is that people, and there are several in this thread, who are so good will take time to help people like me that are struggling to run a 5k in under 10 mm.

I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :goodposting:

Seriously though you guys are pretty awesome.

* I have been discouraged by my progress. I just dont seem to get any faster. I saw how fast Wraith got in a year. I am very happy for Wraith but I have been doing this for approximately the same amount of time and he is light years ahead of me. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I changed my garmin to now beep at me if I fall under 9:30 mm. Previously it was at 10:00. Hopefully that will help.

Grue: GREAT write-up, and congrat's on conquering Boston. You now own its ###!

Tri-Man: Thanks a ton for the synopsis of your training plan and philosophy. Are you going to add any swim/bike bricks or double bricks, and what distances are you targeting for each of your bricks?

Wraith: Lock-Laces are superior. Yanks suck!

re: Garmin; I use current pace as an indicator, but always have lap pace in the upper right quadrant as it's my most important data. I'm also starting to have difficulty getting it to charge, and have read that using an eraser to clean the contact points. It has helped a bit, but it's not as easy to get it to start charging as I'd like.

My Update:

I'm still in limbo stage of training as I have nothing specific right now to train for. I got a nice 15 mile bike ride in this morning which included 5x 1 mile intervals with 1 minute breaks between each. I'll likely choose an Olympic tri soon, as I'll want at least one in prior to attempting my HIM in the Fall. I have a crazy travel schedule coming up, so my training will be light and sporadic for the next few weeks. I'm heading to Seoul all of next week and can't wait to do some trail runs with major elevation.

Users who are viewing this thread