What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, CAR (1 Viewer)

Would love to grab him as a RB-4 this year. If he stays in that 10th round area, I'm all in.

He's got so much competition for carries from Hurts, Swift, Gainwell, Scott. I wouldn't project him for more than 150 carries in a fully healthy season. At best he's splitting carries with Swift, at worst he gets beat out by Gainwell for the #2 spot and he never/rarely sees the field. If the Eagles didn't trade for Swift, I'd take a flyer, but with Swift in the fold, I just don't see the value.
Disagree. If (big if of course) Penny has a fully healthy season, he is by far the best pure RB of the group. Eagles don't throw to their backs that much, so I don't see his skills as a receiver keeping him off the field. Just think that as cheap as he is, could be a really nice value. The guy has averaged 5.7 YPC in his career and Seattle wasn't a great OL to run behind. Just a matter of health.

I agree with you as well. Penney is potentially the steal of the draft right now. Swift is chronically hurt and soft. If Penney can string together 6-8 games (or more) when you need him he can make a huge difference

Swift has played 40 games in 3 years. Penny has played 42 in 5 years (18 the last 3). Penny would need a convergence of things to happen for him to have any real value this season. 1. He need to stay healthy (unlikely); 2. He needs Swift to be injured or ineffective (possible); 3. The Eagles need to stop doing the tush push at the goal line (doubtful). Penny doesn't score a lot of TDs, he doesn't catch many passes. For the Eagles, he'll be a between the 20s runner and he'll be in a RBBC doing that. Go ahead take a flyer on the guy, but I think there are probably guys who if there was an injury would be better, more reliable risks.
Per bolded, why wouldn't he be the goal-line back? At 220 pounds, a much bigger back than Gainwell and Scott and a more powerful runner than Swift. I see no reason he would be a "between the 20s" runner if healthy.
Right now I see his ADP is mid-12th round. I'm buying in the 12th.

ETA: sorry, the ADP I see is for dynasty start up.
I'm seeing him go on the 9th on sleeper mocks for ADP and 8th on FF calculator ADP. I'll take a flier on the 10th and beyond but that's a bit too high for me to take penny.

Would love to grab him as a RB-4 this year. If he stays in that 10th round area, I'm all in.

He's got so much competition for carries from Hurts, Swift, Gainwell, Scott. I wouldn't project him for more than 150 carries in a fully healthy season. At best he's splitting carries with Swift, at worst he gets beat out by Gainwell for the #2 spot and he never/rarely sees the field. If the Eagles didn't trade for Swift, I'd take a flyer, but with Swift in the fold, I just don't see the value.
Disagree. If (big if of course) Penny has a fully healthy season, he is by far the best pure RB of the group. Eagles don't throw to their backs that much, so I don't see his skills as a receiver keeping him off the field. Just think that as cheap as he is, could be a really nice value. The guy has averaged 5.7 YPC in his career and Seattle wasn't a great OL to run behind. Just a matter of health.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Jalen Hurts vultures the goal line TDs, too. I wouldn't want any of the Eagles RBs.
OK, but Sanders still had 11 TDs last year and Gainwell/Scott had another 7. In that offense, plenty of TDs for the RBs even if Hurts repeats his 13 from last year, which he probably won't.

Sanders only scored 1 TD from the 1 yard line. Gainwell scored 0 TDs from the 1 yard line. Boston Scott scored 1 TD from the 1 yard line.

Jalen Hurts scored 6 TDs from the 1 yard line.

I agree with you as well. Penney is potentially the steal of the draft right now. Swift is chronically hurt and soft. If Penney can string together 6-8 games (or more) when you need him he can make a huge difference

Swift has played 40 games in 3 years. Penny has played 42 in 5 years (18 the last 3). Penny would need a convergence of things to happen for him to have any real value this season. 1. He need to stay healthy (unlikely); 2. He needs Swift to be injured or ineffective (possible); 3. The Eagles need to stop doing the tush push at the goal line (doubtful). Penny doesn't score a lot of TDs, he doesn't catch many passes. For the Eagles, he'll be a between the 20s runner and he'll be in a RBBC doing that. Go ahead take a flyer on the guy, but I think there are probably guys who if there was an injury would be better, more reliable risks.
Per bolded, why wouldn't he be the goal-line back? At 220 pounds, a much bigger back than Gainwell and Scott and a more powerful runner than Swift. I see no reason he would be a "between the 20s" runner if healthy.

Because the Eagles don't use a goal line back. Sanders, Gainwell and Scott had 2 TDs at the goal line. Hurts had 6. They do the tush push when they get to the 1. Do you guys even watch the Eagles?

But 20 (estimate on my part as a swift dynasty owner) of those games swift was questionable and played incredibly soft. That's what i meant by chronically hurt...it's always something with him.

Are you talking about Penny or Swift? Penny is usually unavailable. Tough to get fantasy points in street clothes.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Jalen Hurts vultures the goal line TDs, too. I wouldn't want any of the Eagles RBs.
OK, but Sanders still had 11 TDs last year and Gainwell/Scott had another 7. In that offense, plenty of TDs for the RBs even if Hurts repeats his 13 from last year, which he probably won't.

Sanders only scored 1 TD from the 1 yard line. Gainwell scored 0 TDs from the 1 yard line. Boston Scott scored 1 TD from the 1 yard line.

Because the Eagles don't use a goal line back. Sanders, Gainwell and Scott had 2 TDs at the goal line. Hurts had 6. They do the tush push when they get to the 1. Do you guys even watch the Eagles?
You are aware that a goal-line back is used outside the 1 yard line, right?

Penny has a 5.7 YPC in his NFL career. That would indicate he can score outside the 1 yard line, similar to what Sanders did.

Pick 1 ..

Would you rather own Penny, Swift, AJones, or Dillion? I feel like they are in similar situations. Each one has another quality RB in the backfield with them which is great in real life.

Fantasy purposes though, I am not sure I want any of them in their situations. Pick the wrong RB each week.

But 20 (estimate on my part as a swift dynasty owner) of those games swift was questionable and played incredibly soft. That's what i meant by chronically hurt...it's always something with him.

But that is just another reason not to take Penny. Swift will be available pretty much every game. Looking at his game logs from last season, he got between 5 and 15 carries a game.

Eagles RBs got 21.5 carries per game last year. If you are penciling in Swift for 5 minimum since he's usually available and on a pitch count. Scott and Gainwell averaged 6 a game last season. That leaves maybe 10 for Penny, AT BEST, if Swift holds to form. So that puts him right in the 150 carry range I said he would have, if, and that's a big if, he can stay healthy for 17 games, which he hasn't shown the ability to do in 5 years. It also assumes the Eagle new OC will run the ball as much as Steichen did (Eagles were 3rd in the league in rush attempts).
1. Injury history
2. Competition for carries and TDs
3. Lack of versatility in the passing game

I don't see the upside. Man I hope the guy gets 1000 yards and 10 TDs, but 300 yards and 3 TDs is probably what we're looking at.

Pick 1 ..

Would you rather own Penny, Swift, AJones, or Dillion? I feel like they are in similar situations. Each one has another quality RB in the backfield with them which is great in real life.

Fantasy purposes though, I am not sure I want any of them in their situations. Pick the wrong RB each week.

If I'm taking a flyer on an Eagles back, it's Swift, not Penny. But to be honest, I'm with you, I don't want any Eagles back. Don't have an opinion on the Green Bay guys, see who looks better in camp.

Penny has a 5.7 YPC in his NFL career. That would indicate he can score outside the 1 yard line, similar to what Sanders did.

How far out would you like to go?

Here are Penny's TDs by distance in his career:

2018: 18 yards, 20 yards
2019: 37 yards, 58 yards, 1 yard
2020: None
2021: 32 yards, 47 yards, 3 yards, 15 yards, 6 yards, 62 yards
2022: 36 yards, 41 yards

2 TDs inside the 5 in 5 years. Now he's going to be a goal line back? Sure he can score outside the 1 yard line like Sanders. But Sanders got 260 carries to amass his 11 TDs. Penny won't sniff that amount. The year prior when Sanders only got 137 carries he scored a whopping 0 TDs.

Surprised to see an argument about Penny as a goal line back. Per PFR, here are his NFL career statistics in the red zone:
  • Rushing: 38 attempts for 102 yards (2.7 ypc), 5 TDs, and 3 first downs
  • Receiving: 3 receptions on 5 targets for 21 yards (7.0 ypr) and 1 TD
As a point of comparison, here are Swift's NFL career statistics in the red zone:
  • Rushing: 61 attempts for 191 yards (3.1. ypc), 17 TDs, and 1 first down
  • Receiving: 20 receptions on 31 targets for 133 yards (6.7 ypr), 3 TDs, and 4 first downs
Swift has played in 40 of 50 possible games (80%). Penny has played in 43 of 87 possible games (49%).

I'm not sure why anyone would expect Penny to become the goal line back over Swift.

How far out would you like to go?

Here are Penny's TDs by distance in his career:

2018: 18 yards, 20 yards
2019: 37 yards, 58 yards, 1 yard
2020: None
2021: 32 yards, 47 yards, 3 yards, 15 yards, 6 yards, 62 yards
2022: 36 yards, 41 yards

2 TDs inside the 5 in 5 years. Now he's going to be a goal line back? Sure he can score outside the 1 yard line like Sanders. But Sanders got 260 carries to amass his 11 TDs. Penny won't sniff that amount. The year prior when Sanders only got 137 carries he scored a whopping 0 TDs.
I'll take the 32, 36, 41, 47 and 62 yard TDs all day long. Shows how explosive he is

As far as the short TDs, he shared the backfield with a healthy Chris Carson his first two years, who got most of the goal-line action. Missed almost the entire 2020 season, so toss that out. Had 6 TDs on only 119 carries in 2021 and then a couple on 57 carries last year. Not worried at all about TD rate if he stays "fully healthy" which is the assumption we have been working on.

Just don't see a reason he wouldn't be the guy on the field in close this year, IF he stays healthy.

I am not sure that Swift or Penny is a question anyone should care about. Penny is the better runner, Swift the better pass catcher.

Last season the Eagles targetted their RB's at the lowest rate in the league, ~3.5 targets per game. If rushing QB's tend to checkdown less then Swift has a severely capped ceiling in this offense, even if he gets all the RB targets which is unlikely.

Both backs need an injury to get into the top 24 so if you are making that bet why not make it on the cheaper guy? (ADP 64 vs 109)

I am not sure that Swift or Penny is a question anyone should care about. Penny is the better runner, Swift the better pass catcher.

Last season the Eagles targetted their RB's at the lowest rate in the league, ~3.5 targets per game. If rushing QB's tend to checkdown less then Swift has a severely capped ceiling in this offense, even if he gets all the RB targets which is unlikely.

Both backs need an injury to get into the top 24 so if you are making that bet why not make it on the cheaper guy? (ADP 64 vs 109)

My position is that neither RB is worth a roster spot.

I would look at other RBs in the 100 ADP range. Like look at NO, give me Alvin Kamara (82 ADP) or Jamaal Williams (95 ADP). Here are two guys who if were forced to carry the load could without getting hurt. Or give me Isiah Pacheco (73 ADP).

I would look at other RBs in the 100 ADP range. Like look at NO, give me Alvin Kamara (82 ADP) or Jamaal Williams (95 ADP). Here are two guys who if were forced to carry the load could without getting hurt. Or give me Isiah Pacheco (73 ADP).
Well yeah, you are picking guys with a much lower ADP than Penny currently has. Of course you would rather have those 3 guys. Penny is around ADP 125 in full PPR currently.

Well yeah, you are picking guys with a much lower ADP than Penny currently has. Of course you would rather have those 3 guys. Penny is around ADP 125 in full PPR currently.
I'm seeing his ADP around 95-110 on a couple different sites. Much too high for me.

You can avoid the situation if you want, but to say neither is worth a roster spot seems sort of ridiculous. Hurts may vulture a lot but the Eagles score a ton. Also, Kamara is ADP 82? Geez…..

You can avoid the situation if you want, but to say neither is worth a roster spot seems sort of ridiculous. Hurts may vulture a lot but the Eagles score a ton. Also, Kamara is ADP 82? Geez…..

I'm just trying to help you guys out here. Being that I follow the Eagles day in, day out for many, many years. Any bit of news, any goings on. Season tickets to the team. I have a pretty good feel about how they'll use their personnel, what they do in certain situations, how they feel about current players, what changes the make internally, what the players are saying, who gets dinged up in practice, who did well during practice. I think I know the Eagles RB situation pretty well.

Then I see in this thread the hope that maybe Penny can score a bunch of long TDs, beat out the other RBs, stay healthy, yada...yada...yada... and I say, why hope that all of these things can go right for the guy when there are other guys who have to face less obstacles to be a producer on your fantasy team. Because he stayed healthy for a month 2 seasons ago and put together a good stretch of games? His only good stretch in 5 seasons?

Like I said before, I hope he balls out. That means the Eagles will have a good season. But for fantasy purposes, I'm not rostering the guy.

I'm just trying to help you guys out here. Being that I follow the Eagles day in, day out for many, many years. Any bit of news, any goings on. Season tickets to the team. I have a pretty good feel about how they'll use their personnel, what they do in certain situations, how they feel about current players, what changes the make internally, what the players are saying, who gets dinged up in practice, who did well during practice. I think I know the Eagles RB situation pretty well.

Then I see in this thread the hope that maybe Penny can score a bunch of long TDs, beat out the other RBs, stay healthy, yada...yada...yada... and I say, why hope that all of these things can go right for the guy when there are other guys who have to face less obstacles to be a producer on your fantasy team. Because he stayed healthy for a month 2 seasons ago and put together a good stretch of games? His only good stretch in 5 seasons?

Like I said before, I hope he balls out. That means the Eagles will have a good season. But for fantasy purposes, I'm not rostering the guy.
I defer to your Eagles knowledge. Maybe splitting hairs, but “neither player is rosterable” is quite different than “I’m not rostering” a guy. I personally think Penny has looked incredible in short stints and is worth a dart throw. Very low floor, obviously.

defer to your Eagles knowledge. Maybe splitting hairs, but “neither player is rosterable” is quite different than “I’m not rostering” a guy. I personally think Penny has looked incredible in short stints and is worth a dart throw. Very low floor, obviously

Indeed. In deep leagues Penny is rostered.

I defer to your Eagles knowledge. Maybe splitting hairs, but “neither player is rosterable” is quite different than “I’m not rostering” a guy. I personally think Penny has looked incredible in short stints and is worth a dart throw. Very low floor, obviously.

In a 10 team league...he's a do not draft

In a 12 team league...I'm trying my hardest not to have to take the guy and I hope to have my RB stable nearly filled out by the time his ADP arrives

In a 14-16 team league...sure, you have to take shots.

His ADP is 109 (11.09 in a 10 team league).

He's absolutely draftable in the 16th round of a 10 team league, and will be gone much earlier than that.

Not by me. He's always hurt. He has a ton of competition for touches. His career high is 119 carries. Let someone else take him.
then say that, don't call him a 'do not draft'.

You wouldn't take a 10th round adp guy even in the 16th round? Damn.

He's absolutely draftable in the 16th round of a 10 team league, and will be gone much earlier than that.

Not by me. He's always hurt. He has a ton of competition for touches. His career high is 119 carries. Let someone else take him.

Now you're just quibbling over semantics. He's a "do not draft" by me. I won't draft the guy. Hate his durability. Hate his opportunity. There are too many other players in his ADP range that aren't injury risks and don't have the same competitive roadblocks he has. He needs way too many things to go right for him. After 5 years, when a guy shows you what he is, you either believe him or you don't. I believe him, he can't stay healthy.

If the guys ADP is round 10, he's not lasting to round 16. At least make a reasonable hypothetical. Damn.

Now you're just quibbling over semantics. He's a "do not draft" by me. I won't draft the guy. Hate his durability. Hate his opportunity. There are too many other players in his ADP range that aren't injury risks and don't have the same competitive roadblocks he has. He needs way too many things to go right for him. After 5 years, when a guy shows you what he is, you either believe him or you don't. I believe him, he can't stay healthy.

If the guys ADP is round 10, he's not lasting to round 16. At least make a reasonable hypothetical. Damn.
Alright, but again the guy is not a 'do not draft' for everyone. I suppose you can say at his adp you wouldn't take him. But you can say that about hundreds of players.

He's worth a late round flier imo.... he's that good when he's healthy.

Have some shares, but not going out of my way to draft Penny. Definitely better than DND in most formats.

Upside: Week 17 vs Arizona, start Penny in the flex. Like him as a fantasy lotto ticket.
Downside: He gets knocked out for the season (as usual) and move on to a waiver wire darling.

In a 12 team league...I'm trying my hardest not to have to take the guy and I hope to have my RB stable nearly filled out by the time his ADP arrives

I kind of wish you were in my league because I believe this is a really, really bad take.

That being said everyone's got an opinion and at this point nobody is right

Was just listening to the radio today. Elliot Shore-Parks and Reuben Franks (local media guys who cover the Eagles) were talking about the Eagles RB situation. Neither were high on Kenneth Gainwell, said the Eagles like him, but he hasn't really done anything with his opportunity outside the Giants playoff game after the Giants had already given up. That said, they expect both Gainwell and Boston Scott to be on the 53 man roster.

Then they began discussing Penny and Trey Sermon. They said, they view both of those guys as similar between the tackle runners. They went on that the Eagles liked Sermon enough to keep him on their roster all of last season, so they definitely see something in him. Then they said that he's younger, cheaper and healthier than Penny. They floated the idea that Penny may be the odd man out in the Eagles backfield and the Eagles may decide to go with Sermon as the 4th guy.

They didn't discuss Swift, probably because it's a lock he's on the 53 man (or they discussed him before I tuned in).

ETA: Penny only has $500k guaranteed so cost wouldn't be a factor if the Eagles cut him.

Was just listening to the radio today. Elliot Shore-Parks and Reuben Franks (local media guys who cover the Eagles) were talking about the Eagles RB situation. Neither were high on Kenneth Gainwell, said the Eagles like him, but he hasn't really done anything with his opportunity outside the Giants playoff game after the Giants had already given up. That said, they expect both Gainwell and Boston Scott to be on the 53 man roster.

Then they began discussing Penny and Trey Sermon. They said, they view both of those guys as similar between the tackle runners. They went on that the Eagles liked Sermon enough to keep him on their roster all of last season, so they definitely see something in him. Then they said that he's younger, cheaper and healthier than Penny. They floated the idea that Penny may be the odd man out in the Eagles backfield and the Eagles may decide to go with Sermon as the 4th guy.

They didn't discuss Swift, probably because it's a lock he's on the 53 man (or they discussed him before I tuned in).

ETA: Penny only has $500k guaranteed so cost wouldn't be a factor if the Eagles cut him.
damn, you really hate Penny lol.

I think there's almost no way Penny gets cut.

I kind of wish you were in my league because I believe this is a really, really bad take.

Sure thing. While you're wasting a pick on Penny only to cut him when he inevitably gets hurt, I'll be drafting Jamaal Williams in the same round or taking a flyer on someone like Jordan Mason in the last round waiting for a Christian McCaffrey injury. You know, guys who will actually be healthy to take advantage of their opportunity when it presents itself.

I'm just relaying information that ESP and Reuben discussed. it wasn't mine opinion, it was theirs.

I'm just relaying information that ESP and Reuben discussed. it wasn't mine opinion, it was theirs.
Listening to ESP is your first mistake lol

Sure thing. While you're wasting a pick on Penny only to cut him when he inevitably gets hurt, I'll be drafting Jamaal Williams in the same round or taking a flyer on someone like Jordan Mason in the last round waiting for a Christian McCaffrey injury. You know, guys who will actually be healthy to take advantage of their opportunity when it presents itself.

Elijah Mitchell on line 1?

Also this is what makes fantasy fun. I think you are out of your mind but what do i know :)

It wouldn't shock me either way if penny is hurt again or has a career year. Guy has had bad luck. But he's on the best team he's ever been on. Would love to have penny or swift as a mid rb dart throw. Could be huge

Wow is this guy a sleeper this year. Especially true in Best Ball and Flex (3 starting RB) formats where you can take both him and Swift super late after going Hero RB and QB/WRs early.

Injuries have been and remain a major concern. But when given opportunity across multiple seasons and scenarios, Rashaad Penny has been an unequivocal stud RB. And now he's on the Eagles. What?

I'll take the 32, 36, 41, 47 and 62 yard TDs all day long. Shows how explosive he is

As far as the short TDs, he shared the backfield with a healthy Chris Carson his first two years, who got most of the goal-line action. Missed almost the entire 2020 season, so toss that out. Had 6 TDs on only 119 carries in 2021 and then a couple on 57 carries last year. Not worried at all about TD rate if he stays "fully healthy" which is the assumption we have been working on.

Just don't see a reason he wouldn't be the guy on the field in close this year, IF he stays healthy.

Penny is 230 lbs after losing weight this offseason, compared to 235+ last year. How much do Swift and (LOL) Gainwell weigh, comparatively? The only G/L vulture equivalent to Carson, if there is one on the Eagles this year, is Jalen Hurts.

Rashaad's Injury 'Guide' -

Very High Risk - Why? He is 27 yrs old. This is historical bias and nothing more. Valid, some, but 91%?!?

Chance of Injury in 2023​

91%
% chance misses at least 2 quarters

Chance of Injury per Game​

13.2%
1- 17√1-% Inj/Season

Projected Games Missed 2023​

Durability​

Ability to produce despite relatively minor injuries. 5 being most durable
Injury analysis powered by Draft Sharks Injury Guide, formerly
SIP Logo

Injury History​

DateLeagueInjuryDetails
Aug 13, 2018NFLHand Finger FracturePenny broke the pointer finger on his left hand in practice on August 13th. He had surgery on the 15th but was ready for the start of the season.
Dec 10, 2018NFLKnee Strain Grade 1Penny missed 2 games with a knee injury.
Sep 20, 2019NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2Penny injured his hamstring during practice ahead of Week 3 game vs the Saints. He missed two games. He was listed as inactive Week 6 against Cleveland with the same injury.
Dec 8, 2019NFLKnee ACL Tear Grade 3Penny tore his ACL during the game against the Rams. He was ruled out for the rest of the 2019 season
Jan 8, 2021NFLKnee Strain Grade 1Penny missed a wild card contest against the Rams due to a knee injury.
Sep 12, 2021NFLLeg Calf StrainPenny injured his left calf during Week 1's game at Indianapolis. He missed five games
Nov 21, 2021NFLThigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1Penny suffered a hamstring injury in Week 11's loss to the Cardinals. He missed one game
Oct 9, 2022NFLLeg Tibia FracturePenny went down in the 3rd quarter of Week 5 at New Orleans. He also sustained a syndesmotic ligament tear and a deltoid ligament tear, per team doctors.

List is ugly. You know what isn't? His redraft cost of acquisition this draft season. And also, the above list doesn't have a single injury that is career threatening. And his latest injury is remarkable similar to Tony Pollard's whose health virtually no one is questioning.

Full Opinion: I really like Pollard too, but not at all as comfortable with his 180 degree ADP.

I'm not predicting Penny will be a top-5 RB, or that he will win your league with your 15th round pick. But I am predicting he could.

Looking at a backfield that might be a 3-4 headed monster makes it tough to get excited about any of these backs. Especially hard with tush push Hurts getting automatic short yardage TDs. Uncertainly often results in low ADP. Hell, some people have been saying Penny wouldn’t make the 53 man roster.

Best ball leagues, agree with you. Nice opportunity to roster 1 or 2 of these RB. Hard to imagine there won’t be some nice boom weeks. I have shares of Swift, Penny and Gainwell in best ball. Potential is there with a juicy matchup week 17 when championships are won.

I think this post could be summed up as:

'I know the Eagles more than you, but my actual main gripe is yada yada yada, Penny, who has never been an Eagle until just recently, absolutely cannot and will not stay healthy.' Perhaps the injury odds and Gods are with you. I am not so sure.

You should look into Penny's career efficiency and productivity metrics. On a per play basis, dude has been beyond impressive. Luck has not been his friend, however. Maybe the Universe hates him. Or maybe he's due for a mean regression on the injury front.

I think this post could be summed up as:

'I know the Eagles more than you, but my actual main gripe is yada yada yada, Penny, who has never been an Eagle until just recently, absolutely cannot and will not stay healthy.' Perhaps the injury odds and Gods are with you. I am not so sure.

You should look into Penny's career efficiency and productivity metrics. On a per play basis, dude has been beyond impressive. Luck has not been his friend, however. Maybe the Universe hates him. Or maybe he's due for a mean regression on the injury front.

I'm just looking at the information we have and processing it.

1. Penny has not been able to stay healthy. His career high in carries is 119. There are unlucky injuries and players who's bodies are just not capable of taking the week to week pounding of the NFL. I'm putting Penny in the latter group. The best ability is availability.

2. Penny is one-dimensional. Penny isn't a threat to catch the ball out of the back-field. That lack of diversity will not be his friend as the Eagles are looking to involve the backs in the passing game more this season.

3. Penny is buried on the depth chart. Throughout training camp, Kenneth Gainwell was seeing a majority of the reps with the 1st team specialty units (goal line, 3rd down, etc.) and Swift was seeing the rest of the 1st team reps. Reports are that the Eagles have Swift split out of the backfield a lot so they're looking at getting him in space. Scott was seeing mostly second team reps. From that information, I'd say the Eagles are really working Gainwell and Swift into their gameplan. Penny on the other hand was getting all the 3rd team reps with Trey Sermon in camp. The Eagles cut all their KR/PR people, but have used Boston Scott in the KR role in the past and Devonta Smith in PR. If I'm a betting man, the 3 backs dressed on Sunday's will be Swift, Gainwell and Scott. With Swift and Gainwell splitting a majority of the reps on offense and Scott being used on special teams. Then, should one of Swift or Gainwell gets hurt, at best Penny will be splitting reps with the remaining healthy backs and may still be behind Boston Scott if an injury did occur. But even if the stars aligned and the Eagles decided to give Penny a bulk of the reps if an injury happened, because of the information in #1, I think his value is limited at best.

My position is, I hope Penny has a career year and stays healthy and sets a career high in carries and yard per carry. He's part of the birdgang now and I'm rooting for him. However, I wouldn't draft any of the Eagles RBs because I think the usage is going to be split too many ways. I was all over Alvin Kamara when his ADP was in the 9th round. Now that his ADP has jumped up, if I was to draft a Eagles RB pair it would be Swift and Gainwell, not Penny. Too many red flags with Penny and the way the reps have been going in camp, Swift and Gainwell seem like the better pair to own.

Users who are viewing this thread