What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (1 Viewer)

Wasn't it just a week ago there were all kinds of rotoblurb rumors about SF being interested in extending Hyde?

Lol.

Nobody knows a damn thing about anything.
There was. Faust posted that earlier on in the thread.

The whole thing went 180 degrees since.

"The New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Baltimore Ravens are among the teams that could look to upgrade their backfield over the next few weeks."

Another example of a writer pulling stuff out of his a$$.  NE: no chance in hell; Tampa, why? Doug Martin's looking pretty good. Balty? Seems unlikely, their problems go way beyond a RB.
Philly?  Seattle?

I think Baltimore is the prime location. A solid RB would solve a lot of their woes.  Take the heat off Flacco and give that hard nosed edge back which is what Baltimore loves.

rschroeder1 said:
Mid-season trades are practically non-existent in the NFL for good reason.  In order for this rumor to be true, there would need to be a team with the cap space to take on Hyde that is ostensibly competing for the postseason that would be perfectly willing to give up a draft pick for 10 regular season games of Carlos Hyde.  This runs totally contrary to the value of draft picks, i.e. a drafted player is under cheap contract for a minimum of four years.  Are the 49ers really going to take a 6th or 7th round pick as compensation for Hyde?

I'm trying to think of the last in-season NFL trade I can remember.  I recall Randy Moss was shipped to the Titans from NE some years ago, but that's about all I can think of.
Well, there was Peterson earlier this week.  But your point stands--the 49ers aren't likely to get much for Hyde, if anything, even though he's really good.

Yeah, I deleted my post because I realized it was rather idiotic!
Your point about teams not making mid season trades often has some truth to it. Especially if you go back 5 or so years and before that.

I do think teams are trading more than they have in past years however and the CBA agreement in regards to rookie contracts is part of what is influencing this I think.

Hyde is in the last year of his rookie deal and not very expensive at all for a starting caliber RB. He will want a new deal next year and a more expensive one, so this may be part of what is influencing SF to move on a start over from scratch.

As ridiculous as it seemed to me during the offseason with rumors of SF liking Joe Williams enough to trade Hyde, those rumors continue to persist

Seattle seems like a good fit for Hyde but teams do not like trading within their division. I don't think that has changed.

Your point about teams not making mid season trades often has some truth to it. Especially if you go back 5 or so years and before that.

I do think teams are trading more than they have in past years however and the CBA agreement in regards to rookie contracts is part of what is influencing this I think.

Hyde is in the last year of his rookie deal and not very expensive at all for a starting caliber RB. He will want a new deal next year and a more expensive one, so this may be part of what is influencing SF to move on a start over from scratch.

As ridiculous as it seemed to me during the offseason with rumors of SF liking Joe Williams enough to trade Hyde, those rumors continue to persist

Seattle seems like a good fit for Hyde but teams do not like trading within their division. I don't think that has changed.
I guess if SF is willing to accept ANYTHING in return for Hyde, then I would imagine he would be traded.

This whole situation is bizarre though.  I believe the Rotoworld blurb on this said that the 49ers are considering dealing any veterans.  Why did they wait until now?  They couldn't have possibly thought they would be competing.  Every game that goes by, the returnable value decreases.  If they were dead set on not resigning Hyde after this season, trading him in the off-season would have made infinitely more sense.

Perhaps I should stop looking for the sensical side of things though...

Wouldn't they get a higher comp pick?
To answer my own question, from article i found:

If one is hoping the Niners are looking for a compensatory pick in return, it’s worth noting the team would have to suffer a net loss in qualifying free agents to make this happen.

Armed with an estimated $116.2 million in cap space in 2018 (including this season’s rollover), one would think San Francisco would bring in more free agents than they would lose.

So a comp pick looks unlikely, meaning Hyde likely walks for nothing in return.

If there's any truth to these rumors does Hyde even suit up tomorrow?

If 49ers want anything of value in return I can't see how they risk further / additional injury to a tradeable asset.

The Ravens would be an interesting fit, but I'll throw one out that hasn't really been mentioned but makes a ton of sense to me...what about Washington? 

Kelley is just a guy, and injured, Perine has looked mediocre at best when he isn't fumbling, and Thompson is a 3rd down back, who Gruden has made it clear he doesn't want to use more than he is. Hyde could be a 2-down guy, with Thompson coming in on 3rd downs.  Washington runs a similar offense to San Francisco, and has a solid o-line, and an underrated D. They are a playoff contender who teams don't worry about running the ball, and Hyde could change that. 

If these rumors are for real, Washington should be all over Hyde as their new Alfred Morris.

I guess if SF is willing to accept ANYTHING in return for Hyde, then I would imagine he would be traded.

This whole situation is bizarre though.  I believe the Rotoworld blurb on this said that the 49ers are considering dealing any veterans.  Why did they wait until now?  They couldn't have possibly thought they would be competing.  Every game that goes by, the returnable value decreases.  If they were dead set on not resigning Hyde after this season, trading him in the off-season would have made infinitely more sense.

Perhaps I should stop looking for the sensical side of things though...
Yeah part of why teams do not usually trade players mid season is because it takes time for players to learn the new scheme and play book, also to build chemistry and timing with their new team. Another aspect of this is the player knows their teams current scheme and could give the team they are traded to some insight on that, which helps the other team game plan against them.

These are sensible reasons for why a mid season trade is less likely than one that happens during the off season.

I have to wonder if there is some bad blood between the coaching staff and Hyde perhaps influencing this at this time, but there have been rumors of SF wanting to trade Hyde all the back to training camp. So they may have been trying to trade Hyde for awhile now, but just didn't find a trade partner or deal that they wanted yet.

If there's any truth to these rumors does Hyde even suit up tomorrow?

If 49ers want anything of value in return I can't see how they risk further / additional injury to a tradeable asset.
It's not just Hyde, it's the other vets as well. This thing must be like wildfire in the locker room. I know they're all pros but this doesn't exactly help a team's focus...

Could you elaborate on this?  Much appreciated.
McNichols is on their practice squad last I checked. He has great athleticism and it was a mistake the Bucs cut him (wanted him on their PS and he bolted to be closer to home). They cut him due to pass protection, which I think is ridiculous. He was behind all off season due to a shoulder injury. Of course he wasn’t up to speed on NFL pass protection. Now he’s had 6 weeks with 9ers and if Hyde leaves, I’m not so sure they’ll roll out with a 200lb and a 195lb back. I’m not huge on size being a metric on which to judge a back but it still has to be noted. Mostert didn’t even play RB until he got to the NFL. Both have world class speed but I think anything is on the table for the 9ers.

McNichols is on their practice squad last I checked. He has great athleticism and it was a mistake the Bucs cut him (wanted him on their PS and he bolted to be closer to home). They cut him due to pass protection, which I think is ridiculous. He was behind all off season due to a shoulder injury. Of course he wasn’t up to speed on NFL pass protection. Now he’s had 6 weeks with 9ers and if Hyde leaves, I’m not so sure they’ll roll out with a 200lb and a 195lb back. I’m not huge on size being a metric on which to judge a back but it still has to be noted. Mostert didn’t even play RB until he got to the NFL. Both have world class speed but I think anything is on the table for the 9ers.
I didn't realize McNichols was acquired by SF. Thanks for the info.

McNichols is not a powerful RB at all. Not sure what you are getting at with the size comment. McNichols is a very good receiving RB though, similar player to Charles Sims in my opinion, and part of why he was kind of superfluous in Tampa who already had some RB with similar skill set. 

From Rotoworld just now...

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said there’s "not much of a difference" between Matt Breida and Carlos Hyde.

Breida outsnapped Hyde and had 13 touches last week. He's trending up with season-highs in carries the past two games and should remain involved moving forward. The 49ers view Breida as a Tevin Coleman complement to Hyde. Breida doesn't have a ton of standalone value, but would be in line for big workloads if Hyde misses time.
Dumb dumb dumb

FWIW, none of the Skins coverage I’ve watched all week mentioned Breida at all. Gruden, Manusky, Tomsula, beat writers.... All of them talked about Hyde. Not a peep about Breida.

Are you guys playing Hyde this week or treating as a wait and see?

i think I'm sitting him for D Murray, Martin and Buck Allen in the league I have Hyde. 

Are you guys playing Hyde this week or treating as a wait and see?

i think I'm sitting him for D Murray, Martin and Buck Allen in the league I have Hyde. 
Not a Hyde owner but a Niners fan, and I wouldn’t start Hyde. The word is they’re shopping him around. 

If I were about to sell a car I wouldn’t be driving it around the neighborhood. And it’s not like teams don’t know who Hyde is or have film available - so there’s no reason to feature him to inspire a trade. 

I dunno - maybe I’m off base, but they were already talking about a diminished roll and then Friday the reports of looking to move him....not to mention a pretty tough WAS D on the road....it all seems very risky. 

Anyone have the stones to start him today?  My only other options are McGuire and Collins.  I've never had to sit a player due to trade speculation.

Anyone have the stones to start him today?  My only other options are McGuire and Collins.  I've never had to sit a player due to trade speculation.
With mccoy on a bye, I don't have a lot of other options. Perine in the same game is my only other possibility.   Every game I've seen him he just looks unexplosive.  So I think I'm rolling with Hyde. 

Guess I'm benching him for Brieda. With Mixon on bye, it's either that or effectively a lottery ticket in Riddick or a FA.

Damn....this went from a good workhorse situation to down the crapper.  Have to pick 2 between Hyde, Gillislee and Abdullah.  Pretty much a coin toss.  Take getting some sure points or roll the dice and put in Hyde for the all or nothing.  

FWIW, all three of Dodds, Bloom, and Tremblay have NOT altered their projections for Hyde. Still a top 15-20 RB this week in PPR.

ANYTHING could happen with Hyde

1/ He could get traded. Although if Schefter says there have been no trade talks he is most likely right.

2/ He could be in an Atlanta like timeshare

3/ He could keep the role he had 2 weeks and his benching could simply be due to him having a bad day last week. It’s not as if Breida lit the world on fire when he took the majority of snaps.

Due to bye weeks in some leagues I have to role the dice with Hyde. Fingers crossed

FWIW, all three of Dodds, Bloom, and Tremblay have NOT altered their projections for Hyde. Still a top 15-20 RB this week in PPR.
 If this weren’t Shanahan or a coach like him I’d agree with them.  But IMO he’s the type of HC who would sell out his team just to try to prove he’s smarter than everyone else.  I’m not sure how you account for that in projections.

I'm sitting him this week to see how this all plays out.  I was lucky and had waiver priority last week and scooped McKinnon

1/ He could get traded. Although if Schefter says there have been no trade talks he is most likely right.

3/ He could keep the role he had 2 weeks and his benching could simply be due to him having a bad day last week. It’s not as if Breida lit the world on fire when he took the majority of snaps.

Due to bye weeks in some leagues I have to role the dice with Hyde. Fingers crossed
If the team told Schefter to lie outright, he would.  If they gave him a "scoop" which was a lie, he would print it and be fine, as long as they keep giving him "news" to print.

Still waiting on the Dez Bryant tape Schefter talked about existing

If the team told Schefter to lie outright, he would.  If they gave him a "scoop" which was a lie, he would print it and be fine, as long as they keep giving him "news" to print.
I strongly disagree with that. Scheffer doesn’t want to lose his credibility.

If this weren’t Shanahan or a coach like him I’d agree with them.  But IMO he’s the type of HC who would sell out his team just to try to prove he’s smarter than everyone else.  I’m not sure how you account for that in projections.
I am not sure if it's just you posting this multiple times or if others are as well but I have seen this refrain multiple in this thread and I have no idea what people are basing it on.

Shanahan wants to win. Shanahan also has a long history of feeding his primary RB when he has a legit lead RB. We can debate whether or not Hyde is a legit lead RB but I don't see how anyone can question Shanahan's usage of RBs.

Now if you want to talk about his failure to utilize his #1 WR near the goal line I'm totally on board that train. Actually I'm the conductor of that train.

Users who are viewing this thread