What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (5 Viewers)

I had kind of written him off. Clearly the injuries have been an issue most of the season. He's been elite since coming back. The offense is a lot better than I anticipated. Also AJ Dillon is a hot mess.

He just turned 29, which is ancient. But he looks like the same old Aaron Jones over the last 5 games. Assuming he's still in GB, I like him going into 24.
He indeed did look good down the stretch, but in his age 29 season, have to think they’ll bring in a thunder replacement either in FA or the draft to replace Dillon (UFA) keep Jones fresh.

I had kind of written him off. Clearly the injuries have been an issue most of the season. He's been elite since coming back. The offense is a lot better than I anticipated. Also AJ Dillon is a hot mess.

He just turned 29, which is ancient. But he looks like the same old Aaron Jones over the last 5 games. Assuming he's still in GB, I like him going into 24.
It's idiotic he isn't used more. It's clear he's electric and this is what happens when given the ball.

After this, you'd think Lafleur would stop tinkering around with Dillon or other so much. Especially now that Love has taken off.

It's idiotic he isn't used more. It's clear he's electric and this is what happens when given the ball.

After this, you'd think Lafleur would stop tinkering around with Dillon or other so much. Especially now that Love has taken off.
Thank god Dillon likely won’t be back. He’s terrible.

Huge Jones fan, I think he's been a top-5 RB most of his career, but having said that, whenever they have really increased his workload he's gotten hurt. Its probably bad luck more than anything, but its not like its a Dillon thing, or even a LaFleur thing, Jones was splitting just as much before with Jamaal Williams under McCarthy.

Please talk him up guys so that he's not sitting there in the 4th round again this year. That's the best way to assure a solid 2024.

Huge Jones fan, I think he's been a top-5 RB most of his career, but having said that, whenever they have really increased his workload he's gotten hurt. Its probably bad luck more than anything, but its not like its a Dillon thing, or even a LaFleur thing, Jones was splitting just as much before with Jamaal Williams under McCarthy.
Worse yet, is minor dings that linger. I had to cut Cooks (WR) to keep him and his twin Watson only then watched Cooks (wr) put up WR2 numbers the rest of the way while I was surfing the wire for a WR3/flex the rest of the year. Jones was a major cause of a bad FF season.

Jones was a major cause of a bad FF season.

Managing him cost me a playoff spot in Shining Path's Cup over in the FFA. Just brutal. When you started him (if he started or played), he didn't get touches and he was always questionable and not on IR (IIRC), so rostering him cost you a dead spot in your roster. The whole shebang.

Jones was a major cause of a bad FF season.

Managing him cost me a playoff spot in Shining Path's Cup over in the FFA. Just brutal. When you started him (if he started or played), he didn't get touches and he was always questionable and not on IR (IIRC), so rostering him cost you a dead spot in your roster. The whole shebang.
Right with you. I had Jones, Watson, and Doubs all year. Spent most of the year grabbing guys like Wandale Robinson at the last minute because it was rare that 2 of those 3 would play.

I serious wonder if some of Jones dominance in the playoffs was his freshness. He's looked beastly in the last two games.

at 24 can chalk injuries to bad luck, at 29 it's no longer luck

@cheeseheadtv

RUNNING BACK UPDATE: The Packers are NOT expected to re-sign RB AJ Dillon, per
@TomSilverstein

According to Tom, the Packers also met with Aaron Jones' agent to ask for pay cut on his 11.1M dollar salary.

If they can't reach an agreement, they'll release Aaron Jones in two weeks.

A Jones is my guy. Sure he has burned me a few times with the late scratch injury situations but I'm still investing. Between the way his touches have been limited throughout his career and the way he looked last year, I think he will be a FF RB1/high RB2 for a few more years at a very low price.

It's unfair what the NFL RB landscape has become. If an NFL wr just had 5 straight 100 yard games down the stretch and into the playoffs that wr would get paid. Instead. It's a RB. Hell, he could get replaced. Smh.
Nailed it.
But how many downs does a WR take to get those 100 yards? Give me 100 yards on 7 receptions out of 10 targets versus 100 rushing yards on 20 rushing attempts. I know the running game has to be there too. Just saying game-theory-wise, the yards per play effectiveness of the passing game makes a big difference in moving the chains.

Packers informed RB Aaron Jones of his release.

His departure frees up $5.22 million in cap space for the Pack. Already lightly rumored to be on the chopping block, Jones’ release became inevitable after the Pack lavished a multi-year agreement on Josh Jacobs. Going on 30 and coming off an injury-ruined campaign, Jones did remain three-down effective when on the field last season. It was just far too infrequent. He should still be in high demand for one or two-year deals on the open market. Both a proven pass catcher and goal-line back, Jones has always excelled on “money downs.” He should remain a 2024 fantasy factor regardless of where he ends up.

David J. Gautieri
Aaron Jones has been doubted time & time again & his supporters have been vindicated every single time.

1 of 5 RB’s (along w/ Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Jamaal Charles, & Nick Chubb) to average 5.0+ YPC on 1,000+ carries.

Top-12 in YPC (4.6) & YAC (2.2) in 2023.

45+ receptions (or a pace of it) in 5-consecutive seasons.

BUY-low (for a late 2) on contenders before he signs elsewhere.

David J. Gautieri
Aaron Jones has been doubted time & time again & his supporters have been vindicated every single time.

1 of 5 RB’s (along w/ Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Jamaal Charles, & Nick Chubb) to average 5.0+ YPC on 1,000+ carries.

I’d like to see those stats for everyone pre and after age 29 as a better frame of reference.

1 year $7million? If thats the total number…not far off what GB wanted him to take?
Did Rosenhaus actually hurt Jones in this? Seems the market was what it was and his agent sold him he could get much more.

Definitely interesting in him going to Minnesota. Glad he found a spot and wish the best to him (but not his team).

1 year $7million? If thats the total number…not far off what GB wanted him to take?
Did Rosenhaus actually hurt Jones in this? Seems the market was what it was and his agent sold him he could get much more.

Definitely interesting in him going to Minnesota. Glad he found a spot and wish the best to him (but not his team).
If that's true about the $7 GB wanted him at then good riddance. Glad they moved on and got Jacobs.

I would have rather kept Jones at $7m than paying Jacobs almost 2x that for this year.

I would have rather kept Jones at $7m than paying Jacobs almost 2x that for this year.

Jones is the way better back as well (although Jacobs is younger)

I posted here a few times how I was out on some backs and it's worked beautifully timing wise. Jones was one of them so there's the prerequisite background.

Adding an older back coming off injuries that's going to a stadium with new turf sounds like asking for trouble in FF.

I expect he'll do well when healthy. It's a good match. I'm just oddly expectant he gets injured again. Ya ever have doubt gut feelings and it becomes super predictable? Not trying to be pretentious just there's never been a worse thing for NFL players than new turf

I would have too. Maybe draft a RB in the mid rounds and let that play out. Sucks that Jones and his agent liked MN's $7 mil more than GB's, if that GB figure is true.

I disagree that Jones is way better. Look, one of my favorite all time Packers and guys. But Jacobs (on the field) does everything Jones does and is younger.
And Jones has missed quite a bit of time and has not shown to be able to handle the full carries for too long.

I don’t absolve the Packers here. Seems they set a value and when Jones/Rosenhaus rejected them…they pivoted to a new strategy of bringing in Jacobs for what amounts to the same basic contract they signed Jones to 3 years or so ago.

Seems the same contract they had with Jones. Don’t like the dead cap hit…but for more than 1 year, on the field only here…Id take Jacobs due to age and durability.

Factor in leadership and just who they have been…yeah Id live to have kept Jones. But seems he did not want to budge off his number in GB.

David J. Gautieri

I’d like to see those stats for everyone pre and after age 29 as a better frame of reference.

I'm not sure that tells us much we don't already know. I think everyone understands that Jones will not stay in this group if he plays well past his ability to maintain a high yds/carry. For the record here, almost none of the guys listed had a significant number of carries after 29 years old.

I think if we want to qualify this accomplishment it would be that he averages way fewer carries per season than those other guys. Barry did this on 3000+ carries, Jim Brown on 2000+. AJ has like 1100.

A healthy Jones is a top-3 NFL RB. The Packers are worse at RB then they were, and the Vikings are much improved, as long as Jones stays healthy. Health is 100% the rub.

According to Matt Schneidman the (rejected) Packers' offer was quite a bit short of what the Vikings offered, and had more incentive-driven comp.

@mattschneidman
Aaron Jones contract details, per source:

Original GB deal: $11M base, $1M incentives

Final GB offer: Little less than $4M base, $2M incentives

Vikings: $6M base, $1M incentives

Jones wanted to retire in GB but didn't want to take another hometown discount of that magnitude.

Great get for Minnesota at that price.

Jones has been one of the better backs in the NFL for the past several years, and was as effective as always last year when he was on the field, including down the stretch after he came back from his injuries (he ended the season with 5 straight games rushing for 100+ yards at 5+ YPC, including 2 in the playoffs). Obviously there's some risk with him being 29 and having those injuries last year, but at $6-7M that is more than priced in. And all of the RBs who signed for more per year than he did have their own risks - Barkley, Jacobs, and Pollard are each coming off a down years, Henry is older than Jones and isn't the back he used to be, Swift has never been nearly as good as Jones has been. I think I'd take Jones second out of all these guys for 2024 even ignoring contracts, behind only Barkley.

I disagree that Jones is way better. Look, one of my favorite all time Packers and guys. But Jacobs (on the field) does everything Jones does and is younger.
And Jones has missed quite a bit of time and has not shown to be able to handle the full carries for too long.

I don’t absolve the Packers here. Seems they set a value and when Jones/Rosenhaus rejected them…they pivoted to a new strategy of bringing in Jacobs for what amounts to the same basic contract they signed Jones to 3 years or so ago.

Jones has basically averaged 5 ypc over his career (give or take some years). Jacobs was at 3.5 ypc last year (white was at 4.3 ypc with the same line) and he has never reached 5 and been under 4 in 3 of his 6 seasons. He had the one big season but mostly has been pedestrian

2022 was the only year Jacobs played a full season

According to Matt Schneidman the (rejected) Packers' offer was quite a bit short of what the Vikings offered, and had more incentive-driven comp.

@mattschneidman
Aaron Jones contract details, per source:

Original GB deal: $11M base, $1M incentives

Final GB offer: Little less than $4M base, $2M incentives

Vikings: $6M base, $1M incentives

Jones wanted to retire in GB but didn't want to take another hometown discount of that magnitude.
I don’t blame Jones one bit.

That said, I hope he has fun taking handoffs from Sam Darnold and losing 11-13 games this year.

Guy pretty much averages over 5.0 ypc. I always thought he didn't get enough credit being on GB. On the right team this guy is one of the best rbs in the league

I think he runs wild with Minn (as long as he is healthy)

Jones has basically averaged 5 ypc over his career (give or take some years). Jacobs was at 3.5 ypc last year (white was at 4.3 ypc with the same line) and he has never reached 5 and been under 4 in 3 of his 6 seasons. He had the one big season but mostly has been pedestrian

This is all true but part of it is that GB never trusted Jones to be a workhorse. Even though Jacobs has missed some games, he still has 1305 carries in 5 years. AJ has 1177 in 7 years. That lighter workload helps your YPC a lot, especially if you're not getting the short yardage carries.

Not disagreeing with you that Jones has been the better back but I don't think the difference is as big as you do. He's also 3 years older.

I saw that GB wanted a 4 mill base.

If so, that's far off

And Jones has done that never getting the number of carries. I would have lived to have kept him. Loved it even more if he could handle 20 carries a game for a full season. But that isn’t the situation and he is hitting 30.

Jacobs has the speed, power, and receiving ability that Jones has…and is younger and has mot had the QB play or line that Jones has benefited from either. Nor the organizational stability.

A healthy Jones is a top-3 NFL RB. The Packers are worse at RB then they were, and the Vikings are much improved, as long as Jones stays healthy. Health is 100% the rub.
he won't be healthy, his body is breaking down

he's had a good career but anyone who thinks Jones is a better back than Jacobs at this point in their careers is smoking something.

Users who are viewing this thread