What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (6 Viewers)

Great race report Gru! It was fun to track you and I actually caught myself talking to myself. At just about every update I said something. At the 40K is was saying, "Come on, come on!" Literally, saying it out loud...no one else in the room.

Awesome write up grue. I have said it before and I will say it again. My absolutely favorite thing about this sport is that people, and there are several in this thread, who are so good will take time to help people like me that are struggling to run a 5k in under 10 mm.I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :thumbup:Seriously though you guys are pretty awesome.* I have been discouraged by my progress. I just dont seem to get any faster. I saw how fast Wraith got in a year. I am very happy for Wraith but I have been doing this for approximately the same amount of time and he is light years ahead of me. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I changed my garmin to now beep at me if I fall under 9:30 mm. Previously it was at 10:00. Hopefully that will help.
I'm sure 100 people have pointed it out, but you don't build speed grinding miles you build speed on a track. Find one. Target PRs in the 400m first. 80,75,70...

I repeat:

:)
I echo: :bow: :bow: :bow:

The steady pacing was incredibly impressive, Chad. What an accomplishment! I was watching some of the replay last night, so it was cool to read about the I-95 overpass and the Newton Hills, now that I've seen them briefly on tv.

Prosopis - it'll come, just keep plugging away. Are you doing any lunges or squats, which help build the legs and get the hips used to a bigger movement? And yeah, some shorter interval work is helpful, too.

Liquors - I'll try to get in a swim/bike brick or two, particularly when I get out to our cottage (with lake swimming and open country roads). I'll often throw in a mini-tri (double brick) as well. The brick lengths vary a lot and are dictated more by available time than a hard plan. One recent brick featured an 8 mile run, which gets me into 'endurance' mode.

Had a great workout Tuesday....

1 hour interval class with the power set at 300 W. Intervals included 4 min x 110%, 3 min x 100%, 4 min x 105%, and 2 min x 115% all in aero. Next was a 10 min power set @ 60 rpm ranging from 70% to 115% and back down in 2 min increments. Moved on to 1/2 mile sprints started from a standstill in the biggest gear. We did four of these, 2 normal and 2 single legged. Best result was a 553 watt output for one minute and 5 seconds. Freaking like yaking after that one.

One to a 1/2 hour core workout.

Back onto the bike four the first four interval sets above. I cracked and had to do the third set at 250 watts. After the fourth with totally fired legs I immediately hit a one mile run. Back to the studio for five more 1/2 mile sprints on the bike. Managed a one minute power output in the 530's on one of the sprints.

Legs and back are still cooked from this workout. Did a 3 mile recovery run last nite at 11 min pace.

Great to see Gru back in here! I'm also :shrug: for his race report.
With no further ado:2010 Boston Marthon race report:

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect going into this race. On the one hand, I was coming off a PR performance (3:06) this past fall in Chicago, and this last training cycle had actually gone pretty well, too. On the other hand, the first and only other time I'd run Boston in 2008, I crashed and burned. I was obviously a lot better prepared for this race, but nevertheless, I had some self-doubt. Coming from the flatlands of northeast Wisconsin, I didn't think a PR was realistic, but despite the fact that I already had my BQ for 2011, I did think that it would be pretty cool to qualify for Boston at Boston, so that's what I set as my unofficial goal.

Fast forward to race day. Up around 5:00, in line for the buses to Hopkinton by 6:00, and at the Athlete's Village by 7:00. Hung out for a while with my RWOL peeps, then headed down Grove Street with John and Ashley a little after 9:00. The lines for the porta-potties were wicked long, so I utilized the empty Gatorade bottle trick before heading to the start corrals. I was qualified to start in Corral 3, but since I wanted to avoid getting sucked out and starting too quickly, and since it was Ashley's goal to run 3:10 and "qualify like a man" anyway, I decided to move back and start with her in Corral 6. We ran into our friend Alice in the Corral, at which point some random dude dubbed them the "Double-A" girls, which prompted much laughter. The gun sounded at 10:00, and a little over four minutes later we crossed the start line.

The one thing I learned from 2008 was that Boston is a "thinking man's course" unlike any other, meaning that it's really important to run a smart, tactical race. With that in mind, I'd chosen to wear Greg Maclin's terrain-adjusted 3:10 pace band from MyMarathonPace.com. Ashley, Alice, and I made a point to follow the pace band, but we seemed to hit each mile a few seconds early, and by the time we reached the halfway mark, we'd built ourselves a 65-second cushion, reaching 13.1 in 1:33:35 (7:09 pace). This is where experience paid off. I probably could've run that first half sub-1:30, which would've sealed my fate later. Shortly thereafter, Ashley and I both commented on how our hip flexors were getting tight, and my quads were getting sore. In an effort to loosen things up, I really opened it up on the downhill out of Wellesley; it worked, but Alice and I lost Ashley in the process.

Legs actually felt really good going over the I-95 overpass through Hell's Alley and then making the right-hand turn onto Commonwealth, and we actually held pace pretty well, hitting 30K in 2:13:31 (7:10 pace). Fought our way through the rest of the Newton hills and up Heartbreak, slowing a little bit as planned and hitting 35K in 2:36:24 (still about 60 seconds ahead of plan). While the hills were still hard, I've gotta say that it was night-and-day vs. 2008. I don't know if it's just the overall mileage that I've accumulated, or if it was the better strategy or maybe some of both, but I'll just say that I no longer fear those hills. The fans were excellent the whole way, but they were effin' unbelievable at BC and really the rest of the way home.

Somewhere around mile 22-23, I could tell that Alice was really itching to go, so I sent her on her way. I was getting kinda tired, but the fans kept me going, and I hit 40K at 2:59:40, still 20 seconds ahead of plan. All of a sudden, I started hearing people yelling, "Go Ashley! Go Ashley!" I turned around, and there she was right behind me, and she actually passed me going into the Mass Ave underpass. We made the right onto Hereford, and I made a point to run the tangent anticipating the left-hand turn onto Boylston. I caught up to Ashley, who was slowing, and told her to finish strong with me. I kicked, and I crossed the line at 3:09:48, exactly 12 seconds ahead of my goal. Ashley finished two seconds behind me at 3:09:50, and Alice actually finished almost 30 seconds ahead of me in 3:09:20. Got my medal, my food, and my gear bag, and hobbled to Cuff's to get it started with the after-party.

Overall, I'd say I definitely conquered my fear of Boston. The hills are definitely tough, but I'm not afraid of them anymore. For me, I think I might even place Monday's 3:09 ahead of my 3:06 PR race last fall on my list of accomplishments. The biggest thing I've learned is that for me at least, it's not so much about any one training cycle, but rather the cumulative effect of multiple successful cycles stacked on top of each other. Looking ahead, can't wait for Chicago. I've got a goal in mind, but that's between me and me. As my buddy "the other Chad" told me, it's all about managing expectations.
Again Congrats Gru! Sounds like you planned your work and worked your plan. I always love a successful race report.

Great to see Gru back in here! I'm also :thumbup: for his race report.
With no further ado:2010 Boston Marthon race report:

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect going into this race. On the one hand, I was coming off a PR performance (3:06) this past fall in Chicago, and this last training cycle had actually gone pretty well, too. On the other hand, the first and only other time I'd run Boston in 2008, I crashed and burned. I was obviously a lot better prepared for this race, but nevertheless, I had some self-doubt. Coming from the flatlands of northeast Wisconsin, I didn't think a PR was realistic, but despite the fact that I already had my BQ for 2011, I did think that it would be pretty cool to qualify for Boston at Boston, so that's what I set as my unofficial goal.

Fast forward to race day. Up around 5:00, in line for the buses to Hopkinton by 6:00, and at the Athlete's Village by 7:00. Hung out for a while with my RWOL peeps, then headed down Grove Street with John and Ashley a little after 9:00. The lines for the porta-potties were wicked long, so I utilized the empty Gatorade bottle trick before heading to the start corrals. I was qualified to start in Corral 3, but since I wanted to avoid getting sucked out and starting too quickly, and since it was Ashley's goal to run 3:10 and "qualify like a man" anyway, I decided to move back and start with her in Corral 6. We ran into our friend Alice in the Corral, at which point some random dude dubbed them the "Double-A" girls, which prompted much laughter. The gun sounded at 10:00, and a little over four minutes later we crossed the start line.

The one thing I learned from 2008 was that Boston is a "thinking man's course" unlike any other, meaning that it's really important to run a smart, tactical race. With that in mind, I'd chosen to wear Greg Maclin's terrain-adjusted 3:10 pace band from MyMarathonPace.com. Ashley, Alice, and I made a point to follow the pace band, but we seemed to hit each mile a few seconds early, and by the time we reached the halfway mark, we'd built ourselves a 65-second cushion, reaching 13.1 in 1:33:35 (7:09 pace). This is where experience paid off. I probably could've run that first half sub-1:30, which would've sealed my fate later. Shortly thereafter, Ashley and I both commented on how our hip flexors were getting tight, and my quads were getting sore. In an effort to loosen things up, I really opened it up on the downhill out of Wellesley; it worked, but Alice and I lost Ashley in the process.

Legs actually felt really good going over the I-95 overpass through Hell's Alley and then making the right-hand turn onto Commonwealth, and we actually held pace pretty well, hitting 30K in 2:13:31 (7:10 pace). Fought our way through the rest of the Newton hills and up Heartbreak, slowing a little bit as planned and hitting 35K in 2:36:24 (still about 60 seconds ahead of plan). While the hills were still hard, I've gotta say that it was night-and-day vs. 2008. I don't know if it's just the overall mileage that I've accumulated, or if it was the better strategy or maybe some of both, but I'll just say that I no longer fear those hills. The fans were excellent the whole way, but they were effin' unbelievable at BC and really the rest of the way home.

Somewhere around mile 22-23, I could tell that Alice was really itching to go, so I sent her on her way. I was getting kinda tired, but the fans kept me going, and I hit 40K at 2:59:40, still 20 seconds ahead of plan. All of a sudden, I started hearing people yelling, "Go Ashley! Go Ashley!" I turned around, and there she was right behind me, and she actually passed me going into the Mass Ave underpass. We made the right onto Hereford, and I made a point to run the tangent anticipating the left-hand turn onto Boylston. I caught up to Ashley, who was slowing, and told her to finish strong with me. I kicked, and I crossed the line at 3:09:48, exactly 12 seconds ahead of my goal. Ashley finished two seconds behind me at 3:09:50, and Alice actually finished almost 30 seconds ahead of me in 3:09:20. Got my medal, my food, and my gear bag, and hobbled to Cuff's to get it started with the after-party.

Overall, I'd say I definitely conquered my fear of Boston. The hills are definitely tough, but I'm not afraid of them anymore. For me, I think I might even place Monday's 3:09 ahead of my 3:06 PR race last fall on my list of accomplishments. The biggest thing I've learned is that for me at least, it's not so much about any one training cycle, but rather the cumulative effect of multiple successful cycles stacked on top of each other. Looking ahead, can't wait for Chicago. I've got a goal in mind, but that's between me and me. As my buddy "the other Chad" told me, it's all about managing expectations.
Great read GRUEZILLA !

Awesome write up grue. I have said it before and I will say it again. My absolutely favorite thing about this sport is that people, and there are several in this thread, who are so good will take time to help people like me that are struggling to run a 5k in under 10 mm.I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :lmao:Seriously though you guys are pretty awesome.* I have been discouraged by my progress. I just dont seem to get any faster. I saw how fast Wraith got in a year. I am very happy for Wraith but I have been doing this for approximately the same amount of time and he is light years ahead of me. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I changed my garmin to now beep at me if I fall under 9:30 mm. Previously it was at 10:00. Hopefully that will help.
If it makes you feel any better, I seem to have a very limited ability to gain speed. After training hard for six weeks to improve my 5K time, I managed to get down from 23:30 to 22:10, but that's still pretty damn slow. And after training hard for almost three months to improve my half mary time, I dropped from 1:53 to 1:48 -- again, not much improvement. I'm totally fine with this. I wasn't blessed with natural athletic ability and I definitely wasn't blessed with speed, but this isn't something I do competitively, and I get a lot of satisfaction from running long, which anybody can do with a little work.

If it makes you feel any better, I seem to have a very limited ability to gain speed. After training hard for six weeks to improve my 5K time, I managed to get down from 23:30 to 22:10, but that's still pretty damn slow. And after training hard for almost three months to improve my half mary time, I dropped from 1:53 to 1:48 -- again, not much improvement. I'm totally fine with this. I wasn't blessed with natural athletic ability and I definitely wasn't blessed with speed, but this isn't something I do competitively, and I get a lot of satisfaction from running long, which anybody can do with a little work.
I would regard these are fairly substantial time drops. And :lmao: at 22:10 being slow. Prosposis, how many miles per week are you getting in consistently?

Awesome write up grue. I have said it before and I will say it again. My absolutely favorite thing about this sport is that people, and there are several in this thread, who are so good will take time to help people like me that are struggling to run a 5k in under 10 mm.

I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :bag:

Seriously though you guys are pretty awesome.

* I have been discouraged by my progress. I just dont seem to get any faster. I saw how fast Wraith got in a year. I am very happy for Wraith but I have been doing this for approximately the same amount of time and he is light years ahead of me. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I changed my garmin to now beep at me if I fall under 9:30 mm. Previously it was at 10:00. Hopefully that will help.
I'm sure 100 people have pointed it out, but you don't build speed grinding miles you build speed on a track. Find one. Target PRs in the 400m first. 80,75,70...
I dont know what this means.

I would regard these are fairly substantial time drops. And :lmao: at 22:10 being slow. Prosposis, how many miles per week are you getting in consistently?
:bag: 22:10 slow?27:00 is the best I have ever done.I average 20 miles a week. generally 3-5 miles 5-6 days a week.edit to add that on avg 7 of those miles are on the elyptical.

Last edited by a moderator:
:coffee: 22:10 slow?27:00 is the best I have ever done.I average 20 miles a week. generally 3-5 miles 5-6 days a week.edit to add that on avg 7 of those miles are on the elyptical.
When I first started I got faster with every 5K. Starting at 29:58 and topping out at 23:40. Now though I am dog slow. Whatever you do, don't stop it is very hard to get it back again. It really doesn't help if you keep aging. My advice is to stop the aging process. I wish I had thought of it sooner. Actually my problem is I spent my 20's and 30's eating McDonald's three times a day. I really wish I could go back in time and tell my much younger, much stupider self what to do. Any way, to get a bit of speed try doing one run a week as intervals. These worked for me.Start out with a very easy mile.Do the next 1/4 to 1/2 mile at 5K-30 speed. Slow down for 1/4-1/2, maybe first mile speed.Rinse, repeat. Make another run during the week a tempo run. Easy 1st mile, run like hell until there is a mile to go, slow down for last mile.The real runners here will do their intervals during the long runs. I could never do that, just surviving the long runs is enough for me. My update. Because of issues that sound a lot like excuses now, I did my first run, 3.5, in a week. IT was 84 degrees out, yet felt like I was running on the surface of the sun. 6 miles on Saturday, 3.5 on Sunday.Nest week, one of my after work weekday runs will be 5 miles, I hope. My future.I really want to run a marathon one day. Shooting for January's Disney seems unrealistic with my current progress. I don't want to be a guy that goes and runs a while, then walks. If I do this I want to be able to run it all. That's all for now. Everyone run well. Chad, you are a marvel. Remember what I said about the aging process.

Awesome write up grue. I have said it before and I will say it again. My absolutely favorite thing about this sport is that people, and there are several in this thread, who are so good will take time to help people like me that are struggling to run a 5k in under 10 mm.

I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :coffee:

* I have been discouraged by my progress. I just dont seem to get any faster. I saw how fast Wraith got in a year. I am very happy for Wraith but I have been doing this for approximately the same amount of time and he is light years ahead of me. Obviously I am doing something wrong. I changed my garmin to now beep at me if I fall under 9:30 mm. Previously it was at 10:00. Hopefully that will help.
400 meters. Target speed gains in the mid distances first. Get your 400m time down to 80s, then keep hammering it down. If your goal is a modest 20 minute 5k then a pair of low 70s 400m should be sufficient.

I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :goodposting:

400 meters. Target speed gains in the mid distances first. Get your 400m time down to 80s, then keep hammering it down. If your goal is a modest 20 minute 5k then a pair of low 70s 400m should be sufficient.
How much rest between these 400s?

:lmao: 22:10 slow?27:00 is the best I have ever done.I average 20 miles a week. generally 3-5 miles 5-6 days a week.edit to add that on avg 7 of those miles are on the elyptical.
When I first started I got faster with every 5K. Starting at 29:58 and topping out at 23:40. Now though I am dog slow. Whatever you do, don't stop it is very hard to get it back again. It really doesn't help if you keep aging. My advice is to stop the aging process. I wish I had thought of it sooner. Actually my problem is I spent my 20's and 30's eating McDonald's three times a day. I really wish I could go back in time and tell my much younger, much stupider self what to do. Any way, to get a bit of speed try doing one run a week as intervals. These worked for me.Start out with a very easy mile.Do the next 1/4 to 1/2 mile at 5K-30 speed. Slow down for 1/4-1/2, maybe first mile speed.Rinse, repeat. Make another run during the week a tempo run. Easy 1st mile, run like hell until there is a mile to go, slow down for last mile.The real runners here will do their intervals during the long runs. I could never do that, just surviving the long runs is enough for me. My update. Because of issues that sound a lot like excuses now, I did my first run, 3.5, in a week. IT was 84 degrees out, yet felt like I was running on the surface of the sun. 6 miles on Saturday, 3.5 on Sunday.Nest week, one of my after work weekday runs will be 5 miles, I hope. My future.I really want to run a marathon one day. Shooting for January's Disney seems unrealistic with my current progress. I don't want to be a guy that goes and runs a while, then walks. If I do this I want to be able to run it all. That's all for now. Everyone run well. Chad, you are a marvel. Remember what I said about the aging process.
First off, Darrin, what you've done is every bit an inspiration as anything else that has gone on in here. Second, I think you should sign up for Disney and do the marathon no matter how you get there. In the end, they'll hang Mickie around your neck and you are a marathoner, let your next one and the one after that define how fast you are, but after your first you are still a marathoner.

:shrug: 22:10 slow?27:00 is the best I have ever done.I average 20 miles a week. generally 3-5 miles 5-6 days a week.edit to add that on avg 7 of those miles are on the elyptical.
Guys let's not be too quick to lose sight of the fact that I was referred to as "fast." :wall: Of course I've never sniffed 22:10 (I'm using 22:40 to set my paces) and have a lot of PR's to hit this season... so I won't let it go to my head. Seriously prosopis I don't think you should be discouraged. If nothing else you have built a solid base to use as a launching pad going forward. You don't have to read much in this thread to know what is possible for all of us to achieve. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your training over the past 12 months, but if I have one piece of advice, it's to go buy "Run Less, Run Faster," read it and follow one of the programs. It has been a game changer for me!

2Young2BBald said:
Darrinll40 said:
My future.I really want to run a marathon one day. Shooting for January's Disney seems unrealistic with my current progress. I don't want to be a guy that goes and runs a while, then walks. If I do this I want to be able to run it all.
First off, Darrin, what you've done is every bit an inspiration as anything else that has gone on in here. Second, I think you should sign up for Disney and do the marathon no matter how you get there. In the end, they'll hang Mickie around your neck and you are a marathoner, let your next one and the one after that define how fast you are, but after your first you are still a marathoner.
:confused: I've run 5 marathons, and I walked during every one of them (I even threw up during one). I'm not saying I'm especially proud of that caveat, but I crossed the start line, I crossed the finish line, and at the end of the race, I got a medal. And I'm now a five-time marathoner. How many people can say that?!?

Six easy miles on the schedule today. "Easy" means 9:10's, but I decided to run closer to marathon pace and targeted 8:50s. I ended up doing 8:46s, but for some reason my HR was way high today. Like higher than it was over the weekend during miles 13-16 (at the same pace!). Maybe I over dressed a layer and that caused it, or maybe I was just really due a step-back run.

This afternoon I hit the pool again for another 2000yds. I did my ladder, but was faster today (relative term, folks). My first 100 was 1:35, and my last was 1:50. The 400s were about 8:20 and 8:35, which is pretty good for me. Mostly I was below 25 strokes per lap, except towards the end of each set when I could feel myself getting really sloppy.

I think next week I'm going to go back to doing a warm-up, then 4x 400s again and see how it goes.

proposis - The speed will come with more miles. As others have mentioned, a speed workout every week will really help. I never did any interval/tempos or hills with any consistancy until this last training cycle and I have been able to run faster than ever. It does take some time to get used to doing them, but I am even thinking of adding a second speed day for this next training cycle since they have worked out real well. With everything that I have read or heard about, the only way to get faster is to be able to breath in more air and that means more miles at a faster pace. Sometimes you just have to make yourself run faster and make yourself a little uncomfortable and then you will break through the barrier and get over the hurdle. That being said, if you are increasing your times now, you are doing something right. I would not worry too much about it. If you are still having fun running, then that is the most important thing. Don't make it a chore that you dread or it will never stick. Keep on truckin'.

------------------------

Quick update for me. Last night I did a 30 minute tempo run. 10 minute warmup, 15 minutes at a pretty faster pace (varied because of a big meal) and then a 5 minute cool down. Overall, it was a pretty good workout and better than I expected. 10 days away. Starting to get all the finer details planned out and coordinate where the fam is going to be at the race.

I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :thumbup:

When you say 80s do you mean 80 seconds?

My 8K (4.97 miles) race is tomorrow! First race of the season and I'm getting excited!!!

Goal time = 35:00 (7:00 pace).

Positives = Training has been good. I've done 4.5 miles at goal pace so I'm confident I can accomplish 5 miles at my goal pace. Also running it with my girlfriend. Another friend is driving from out of town to run it. Beer at the finish line. Looking forward to the experience.

Negatives = Forecast: scattered rain, 50 degrees, and 15 mph wind. Also, there are A LOT of other runners. A wave start will help keep people spread out a bit, but there will still be congestion. This might hurt my time.

Anyone else have a race this weekend?

:lol: Heading to eastern Michigan to run a half-marathon trail race with 2Young (and one of the other guys who will be part of our relay team in September). Similar forecast for our Sunday race - rather cold and probably rainy. Just what we need for a trail run. :thumbup: Age group medals for the top five in each category, and that's my goal, though I haven't been training on trails or with many hills ..so I could end up just floundering in the mud.---Good hour on the bike yesterday, then an hour in the pool this morning with 30 laps in 29 minutes :-)58/lap).

I have yet to meet a runner who made me feel bad or slow. I take that back I have met one and it is me. :bag:

When you say 80s do you mean 80 seconds?
Yeah. Much of speed is psychological, you need to feel what fast feels like. This is assuming of course your goal is speed, and not weight loss, or some long distance pursuit. I don't get the feel that there are many burner 5/10k guys in this thread. Most are weight loss focus or marathon/IM focus. Once I would get my legs under me I'd do a solid three weeks of speed work drills. Something like this

Monday - 6x400m Max pace with 5x200m walking between. Mile run cooldown.

Tue - 4x1000m. (soccer fields work ok for this) Inside each of these alternate speed surges, and work on stretching out the stride. Rest and stretch between. Cool down with a slow 1000m

Wed - The Beast 16x200m with 15x100m walk between. Nothing and I repeat NOTHING will get you faster than fighting through this. If you don't puke 10 reps into this you aren't going hard enough. Goal here is to split time like this. Start +1 +1 +1 -2 +1 +1 +1 -2 and so on. So sprint 4 8 12 16 are flat out hauling.

Thurs - Recovery run or light stretching and lunges.

Friday - 800m warmup and Mile for Time. Another 2-3 miles if no race otherwise shut it down after a cooldown.

Saturday - Race organized race or DIY 5k for time.

Sunday - Rest

Repeat 3 weeks.

Keggers: Best of luck tomorrow! 7:00 pace right now is certainly realistic for you. Go get'em!

Prosopsis: Speed is a relative term to each of us in this thread. IF a run is :01 faster than a previous one it is certainly an improvement. Hell, at my age, any run that is as fast as a previous run I feel is an achievement. Putting in miles and speed work at a level higher than you have in the past will almost certainly make you a better runner whether you are seeing gains in speed or not.

PmB: Another good workout. 10 days away = it's time to start mentally preparing yourself for a successful race.

Wraith: HR is a funny thing. As I'll post below, some days it just doesn't do what you expect it to.

2Young: :bag: Darrin is truly an inspiration to anybody in this thread who is paying attention. What he's done is most awesome!

Darrin: Many of the best running instructors recommend that you should walk through each water station, or at least commit to some walking. There is zero shame in walking; and a ton of reward in finishing. Whatever you choose, we'll back you, but realize walking is an option, and will not detract from being able to call yourself a "Marathon-Finisher!"

Sand: I believe Culdeus is referring to PR's = be able to complete 1 at that pace...and :rollseyes: at "modest" 20 minute 5k.

My Update:

I got my new pair of shoes yesterday (New Balance 1063's), and took them for a spin this morning. They felt great, but my HR was flying after just one mile of a planned 6 miler. The humidity had to be close to 100%, and it was warmer than it has been = most likely why. I decided to cut my losses and slowed it down, and shortened it to an easy 4 miler. The shoes felt great! I then got on my bike and rode in to work (11 miles); and it unfortunately started to rain. I didn't mind it, but "Heidi" (my bike) is pretty upset at me. I'll make my ride home a 15 miler, and will take a needed rest day tomorrow; to assist in throwing our daughter her 5th birthday party after going to her t-ball game; other daughter's soccer game; end of season soccer party; then our daughter's party.

Happy weekend everyone!

My 8K (4.97 miles) race is tomorrow! First race of the season and I'm getting excited!!!

Positives = Training has been good. I've done 4.5 miles at goal pace so I'm confident I can accomplish 5 miles at my goal pace. Also running it with my girlfriend. Another friend is driving from out of town to run it. Beer at the finish line. Looking forward to the experience.

Negatives = Forecast: scattered rain, 50 degrees, and 15 mph wind. Also, there are A LOT of other runners. A wave start will help keep people spread out a bit, but there will still be congestion. This might hurt my time.

Have a great race, Keggers! Your training reports make it seem like you are really peaking. A 7:00 pace for 5 miles is really ambitious. But if you can do 4.5 at pace in a training run, then 5 in a race atmosphere should be very attainable. Just don't go all Sand-y and run the first mile in 6 minutes.

How do you know if/when to modify your training program?

Right now, I'm doing the Higdon intermediate HM plan in prep for my June 10-miler. I don't really care about the 10-Miler, I'm really trying to build a mileage base and establish a training regimen for when I start my marathon training in late June.

I've already added a few additional "race pace" runs to the schedule, and I'm thinking about increasing the length of the long runs a little bit as well. Nothing radical, but I feel like I can do a little more than the plan calls for. Does it make sense to continue stepping things up if that's what I want to do and my body isn't biting back?

7-minute pace is certainly do-able. Go get 'em!!!!tri-man and 2Young - Good luck with the trail run!!

Have a great race, Keggers! Your training reports make it seem like you are really peaking. A 7:00 pace for 5 miles is really ambitious. But if you can do 4.5 at pace in a training run, then 5 in a race atmosphere should be very attainable. Just don't go all Sand-y and run the first mile in 6 minutes.
Hey now - that was a 6:20 first mile!The last two miles are lost in the mists of my mind...

Tri-Man and 2Young: Have a blast! Is this for the "woody"?!

The_Man: If your body isn't telling you to slow down, stepping it up a bit each week makes good sense. You should have a light week approximately every 3rd or 4th week though, just to keep your body from wearing itself out. For my long runs and intervals (separate workouts with long on Sunday, speed on Thursday) I'll give you an example of how I would normally train:

week 1: long run = 8 miles; speed = 3 miles (tempo = with 1 mile warm-up and cool-down)

2: 9 miles; 2x 1 mile intervals

3: 10 miles; 3 miles (tempo)

4: ez 5 miles; ez 5 miles [this is a rest week]

5: 12 miles; 4 miles (tempo)

6: 14 miles; 3x 1 mile intervals

7: 16 miles; 4 miles (tempo)

8: ez 6 miles; ez 5 miles

9: 18 miles; 5 miles (tempo)

10: 20 miles; 4x 1 mile intervals

etc.

With everything that I have read or heard about, the only way to get faster is to be able to breath in more air and that means more miles at a faster pace. Sometimes you just have to make yourself run faster and make yourself a little uncomfortable and then you will break through the barrier and get over the hurdle.
:goodposting: I had meant to post about breathing after my 3x 1600 on Tuesday. I know Sand made a comment about getting air to your muscles back in August that really stuck with me, and maybe it was him who talked about getting out the "bad air." But on my second repeat I was breathing pretty hard at the end. On my 3rd, I focused on fully breathing out and getting a lungful of fresh air. The repeat felt easier, it was faster, and my HR was slightly lower.

Keggers - Good luck and crush that 8k!!

Good luck to Tri-man and 2Young as well - I hope the weather holds for you!

Sand: I believe Culdeus is referring to PR's = be able to complete 1 at that pace...and :rollseyes: at "modest" 20 minute 5k.
:flex: 20 minute 5k was my warmup BITD :flex:You kids these days with all your Boston Marathons and IronMans.
:realflex: BITD I bench press rep'ed more than every single 2010 NFL RB prospect sans three w/o chemical enhancement :realflex:Nowdays one would end up on my neck.

The farthest I have ever run is only 15 miles, and that was after a year of training. That aside, I am leaning toward doing Disney in January if I can afford it.***Alert***I just checked the registration cost, and it is 135 dollars. It seems that the room and race will run about 350 dollars, but I will have to call to make sure whether or not the race price is included in the package price. Though I doubt if that is the case.

Keggers: Best of luck tomorrow! 7:00 pace right now is certainly realistic for you. Go get'em! Prosopsis: Speed is a relative term to each of us in this thread. IF a run is :01 faster than a previous one it is certainly an improvement. Hell, at my age, any run that is as fast as a previous run I feel is an achievement. Putting in miles and speed work at a level higher than you have in the past will almost certainly make you a better runner whether you are seeing gains in speed or not. PmB: Another good workout. 10 days away = it's time to start mentally preparing yourself for a successful race.Wraith: HR is a funny thing. As I'll post below, some days it just doesn't do what you expect it to.2Young: :goodposting: Darrin is truly an inspiration to anybody in this thread who is paying attention. What he's done is most awesome!Darrin: Many of the best running instructors recommend that you should walk through each water station, or at least commit to some walking. There is zero shame in walking; and a ton of reward in finishing. Whatever you choose, we'll back you, but realize walking is an option, and will not detract from being able to call yourself a "Marathon-Finisher!"Sand: I believe Culdeus is referring to PR's = be able to complete 1 at that pace...and :rollseyes: at "modest" 20 minute 5k. _________________________My Update:I got my new pair of shoes yesterday (New Balance 1063's), and took them for a spin this morning. They felt great, but my HR was flying after just one mile of a planned 6 miler. The humidity had to be close to 100%, and it was warmer than it has been = most likely why. I decided to cut my losses and slowed it down, and shortened it to an easy 4 miler. The shoes felt great! I then got on my bike and rode in to work (11 miles); and it unfortunately started to rain. I didn't mind it, but "Heidi" (my bike) is pretty upset at me. I'll make my ride home a 15 miler, and will take a needed rest day tomorrow; to assist in throwing our daughter her 5th birthday party after going to her t-ball game; other daughter's soccer game; end of season soccer party; then our daughter's party. Happy weekend everyone!

Nowhere near what the rest of you guys are doing right now, but started my 2nd full week of marathon training this week.

Weeks 1 & 2: M - stretch/srengthen (I'm doing yoga for the first time in my life); Tues - 3; Wed - 2; Thurs - 3 (followed by strength training); Fri - rest; Sat - cross train; Sun -4. The mileage, obviously, is going to increase as the weeks go by.

The mileage is really low, but I was beat at the end of last week (Thursdays whoop my ### and make me feel like a big vag). Just plugging along at an easy pace (no speed work). I find myself getting impatient and wanting to get better times. I know that I just need to put in the miles and not worry about the time, but I have a goal in mind of finishing my first marathon in under 4 hours. Maybe that's too ambitious.

At any rate, I am liking the regular schedule and just getting out and running.
"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." Great job so far - don't get frustrated or impatient. Follow the program and you'll get there.

What race are you targeting?
Thanks for the encouragement.Targeting the Copper Mtn. 1/2 Marathon on July 4th, and teh Denver R-n-R marathon on October 17th.

culdeus said:
pigskinliquors said:
:flex: 20 minute 5k was my warmup BITD :flex:

You kids these days with all your Boston Marathons and IronMans.
:P 18:08 5K PR, BITD, sonny. :flexback: :lmao:

liquors - nope, no official woodys ...but it's a longer race than the local trail runs, so who knows what'll occur out in the back forty.

wraith - I'm a big fan of focusing on a strong exhale (getting out the 'bad air'), setting up a natural and productively strong inhale.

The_Man - yeah, if you want to add more to the program, do it!

rail - I look forward to your progress and your success in those races.

gruecd - how ya feeling?

Darrin - stick with it. When it's time to pursue a marathon, you'll know. And I'll echo the other about how inspired I am by your story!

culdeus said:
pigskinliquors said:
:flex: 20 minute 5k was my warmup BITD :flex:You kids these days with all your Boston Marathons and IronMans.
:flex: I did a sub-4:30 century BITD :flex:...oh wait, that was just last August...in a ride that you were at :excited:

culdeus said:
pigskinliquors said:
:flex: I did a sub-4:30 century BITD :flex:...oh wait, that was just last August...in a ride that you were at :own3d:
:thumbup: Something tells me coldeus will have that in his sights in the near future.

Ugh, forcast for my first half marathon on Sunday is rain (possibly thunderstorms) and 47 degrees.

Not sure how I'll gear up for this now, don't really have any running gear other than tshirts and shorts.

Any suggestions? Had a $0.88 poncho ready to roll but didn't expect it to be below 50.

May look for a breathable winbreaker type of thing, maybe I'll get luck and they'll have someting at the runner's expo tomorrow.

culdeus said:
pigskinliquors said:
:flex: I did a sub-4:30 century BITD :flex:...oh wait, that was just last August...in a ride that you were at :lol:
:lmao: Something tells me coldeus will have that in his sights in the near future.
The pain train is coming to Wichita Falls this year. He's just scared that I'll actually get time to get prepped this time out. :banned:

Ugh, forcast for my first half marathon on Sunday is rain (possibly thunderstorms) and 47 degrees.Not sure how I'll gear up for this now, don't really have any running gear other than tshirts and shorts.Any suggestions? Had a $0.88 poncho ready to roll but didn't expect it to be below 50.May look for a breathable winbreaker type of thing, maybe I'll get luck and they'll have someting at the runner's expo tomorrow.
I am breaking out the foul weather plan for this weekend's race as well. Must haves/dos, Glide, and lots of it for the thighs, nips and arm pits. Even with tech gear, rain can make you chaffe like crazy. For my feet, it'll be tons a Vasoline. I am also going to wear a running hat to keep as much of the rain out of my eyes. I am a huge proponent on "don't try something new on race day". But, if you don't have a long sleeve tech shirt, you might want to get one. The shirt will be wet, BUT, it will also keep the wind off your wet skin and, if the rain stops, will wick the moisture away from your skin all the way down to your wrists.

tri-man 47 said:
Heading to eastern Michigan to run a half-marathon trail race with 2Young (and one of the other guys who will be part of our relay team in September). Similar forecast for our Sunday race - rather cold and probably rainy. Just what we need for a trail run. :thumbup: Age group medals for the top five in each category, and that's my goal, though I haven't been training on trails or with many hills ..so I could end up just floundering in the mud.
Remind me to set you up with a chair, an umbrella and a good book or two. Its gonna be a bit of a wait from when you finish and when we come lumbering through.

Thanks for this culdeus I will give it a shot

Once I would get my legs under me I'd do a solid three weeks of speed work drills. Something like this

Monday - 6x400m Max pace with 5x200m walking between. Mile run cooldown.

Tue - 4x1000m. (soccer fields work ok for this) Inside each of these alternate speed surges, and work on stretching out the stride. Rest and stretch between. Cool down with a slow 1000m

Wed - The Beast™ 16x200m with 15x100m walk between. Nothing and I repeat NOTHING will get you faster than fighting through this. If you don't puke 10 reps into this you aren't going hard enough. Goal here is to split time like this. Start +1 +1 +1 -2 +1 +1 +1 -2 and so on. So sprint 4 8 12 16 are flat out hauling.

Thurs - Recovery run or light stretching and lunges.

Friday - 800m warmup and Mile for Time. Another 2-3 miles if no race otherwise shut it down after a cooldown.

Saturday - Race organized race or DIY 5k for time.

Sunday - Rest

Repeat 3 weeks.

Good luck to everyone racing today and tomorrow. Looking forward to the race write-ups.

Getting ready to head out for my run, planning on six, but will wait and see how it goes.

Ugh, forcast for my first half marathon on Sunday is rain (possibly thunderstorms) and 47 degrees.Not sure how I'll gear up for this now, don't really have any running gear other than tshirts and shorts.Any suggestions? Had a $0.88 poncho ready to roll but didn't expect it to be below 50.May look for a breathable winbreaker type of thing, maybe I'll get luck and they'll have someting at the runner's expo tomorrow.
I'd prioritize a running cap to keep the eyes covered (and help keep the head warm somewhat) and some running gloves. I notice the cold in my hands/wrists, so I'll do gloves before a long-sleeve shirt. In some respects, the rain serves as a welcome distraction - you get caught up in battling the conditions and stop worrying about other things.Do well!!!

Ugh, forcast for my first half marathon on Sunday is rain (possibly thunderstorms) and 47 degrees.

Not sure how I'll gear up for this now, don't really have any running gear other than tshirts and shorts.

Any suggestions? Had a $0.88 poncho ready to roll but didn't expect it to be below 50.

May look for a breathable winbreaker type of thing, maybe I'll get luck and they'll have someting at the runner's expo tomorrow.
I'd prioritize a running cap to keep the eyes covered (and help keep the head warm somewhat) and some running gloves. I notice the cold in my hands/wrists, so I'll do gloves before a long-sleeve shirt. In some respects, the rain serves as a welcome distraction - you get caught up in battling the conditions and stop worrying about other things.Do well!!!
Come on now...it sucks and you know it.

Users who are viewing this thread