What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Olive Kitteridge

Really dark, depressing HBO miniseries starring Frances McDormand and Richard Jenkins. [SIZE=14.39px]McDormand's character is really an awful person in to a large extent, but this is damn fine filmmaking. Highly recommended for lovers of drama with a little bit of gallows humor. [/SIZE]
Oh great, I just cancelled HBO yesterday.
It's tough to watch at times. But very well done.
One of the best dramas in any format in the last year. Top freaking notch. Not easy or fun to watch, but the real deal.
I don't think it's controversial to say that TV is so good these days, it's better than most films.

Don't care that this isn't a rental:

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

This is by far my favorite of the Hobbit/LOTR movies I've seen. I've only missed Hobbit 2, The Quickening. This final chapter has spectacular battles, and I liked the emotional notes. Outstanding.

Started of with two that I thought I would have the reaction I did to them: beautifully shot movies that I really didn't get much out of watching. They were Grand Budapest Hotel and Inside Llewyn Davis. I think I liked Budapest more, but still two directors' work that I usually lukewarm about anyway.
I am fanboy of both these directors. But there comes a point where some of their efforts feel really indulgent. I think Moonrise Kingdom is Anderson's best all-around movie because I think the emotional content is better than most of his aloof efforts. Anderson at his worst captures such affected performances, it takes you right out of the moment.

And with Llewyn Davis, it really reminded me of A Serious Man. When the Coens do it right, like Miller's Crossing and True Grit, the quirkiness does not interfere with the drama. But in Davis and Serious Man, we're mostly given very flat and unsatisfying plots.

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

I can't catch up...no way.

People who know my tastes: what do I need to watch?

Don't suggest Boyhood as it's already one of my favorites movies. Otherwise, suggestions from the last three years?
Newer movies you should see:

The Railway Man - Colin firth kills is as a broken WW2 vet.

Magic In The Moonlight - If you like Woody Allen, this is one of his better efforts.

Boy - A phenomenal New Zealand movie with all unknown cast.

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

I can't catch up...no way.

People who know my tastes: what do I need to watch?

Don't suggest Boyhood as it's already one of my favorites movies. Otherwise, suggestions from the last three years?
guess i am not100% sure what your tastes are, but a few of my favs the last few years:

Her

Short Term 12

Blue Ruin

Before Midnight

Drive

The Master

Again, not sure what you like or what you have seen.
Can't agree more about Her.

Big Hero 6

I knew nothing about it, except that it was a kids movie. My 5yo and wife loved it, and I was very entertained. Really good family movie.

8/10

Boyhood:

This one ended up more of the spectrum of just glad I watched it because it was a groundbreaking way to make a movie, and less on the spectrum of actually loving the movie. Was great to see a character grow up in front of our eyes onscreen, and it was uncanny how much he looked like a young Ethan Hawke. I was just surprised that I felt no emotional attachment to any of the characters, and downright disliked many of them. Overall just surprised how little I connected with this movie last night, thought it would be a slam dunk top 10 of the year for me. 6.5/10

Big Hero 6:

Took my 8yr old to this one today, and I loved it. I think this was the most fun that he had in the theater this year too, which definitely added to my enjoyment. He was laughing, at the edge of his seat, and I am pretty sure through my tears I saw him fighting not to cry too. Very good year for family movies. 7.5/10

holy wow... just remembered we caught most of I-Frankenstein on the free while at the MIL's. wtf was going on there?
Put this on last night (Netflix) for something to fall asleep... ended up watching the whole thing. What a mess. Haven't watched anything that bad in a long time.

I know that I am usually a negative nancy around here, but I do have to say that I think 2014 was a very good year for movies.

I would have trouble doing a top 10 movies of the year, and for me it was stronger than the past few years for popcorn movies and family movies, as I have really liked a lot of them: Capt America 2, Edge of Tomorrow, Raid 2, Dawn of Planet of the Apes, Dragon 2, Big Hero 6, Lego Movie, Maleficent, etc. Throw that in with a lot of the ones that usually show up on end of year lists: Under the Skin, Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, Blue Ruin, The One I Love, etc.. All that and I haven't even seen a lot of the biggies, such as Interstellar, Whiplash, Birdman, Fox Catcher, Inherent Vice and many others. Damn fine year for movies. :popcorn:

Cold in July

Big fan of this. It is set in the 80's but has a lot of western feel to it. Thought the acting was very good and I think it's a nice balance for people who like deeper darker movies and popcorn movies. Loved Don Johnson in this. 7/10

The Horseman

Watched this based on a review in this thread. It seems like most of the movie I was pretty tense watching it. Nice story and characters. Some parts of it got a bit eye-rolling to me but again another movie I liked but it won't be for everyone. Lots of brutal violence but it belongs in the film and it's not just gore riddled scenes. 7/10

Layer Cake

It was a good run and I think this was the highlight. If you haven't seen this then you should. I thought this to be very nicely done. I am generally not a big fan of British gangster films but this one seemed more appealing to me. The main character XXXX takes us through his rules on how to be a successful businessman and avoid the pitfalls that so many others before him have fallen victim to. I never know how much of the plot to include when talking about a movie so give it a look but I highly recommend this. 8 /10

Last edited by a moderator:
Boyhood:

This one ended up more of the spectrum of just glad I watched it because it was a groundbreaking way to make a movie, and less on the spectrum of actually loving the movie. Was great to see a character grow up in front of our eyes onscreen, and it was uncanny how much he looked like a young Ethan Hawke. I was just surprised that I felt no emotional attachment to any of the characters, and downright disliked many of them. Overall just surprised how little I connected with this movie last night, thought it would be a slam dunk top 10 of the year for me. 6.5/10
What's the consensus on Boyhood?

It's not something I expected to watch but you not liking it doesn't help. This thread got me to watch Tree of Life and I'm glad I did.

Boyhood:

What's the consensus on Boyhood?It's not something I expected to watch but you not liking it doesn't help. This thread got me to watch Tree of Life and I'm glad I did.
I would recommend everybody watch it. I think the majority of critics love it and have it in their top 3 of the year. I liked it, just expected to love it (maybe that was part of the problem too). I have a son, and cry during movies at the drop of a hat, but didn't feel much during the movie. For me, the style that makes it groundbreaking also hinders it to a point. Sometimes the jumps made me feel like something was left behind or left out. Curious what others think.

Boyhood:

Big Hero 6:

Took my 8yr old to this one today, and I loved it. I think this was the most fun that he had in the theater this year too, which definitely added to my enjoyment. He was laughing, at the edge of his seat, and I am pretty sure through my tears I saw him fighting not to cry too. Very good year for family movies. 7.5/10
you have big hero rated too low :)

Boyhood:

Big Hero 6:

He has both of those movies rated too low.

Boyhood:

What's the consensus on Boyhood?

It's not something I expected to watch but you not liking it doesn't help. This thread got me to watch Tree of Life and I'm glad I did.
Really good, and highly recommended.

Boyhood:

Big Hero 6:

He has both of those movies rated too low.
:shrug:

Different ratings maybe? Big Hero 6 might be slightly low, but I shift a tad after i think more about my end of year rankings. For me, an 8/10 is one of the best movies of the year- in my top 10-15 or so. It might make that, but only seeing it once, i have Lego Movie higher now so i dont know if Big Hero gets the extra .5.

Similar with Boyhood. 7/10 for me is a good movie that misses out on my best of list, but i would watch a few times again. It was a good movie, but maybe i would watch it again, but i am in no hurry to do so.

I get the feeling i am in the minority with Boyhood, and that is fine.

A most wanted man 4/5

Classic le carre, and Hoffman kills it in his last movie. Ending scene is just eery knowing that he later dies.

Flipping channels last night and end up staying on "Don't Blink"..

Ten people arrive at a secluded mountain resort to find it completely deserted. With no gas for the return trip, the visitors are forced to stay and investigate the mystery surrounding the abandoned lodge.
No idea why but it drew me in.. It is listed as a "Scifi Horror" flick but felt it was more "Twilight Zone" then horror.. Decent as a "What the heck" watch. :)

Bought tickets today for next weekend's opening of Inherent Vice in 70mm. Best seats in the house and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. This has been the most disappointing holiday relese schedule I can remember. I hope PT Anderson delivers again for me. I've liked or loved everything else he's done.

Bought tickets today for next weekend's opening of Inherent Vice in 70mm. Best seats in the house and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. This has been the most disappointing holiday relese schedule I can remember. I hope PT Anderson delivers again for me. I've liked or loved everything else he's done.
Looks great. Hope it comes around here.

Been layed up with a bad tooth and have seen 3 movies so far today.

Frequencies - A- Excellent movie about whether free will does exist or if life is all sort of a master plan. Interesting twist at the end. And very good acting. Came out last year under the radar. Well worth it.

Silver Lining Playbook A- I had put off watching this because of my mental health issues and it was tough in parts.But I am glad I did. Great performances by Cooper, Lawrence, De Niro and Jackie Weaver as the mom. Only thing I kinda didn't like was

that they got together at the end. Just was too neat in a messy movie.
Vanilla Sky B Great performances (Cruise, Diaz, Cruz, Russell and Lee) and a very interesting concept but it became too muddled at the end. Worth the watch but I got lost at the end

snogger said:
Flipping channels last night and end up staying on "Don't Blink"..

Ten people arrive at a secluded mountain resort to find it completely deserted. With no gas for the return trip, the visitors are forced to stay and investigate the mystery surrounding the abandoned lodge.
No idea why but it drew me in.. It is listed as a "Scifi Horror" flick but felt it was more "Twilight Zone" then horror.. Decent as a "What the heck" watch. :)
It was ok, but it broke its own rules a lot.

FootballDummy said:
Zow said:
A most wanted man 4/5

Classic le carre, and Hoffman kills it in his last movie. Ending scene is just eery knowing that he later dies.
I thought it was boring and unsatisfying. Of course, that's Le Carre movies in general.
Right. I was a classic LeCarre story. If you don't like LeCarre, you're not going to like this movie. Great acting be damned.

Into the Woods - B+ Surprised it was a musical. Chris Pine was hilarious and the big surprise was Emily Blunt. She sang,had some great one liners and very good facial expressions.

The bad? It went too long and Johnny Depp had another really bad performance. Well his performance was OK, but he played the Wolf as a total child molester. It was very creepy.

Jersey Boys was pretty good. I saw the show twice. Liked it a lot the first time on Broadway, not as much the second in Vegas. The movie fills in some gaps and makes for a more focused story. Vincent Piazza, Lucky from Boardwalk Empire, had probably the best performance in it. He's a local kid, I remember him working in a pizza place we used to go to. Worth checking out if you're into the story, even if you saw the show on stage. 2.5/5

badmojo1006 said:
Into the Woods - B+ Surprised it was a musical. Chris Pine was hilarious and the big surprise was Emily Blunt. She sang,had some great one liners and very good facial expressions.

The bad? It went too long and Johnny Depp had another really bad performance. Well his performance was OK, but he played the Wolf as a total child molester. It was very creepy.
I saw this last night (let's just say it was ladies' pick night) - absolutely, slam-bam, totally horrible. I'm wide open to enjoying a movie because it's Rated G or a musical or a chick flick or whatever, this was horrible. Emily Blunt was the best part about it, she was terrific throughout.

Also, people may think since this is a Disney musical it's good for kids. It's not.

Grade: D.

The Judge

As someone who has some daddy issues this was difficult for me to watch. As someone with 2 aging parents with health issues it was hard to watch at times - the bathroom scene hits home to me having dealt with something similar. Probably a bit to formulaic the be considered great to most. Nice acting and Duvall is great. 8/10

The Skeleton Twins

This is the one with Bill Hader (plays a gay guy) and Kristen Wiig (plays his twin sister). Big thumbs down. Very depressing movie that doesn't tie up all of its loose ends. There were a couple of funny parts but not many. Not worth a rental

4/10

The Skeleton Twins

This is the one with Bill Hader (plays a gay guy) and Kristen Wiig (plays his twin sister). Big thumbs down. Very depressing movie that doesn't tie up all of its loose ends. There were a couple of funny parts but not many. Not worth a rental

4/10
I have been hearing such good things about this one, but every time I go to watch it I decide on something else. Thanks for the input.

The Skeleton Twins

4/10
I have been hearing such good things about this one, but every time I go to watch it I decide on something else. Thanks for the input.
i thought the performances elevated it a little, but i have zero clue why it was advertised as a funny movie. A lot of the positive critic blurps said something about it being funny too.

The Skeleton Twins

4/10
Same here. I rented it a month ago, watched 15 minutes, but got distracted and forgot about it. 20 days late fees later I now own.

Still haven't seen it.

Poker Night (2014)

Shocked by how much I like this. It starts off pretty typical and might lose some people early but turns into a fun and interesting movie. A young cop hero gets invited to poker night with all the legends of police work and they share their experiences and give advice. Upon leaving the game the night takes a bad turn for the young cop. Not at all your typical cop movie, or thriller and mixes in a perfect amount of funny surreal moments. 7/10

I love the genre when done right, but have lost the patience to weed through the garbage, so:

Were there any good horror movies released last year that are out on video? Want to see the Babadook, but that is not out yet. Have a couple at home - really looking forward to Dead Snow 2, but don't know if anything else good has come out recently.

caught the first episode of a BBC America show called "The Game". Cold War espionage drama and thriller set in 1970's UK. First episode was really good and polished. Think "Tinker Tailor Solider Spy" but less inert than the very talk-y LeCarre. Bryan Cox is in it too and he's one of my favorite hammy actors. Only 6 episodes.

Watched The Wolf of Wall street last night. I'm a huge Scorsese fan but I didn't like this one much. I thought it was absurdly over the top, to the point where it was annoying. Lots of Deja Vu moments from Boiler Room(a movie that I enjoyed), the first hour plus was pretty similar. The Jonah Hill character and his performance was brutal, not funny/real at all. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching, I think anything Scorsese does is, at least once. I wouldn't go in with high expectations though. The eye candy is great at least :shrug:

Spent about 20 hours on international flights over the holidays and caught up on some films I had been wanting to see but hadn't yet.

Edge of Tomorrow - Really enjoyed this. Best Cruise film in a long while.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I kept waiting to be disappointed in this film but it never happened. Quite solid and I hope they continue the series.

Transcendence - I think there was potentially a solid movie in here but it never panned out.

The Amazing Spider Man - What a mess, seriously bad story telling. I really hope the rumors about Marvel reacquiring the rights to Spidey are true because Sony isn't doing anything worthwhile with the character.

I love the genre when done right, but have lost the patience to weed through the garbage, so:

Were there any good horror movies released last year that are out on video? Want to see the Babadook, but that is not out yet. Have a couple at home - really looking forward to Dead Snow 2, but don't know if anything else good has come out recently.
Besides Babadook, the only other horror movie I liked last year was Housebound. I guess The Purge: Anarchy wasn't awful if you're desperate. Bad year for horror.

Users who are viewing this thread