What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

He's clearly not in the Chargers' plans for next year if he's playing in the 4th quarter of this game.
I don’t think he is either way, but obviously it will be a different regime that makes that determination.
Who would have thought the chargers could be this bad?
At least the new regime has a franchise QB in place.
Watch them sign a Jacobs or Barkley.
Or draft a RB.. Those 2 guys are going to be slowing down soon too.

He's clearly not in the Chargers' plans for next year if he's playing in the 4th quarter of this game.
I don’t think he is either way, but obviously it will be a different regime that makes that determination.
Who would have thought the chargers could be this bad?
At least the new regime has a franchise QB in place.
Watch them sign a Jacobs or Barkley.
The biggest name at RB that the Chargers ever acquired in trade or FA was Chuck Muncie. I doubt that changes next year when they are already $45m over the 2024 cap.

Traded for him early in the season in one dynasty to fill in for Taylor, still made the playoffs but I was DOA after Taylor went down again (plus I had Keenan Allen too.) i knew he was likely a one year rental but obviously this stretch of awful has sucked.

At this point I hope a lot of what we were seeing was lingering injury combined with terrible coaching. Fingers crossed he gets healthy and lands somewhere they can use his talents next year. But unfortunately since RB’s don’t get paid he’s likely going to end up like Miles Sanders going to a terrible team because they offered the most $ (can’t blame him if he does though.)

At this point, he's either a hold or a buy. You don't sell. He's only 28. He may fall off the cliff, but he may have another stud year or two left with new coaching or change of scenery.

At this point, he's either a hold or a buy. You don't sell. He's only 28. He may fall off the cliff, but he may have another stud year or two left with new coaching or change of scenery.

Ancient for a rb. Let someone else hope
Agreed, but I'd rather ride him to death than to get pennies on the dollar because you aren't getting anything for him now.
The time to sell was prior to this season.

Ancient for a rb. Let someone else hope
Agreed, but I'd rather ride him to death than to get pennies on the dollar because you aren't getting anything for him now.
The time to sell was prior to this season.
Pennies on the dollar is the better option.

The overreacting and definitive statements in here always crack me up. Sure, his days as a bellcow are probably over, but I can totally see a resurgence as a change of pace or 3rd down guy for the next few years. If you are deep and can get some value (or are rebuilding) I can see trying to move on but the guy had several straight really good games like 6 weeks ago so I’m not sure selling low is a great idea.

The overreacting and definitive statements in here always crack me up. Sure, his days as a bellcow are probably over, but I can totally see a resurgence as a change of pace or 3rd down guy for the next few years. If you are deep and can get some value (or are rebuilding) I can see trying to move on but the guy had several straight really good games like 6 weeks ago so I’m not sure selling low is a great idea.

You are basically overreacting to what people are saying in here while fully agreeing with what people are saying in here.

Austin "HE DOES ONE-ARMED PULLUPS" Ekeler, fantasy darling, RB1 days are more-than-likely... over. No need to go into the "but I could see him having a 20-pt day in week 11 next year on somebody's bench" stuff. We've all seen this before.

That's a pretty big drop of from solid rb1 to really good change of pace 3rd down guy. I've never owned any shares. I never felt he was gonna be good. I was wrong. Dude really outperformed expectations. Will be interesting to see where he is drafted next year. 3rd? 4th? Obviously no longer a rb1, but solid rb2?

You are basically overreacting to what people are saying in here while fully agreeing with what people are saying in here.

Austin "HE DOES ONE-ARMED PULLUPS" Ekeler, fantasy darling, RB1 days are more-than-likely... over. No need to go into the "but I could see him having a 20-pt day in week 11 next year on somebody's bench" stuff. We've all seen this before.

What is the point of this post? Are you saying Ekeler has no value and he should be dropped? Or just lashing out to feel better?

That's a pretty big drop of from solid rb1 to really good change of pace 3rd down guy. I've never owned any shares. I never felt he was gonna be good. I was wrong. Dude really outperformed expectations. Will be interesting to see where he is drafted next year. 3rd? 4th? Obviously no longer a rb1, but solid rb2?
I probably should have said timeshare guy instead of change of pace. Perhaps similar touches/production to someone like Gibbs, even though they are completely different players? Obviously none of us know what is going to happen and the range of outcomes is pretty wide. But, he’s 3 years younger than Mostert. I just don’t see the value in selling for Pennies on the dollar now. RB is always a quagmire and riddled with injuries. As to where he will be drafted, will depend a lot on his landing spot.

If we are in a redraft right now, he would be lucky to be a 5th rounder. Obviously he would go higher as people are looking for the bounceback.

I probably should have said timeshare guy instead of change of pace. Perhaps similar touches/production to someone like Gibbs, even though they are completely different players? Obviously none of us know what is going to happen and the range of outcomes is pretty wide. But, he’s 3 years younger than Mostert. I just don’t see the value in selling for Pennies on the dollar now. RB is always a quagmire and riddled with injuries. As to where he will be drafted, will depend a lot on his landing spot.
I got ya. As a devil's advocate debate, ill respond by saying the reason the Gibbs/Achane guys are so productive in these timeshares is they have this crazy ability to explode for massive gains. Ekeler, whom I have nothing but love for, simply doesn't have that explosion. Gonna be such a tough guy to gage for next year's drafts. Things change quickly, but for me personally, as my rb3/flex I think I could get behind that.

I picture someone like Exeler hanging around another 5 years and being a thorn in the side of dynasty owners who have the Chargers backup RBs. Unfortunately for them, what they have backing up Exeler is garbage. Perhaps they spend a high pick on one in April.

I picture someone like Exeler hanging around another 5 years and being a thorn in the side of dynasty owners who have the Chargers backup RBs. Unfortunately for them, what they have backing up Exeler is garbage. Perhaps they spend a high pick on one in April.
I was gonna say, everyone who drafted him this year will avoid him like the plague, and someone will grab him in the 5th next year & get 20 TDs out of him.
:doh:

I got ya. As a devil's advocate debate, ill respond by saying the reason the Gibbs/Achane guys are so productive in these timeshares is they have this crazy ability to explode for massive gains. Ekeler, whom I have nothing but love for, simply doesn't have that explosion. Gonna be such a tough guy to gage for next year's drafts. Things change quickly, but for me personally, as my rb3/flex I think I could get behind that.
For me he’s a DND

For me he’s a DND
We say that buddy, but is there such a thing? Say it's round 7 and he is looking at you as your rb3 type? Seems like a decent investment at that value.

We say that buddy, but is there such a thing? Say it's round 7 and he is looking at you as your rb3 type? Seems like a decent investment at that value.
Depends if he’s still a charger, or what situation he’s in.

Round 7 I’m still grabbing WRs and QB over Eke. I’m so soured on him after this year.

What is the point of this post? Are you saying Ekeler has no value and he should be dropped? Or just lashing out to feel better?
What the hell do you care?

You 2 get a room at a Motel 6.

You 2 get a room at a Motel 6.

Agreed. Keep this 100% on football.

if Ekeler owners survived....the only hope is they fire the coach. Did wonders for Devante and Jacobs. If not I dont see how Ekeler can be counted on.
Coach is gone, but the OC remains. People were kind of surprised that he (Kellen Moore) wasn't named interim HC over the linebacker coach. Not sure what this means for Eckler.

if Ekeler owners survived....the only hope is they fire the coach. Did wonders for Devante and Jacobs. If not I dont see how Ekeler can be counted on.
Coach is gone, but the OC remains. People were kind of surprised that he (Kellen Moore) wasn't named interim HC over the linebacker coach. Not sure what this means for Eckler.
Tough to trust any Chargers, even Keenan Allen without Herbert.

If we are in a redraft right now, he would be lucky to be a 5th rounder. Obviously he would go higher as people are looking for the bounceback.
@FairWarning I really think you should revisit this. Did you mean he'll be lucky to produce 5th round value going forward?

Agree, but Staley was absolutely scapegoating ekeler for the offensive performance - spiller and kelley are hot garbage. It can't get any worse...

There is an interesting question here. Will Giff Smith repudiate the benching of Ekeler last week as being Staley's decision and return him to prominence? Or was it a front office decision whoever is coaching has to abide by?

@FairWarning I really think you should revisit this. Did you mean he'll be lucky to produce 5th round value going forward?
Yes, I should have been more clear. There are always people looking for the value in aging and heavy usage RBs, it usually ends up in fools gold.

Yes, I should have been more clear. There are always people looking for the value in aging and heavy usage RBs, it usually ends up in fools gold.
I thought that's what you meant, it's just "funny" the way the post read.

Personally I think 5th rounder is about right. This is where people usually draft Dobbins or Pitts. He'll fit right in with the usual 5th round landmines.

Anyone with the stones to start him this week?
Not me. Though a quirk of fate, I survived starting Ekeler in both of my leagues and advanced in both.

I benched Mostert for him like a complete idiot in one of them. Not doing that again.

Let's see if the new HC utilizes him differently week 16. If he becomes the centerpiece of the offense under the new regime then maybe we'll feel confident plugging him back in during the fantasy championship.

Sorry Ek, not much of a drop off to Kelley to warrant a big deal.

not much of a drop off to Kelley
Ummmm....
Ypc pretty close on 1/3 of the carries. 1/3 is getting pretty significant.
Ekeler does other things great......right?
Catches passes at .5 ypc less than Kelley.

To be fair Ek has a much higher catch percentage. I’m not arguing Kelley is better, just that the drop off from a $10 million a year rb to $1 million is much less than that drop at other positions

Come on, man. "Not much of a drop off to Kelley" is a really bad take. You are not looking at the right metrics or considering the right context. Is this a schtick response?
@Just Win Baby Still feel this way? Possibly injury accumulation or saving himself for the next couple of years?

I'm still of the opinion that something didn't smell right last year and we're seeing that play out this year.

Sorry Ek, not much of a drop off to Kelley to warrant a big deal.

not much of a drop off to Kelley
Ummmm....
Ypc pretty close on 1/3 of the carries. 1/3 is getting pretty significant.
Ekeler does other things great......right?
Catches passes at .5 ypc less than Kelley.

To be fair Ek has a much higher catch percentage. I’m not arguing Kelley is better, just that the drop off from a $10 million a year rb to $1 million is much less than that drop at other positions

Come on, man. "Not much of a drop off to Kelley" is a really bad take. You are not looking at the right metrics or considering the right context. Is this a schtick response?
@Just Win Baby Still feel this way? Possibly injury accumulation or saving himself for the next couple of years?

I'm still of the opinion that something didn't smell right last year and we're seeing that play out this year.

Kelley is a JAG. Ekeler is better than that, though he is in obvious decline from his career peak.

Kelley is about as good as Ekeler as an inside runner, but Ekeler forces more missed tackles. Kelley will never be close to Ekeler's equal in the passing game; Kelley is terrible. Ekeler is also at least a marginally better pass blocker, though both of them are bad at that.

There are a few reasons besides age that Ekeler's performance this season has been a disappointment:
  • There is no doubt in my mind that Ekeler's ankle injury really affected the rest of his season to date.
  • The Chargers have lost their top 2 centers for the season, with starter Linsley out since week 4. That had a huge negative impact on the season.
  • OC Moore has been bad for Ekeler. Chargers RB targets are down considerably (14.8% of targets in 2023, compared to 25.6% in 2022). Last season, Ekeler got 7 targets per game, this year he is down to 5.
I'm a fan of Ekeler's and have enjoyed watching him in his time with the Chargers. I wish him well as he moves on after the next 3 games.

I thought that's what you meant, it's just "funny" the way the post read.

Personally I think 5th rounder is about right. This is where people usually draft Dobbins or Pitts. He'll fit right in with the usual 5th round landmines.
I think you want younger instead of older when it comes to landmines.

I also survived last week with Ekeler. Now I have to pick 3 from Ekeler, Conner against #1 rush defense @ Chicago, Mr unpredictable Hopkins, and Singletary against Cleveland. FML.

I also survived last week with Ekeler. Now I have to pick 3 from Ekeler, Conner against #1 rush defense @ Chicago, Mr unpredictable Hopkins, and Singletary against Cleveland. FML.
If Levis is not playing, sit Hopkins. Otherwise sit Ekeler, I guess. Cleveland on the road is not as good as Cleveland at home, so I would not sit Singletary.

Unfortunately this is a weak 2024 RB class unless you can get Henderson or Benson,, but they really need someone better than what they have on their current roster. Perhaps free agency?

Unfortunately this is a weak 2024 RB class unless you can get Henderson or Benson,, but they really need someone better than what they have on their current roster. Perhaps free agency?
Honestly, not even a fan of those 2 guys either.

I like Brooks and Corum the best of this class, but honestly don't really see any RBs going until round 3. Zach Charbonnet would have easily been the #1 RB in this class.

Users who are viewing this thread