What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty'son Williams, BAL (1 Viewer)

You have that backwards.

I traded Williams away because of these opinions. I didn’t form them because I traded him away.

I saw what everyone else did on MNF & couldn’t float offers fast enough. He appeared to blow protection multiple times, the offense was dumbed down, and he seemed to get benched for Murray for the rest of the game (Murray had 6 or 7 straight touches + the TD).

my only “bias” was seeing an inexperienced players weakness amplified on the big stage & making a play for my handcuff before the bottom fell out. 👍🏼
You are grossly exaggerating what happened in that game to fit your narrative, that's all I'll say.

I actually have Murray in 3 leagues (was a handcuff for my Kamara) and just added Williams in one on waivers. Unless something seriously goes wrong I won' be relying on either. Murray running away with the job would be better for me but I just don't see that happening. There's practically zero chance Bell/Freeman see 30% of the touches without an injury to Murray or Williams.

Anyway I won't go back and forth on this - Week 2 is on the horizon. We'll see.

I wouldn’t bet on either of them with your $. 

lol

But I would wager that Harbaugh is going to run out the RBs that allow him to run his offense while protecting his QB. 

Unfortunately for Ty’son Williams shareholders, that doesn’t appear to be him. 

Time will tell. I’m planting no flags here - just best-guessing along with the rest of y’all.  I’m just trying to take a mile-high approach to it rather than put each player under the microscope. I would also wager that Harbaugh cares less about PFF grades and more about keeping LJax off the IR, while allowing him to run the offense he wants. If that means running out a slower, less dynamic RB to open up that RPO, I’d bet he would do that.

Gonna be interesting to see how they approach it. 
You seem to be combining pass protection with running the RPO when they're really different things. The Ravens don't use their RBs to pass protect very much, and despite the not so great block attempt from Williams, he's generally seen as decent at it. He also spent a year on their practice squad, so you'd have to assume he worked on running the RPO. He did fine with it during the preseason, this may be more about lack of chemistry between he and Lamar since they didn't have any preseason game reps together.

Williams has been praised by the coaches for his abilities including pass protecting so it's premature to write him off as unable. The Ravens, more than any other team IMO, need a RB with juice in order to run the RPO- you can't keep handing the ball off to a guy who can't squeeze through the hole quickly, and none of the current 3 have much/any juice left IMO.

You are grossly exaggerating what happened in that game to fit your narrative, that's all I'll say.
not in the slightest. What a preposterous thing to say. 

I watched the game, formed an opinion & made a trade.

your conjecture doesn’t change that. You’re projecting that to fit your narrative. And that’s all ii’ll say. 
:rolleyes:  

You seem to be combining pass protection with running the RPO when they're really different things.
I’m well aware that these are two different things. 

they’re two things the Ravens need out of their RBs to run their offense. 

they are two things Williams failed to execute well. 

I hope that clears up your confusion about my points. I thought I was clear - apologies if not. 

The Ravens, more than any other team IMO, need a RB with juice in order to run the RPO- you can't keep handing the ball off to a guy who can't squeeze through the hole quickly, and none of the current 3 have much/any juice left IMO.
the RPO concepts they run mostly involve runs/sweeps to the outside. The QB can 1. Pass, 2. Pitch it out, or 3. Keep the ball & QB run.

Running into a pile & squeezing through a hole isn’t really what that’s about from what I’ve seen of the Ravens RPO. 
:confused:

Ok, that’s enough Ty’son Williams for me. 

best of luck, shareholders. I’d recommend selling high, because that backfield is a mess & likely to get messier.

Maybe I’m off-base, but I saw enough on MNF to cut bait. 

Hope things work out for y’all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot Sauce Guy said:
the RPO concepts they run mostly involve runs/sweeps to the outside. The QB can 1. Pass, 2. Pitch it out, or 3. Keep the ball & QB run.

Running into a pile & squeezing through a hole isn’t really what that’s about from what I’ve seen of the Ravens RPO. 
:confused:
Yes, you are confused. Lamar will sometimes take it to the outside when he keeps, but the RBs are usually running up the middle in the Ravens offense (see both rushing TDs last week).

No one said anything about running into a pile (although Murray did lots of that last week), but of course running through a hole is kind of important for RBs in all systems, including the Ravens.

No one said anything about running into a pile (although Murray did lots of that last week), but of course running through a hole is kind of important for RBs in all systems, including the Ravens.
you said “squeezing through a hole”, which isn’t something that happens on runs to the outside.

bur whatever. Ive spent enough time on the Ty’son Williams thread. Best of luck to you. 

The fact that there is this much conjecture over 4 backs pretty much dictates that no single one will be fantasy relevant on any specific week in which you may need them.  Also, if these are the guys we are relying on to help our teams, then ugh..  In redraft ok, but for dynasty.. oof.

Bell's style doesn't jibe with BAL.  Murrays and Williams do.  I'm assuming Bell can still catch the ball so I'm giving him some credit here. I'm assuming he's also still excellent on blocking/picking up the blitz.

Williams and Murray on 1st and 2nd down and short yardage.  Bell and Murray on 3rd and long obvious passing plays. 

Boone22 said:
Freeman called up before Bell. So either they like Freeman more or Bell was out of shape. 
Freeman and Murray had full camps, so I guess they don’t think Bell is ready yet

Anyone know if there's a cutup of all of his snaps? I couldn't find anything. I watched via redzone so I didn't get to see any of his pass pro other than the Nassib strip sack at the end.

I won't quote the whole article but this is what Waldman had to say about his Pass Pro:

The Gut Check No.545: MNF Film Review: Ravens RBs and WR Bryan Edwards - Matt Waldman

Williams' pass protection was not nearly as bad as the reactions you're going to see — many of the ones you'll read will be fantasy football news blurbs gleaned from instant reactions like mine on social media.

Williams was the only back used as a blocker.

Even so, he had only three pass-pro opportunities.

He handled two of the three opportunities effectively when considering the pressure package and assignment.

While Williams gave up a sack late in the game, the design of the pressure was so good that it deserves more credit than bashing Williams for the late pick-up of the eventual sacker. I break this down in the video below.

Williams showed more promise as a pass protector than most will characterize.

Ty'son Williams is an unproven talent that got thrust from rb3 to rb1 pretty much instantaneously.  He had a few miss ques in the game and the Ravens embarrassed themselves in that loss.  There was a couple miss handles and that one fumble, as well as that strip sack that he was 25% responsible for(mainly assign blame to A.Villanueva).  Jim Harbaugh is pissed off and not going to give this guy the job out right.  Especially after signing three long term established veteran running backs.  He has to publicly say they will get an opportunity because otherwise they wouldn't have signed.  As well as the Ravens actually do need to try them all out, as they will need other bodies to handle snaps. Unless your AP or Frank Gore RB is a young mans game, all three guys they signed are on their last leg. 

T.Williams passes the eye test to me, he's fast and explosive which none of the other available backs are. We have been hearing raving reviews all summer from teammates, when he was still considered the rb3/4.  He showed the big lights weren't too much for him even though he had some mistakes. Not to mention his looks in the passing game week 1 far exceeded my hopes and think he will see lots of targets moving forward.  I think he will be given the opportunity to command the Dobbins role and the other three battle it out for Edward's share of the backfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
you said “squeezing through a hole”, which isn’t something that happens on runs to the outside.

bur whatever. Ive spent enough time on the Ty’son Williams thread. Best of luck to you. 
That's nice, but like I said, the Ravens typically run their RBs up the middle, which does require hitting the hole quickly. No idea why you seem to think they run primarily to the outside but they don't. 

I know this backfield is a mess but I added T Williams to my roster anyway.   Murray is going to receive plenty of work but hopefully Williams gets 50% of the carries.  

If you produce, you play.   I don’t know how this will work out but I’m happy to have a chip on Tyson.  Will be a fun situation to watch….

Love what I saw from him and glad to have him on a couple squads. He got Lamar killed on one blitz and was in the wrong spot on at least 2 other RPO plays. I imagine he will improve on those mistakes and continue to lead the backfield. But I thought Murray looked terrible in the first half. Like he did in the preseason for the Saints. But he looked much better in the 2nd half while Williams was making mistakes. At this point I am probably thinking of selling for anything decent.

"Ty’Son Williams looked the part of a starting NFL RB in week one against Las Vegas. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on multiple instances and he was second in the NFL last week in Breakaway Yards, despite having only nine total rush attempts. The Chiefs are notably a tougher run defense to face, but they just surrendered four rushing touchdowns to the Browns in week one. Williams should see enough work in this one to return low-end RB2 value and he has upside based on what he showed us on the field against the Raiders. Latavius Murray saw plenty of work last week, but he was woefully inefficient with his opportunity. He was on the field in key situations down the stretch, but this was most likely due to his veteran understanding of pass protection. He could steal some work away from Williams again this week, but it won’t be enough to put him on the redraft radar just yet. " Kyle Yates, FantasyPros.

"Ty’Son Williams looked the part of a starting NFL RB in week one against Las Vegas. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on multiple instances and he was second in the NFL last week in Breakaway Yards, despite having only nine total rush attempts. The Chiefs are notably a tougher run defense to face, but they just surrendered four rushing touchdowns to the Browns in week one. Williams should see enough work in this one to return low-end RB2 value and he has upside based on what he showed us on the field against the Raiders. Latavius Murray saw plenty of work last week, but he was woefully inefficient with his opportunity. He was on the field in key situations down the stretch, but this was most likely due to his veteran understanding of pass protection. He could steal some work away from Williams again this week, but it won’t be enough to put him on the redraft radar just yet. " Kyle Yates, FantasyPros.
Yes, that is the bottom line. Yes, a few exchanges between Williams and Jackson were less than smooth - but they have not worked together yet and the reps will come. It's intellectually dishonest, to think that Williams can't run the RPO though, since the Ravens carried him all last season and into this season. It seems obvious that they don't think he's a bad fit for their offense.  If the team thought he wasn't a fit, I'm guessing they wouldn't have exclusively gone shopping in the AARP section for help at RB.

The missed block was bad but that happens when a RB is left alone to block an elite pass rusher and it seems unlikely that will be held against him to the point that the obviously best runner on the team will get benched for a pair of washed out RBs.

This is the most run heavy offense in the league so even if it was a 50/40/10 split with Murray as the lead (which is possible, I admit), Williams would still have value. However it's fairly obvious that Williams is the teams best bet for success on the ground - outside of Lamar - so to think guys like Bell or Freeman will get the same amount or work as him seems far fetched.

The missed block was bad but that happens when a RB is left alone to block an elite pass rusher and it seems unlikely that will be held against him to the point that the obviously best runner on the team will get benched for a pair of washed out RBs.
We're just armchair pundits, but the thing that stood out on that play is not that he didn't pick up the block, but that he didn't show a lot of effort in doing so.

At the end of the day, we don't see or know what the coaching staff does - and are laser focused on him from a fantasy standpoint - so we are probably missing some pieces of the puzzle.

We're just armchair pundits, but the thing that stood out on that play is not that he didn't pick up the block, but that he didn't show a lot of effort in doing so.

At the end of the day, we don't see or know what the coaching staff does - and are laser focused on him from a fantasy standpoint - so we are probably missing some pieces of the puzzle.
Sure - it's surely in the realm of possibilities that Williams will be benched (or at least see a decline in usage) due to that effort - and by no means am I trying to say none of his mistakes will be held against him. Sometimes coaches do in fact choose the safer route at the expense of explosiveness - I just think eventually talent wins out though.

Sure - it's surely in the realm of possibilities that Williams will be benched (or at least see a decline in usage) due to that effort - and by no means am I trying to say none of his mistakes will be held against him. Sometimes coaches do in fact choose the safer route at the expense of explosiveness - I just think eventually talent wins out though.
The Ravens will be in plenty of games where they are out front from start to finish.  Williams will get his sea legs during these situations.  They will likely stick to trusted veterans in close games or comeback attempts.

People continue to take the wrong message home when someone like Williams has a 100 yard game. The Ravens didn't find a hidden star. It just doesn't really matter who the RB is. 95% or more of RBs on NFL rosters would have put up similar numbers. With that being the case, you can get benched real easy for blowing blocks 

If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd bet that both Williams and Murray have flex value all year and that Bell and Freeman will be droppable in all formats. Neither Williams or Murray is a premiere talent, but I think they'll get enough touches in a committee to sustain value. 

If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd bet that both Williams and Murray have flex value all year and that Bell and Freeman will be droppable in all formats. Neither Williams or Murray is a premiere talent, but I think they'll get enough touches in a committee to sustain value. 

Well I'm not a big betting man.  But I agree with what you said.  And I'm not crazy about it.  I have both Williams and Murray and want there to be one who is primary.  This might be one of those things that drive us crazy all year.  This week not risking it gonna play Higgins in my flex and take a wait and see on this situation.

Well I'm not a big betting man.  But I agree with what you said.  And I'm not crazy about it.  I have both Williams and Murray and want there to be one who is primary.  This might be one of those things that drive us crazy all year.  This week not risking it gonna play Higgins in my flex and take a wait and see on this situation.

See this is something worth discussing: how many true bellcow RBs are there? Five? Almost every NFL backfield is a timeshare. So I'm fine with owning shares of Murray or Williams.

Drunken Cowboy said:
People continue to take the wrong message home when someone like Williams has a 100 yard game. The Ravens didn't find a hidden star. It just doesn't really matter who the RB is. 95% or more of RBs on NFL rosters would have put up similar numbers. With that being the case, you can get benched real easy for blowing blocks 
AKA there’s a reason Williams was 4th on the depth chart. 

There’s also a reason Murray had been trusted to a big role on the Saints every year until this one, where he wasn’t cut fit performance, but for 💰

It feels like folks might be making a bit of a false equivalence between the talent of these two backs (inc. pass pro, nuanced knowledge of football concepts/learning an expanded playbook, experience, etc) Vs the opportunity these two backs have.

They both have the same opportunity,  but Murray did a lot of things Williams didn’t/couldn’t do, allowing the Ravens to count on him for a more expanded role. 

I would get it if this were about Williams Vs Bell or Williams Vs Freeman, because both those guys looked pretty washed the last time I saw them play. 

But Williams Vs Murray would seem to favor Murray by a fair amount. That’s who I’d be running out there if I were the Ravens. Magical football favors Williams, while RL football favors Murray. 

Time will tell if that’s what they do. Williams looked pretty good, considering his inexperience. Had good burst. Broke a leg-tackle or 2 on the TD run. But that’s about the whole list of what he showed.

Murray seems like a more complete player at the moment. I’d bet that the Ravens think so too. This week should be instructive.

IMO the “sell high” window on Williams in redraft is closing. Dynasty he’s a wait and see. 

AKA there’s a reason Williams was 4th on the depth chart. 

There’s also a reason Murray had been trusted to a big role on the Saints every year until this one, where he wasn’t cut fit performance, but for 💰

It feels like folks might be making a bit of a false equivalence between the talent of these two backs (inc. pass pro, nuanced knowledge of football concepts/learning an expanded playbook, experience, etc) Vs the opportunity these two backs have.

They both have the same opportunity,  but Murray did a lot of things Williams didn’t/couldn’t do, allowing the Ravens to count on him for a more expanded role. 

I would get it if this were about Williams Vs Bell or Williams Vs Freeman, because both those guys looked pretty washed the last time I saw them play. 

But Williams Vs Murray would seem to favor Murray by a fair amount. That’s who I’d be running out there if I were the Ravens. Magical football favors Williams, while RL football favors Murray. 

Time will tell if that’s what they do. Williams looked pretty good, considering his inexperience. Had good burst. Broke a leg-tackle or 2 on the TD run. But that’s about the whole list of what he showed.

Murray seems like a more complete player at the moment. I’d bet that the Ravens think so too. This week should be instructive.

IMO the “sell high” window on Williams in redraft is closing. Dynasty he’s a wait and see. 
The reason he was 3rd (not 4th) on the depth chart was because he had 2 very good RBs in front of him. It wasn't because of his pass blocking, which I've already pointed that he's been praised for by the coaches and they Ravens don't have their RBs pass block very often at all- only 3 times in the entire game last week, and you guessed it, it was Williams doing the blocking all 3 times.

You're also wrong about Murray IMO- he was cut for the combination of money AND performance. Since he had lost the #2 spot to an UDFA, they no longer wanted to pay their #3 guy much money so they sent him packing.

IMO you're seeing what you want to see here- Murray is 31 years old (will be 32 in January), lost the #2 role and was cut in NO, then was signed by Baltimore along with 3 other RBs when their RB room got decimated by injuries. Since he was in a camp, it's entirely possible that they brought him in mainly because he was the most "ready" to play and they needed someone to play right away.

Like I said earlier, it's possible he's slightly out of shape, or hesitant due to not knowing the playbook or something so maybe he'll improve, but he gave them next to nothing last week other than a "veteran presence". There's no way they're going to go through the season giving him meaningful carries if he keeps plodding like he did last week. Heck, the promotion of Freeman from the practice squad may say more about their feelings towards Murray than anything else.

The reason he was 3rd (not 4th) on the depth chart was because he had 2 very good RBs in front of him. It wasn't because of his pass blocking, which I've already pointed that he's been praised for by the coaches and they Ravens don't have their RBs pass block very often at all- only 3 times in the entire game last week, and you guessed it, it was Williams doing the blocking all 3 times.

You're also wrong about Murray IMO- he was cut for the combination of money AND performance. Since he had lost the #2 spot to an UDFA, they no longer wanted to pay their #3 guy much money so they sent him packing.

IMO you're seeing what you want to see here- Murray is 31 years old (will be 32 in January), lost the #2 role and was cut in NO, then was signed by Baltimore along with 3 other RBs when their RB room got decimated by injuries. Since he was in a camp, it's entirely possible that they brought him in mainly because he was the most "ready" to play and they needed someone to play right away.

Like I said earlier, it's possible he's slightly out of shape, or hesitant due to not knowing the playbook or something so maybe he'll improve, but he gave them next to nothing last week other than a "veteran presence". There's no way they're going to go through the season giving him meaningful carries if he keeps plodding like he did last week. Heck, the promotion of Freeman from the practice squad may say more about their feelings towards Murray than anything else.
Gave them next to nothing, and a touchdown.

He was behind Dobbins, Gus Edwards, & justice hill.

I count 4th. :shrug:  

Point of fact: He made the 53 & they offered him a chance to stay with a pay cut. He declined to accept it. 

Time will tell. IMO they will use Freeman as a receiver, further limiting Williams’ value.

i’m hardly “seeing what I want to see” - I wanted to see a breakout game by a talented young RB, giving my redraft team depth.

what I saw was a quick & talented but very raw RB, who lacked peripherals needed to take hold of the job, and who appeared to get benched for blowing pass pro. 

Again, this week will be telling. Good luck to the TyWill owners. 

Point of fact: He made the 53 & they offered him a chance to stay with a pay cut. He declined to accept it. 

Time will tell. IMO they will use Freeman as a receiver, further limiting Williams’ value.

i’m hardly “seeing what I want to see” - I wanted to see a breakout game by a talented young RB, giving my redraft team depth.

what I saw was a quick & talented but very raw RB, who lacked peripherals needed to take hold of the job, and who appeared to get benched for blowing pass pro. 

You dropped this… ‘

I rewatched the game and noticed at around 9:00 in the fourth quarter, Ty’Son took a mean shot to the head from Jonathan Abrams.  He then got up and immediately ran off the field. 4-5 plays later Murray ran in his TD.  Murray’s only impressive run of the game. 

Williams ended up coming back in at around a three minute mark and then played in overtime, but the ravens just did not run the ball very much in the second half.  

Ty’Son’s one poor read option exchange that left Jackson on the ground and multiple poor attempts in pass pro is what I’d be worried about as a coach, but he looks better than Murray and better than I anticipated in every other facet of the game.  

Will be interesting to see how workload is distributed going forward. I’m not starting Murray or Williams until we get a better read. (I don’t own any Freeman.)

I rewatched the game and noticed at around 9:00 in the fourth quarter, Ty’Son took a mean shot to the head from Jonathan Abrams.  He then got up and immediately ran off the field. 4-5 plays later Murray ran in his TD.  Murray’s only impressive run of the game. 

Williams ended up coming back in at around a three minute mark and then played in overtime, but the ravens just did not run the ball very much in the second half.  

Ty’Son’s one poor read option exchange that left Jackson on the ground and multiple poor attempts in pass pro is what I’d be worried about as a coach, but he looks better than Murray and better than I anticipated in every other facet of the game.  

Will be interesting to see how workload is distributed going forward. I’m not starting Murray or Williams until we get a better read. (I don’t own any Freeman.)
I noticed that during the game, and maybe even commented on it in the game thread. He got his bell rung and got up fine but sort of shook his head.

When he didn’t come back out, I figured we’d hear about him being tested for concussion… not that it was that bad, just that the head shake and Murray coming in made me fear the worst.

Either way. I panicked at the end of that game that he’d be less involved moving forward and traded Williams away to ”upgrade” at WR on a very WR needy redraft team.

the only area where I thought he looked better was his burst. He has young man’s legs for sure.

While I liked what I saw in this limited sample size, my concern is that there are other facets to the game we wouldn’t necessarily see on the field.

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out. I am rooting for the kid. It’s always great to see a young dude who wasn’t supposed to get this sort of opportunity come in & get it done. I’m not sure he’s going to do it, but I am rooting for it to happen. 

It’s been pointed out 30 times that Williams missed the block on the Ravens last offensive series of the game - so how did he get benched for that? Answer, he did not unless he doesn’t play in Week 2.

It’s been pointed out 30 times that Williams missed the block on the Ravens last offensive series of the game - so how did he get benched for that? Answer, he did not unless he doesn’t play in Week 2.
Also wasn’t really his fault. OL was terrible and that was definitely a missed assignment. 

No coach in their right mind would design a play like that having him block Nassib

Gave them next to nothing, and a touchdown.
Yep, on what might have been the slowest 8 yard TD run in history. IMO very high likelihood that Williams (and most RBs) would have scored on that play vs. very little chance Murray would have had scored on Williams'.

Zero targets, zero pass blocks, zero long runs, a failed 4th and 1 attempt, and a 2.8 ypc on the night. Next to nothing.

Hill was going to be their 3rd down RB, Williams wasn't behind him.

You said Murray wasn't cut due to performance- do you think the reason they asked him to take a pay cut was because he performed great? Of course not, they decided they'd rather take a cap hit to get rid of him and get nothing in return than to pay him a relatively modest salary. Logic dictates that they didn't like what they were seeing and had no plans to keep him in his role from previous seasons.

Yes, time will tell. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes or how this will play out, it just seems clear as day that you are looking at this through very biased lenses, hoping that you're proven "right" by trading him away. Some of your "arguments" are just plain false.

Hill was going to be their 3rd down RB, Williams wasn't behind him.

You said Murray wasn't cut due to performance- do you think the reason they asked him to take a pay cut was because he performed great? Of course not, they decided they'd rather take a cap hit to get rid of him and get nothing in return than to pay him a relatively modest salary. Logic dictates that they didn't like what they were seeing and had no plans to keep him in his role from previous seasons.

Yes, time will tell. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes or how this will play out, it just seems clear as day that you are looking at this through very biased lenses, hoping that you're proven "right" by trading him away. Some of your "arguments" are just plain false.
I think the reason they asked him to take a pay cut was because Jones showed well In the preseason & they wanted to save $.

To my eye, he didn’t look any worse on MNF than he did in NOLA. 

what you think is incorrect I see as opinion. My arguments aren’t “false” - you disagree with them.

And that’s ok. Good luck to you. 

Looks like thunder and lightning with Williams being the big play guy and Murray being the plodder. 
Yep. I’m interested to see if Freeman is used, and just purely out of curiosity, if Bell makes it off the practice squad. I agree with others that Bell is both washed, and a poor fit for that team, but i’ve been wrong before. 

Think he's OK to start given the game script in that the RB receptions are going to be needed here. Murray can catch the ball too if you look closer at his career stats and catch rate, but Williams should relied more on this 

Users who are viewing this thread