What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retired Cop Kills Man for Texting (1 Viewer)

If however the situation had ended in him getting his ### kicked (and lived), I would be :towelwave: :headbang: :pickle: :clap: about it.
How do you feel about someone eating canned tuna in a theater?
I don't go to movie theaters anymore because people are finding more and more ways to be annoying in them. Perhaps the retired cop should have followed my lead.
You may not want to ever leave your house.
I worked in NYC for a couple weeks and couldn't wait to leave.
Why so angry? Not getting enough?
Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Movies have never been a venue for social interaction. New technology doesn't change that. If you want to socialize, take it outside.
So when you get annoyed it's ok to kill someone? Like I said....don't leave your house if you're that unstable.

If however the situation had ended in him getting his ### kicked (and lived), I would be :towelwave: :headbang: :pickle: :clap: about it.
I don't go to movie theaters anymore because people are finding more and more ways to be annoying in them. Perhaps the retired cop should have followed my lead.
Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Movies have never been a venue for social interaction. New technology doesn't change that. If you want to socialize, take it outside.
So when you get annoyed it's ok to kill someone? Like I said....don't leave your house if you're that unstable.
I made it abundantly clear that it's tragic that he got killed.

#### you and your strawman argument.

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

So when you get annoyed it's ok to kill someone?
Yes, that's exactly what he said. :lmao:

Politician Spock said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Smack Tripper said:
fantasycurse42 said:
He shot this guy for texting during the previews before a movie. This POS should be tortured... Happened in the Sunshine State.http://abcnews.go.com/US/texting-triggers-fatal-movie-theater-shooting/t/story?id=21517988&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Its not totally unreasonable to be asked to stop texting. And why is he confronting this guy and worrying about being tattled on. Very sad he's dead but I hope there's at least some cellphone footage of the arc of this confrontation.
I agree with your first sentence, however it was before the movie started.
Then he won't miss any of the movie by stepping outside to use his phone.
He didnt have to or need to.
Ah. I see. He was entitled. The guy who asked him to stop can get bent.
You really care if someone texts during the pre-views?
I like watching the previews.
A text really hampers your appreciation for the previews?
If the dude is sitting right next to or below you with the keyboard sound on and the blazing light illuminating the darkness, yes. Sometimes as it turns out at the end, the previews were the best part of that night's movie experience.

Politician Spock said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Smack Tripper said:
fantasycurse42 said:
He shot this guy for texting during the previews before a movie. This POS should be tortured... Happened in the Sunshine State.http://abcnews.go.com/US/texting-triggers-fatal-movie-theater-shooting/t/story?id=21517988&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Its not totally unreasonable to be asked to stop texting. And why is he confronting this guy and worrying about being tattled on. Very sad he's dead but I hope there's at least some cellphone footage of the arc of this confrontation.
Not to the point of shooting someone, but yes. I'm there to watch the previews and then the movie. If that's not what you're there to do, take it outside.
I don't see how someone texting could possibly bother your watching the previews.

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

You also said you didn't mind if he got the crap beat out of him.

Politician Spock said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Smack Tripper said:
fantasycurse42 said:
If the dude is sitting right next to or below you with the keyboard sound on and the blazing light illuminating the darkness, yes. Sometimes as it turns out at the end, the previews were the best part of that night's movie experience.
This is insane.

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Don't you have a fat chick to keep you occupied tonight?

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Texters need to learn their lesson somehow.

I don't see how someone texting could possibly bother your watching the previews.
It would annoy me if someone was texting without the sound turned off once the previews started, and maybe a little if it was on silent and their bright screen was next to me, but not enough to shoot them.

I'm going to guess that this retired cop was a little tightly wound to begin with and had some other issues ratting around in that melon of his long before some dude started to text in a movie theater.

It would annoy me if someone was texting without the sound turned off once the previews started, and maybe a little if it was on silent and their bright screen was next to me, but not enough to shoot them.

I'm going to guess that this retired cop was a little tightly wound to begin with and had some other issues ratting around in that melon of his long before some dude started to text in a movie theater.
Assuming the sound was off (which seems unknown at this point), I honestly cannot fathom how someone texting near you with a tiny lit screen could possibly bother anyone.

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Then you and Christo should form a new text fighting team and go to movie theaters and beat down the texters.

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Then you and Christo should form a new text fighting team and go to movie theaters and beat down the texters.
THIS FORMATTING REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Assuming the sound was off (which seems unknown at this point), I honestly cannot fathom how someone texting near you with a tiny lit screen could possibly bother anyone.
Every story on this has the comment from the Sheriff that they have reason to believe the phone was making noise. Are you sure you're a lawyer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to the point of shooting someone, but yes. I'm there to watch the previews and then the movie. If that's not what you're there to do, take it outside.
This guy got shot for it. Do you really think the shooter wasn't bothered?

It doesn't really bother me, but I could see how it would be mildly annoying to some (and absolutely with the volume up).

I don't think I'd say anything about it in a theater, but I'm extremely non-confrontational about these things.

I'm never going to teach anyone a lesson and you never know when some crazy ####### is screwed up in the head and has a gun.

This is insane.
Why is this insane? Have you seen some of those phones in the dark? Makes a good flashlight. I don't care if a dude texting is doing it so long as my eyeballs and ears aren't affected.

Angry?!? No.

Annoyed? Yes.

Don't you have a fat chick to keep you occupied tonight?
Who are you?

If your screen is set to very dim, keyboard silent, & phone in the lap, I don't see how this bothers anyone during the previews.

Stop multi quoting giant streams of text.

Spock is fishing. Spit the hook.

The retired cop will claim some type of mental illness I bet.

I think we can all agree the shooter was slightly unstable?

I think we can all agree the shooter was slightly unstable?
You say that like it's an uncommon thing in 'Murica in 2014.

Post Text Stress Disorder?
:lol: Seriously, it's friggin $11 here to see a friggin movie. I usually don't like any well enough to cough out the cash and chose to wait until it's on Netflix or something. So if I'm in the theater, I don't want to be bothered, especially if I'm there because a friend really wants to see this flick and had no one else to go with. :angry:

Cell phone users in this country are a menace. There's signs at the theater telling you not to do this crap. If the guy weren't too consumed with himself to even bother to pay attention to the previews, he probably would have saw a polite message telling him the same thing. And then to be a flippant jerk wad about the whole thing just really took it to another level.

Cell phone users in this country are a menace. There's signs at the theater telling you not to do this crap. If the guy weren't too consumed with himself to even bother to pay attention to the previews, he probably would have saw a polite message telling him the same thing. And then to be a flippant jerk wad about the whole thing just really took it to another level.
Gun toters in this country are a menace. blah blah blah....

We could have avoided this whole incident by banning cell phone use in public places just as easily.

Politician Spock said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Smack Tripper said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Apparently enough that it is justified to kill a married man with little children
Texting in a theater is inconsiderate and rude, it is not socially acceptable behavior, even during a preview. That said I have done it. But if someone asked me to stop, I would personally see their request as reasonable and I would stop. Particularly a senior citizen. There is just a right way and a wrong way to do things.

But if I were bent on continuing with my behavior, being self absorbed in my own world to text while my significant other sat next to me, I would also, hypothesize, that I would continue my own self absorption and not worry about confronting a senior citizen as to whether or not they tattled on me (as the report indicates).

The is an obvious surface physical advantage in being 40 versus being 70. Unless this deceased gentleman was shot in the back, this also means that he turned around to confront the shooter. Once again, we don't know what escalation gets us to that point, but in the limited witness account, it seems to be initiated by the deceased.

What happens in that escalation, thats for forensics and witnesses to tell, and no one should necessarily die for being hot tempered or stupid. But, on the surface, a 40 year old confronting a 70 year old, and I'm going to guess in not polite and reasoned terms just knowing how these things go, perhaps with some physical intimidation, then this old man had an equalizer.

And knowing what little we know, we know one man served his community in a presumably honorable manner for decades and one is a 43 year old man at the movies on a weekday. I'm not prepared to call this murder until we know more.

We could have avoided this whole incident by banning cell phone use in public places just as easily.
LOL.

You would just end up having another different issue with the gun toters.

Post Text Stress Disorder?
:lol: Seriously, it's friggin $11 here to see a friggin movie. I usually don't like any well enough to cough out the cash and chose to wait until it's on Netflix or something. So if I'm in the theater, I don't want to be bothered, especially if I'm there because a friend really wants to see this flick and had no one else to go with. :angry:
That guy texting paid the same $11

What's wrong with using them in public places? I don't care if someone next to me at a baseball game uses one. It's not annoying to others to use one in a stadium. But in a theater the light and the noise are very distracting. A PGA event is a sporting event where they shouldn't be used. Depends on the situation. A theater is one where they should not be used.

Users who are viewing this thread