What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jeff Wilson, MIA (1 Viewer)

What the **** *** was that man. And to think I could’ve had Pacheco the week wilson was projected to go nuclear on the Texans. Sometimes you should take trades that don’t make sense (combo of players plus Pacheco) because this game makes no sense. Absolutely insane they didn’t run at all
It was easy to bench him this week against the #1 ranked fantasy rushing defense. I didn’t hesitate or think twice.

What the **** *** was that man. And to think I could’ve had Pacheco the week wilson was projected to go nuclear on the Texans. Sometimes you should take trades that don’t make sense (combo of players plus Pacheco) because this game makes no sense. Absolutely insane they didn’t run at all
It was easy to bench him this week against the #1 ranked fantasy rushing defense. I didn’t hesitate or think twice.
Sure, but more concerning is Mostert out carrying Wilson 7-1. That suggests Wilson may not be the clear lead RB in Miami. Wilson had 2 targets to 0 for Mostert,but Wilson didn't catch either of them.
I'm not saying Wilson sucks, just what I said earlier,he isn't a set it and forget it starting RB each week.

Seems like McDaniel is emulating Shanahan with his RB usage.
Never know who is playing and how many touches they will have

Moster 15/70, Wilson 10/48 and there's no reason they can't each score a TD

Mostert 9/26 with a rushing touchown -- 8.60 Half PPR points
Wilson 9/51 with a receiving touchdown -- 14.70 Half PPR points

Wilson in Miami might just be a godsend for some people who held through it all.
I think they will flip flop, Wilson looked spry out there.
Miami obviously throws the ball better but you could see their offense flowing smoother with the running game working
They were 5 of 5 on their drives ending in TDs until about the 4th Q, don't think they punted
You called it, MoP. Wilson is available. In hindsight he's wayyyyy better of a pick up then Pacheco. Well, anyway I will put in claims for Jeff Wilson, Jr. in two leagues. He has a bye week in week 11 so that might scare off buyers.

Mostert getting a large majority of the carries is about to change or Miami is about to expand their current running attack which is mostly 15/70 for Mostert and then luckily they never abuse Mostert but Chase was a disaster, Wilson knows the playbook and will do well adding to our running attack. Wilson will get his own drives, sometimes they might split some time if the drive is a long one but I don't think either of them is the "goal line" RB, both can score inside the 5 yd line, there won't be a huge drop off when either of them are on the field.

Tua cannot keep throwing 4 TDs a game so I see some box scores coming up that look something like
Moster 15/70, Wilson 10/48 and there's no reason they can't each score a TD. I don't think Mostert will regress in production as much as Wilson simply expands what we are already wanting to do and I actually think Tua will have a slight dip in his numbers.

Look for Miami to try and rack 150 yds on the ground whenever they can, they'd love to run the football when they have a lead. Struggled vs Pittsburgh and needed to pick up 1st downs in the 2nd Half of that football game.
Miami has Armstead and Hunt in the top 10 at LT-RG and Connor Williams the center ranks 2nd overall amongst the starting 32. The RG-C gap is prime to run behind and I think we get Austin Jackson back at RT, not the best at pass blocking but he likes to run block, the right side of the line is looking good in Miami, did lose our LG Eichenberg but he ranks near the bottom of starting OL.

New Defense OLB-Chubb is going to help increase turnovers for Miami which will set up some short field as well.
Good call MoP. Seems like a 50-50 timeshare. Any reason to think it will be different going forward?

I'm so bitter with myself that I didn't see this coming. I have been a closet Wilson truther for years now. For whatever reason SFO always seemed to want him to be the guy over others with much bigger pedigrees and his only issue was staying on the field. When he did he always produced. Being traded to the team now coached by his former OC should have made this obvious. Red Zone coverage had a couple blurbs on this and covered the fact he already knew the playbook and there were only small changes in verbage he had to adjust to. and it seems obvious now.

-I appreciate you all zoning in on Miami, truth be told I don't think the RB spot for the Phins is going to mass produce FF points, but if we are talking about Xs and Os, the Miami push for the pLayoffs they eludes them so often, this was a super easy call and I'll explain further.

-Both RBs are very prone to injury and it's the main reason the Niners eventually took 2 RBs in the 2021 Draft, Try Sermon-3rd, Elijah Mitchell in the 6th, if these 2 RBs were reliable and available the Niners would not have needed to do that. And they still had to pony up all in for CMC.

-The game script favored Wilson yesterday, he's not a great receiver by any stretch but one thing you saw immediately that you didn't see when Chase Edmonds was in there, Jeff Wilson was decisive, 1 cut or 1 look and giddy up and go. He's not fast but he makes decisions quickly and takes what the defense gives, you can't ask for much more from a back up RB but I don't view Wilson as that.

-I think Mostert is really the RB2 or change of pace, he's never proven to be durable, either of them really.
-As a Miami fan, I'm happy they are splitting time since they can't seem to stay healthy and I find very little drop off if any. I'm good with Mostert getting around 10 carries, Wilson similar, if the running game is clicking then a few more carries for the hot hand. The passing game from Miami is creating big holes for the RBs even with a subpar OL in some spots.

-When you look back though, CMC acquired, the Niners also truly love Elijah Mitchell and when he is clear, I expect Mitchell to at least come in for an entire drive or two during the games to keep CMC healthy and fresh. It's obvious they needed to unload and Miami could not survive for the Playoffs with just Mostert.

Miami is still a work in progress, they are winning games vs bad teams in general, the Bears game yesterday was highly entertaining and I don't think they are a bad team on offense but their defense was brutal, almost as bad the Miami Dolphins.

I think both RBs will look good but true FF production, the ceiling seems limited for both of them. But the next 3-4 weeks while we still have players on Bye weeks, I can see why folks want to use Jeff Wilson. Don't be shocked if Raheem has his typical 15/70 next week at home vs Cleveland. Could happen.

Cheers!
Go Phins Go!
A month ago all was discussed, not that much has changed except Wilson had a couple nice games vs soft defenses.
Mostert needed a break and they are going to rotate back and forth at times.
Miami was behind most of the day, 10-7after the 1st Q and they never were able to get ahead after that

FBGs and Fantasy Pros both had him scoring double-digits. I should have gone with my guy and benched him.

FBGs and Fantasy Pros both had him scoring double-digits. I should have gone with my guy and benched him.
🤷‍♂️Sometimes “the experts” are wrong.

I am likely firing him up against the Chargers, though. The Chargers have a difficult time stopping the running game.

What the h**l is going on around here, Vince?

What are we to make of this MIA backfield now. J Wilson, Jr. coming in with tons of hype and Mostert and nice handcuff / both upside RB #2's as both RB's were set to produce. The idea of you can start them both and produce was a strong possibility. Okay, it was SF. SF D is stifling. Game script and tough D is that it. Well, studs play through that.

Idk moving forward what the heck to think or how to adjust. Everyone is on the bench for now.

Week 16 is my 1st choice of whether I start Wilson vs the Green Bay Packers ay home on Christmas Day, Playoffs very much up in the air whether they get in or who they would play, would think both RBs will see plenty of action that day.

At Los Angeles on Sunday Night, Vegas seems to think there will be a lot of points to go around.
At Buffalo Week 15, that an auto bench

Sure, but more concerning is Mostert out carrying Wilson 7-1. That suggests Wilson may not be the clear lead RB in Miami. Wilson had 2 targets to 0 for Mostert,but Wilson didn't catch either of them.
I'm not saying Wilson sucks, just what I said earlier,he isn't a set it and forget it starting RB each week.
Did people think Wilson was the clear lead? There is no clear lead here and I thought that was pretty clear before this week.
Wilson dropped a likely 60 yard TD in the first half. That would have helped. But Miami wasn't even thinking about running with both tackles out against the niners.

Did people think Wilson was the clear lead? There is no clear lead here and I thought that was pretty clear before this week.
Wilson dropped a likely 60 yard TD in the first half. That would have helped. But Miami wasn't even thinking about running with both tackles out against the niners.
I did and still do. He's better. They traded for him. He was immediately given a good workload.

FBGs projecting 11.8 pts this week, FantasyPros has him listed as RB20. Anyone trusting him this week against a very weak Chargers run D?

I may have better options than either J Wilson, Jr. or Mostert for this week. I am high on them still. Chubb and now D Swift lands in the RB #2 position.

2 RB / 3 WR / TE / Flex

Flex contenders
Hopkins / Higgins / Godwin / G Wilson / J Palmer for WR #1, 2, 3 / Flex
Pierce / Wilson, Jr., / Mostert

Have top 4 WR's chalked in so far. Would love to play Wilson, Jr. when he goes off. I like both MIA RB's even though last week stunk. At least on the bench and SF for real on D. We'll see how the reports out of MIA go this week as Tua is my QB 1.

I may have better options than either J Wilson, Jr. or Mostert for this week. I am high on them still. Chubb and now D Swift lands in the RB #2 position.

2 RB / 3 WR / TE / Flex

Flex contenders
Hopkins / Higgins / Godwin / G Wilson / J Palmer for WR #1, 2, 3 / Flex
Pierce / Wilson, Jr., / Mostert

Have top 4 WR's chalked in so far. Would love to play Wilson, Jr. when he goes off. I like both MIA RB's even though last week stunk. At least on the bench and SF for real on D. We'll see how the reports out of MIA go this week as Tua is my QB 1.
This is great information and is very important to this thread and the folks who read it.

Carted off to the locker room
Kinda thinking chances of him returning soon goes down lol. Drop him for A Gibson hmm. I have Mostert in that league as a handcuff.

Edit: Just did it. Basically Robinson / Gibson similar to Mostert / Wilson. Jr. Last couple weeks I would have thought the MIA pair would be more valuable than the WAS duel. Now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

Dolphins HC told reporters that RB Jeff Wilson (hip) is day to day.​

Per local beat reporter Barry Jackson, McDaniel elaborated that the test results were "more positive than the worst case scenario it could have been. We have avoided the worst case scenarios for sure." It's a positive development for Wilson, although his status remains up in the air for Week 15. Wilson will have one less day than usual to prepare, with the Dolphins taking on the Bills on Saturday night. If he is able to go he'll operate in a committee with Raheem Mostert.

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter
Dec 12, 2022, 4:40 PM ET

Jeff Wilson (hip) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice.​

Wilson isn't going to suit up on Saturday after being carted on Sunday. That leaves Raheem Mostert, who seemed to be wearing down before Wilson arrived in town, to lead the Dolphins' backfield in snowy Buffalo conditions. Some combination of Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed will mix in behind, but only Mostert will be worth FLEXing for the first week of the fantasy playoffs.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Daniel Oyefusi on Twitter
Dec 15, 2022, 2:03 PM ET

benching him for McKinnon or Gibson or Brian Robinson, haven't decided which, but not worth the risk even if he does play IMO...

benching him for McKinnon or Gibson or Brian Robinson, haven't decided which, but not worth the risk even if he does play IMO...
Continue to be dismayed that folks are questioning Robinson this week. His arrow the last two games is pointing straight up, and the matchup is premo. I'd start him over a 100% healthy Wilson.

Continue to be dismayed that folks are questioning Robinson this week. His arrow the last two games is pointing straight up, and the matchup is premo. I'd start him over a 100% healthy Wilson.
Considering Wilson's recent numbers, that's not saying much.

I think Robinson always seems a little disappointing because he doesn't get many receptions or red zone touches. No easy points.

Dolphins RB Jeff Wilson is inactive for Week 15 against the Bills.​

Raheem Mostert should work as the unquestioned lead back for the Dolphins, likely backed up by Salvon Ahmed and Myles Gaskin. Also inactive for the Dolphins are QB Teddy Bridgewater, DB Elijah Campbell, S Eric Rowe, WR River Cracraft, and WR Erik Ezukanma.
Dec 17, 2022, 6:52 PM ET

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said Jeff Wilson (hip) was close to playing in Week 15 against the Bills.​

Wilson was slapped with a questionable tag heading into Saturday's game against the Bills, suggesting there was a legitimate chance he could play. However, McDaniel and the team opted to protect Wilson from further injury by sidelining him in the 32-29 defeat. It sounds like Wilson is trending in the right direction to play in Week 16 against the Packers, but he'll be hard to trust as anything more than a FLEX play with Mostert also healthy and playing well.
Dec 19, 2022, 5:22 PM ET

Jeff Wilson (hip) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Head coach Mike McDaniel said on Monday that Wilson was close to playing in Week 15 against Buffalo. We'd expect to see him in this week's matchup against the Packers, barring any setbacks, but his fantasy upside is in question with Mostert also healthy. After going for 17-119-1 in his second game as a Dolphin, Wilson just rushed just 18 times for 68 yards and one touchdown in his last three games. As long as Mostert is healthy, Wilson is nothing more than a deep FLEX play against the Packers.
Dec 21, 2022, 6:03 PM ET

Jeff Wilson (hip) is questionable for Week 16 against the Packers.​

Wilson sat out last week, though Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said he was close to playing, but the team ultimately held him out. After getting in a trio of limited sessions, Wilson looks likely to return this week. He appeared to be falling behind Raheem Mostert before going down with the hip issue, so there won't be much life in his fantasy outlook for Week 16.
Dec 23, 2022, 3:56 PM ET

Jeff Wilson rushed 10 times for 23 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Wild Card Round loss to the Bills.

Wilson opened the 2022 season as the backup to Elijah Mitchell in San Francisco. Mitchell went down with a knee injury and Tyrion Davis-Price wasn’t far behind, leaving almost the entire San Francisco backfield to just Wilson. He made the most of the opportunity, averaging 13 carries for 72 yards over the next six weeks. Then, after the 49ers acquired Christian McCaffrey, Wilson was traded to Miami. Having played under Miami head coach Mike McDaniel in previous years with the 49ers, the transition was remarkably easy. Wilson instantly took over as the Dolphins’ lead back, though his role would ebb and flow a bit late in the year. He ultimately finished his fifth pro season with 176 carries for 860 yards and five touchdowns. Wilson added 22 catches for 185 yards and a touchdown through the air. Wilson will be a free agent in March, but his first choice will likely be to stay with McDaniel, whose scheme suits his style well. If he does, Wilson could be in line for a sizable role next year.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Dolphins GM Chris Grier said the team is "open" to Jeff Wilson and Raheem Moster returning to the team.​

Both backs are set to hit free agents. Both backs also have years of experience in head coach Mike McDaniel's scheme dating back to their time together in San Francisco. Grier added that the Dolphins would consider taking a running back in earlier rounds than he has in the past if McDaniel has his eyes on a player. With Wilson taking the starting job from Mostert shortly after being traded to Miami, he looks like the more likely candidate to be re-signed. That would still leave the door open for a rookie to enter the mix, though it would lessen the team's need at running back.
SOURCE: David Furones on Twitter
Mar 1, 2023, 1:24 PM ET

Dolphins re-signed Jeff Wilson to a two-year contract with a maximum value of $8.2 million.

The Dolphins are re-committed to their Mostert/Wilson committee backfield, it appears. Wilson managed just one 100-yard game for the Dolphins last year and was generally the second back behind Mostert when Mostert was healthy. He'll enter the year as a potential fantasy lotto ticket in a good offense, behind an injury-prone Mostert. It's a good situation for him and the Dolphins figure to not push the two with a real threat from a rookie back as they lack draft capital.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:26 PM ET

Dolphins HC Mike McDaniel said he “wouldn’t be surprised” if Jeff Wilson (finger/core) returned this season.

That’s not exactly an optimistic prognosis for Wilson, who was a surprise add to the injured reserve list earlier today. The veteran is reportedly dealing with multiple injuries that need time to heal, with McDaniel adding the team will “let his body tell us” when he’s ready to play. Wilson isn’t eligible to return until Week 5 at the earliest, but McDaniel’s tone suggests he could be out longer. Raheem Mostert and Devon Achane are screaming buys heading into the final week of draft season.

Dolphins placed RB Jeff Wilson (undisclosed) on injured reserve.
This one came a bit out of left field. We’ll likely know more on Wilson’s injury in the days ahead, but the veteran running back will now miss at least the first four games of the season. Wilson’s absence opens the door for Raheem Mostert and rookie Devon Achane to play significantly bigger roles for the Dolphins out of the gate. Both should be targets in the final week of drafting leading up to Week 1’s matchup against the Chargers.

Jeff Wilson is eligible to come of IR this week.
With the way Mostert and Achane are playing will he see the field at all this year?

Users who are viewing this thread