What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retirement in a Foreign Country. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Leviathan

Footballguy
My wife's co-worker recently retired and moved to a Central American country. We are still many years away from retirement, but after reading her e-mails and perusing the pics, it has started a serious discussion.

Not sure if I would be willing to leave the USA.

The answer here has to be Central America or Mexico.

Real estate is super cheap in Panama and Costa Rica. I don't think I'd move there but the right beach town for 3-6 months out of the year could be great.

My wife's co-worker recently retired and moved to a Central American country. We are still many years away from retirement, but after reading her e-mails and perusing the pics, it has started a serious discussion.

Nothing wrong with it. I hope to retire to the Azores (early retirement if all goes well) and just buy a small place there and enjoy the lackadaisical lifestyle. Looked at a few places there this past year on a visit and loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sold at this point, but I have to admit that it's tempting. Live like royalty or enjoy the security of living in the good ol' USA.

funny that you ask that....im currently researching this very thing.

I own a house worth 276,000 and only owe 100,000 ...if i sell im up well over a 100,000 bucks ...you can buy a really nice house in south america for 90,000 or so.

Ive been looking into a place called coxen hole Roatan off the coast of Honduras

funny that you ask that....im currently researching this very thing.I own a house worth 276,000 and only owe 100,000 ...if i sell im up well over a 100,000 bucks ...you can buy a really nice house in south america for 90,000 or so.

Ive been looking into a place called coxen hole Roatan off the coast of Honduras
Interesting that our paths collide. I own a house that is worth $400K+. The house isn't huge, but it's on a 5 acre lot. I'm still owe $200K, but I can easily pay it off before I retire. Technically, the bank still owns it. Researching my options.

Belize is a commonwealth country, English is the official language and it's currency is linked to the US dollar. Just avoid Belize City.

funny that you ask that....im currently researching this very thing.I own a house worth 276,000 and only owe 100,000 ...if i sell im up well over a 100,000 bucks ...you can buy a really nice house in south america for 90,000 or so.

Interesting that our paths collide. I own a house that is worth $400K+. The house isn't huge, but it's on a 5 acre lot. I'm still owe $200K, but I can easily pay it off before I retire. Technically, the bank still owns it. Researching my options.
great minds think alike lol

I also have an invention in the works (portable chewing tobacco spitoon) so im hoping that makes me some money down the road...just sit in my south american home and collect checks haha...ya i know ...i can dream right?

I have no kids ...only 1 sister ...not married ...i have nothing keeping me in the states ...i dont want to spend my life here ...i want to live abroad...learn spanish and just go...it will have to be somewhere they have decent medical facilities ...the internet opens so many options for buying anything you need

Belize is a commonwealth country, English is the official language and it's currency is linked to the US dollar. Just avoid Belize City.
This.

There are a bunch of U.S. expats there already, especially in Corozal from what I understand, and more are going every year.

This.

There are a bunch of U.S. expats there already, especially in Corozal from what I understand, and more are going every year.
My uncle lived in Belize for several years and loved it. I'm afraid that his less-than-responsible lifestyle has put the kabosh on that notion.My brother, who is retired USAF and quite responsible, has his eyes set on the Seychelles.

A bit too far away for my taste.

I would suggest taking a month long vacation in another country first.

For all its faults, I think you'll be surprised how many things about the US you miss when you're away for extended periods.

I'm a long way away from this, but I wouldn't want to move so far away from family.

And I'm really thankful my parents haven't retired to another country. Having them around so my little girl can know them well is a big deal. Also I like them and they're great to have around.

I would suggest taking a month long vacation in another country first.

For all its faults, I think you'll be surprised how many things about the US you miss when you're away for extended periods.
Yeah, as much as we all complain, Merica is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread