What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

The robots are officially taking over. 
Not a robot, Just got confused w/ the link options. 

That being said  hear people are saying Mattison is a RB1?! Wish I could sell him.
I hear you on the quoting - just kidding around. Wouldn’t want to upset Chong Li anyway.

I agree that Mattison may be overvalued. He’ll get the volume, but IIRC he didn’t perform that well last time he filled in for an injured Cook.

I hear you on the quoting - just kidding around. Wouldn’t want to upset Chong Li anyway.

I agree that Mattison may be overvalued. He’ll get the volume, but IIRC he didn’t perform that well last time he filled in for an injured Cook.
Last time he filled in for Cook he had 145 and 2 TDs. You are thinking of the time before that where the Vikings got down early and had to abandon the run. He played a lead role in 3 games last year and put up 310 yards and 2 TDs in those 3 games. 

Last time he filled in for Cook he had 145 and 2 TDs. You are thinking of the time before that where the Vikings got down early and had to abandon the run. He played a lead role in 3 games last year and put up 310 yards and 2 TDs in those 3 games. 
My bad - I stand corrected. Volume is king anyway and not that many guys will get that kind of volume.

Wasn’t

Abdullah

active in first two games?
He was, Vikings have been pushing him down to the PS, releasing him, etc. all season to manage the 53 man roster (not exactly sure how it works and what they're saving, likely not exposing a younger player to waivers cause Abdullah bypasses them they way they've been doing it), but he's been active for each of the games so far. My assumption is that the Vikings and Abdullah talked this out ahead of the season and both know what's going on in regards to the roster shenanigans.

He was, Vikings have been pushing him down to the PS, releasing him, etc. all season to manage the 53 man roster (not exactly sure how it works and what they're saving, likely not exposing a younger player to waivers cause Abdullah bypasses them they way they've been doing it), but he's been active for each of the games so far. My assumption is that the Vikings and Abdullah talked this out ahead of the season and both know what's going on in regards to the roster shenanigans.
Chiefs did this with CJ Spiller a few years back too

Doesn't seem like there is much information out there about him, I figured there would be more talk about him considering he was a consensus #2 overall pick. Any new updates on his ankle? 

Doesn't seem like there is much information out there about him, I figured there would be more talk about him considering he was a consensus #2 overall pick. Any new updates on his ankle? 
It sounded like he was close last week so I am expecting him to play.  That said I have no more information than you do.  

Dalvin Cook (ankle) returned to practice Wednesday.

He'll likely be limited, but it puts Cook on track to return this week against the Browns after missing Week 3 versus Seattle. Alexander Mattison handled 34 carries and targets in Cook's absence, proving he's one of the most valuable backups in fantasy.

Sep 29, 2021, 3:00 PM ET

Dalvin Cook (ankle) is questionable for Week 4 against the Browns.

Unlike last week, Cook participated (albeit limited) in every practice throughout the week and should be active based solely on the sheer reps he took ahead of Sunday. The Vikings showed no fear in giving him a full workload following last year's injury, handing him 220 of the team's 247 backfield carries over his last nine starts. Barring a report on any limitations, managers can fire up Cook as a top-five option in his return to the field.

SOURCE: Andrew Krammer on Twitter

Oct 1, 2021, 1:35 PM ET

Dalvin Cook rushed nine times for 34 yards and caught 2 of 6 targets for 10 yards in the Vikings’ Week 4 loss to the Browns.

After missing Week 3 with an ankle injury, Cook got the start in this one and said before the game he expected to have his normal workload role. He carried the ball just six times for 17 yards in the first half and then limped off and barely played in the final 30 minutes before three fourth-quarter carries. The Vikings never announced anything, but it looked like Cook aggravated his previous injury. Alexander Mattison ended up out-carrying Cook 10-9. Cook added two catches for 10 yards to his stat line. He gets a real juicy Week 5 date with the Lions, but Cook’s ankle is a big concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching the game, I didn't think Cook reinjured himself. He's a little like Davante Adams in that sense that he looks like he gets hurt all the time, but usually is fine, you can tell when he's really hurt, and that wasn't yesterday.

I think Mattison's work was somewhat by design, and with the hope it would maybe provide a spark to what was a terrible offensive showing all around. 

I, for one, am certainly buying low if anyone wants to sell. This is still a top-3 RB going forward, even if its been a frustrating start. 

Watching the game, I didn't think Cook reinjured himself. He's a little like Davante Adams in that sense that he looks like he gets hurt all the time, but usually is fine, you can tell when he's really hurt, and that wasn't yesterday.

I think Mattison's work was somewhat by design, and with the hope it would maybe provide a spark to what was a terrible offensive showing all around. 

I, for one, am certainly buying low if anyone wants to sell. This is still a top-3 RB going forward, even if its been a frustrating start. 
I would like to try and buy low as well. What RB's would you move for him? Anyone outside of CMC?

I would like to try and buy low as well. What RB's would you move for him? Anyone outside of CMC?
I originally proposed Lockett and Higgins for DJ Moore (I have a lot of WR2s) and was just countered with Cooks and DJ Moore for Barkley, Lockett and Higgins. I have watched Barkley, and although he looks good, the OL is terrible. I am leaning towards accepting the trade, but Cook's recent ankle troubles scare me.  

I originally proposed Lockett and Higgins for DJ Moore (I have a lot of WR2s) and was just countered with Cooks and DJ Moore for Barkley, Lockett and Higgins. I have watched Barkley, and although he looks good, the OL is terrible. I am leaning towards accepting the trade, but Cook's recent ankle troubles scare me.  

I assume this is Dalvin Cook and not Brandin Cooks since it is in the Dalvin Cook thread? If it is Dalvin, I would do this trade. I like Cook and Moore a lot more than all 3 of those players. 

I assume this is Dalvin Cook and not Brandin Cooks since it is in the Dalvin Cook thread? If it is Dalvin, I would do this trade. I like Cook and Moore a lot more than all 3 of those players. 

Yes, the trade is with Dalvin. I plan on waiting until the afternoon reports on Dalvin before I pull the trigger. Thanks for weighing in. 

Dalvin Cook (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.

Cook was out there on the field but was working off to the side with the training staff. He expects to play this week against the Lions, but Cook may not be 100%, which is always a concern for him. He tends to aggravate injuries. Cook will be an obvious season-long RB1 against Detroit if he plays, but he's a nerve-racking one. Cook barely played in the second half last week against the Browns.

Oct 6, 2021, 6:05 PM ET

Sigh…here we go…again. So, last week I went with if the Vikings play him, you play him. We know how that went. What are you other owners doing? I respect him wanting to tough it out and play hurt, but I don’t think he’s a guy who can be effective going out there hurt. 

Sigh…here we go…again. So, last week I went with if the Vikings play him, you play him. We know how that went. What are you other owners doing? I respect him wanting to tough it out and play hurt, but I don’t think he’s a guy who can be effective going out there hurt. 
I think I could run for 50 and TD vs Detroit. 

In all seriousness, I think if he plays he has to be started, I don't think he needs to be fully healthy to rip up the Lions at all, and they've shown they are going to give him pretty much as much work as he can handle whenever he plays. Also, with a 1-3 record, I don't think they've be exercising caution much.

I'd rather them rule him out compared to what we got last week, at least I can put another guy in there beforehand. 

Damn, this sucks.  I was able to trade for Mattison when Cook went out for week 3.  I have been assuming I am all set for this week, just play whoever starts.  But this is the worst case scenario.
Correct.  I have Cook and Mattison in one league, and I think Cook should sit this week and next, and come off the bye week healthy.  MIN can beat DET with Mattison carrying the load, but I can see that Cook will get half the work, MIN will likely be up, and Mattison will finish the game.  

Maybe I'm just an optimist here, but Cook has a pretty long history of playing through injuries and being very effective doing so. Its more likely the Browns game was a fluke than a sign of things to come. 

Also, Cook did quite a bit more with his touches in that game than Mattison did.  He was roughly twice as efficient.

The Browns might just be a great run defense. The most yards they've allowed in a game is 82 so far, and that took 28 attempts to get there. 

Maybe I'm just an optimist here, but Cook has a pretty long history of playing through injuries and being very effective doing so. Its more likely the Browns game was a fluke than a sign of things to come. 

Also, Cook did quite a bit more with his touches in that game than Mattison did.  He was roughly twice as efficient.

The Browns might just be a great run defense. The most yards they've allowed in a game is 82 so far, and that took 28 attempts to get there. 
I don't have any doubt that Cook is better then Mattison.  My worry is that Cook only plays part of the game.  He could tweak the injury.  Or they could get up on Detroit and decide not to risk him playing any more.

Dalvin Cook (ankle) missed practice on Thursday for the second consecutive day.

This is almost deja vu with Week 3's game against the Seahawks, and though Cook noted in media sessions on Wednesday that he plans to play, Alexander Mattison proved more than able to handle the workload against Seattle. Given that Cook aggravated the ankle against the Browns, it would make a lot more sense to give him the week off and let Mattison work against the lowly Lions. But Cook is tough to keep out of your lineups if he does talk his way on to the field. Keep an eye on Friday's injury report. 

Oct 7, 2021, 5:03 PM ET

travdogg said:
I think I could run for 50 and TD vs Detroit. 

In all seriousness, I think if he plays he has to be started, I don't think he needs to be fully healthy to rip up the Lions at all, and they've shown they are going to give him pretty much as much work as he can handle whenever he plays. Also, with a 1-3 record, I don't think they've be exercising caution much.
If he’s active I don’t really trust either him or mattison. It played out exactly how I thought last week with him going out. Maybe it’s just the browns d is really good but just sit the guy.

At least it is a 1pm game so we will know if he is out.  I am really hoping he sits because I can't bench him if he plays but that could go badly.

If he is out where would you guys rank Mattison

Dalvin Cook (ankle) is inactive for Week 5 against the Lions. 

Cook played through the injury last week but looked nowhere close to 100 percent health before failing to finish the game. He then got in only one limited practice during the week. With the Vikings operating as massive home favorites vs. the undermanned Lions, they are doing the smart thing and giving Alexander Mattison another start. Mattison slides in as a plug-and-play RB1 in a contest where he will see massive volume. Joining Cook on the sideline are QB Kellen Mond, WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette, OG Wyatt Davis, DT Michael Pierce and DE Patrick Jones II. Cook should have a decent shot at returning for Week 6 against the Panthers, though the Vikings are on bye in Week 7, creating the temptation to hold him out and get him all the way back to 100 percent. 

RELATED: 

Alexander Mattison

Oct 10, 2021, 11:31 AM ET

Puts in full practice Thursday

October 14, 2021

Cook (ankle) practiced fully Thursday.

ANALYSIS
Cook has operated with limitations on his practice reps since Week 2 prep due to a right ankle sprain suffered in that contest. He made just one appearance over the past three games -- 11 touches for 44 total yards Week 4 against the Browns -- while Alexander Mattison earned spot starts in the other two games. Mattison himself is dealing with a shoulder injury, which didn't allow him to practice Wednesday before he returned as limited Thursday. Cook is poised to retake the reins of the Vikings backfield Sunday in Carolina, but it remains to be seen if Mattison will be his primary backup.

rotowire

Dalvin Cook rushed 29 times for 140 yards and one score, catching both of his targets for three yards in Minnesota's Week 6 win over the Panthers.

Cook, removed from Minnesota's injury report on Friday, handled 31-of-34 backfield touches, appearing spry with multiple broken tackles and cuts upfield in his first game back from injury. He fought for his 16-yard touchdown in the third quarter, breaking tackles and stretching the ball out at the one-yard line to register his second touchdown and second 100-yard performance of the year. Alexander Mattison, who was also removed from Friday's injury report, handled three carries exclusively in relief. Cook can confidently be leaned on as a top-five option again when the Vikings return from their bye against the Cowboys in Week 8.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Speaking Friday, Vikings offensive coordinator Klint Kubiak said that he has "got to give (Dalvin Cook) more opportunities moving forward," and "we just have to keep finding a way to get him the football."

Well, yes, that's ideal that your running back gets more carries, as it generally means you are winning. Cook is narrowly out-targeting his per-game averages from 2020 as a receiver, but he's down about three carries a game. Kubiak's quote shows us that the Vikings still view Cook as their linchpin on offense, but it doesn't necessarily promise anything beyond him retaining a huge share of the carries. 

Nov 6, 2021, 10:45 AM ET

Dalvin Cook had 17 rushes for 110 yards in the Vikings' Week 9 loss to the Ravens, adding three receptions for 12 yards. 

Cook's first quarter had all the makings of an eye-popping statistical day. He blew through massive holes in Baltimore's front seven for chunk gains, including a winding 66-yard sprint made possible by Justin Jefferson's downfield blocking. Cook had a short touchdown run called back on replay and couldn't punch it in on a handful of touches inside the ten. Coming into Week 9, no one in the NFL had more inside-the-five rushing attempts than Cook. Baltimore's game clock dominance in the second half severely limited Cook's fourth quarter opportunities. He'll be a locked-in RB1 in Week 10 against a Chargers defense being gouged by opposing backs.

- NBC SportsEDGE

I don’t want to speculate as to what the actual incident was, but it seems pretty clear that Cook, through his agent, wants to get his version of the story out there. My guess is that this woman will say something very different. 
Man I was just about to say the same thing. No idea what's what but just can't see a reason to use Shefter to make this public unless something was imminent was about to be made public.

Users who are viewing this thread