What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

You know how 10% of the population thinks cilantro tastes like soap and can't eat it?

I feel that way about Joachim Phoenix. I got into a big Johnny Cash phase recently (thanks to the FFA) and was excited to watch "Walk the Line" last night.

I turned it off 30 minutes in. His acting just doesn't work for me. I'm sure he's great but he's not for me. I don't think I've ever watched a movie of his I loved. "To Die For" was good but he wasn't the main.
I dunno. I'll try to finish but he's cilantro for me and I'm the 10%.

I simply cannot watch him. All my friends and family joke about this when he has a new movie out. "Oh, Napoleon looks good but we know you won't see it." I won't. Something about him is unbearable for me. On the female side, I feel the same about Martha Plimpton, who luckily isn't in as many movies I'd otherwise see.

Had no idea anyone else felt this way! :hifive:
Interesting. I feel the same about Plimpton (and Juliette Lewis). I was excited about the upcoming HBO series The Regime with Kate Winslet. Then Martha P showed up in the trailer and that's over with.
This is Tilda Swinton for me. Unfortunately, she is talented and finds her way into acclaimed movies I then have to not watch. :lol:
Damn, you've skipped most of the MCU movies?
I don't THINK I've seen one with her in it. Isn't she in the Dr. Strange movie and others after that?

You know how 10% of the population thinks cilantro tastes like soap and can't eat it?

I feel that way about Joachim Phoenix. I got into a big Johnny Cash phase recently (thanks to the FFA) and was excited to watch "Walk the Line" last night.

I turned it off 30 minutes in. His acting just doesn't work for me. I'm sure he's great but he's not for me. I don't think I've ever watched a movie of his I loved. "To Die For" was good but he wasn't the main.
I dunno. I'll try to finish but he's cilantro for me and I'm the 10%.

I simply cannot watch him. All my friends and family joke about this when he has a new movie out. "Oh, Napoleon looks good but we know you won't see it." I won't. Something about him is unbearable for me. On the female side, I feel the same about Martha Plimpton, who luckily isn't in as many movies I'd otherwise see.

Had no idea anyone else felt this way! :hifive:
Interesting. I feel the same about Plimpton (and Juliette Lewis). I was excited about the upcoming HBO series The Regime with Kate Winslet. Then Martha P showed up in the trailer and that's over with.
This is Tilda Swinton for me. Unfortunately, she is talented and finds her way into acclaimed movies I then have to not watch. :lol:
Damn, you've skipped most of the MCU movies?
I don't THINK I've seen one with her in it. Isn't she in the Dr. Strange movie and others after that?
Yes, she's mainly in the Strange movies, but also in some of the Avengers movies.

I don’t really care for her either

Had to watch a Julia Robert’s movie awhile back (leave the world behind) and that was excruciating

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1, but not part 1 in the selection screen, but still part 1 on the title screen when the movie starts, and still part 1 when it ends and says end of part 1, but really, now not part 1 because they are afraid of calling the next one part 2 since it will be 3 years between them and some people might forget there was a part 1. Or something.

Fun movie. Enjoyed the ride. Cruise is really good in this role. The script sucked and was the worst of all of them. By far. Still I'm in for part 2.

Which won't be part 2 because.....

Saw Sofia Coppola’s latest movie Priscilla last at my local independent theater. $5 for the big screen is a great deal and was on a total whim. It was solid and I’m glad I did see it in a theater because the best parts of the movie were the production value, cinematography and music.

The story was a little predictable though I guess that’s to be expected when dealing with a true story. Jacob Elordi’s Elvis was quite a contrast from Austin Butlers. Total yin and yang. Butler was all fun and flash. Elordi was all pills and immaturity. Also a lot of mumbling- the group of older women in front of me didn’t seem capable of understanding anything he said. I do think depriving Elordi of almost all the big Elvis moments and making him Elvis the man, not Elvis the pop figure grounds us in reality and really allows young Priscilla to be the emotional focus of the film. Ultimately, it would be an interesting pairing with May December because Priscilla is a story about grooming.

Saw Sofia Coppola’s latest movie Priscilla last at my local independent theater. $5 for the big screen is a great deal and was on a total whim. It was solid and I’m glad I did see it in a theater because the best parts of the movie were the production value, cinematography and music.

The story was a little predictable though I guess that’s to be expected when dealing with a true story. Jacob Elordi’s Elvis was quite a contrast from Austin Butlers. Total yin and yang. Butler was all fun and flash. Elordi was all pills and immaturity. Also a lot of mumbling- the group of older women in front of me didn’t seem capable of understanding anything he said. I do think depriving Elordi of almost all the big Elvis moments and making him Elvis the man, not Elvis the pop figure grounds us in reality and really allows young Priscilla to be the emotional focus of the film. Ultimately, it would be an interesting pairing with May December because Priscilla is a story about grooming.

We rented it. Wish I could get my $20 back

Can't I remember if I mentioned what a waste of time Napoleon was. Pretty disappointing
I thought it worked better as a comedy than a drama. He was such a little freak. The battle scenes were impressive as well. The story didn’t all connect well though. Felt like parts were missing.

We rented it. Wish I could get my $20 back
Yeah wasn’t a $20 movie but I felt more than fine about the $5. It looked gorgeous on the screen and I thought it would get some production design awards love. It just lacked something for me, not quite sure.

Can't I remember if I mentioned what a waste of time Napoleon was. Pretty disappointing
I thought it worked better as a comedy than a drama. He was such a little freak. The battle scenes were impressive as well. The story didn’t all connect well though. Felt like parts were missing.
Comedy would've been better, for sure. I did laugh at how much they showed him crying.... basically his only emotion. Felt like Phoenix phoned it in here.

And felt like I'd seen the battle scenes already and done better in The Patriot.

Totally agree about the narrative structure being a mess.

Just watched the trailer for the new Road House remake. In. 100% in.

March 21 on Prime, apparently.
Feels like they are doing to this like they did Point Break, changing it to modernize it but outside of the character's name and him working in a bar, is it the same story?
Not to say it will be bad, but if it wasn't named "Road House" or "Point Break" would you watch?

Well sure. But that's more an indictment on my love of any and all action movies - including dumb ones, than any comment on the movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal beating people up? Pretty girls? Yes. I'm in.

Just watched the trailer for the new Road House remake. In. 100% in.

March 21 on Prime, apparently.
Feels like they are doing to this like they did Point Break, changing it to modernize it but outside of the character's name and him working in a bar, is it the same story?
Not to say it will be bad, but if it wasn't named "Road House" or "Point Break" would you watch?

Well sure. But that's more an indictment on my love of any and all action movies - including dumb ones, than any comment on the movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal beating people up? Pretty girls? Yes. I'm in.
Ha, true. I mean I will probably watch, will probably enjoy it too, then will tell people it was fun but would have been better if it wasn't called "Road House" (which is exactly what happened with Point Break)....

Netflix appears to have a tribute to 1974 streaming. Recently watched Charley Varrick with Watler Matthau and it's such a great 70s crime movie. I can't believe this is on Netflix. Such a great ending too. They also are streaming a tribute to 1974:

Chinatown, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, The Gambler, California Split, Black Belt Jones, Death Wish, The Conversation, Blazing Saddles, The Parallax View, The Street Fighter, The Lords of Flatbush and It's Alive!

Netflix appears to have a tribute to 1974 streaming. Recently watched Charley Varrick with Watler Matthau and it's such a great 70s crime movie. I can't believe this is on Netflix. Such a great ending too. They also are streaming a tribute to 1974:

Chinatown, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, The Gambler, California Split, Black Belt Jones, Death Wish, The Conversation, Blazing Saddles, The Parallax View, The Street Fighter, The Lords of Flatbush and It's Alive!

We watched most of The Parallax View the other night when switching stations (had both seen it before so didn't mind starting it partway through), and I was wondering why Warren Beatty stopped making movies. Anybody know? I realize he's 1000 years old now, though that hasn't stopped Harrison Ford. Since Bulworth (1998), he's had exactly two movies.

We watched most of The Parallax View the other night when switching stations (had both seen it before so didn't mind starting it partway through), and I was wondering why Warren Beatty stopped making movies. Anybody know? I realize he's 1000 years old now, though that hasn't stopped Harrison Ford. Since Bulworth (1998), he's had exactly two movies.
I love Parallax View and well almost anything from Pakula. Good question on Beatty. Guys like Eastwood and Redford have kept starring in movies very late into life. Just looking at Wikipedia it seems like he was attached to a lot of possible movies, including a Bulworth sequel, and a Liberace movie that ended up becoming the HBO series. These projects just never came together. He did manage to do another **** Tracy special last year so he could retain the rights to it. He seems just to be doing that out of spite at this point.

I love Parallax View and well almost anything from Pakula. Good question on Beatty. Guys like Eastwood and Redford have kept starring in movies very late into life. Just looking at Wikipedia it seems like he was attached to a lot of possible movies, including a Bulworth sequel, and a Liberace movie that ended up becoming the HBO series. These projects just never came together. He did manage to do another **** Tracy special last year so he could retain the rights to it. He seems just to be doing that out of spite at this point.
They hired the firm I was at when I was doing **** Donners house. The poor partner in charge... Beatty would call at all hours and scream at him. I saw it in action once...and the look on his face when the phone rang and he saw who it was.. 🤣. we were like their 8th architects to work on that thing, and definitely not their last.

They hired the firm I was at when I was doing **** Donners house. The poor partner in charge... Beatty would call at all hours and scream at him. I saw it in action once...and the look on his face when the phone rang and he saw who it was.. 🤣. we were like their 8th architects to work on that thing, and definitely not their last.

Beatty is a big creative control guy. He's been involved in multiple roles (star, producer, director, writer) for most of his films dating back as far as Bonnie & Clyde. He hasn't been especially prolific over the past half century but the projects he has taken on have all been his own.

All you dummies need to watch Dumb Money. It's the story of the GameStop stock controversy. Much like The Big Short, this movie relates a lot of complex information in a very fun, digestible manner. Two thumbs way up.

Recent watches and rewatches:

Killing of a Sacred Deer
**** this movie. A bummer from start to finish. I love The Lobster, but this filmmaker is a challenge to watch.

Kindergarten Cop
Genius. The kid actors are hilarious. The reason this movie works so well: in 96% of Arnold movies, he can solve all problems with this muscles. But not with little kids.

Rollerball
This awful remake is pretty fun if you watch it while high or with drunk friends. Hard to believe that John McTiernan, the director of Die Hard, went to prison surrounding his actions in the production of this film. That's right, prison. Check it out on the webz.

The Boy and The Heron
Hayao Miyazaki's newest film. Beautiful and weird, like most of his films. Here's a snippet from the writer's room: "You know what this mostly G rated film needs? A graphic, disgusting scene where a giant fish gets disemboweled."

Movies I watched in January

Jawan (2023 - Atlee)
The Post (2017 - S. Spielberg)
Savage (1973 - S. Spielberg)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984 - S. Spielberg)
Lift (2024 - F.G. Gray)
Chor Nikal Ke Bhaga (2023 - A. Singh)
The Caine Mutiny (1954 - E. Dmytryk)
Cutie Honey (2004 - H. Anno)
King Solomon’s Mines (1985 - J. L. Thompson)
Amazing Stories: Ghost Train - short (1985 - S. Spielberg)
The Enemy Below (1957 - D. Powell)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983 - J. Landis, S. Spielberg, J. Dante, G. Miller)
The Marine 5: Battleground (2017 - J. Nunn)
Hollywood Shuffle (1987 - R. Townsend)
The Terminal (2004 - S. Spielberg)
Blue Velvet (1987 - D. Lynch)
Insomnia (2002 - C. Nolan)
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964 - I. Honda)
Schindler’s List (1993 - S. Spielberg)
True Grit (2010 - J. Coen & E. Coen)
Cluny Brown (1946 - E. Lubitsch)
Mac and Me (1988 - S. Raffill)

I abstained from movies for a week at the beginning of the the month and still managed my usual 22 films--blame it on the rain. Eight of them were Spielberg-adjacent and have been written up in the other thread.

I watched two WWII naval movies from the 50s. I'd been wanting to see The Caine Mutiny ever since I saw William Friedkin's court martial movie last year. The original had to tread carefully around its subject matter to stay on good terms with the USN but it still holds up pretty well all things considered. I was more impressed by The Enemy Below, a gripping story of a cat and mouse game between a US destroyer captain played by Robert Mitchum and a German U-boat captained by Curd Jurgens. It was released twelve years after the war when the enemy could be portrayed in more three-dimensional ways. Highly recommended if you like boats.

Cutie Honey is a fun little Japanese superhero movie that plays like a live action anime. It was directed by Hideaki Anno who put out one of my favorite films of 2023 Shin Rider Kamen. Cutie Honey started off great but got too cute for me at the end. Overall, it was an enjoyable watch but not up to the standards of SRK. Staying in Japan, I watched Toho monster movie Ghidorah. It starred Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra who team up to save the earth (spoiler). The monster scenes are always a kick but I really love the scenes of 60s Japan.

I watched The Marine 5 based on a positive comment from one of my film Twitter follows about One More Shot, a new film by director James Nunn. Marine 5 is a low budget action movie starring The Miz and a bunch of other wrestlers. It's an old school brawler that made the most of its setting in an underground parking garage. To be honest, it dragged a bit once it moved above ground to an abandoned amusement park but I was mostly entertained. I'd longlisted Hollywood Shuffle after seeing Robert Townsend as Sydney's dad in The Bear. Shuffle had a few laughs but it's pretty dated in multiple ways and the structure of story and skits doesn't really work.

I don't think I'd seen Blue Velvet since it's original theatrical run. It's interesting in retrospect as a test run for Twin Peaks albeit with R-rated sex. Lynch is a director I can take or leave and this viewing didn't change that. It's perverse even by 80s standards. Insomnia is like the summertime doppelganger of the current season of True Detective. I thought it was excellent but it was another story that fell off in its third act. It's been a while since I watched a Western and the Coen brothers version of True Grit is a great one. They play it close to the book and get excellent performances from the cast and make great use of Roger Deakins' wonderful camera work. It was probably my favorite movie of the month including all the Spielbergs.

How the did Sicario not even get a best picture nom that year?

The academy has never been big on crime thrillers. There have only been six best picture winners about cops and robbers (In the Heat of the Night, French Connection, the two Godfathers, Silence of the Lambs & No Country for Old Men).

Just watched a great crime thriller that I won't comment on because it might be part of a upcoming directors club month...but maybe not.

Now, it feels like a Mank night :)

Finally saw Past Lives. I thought it was well crafted and succeeded on its own limited terms but I didn't love it as much as some of you. Maybe I'm too old and jaded but it played kind of like a very deliberately paced rom com without the laughs.

Been on a bit of a Villanueve kick since I saw Dune

Sicario was awesome, think I already commented on that one

Enemy was interesting, can’t say I quite “got it”

I recall seeing Prisoners awhile back, having a hard time remembering how that one ended though

Wasn’t a huge fan of Arrival either, maybe I will give that one another chance

Still have Incendies and Polytechnique on the list

I sure love True Grit. Probably the Coen's most underrated movie. Hollywood Shuffle hasn't aged well, but that movie was pretty daring and fresh when it came out back in 1987.
I still regularly quote and reference Hollywood Shuffle... Love the movie whether it's aged well or not. Sneaking into the movies was my favorite bit even if I find myself saying "ho-cakes" randomly more often than not

And it's importance can't be overstated. Townsend financed it on credit cards! And shined a very bright and funny light on how engrained racism was in Hollywood for actors, let alone people working behind the scenes. Totally eye opening and I like to think led to some eventual change.

I sure love True Grit. Probably the Coen's most underrated movie. Hollywood Shuffle hasn't aged well, but that movie was pretty daring and fresh when it came out back in 1987.
I still regularly quote and reference Hollywood Shuffle... Love the movie whether it's aged well or not. Sneaking into the movies was my favorite bit even if I find myself saying "ho-cakes" randomly more often than not

And it's importance can't be overstated. Townsend financed it on credit cards! And shined a very bright and funny light on how engrained racism was in Hollywood for actors, let alone people working behind the scenes. Totally eye opening and I like to think led to some eventual change.
I've never seen it and comedies aren't generally my thing - but reading the quotes on IMDB... :lmao:

The Holdovers..... it was ok felt like it was a tad long but overall enjoyable movie

100% agree. Had it's moments, but I don't see it becoming a part of my Christmas rotation. When it ended my wife said "That's it? That's how it ends?"

Felt like it could have been more to be honest.

Went and saw Argylle over the weekend and thought it sucked. Was disappointed because it's by the same people that did Kingsman, which I really liked - at least the original one. But Argylle was just bad despite having a pretty good cast. Definitely recommend The Beekeeper over Argylle if you're looking for an action movie to see in theaters.

Been on a bit of a Villanueve kick since I saw Dune

Sicario was awesome, think I already commented on that one

Enemy was interesting, can’t say I quite “got it”

I recall seeing Prisoners awhile back, having a hard time remembering how that one ended though

Wasn’t a huge fan of Arrival either, maybe I will give that one another chance

Still have Incendies and Polytechnique on the list
I still have Enemy and Polytechnique on the list. I think Incendies is great, though it's brutal.

Went and saw Argylle over the weekend and thought it sucked. Was disappointed because it's by the same people that did Kingsman, which I really liked - at least the original one. But Argylle was just bad despite having a pretty good cast. Definitely recommend The Beekeeper over Argylle if you're looking for an action movie to see in theaters.
This sucks to hear. Was really looking forward to it.

You Hurt My Feelings was a pleasant A24 comedy about the little lies we all tell to avoid uncomfortable truths and protect our relationships. Julia Louis-Dreyfus leads a cast of insecure, middle-aged New Yorkers. You could do worse if you're looking for a Valentine's day movie to watch with your partner.

You Hurt My Feelings was a pleasant A24 comedy about the little lies we all tell to avoid uncomfortable truths and protect our relationships. Julia Louis-Dreyfus leads a cast of insecure, middle-aged New Yorkers. You could do worse if you're looking for a Valentine's day movie to watch with your partner.
Ah. My kind of movie.

Users who are viewing this thread