What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (1 Viewer)

Nah. I bet it's a split backfield, with both Sermon and Mitchell contributing as solid RB#2. Mitchell is faster than Sermon, but Sermon is a better runner. Any Mitchell or Sermon owner hoping their guy get the majority of touches is engaging in wishful thinking. 
Maybe.  I’m just worried sermon will not be startable as a flex play in bye weeks with Mitchell back there.  Td dependent.  Entirely.  IM holding, but I hate it.  

Maybe.  I’m just worried sermon will not be startable as a flex play in bye weeks with Mitchell back there.  Td dependent.  Entirely.  IM holding, but I hate it.  
Oh I hear you. I would hold on Sermon, but I wouldn't be excited to start either player once Mitchell returns. I'd want to see them play a game together before I considered playing them again. 

Oh I hear you. I would hold on Sermon, but I wouldn't be excited to start either player once Mitchell returns. I'd want to see them play a game together before I considered playing them again. 
Agree. But I wish I had Mitchell.  If he was healthy.  Sermon looked pretty bad imo.  But, must hold.  

Optimistic Sermon owner here, but ... we have seen them play a game together ...

Nah. I bet it's a split backfield, with both Sermon and Mitchell contributing as solid RB#2. Mitchell is faster than Sermon, but Sermon is a better runner. Any Mitchell or Sermon owner hoping their guy get the majority of touches is engaging in wishful thinking. 
Being a better runner is meaningless if you don't know the playbook.

If Mitchell is healthy Sermon will be RB2.

Shanny will absolutely favor the RB that allows him to run the full offense.

Sermon clearly isn't ready for that yet. 0 targets, did he even run a route? That's highly limiting to an offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mitchell is healthy Sermon will be RB2.

Shanny will absolutely favor the RB that allows him to run the full offense.

Sermon clearly isn't ready for that yet. 0 targets, did he even run a route? That's highly limiting to an offense.
Sermon has more targets on the year (3) than Mitchell (2).

Both have played in 2 games.

I don’t disagree that Sermon may not be the guy, but I wouldn’t use routes and targets as my data point.

I expect this to be a timeshare and a coin flip for who holds value each week… making them hard to start.

Sermon has more targets on the year (3) than Mitchell (2).

Both have played in 2 games.

I don’t disagree that Sermon may not be the guy, but I wouldn’t use routes and targets as my data point.

I expect this to be a timeshare and a coin flip for who holds value each week… making them hard to start.
 I honestly don't know where people find routes run stats but according to FBG Mitchell played 69% & 61% of snaps in his two games, Sermon played 59% & 51%. In week 2 when they were both active Sermon played 1% of snaps.

Someone here has the routes run stats. I'm open to being wrong considering I have Sermon and not Mitchell in my redraft.

It will be interesting to see if Sermon is more effective with Lance starting this week.  I seem to recall reading that RPO plays were one of Sermon's strengths coming out,  but I can't seem to find anything on it now. 

I know I'm repeating myself, and no way am I starting Sermon this week, but I predict Sermon and Mitchell both finish as solid RB2 Sunday.

Can't trust him anymore. Don't really want any piece of Shanny's offense at all with all his antics.
This isn't on Shanahan, Mitchell and Juszczyk we're the main backs in a game plan designed to feature their QBs running ability.

Sermon clearly seems to be able to run the ball well. Do we think Shanahan doesn't want to feature a strong runner because Shanahan is stupid? To spite Sermon? What is the argument for why Sermon should be featured? Our eyeball test? Come on.

If he is a talented as we hope the only reason Shanahan wouldn't feature him is because he hasn't figured out the play book yet. That doesn't mean he never will, only that if hadn't happened yet. Maybe tomorrow it will all click into place, but redraft owners shouldn't count on that and if there is a better waiver wire option or trade opportunity they should take it.

Dynasty, of course is a different animal.

Trey Sermon rushed one time for seven yards in the 49ers' Week 5 loss to the Cardinals. 

Coming off his best touch and production totals of the season, Sermon was banished to reserve status as Elijah Mitchell returned from injury and dual-threat Trey Lance made his first start. It was Lance who led the Niners in every rushing category. For his part, Mitchell out-touched Sermon 11-1. Things change fast in the Niners' backfield, while impatient coach Kyle Shanahan now has a bye week to think about it. We would nevertheless consider Sermon out of the FLEX loop when the 49ers face the Colts in Week 7. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Might be time to drop Sermon for a better use of the roster spot.  Can't see as he is any better an option to lots of other backup RBs on teams.

Could have stashed him on my dynasty taxi squad before the season, but I put Lance there instead.  So now he's tying up an active-roster spot. Ugh.

Could have stashed him on my dynasty taxi squad before the season, but I put Lance there instead.  So now he's tying up an active-roster spot. Ugh.
In one dynasty league I have Sermon on my active roster ("active" being a very loose term in Sermon's case), Mostert and Wilson on IR, and I STILL don’t have the 9ers starting RB on my roster as he was sniped one pick ahead of me in the 3rd round rookie draft. But what kind of idiot rosters 4 RBs from the same team? Well, would’ve been this guy ;)  

Honestly, im more concerned about SF run game than sermon not playing. They just aren’t as dominant as I expected this year. This isn’t the unit that made every no name running back a stud in the past. I drafted thinking both mostert and sermon would be startable like chubb and hunt but it seems the upside is gone no matter who runs.

Hey guys, last time Sermon and Mitchell both played, Mitchell had to get injured for Sermon to get his 1 carry. This time I think it was almost a voluntary decision to give him the carry! 🏆

There really is no reason to expect much from sermon at this point other than holding onto pre-season hopes that have already been proven wrong. 

We are coming to that conclusion already?

I can't blame anyone who wants to wait and see with mostert going down, but at the same time some people just can't admit they might have wasted a draft pick.  Not enough bench spots in my league for practice squad scrubs who are third or fourth on the depth chart. (I know he is technically active now). 

Yeah, in redrafts where I need the space I'll be dropping him.   I'd still be scooping in dynasty.

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Gilroy34 said:
Yep, dropped him for McNichols

I've been adding him everywhere, gets a ton of targets

absolutely no plans to utilize either McNichols or Sermon but if there's one thing I've learned in FF, it's that you can never have too many RB lottery tickets 

Yeah I dropped him in two leagues. Could come back to bite me but with as many injuries as there are, I think some are closer to emerging so will keep monitoring sermon and scoop him up if others don’t pan out.

Need to win every week and not just the ones 3-4 weeks later. Waldman keeps on praising and defending the guy. He could emerge, but when you need wins now…

he and Mitchell play special teams while Sermon does not

but that was the week 1 excuse, don't be thinking you know what Shanny will do

I have been correctly telling everyone what Shanny will do since week 1, we know Hasty is above Sermon on the depth chart, and Wilson will be too when he comes back. 

There have not been any Shannigans going on, just people who have refused to believe the truth that was being told to them and continue with their own pre-draft fantasies. 

Traded him straight up for Thielen in dynasty last week and trying to move him in one more. I’m just done with SF backfield.

BINGBING said:
Between Aiyuk and Sermon it feels like Shanny is trying to undermine John Lynch's draft picks.
I was eluding to this in the game thread and think @Grigs Allmoon might have not understood what i was implying. I was actually saying Kyle is hanging himself doing this but to your point, yes something is being told to Ownership when you want to play the 6th rounder but the team traded up to fill the same position in the 3rd round and that was after a number of other names were already on the roster. RB is a major part of Shanahan's offense, can't emphasize it enough but something is playing out here and I hate to be this way but I tend ot side with Lynch who I think has done a tremendous job of drafting with input from Shanahan. They went to a Super Bowl together but since then things are not working out so well. 

I enjoy Grigs posts so I wanted to invite him into the conversation and clear up my thoughts from the game thread. Also it was Sunday and I was sipping/drinking and didn't want to try and explain it. 

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread