What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Riley Cooper (1 Viewer)

I'm also not saying what Cooper said was right, smart or justified.

My point is if we as a society have made this offense such a serious one on par with theft or bodily injury and harm, and those that commit this offense are being dismissed from the work place, being sued and convicted and vilified on par with actual broken laws, make it one.

Paula Dean was just sued for using the same slur.

In keeping with the Cooper subject in particular, one reporter likened it to " if a player steals from another player in the locker room, he's basically gone off the team and can never be trusted. In my opinion what Riley Cooper did was worse"

End quote

So if stealing and theft is a crime, and many consider this more egregious, why not make it a law so we all know the rules and can all be held accountable equally?
Paula Dean wasnt sued for using the same slur. She was sued for a lot of other reasons, including creating a hostile work environment based on a number of factors, including racist language.

Paula Dean was just sued for using the same slur.

In keeping with the Cooper subject in particular, one reporter likened it to " if a player steals from another player in the locker room, he's basically gone off the team and can never be trusted. In my opinion what Riley Cooper did was worse"

End quote

So if stealing and theft is a crime, and many consider this more egregious, why not make it a law so we all know the rules and can all be held accountable equally?
Paula Dean wasnt sued for using the same slur. She was sued for a lot of other reasons, including creating a hostile work environment based on a number of factors, including racist language.
Really? What has everyone been saying she is and why has she been pulled from Networks, her products from shelves? Because she admitted using 'the N word' during her lifetime and everyone since has labeled her racist and convicted her as such in the court of opinion and in civil suit. That was the crux of the suit against her.

My point is if we as a society have made this offense such a serious one on par with theft or bodily injury and harm, and those that commit this offense are being dismissed from the work place, being sued and convicted and vilified on par with actual broken laws, make it one.
But what you're suggesting - that punishment is one par with a crime - is not accurate.

Riley signed a contract and his employer is acting within the power granted to them by said contract.

If I call my boss a ####er, I'm going to get fired. Should the word be a crime?

But what you're suggesting - that punishment is one par with a crime - is not accurate.

Riley signed a contract and his employer is acting within the power granted to them by said contract.

At this point it's become one. And if you're going to be fired for it just like theft and harassment, which are crimes, isn't it one as far as the results and outcome?

If people are going to be persecuted by the court of public opinion, which is the height of hypocrisy, and are going lose their jobs, social standings and are being brought to court on civil charges, just make it against the law, period.

That way EVERYONE is on even playing field, held accountable and treated equally for breaking the law. Our ridiculous society has chosen to treat a word like a crime so make it law and be done with it.
Nobody is treating a word as though it's a crime. You suggested we should do such, but I haven't heard anyone else do so.
When people are losing jobs, a living and being sued for using a word, that's the same treatment someone receives for committing crimes.
If you called your boss a jackass there's a decent chance that you'd be fired. It's just a word though.

At this point it's become one. And if you're going to be fired for it just like theft and harassment, which are crimes, isn't it one as far as the results and outcome?
Are you actually arguing that it should be illegal because you think it should be? Or using that to suggest the reaction to the use of the word is disproportionate?

There are plenty of reasons that one can be fired, that aren't crimes: insubordination, persistent tardiness, incompetance, spending the entire day on the FBG website, etc.

I don't understand the "we are not parting ways with Riley Cooper" comment from Chip Kelly. I thought all jobs were up for grabs. I don't think Cooper has the talent to start or make this team.

It appears that Cooper has a whole lot of self righteous teammates who don't like him no more.

I'm as atheist as they come but one thing I strongly believe in is the saying, "He who is without sin may cast the first stone"

Are you actually arguing that it should be illegal because you think it should be? Or using that to suggest the reaction to the use of the word is disproportionate?
I'm NOT saying it should be illegal, just the opposite. We as a society have placed such a repercussion for the use of a word on par with law breaking. No word should have such power. If we do decide it to be the case then, there shouldn't be a double standard about it. If he ends up needing legal council or calling upon the Players Association, it will come into play as we all know it's used in locker rooms and on the field constantly. Yes it's the un written rule it's off limits to whites. If we're going to the extreme power it now holds as a cause for firing and dismissal and lawsuits, make it a law so we're all held equally accountable. The results are just as severe as a crime for some, but not others.

He's a ####### obviously. But if we fire, dismiss and cut workers or players from their jobs for stupidity, we'll have no NFL or work force.

I'm NOT saying it should be illegal, just the opposite. We as a society have placed such a repercussion for the use of a word on par with law breaking. No word should have such power. If we do decide it to be the case then, there shouldn't be a double standard about it. If he ends up needing legal council or calling upon the Players Association, it will come into play as we all know it's used in locker rooms and on the field constantly. Yes it's the un written rule it's off limits to whites. If we're going to the extreme power it now holds as a cause for firing and dismissal and lawsuits, make it a law so we're all held equally accountable. The results are just as severe as a crime for some, but not others.

He's a ####### obviously. But if we fire, dismiss and cut workers or players from their jobs for stupidity, we'll have no NFL or work force.
It's all about "intent". His intent was to intimidate and make someone feel less than human. If I call your wife a c##t, she is going to react and you will too, because it's offensive. If I call your 3 year old daughter a F###ing Ret##d, my intent would be to get some kind of a negative response from you no matter if "I" say it's all in good fun. Words have meaning and power. In the line of work I'm in, I can be reprimanded or let go for doing just such a thing.

I'm NOT saying it should be illegal, just the opposite. We as a society have placed such a repercussion for the use of a word on par with law breaking. No word should have such power. If we do decide it to be the case then, there shouldn't be a double standard about it. If he ends up needing legal council or calling upon the Players Association, it will come into play as we all know it's used in locker rooms and on the field constantly. Yes it's the un written rule it's off limits to whites. If we're going to the extreme power it now holds as a cause for firing and dismissal and lawsuits, make it a law so we're all held equally accountable. The results are just as severe as a crime for some, but not others.He's a ####### obviously. But if we fire, dismiss and cut workers or players from their jobs for stupidity, we'll have no NFL or work force.
It's all about "intent". His intent was to intimidate and make someone feel less than human. If I call your wife a c##t, she is going to react and you will too, because it's offensive. If I call your 3 year old daughter a F###ing Ret##d, my intent would be to get some kind of a negative response from you no matter if "I" say it's all in good fun. Words have meaning and power. In the line of work I'm in, I can be reprimanded or let go for doing just such a thing.
Your first 2 sentences don't match the rest of what you typed. His intent was to insult and hurt. Many words do that. It's funny to think he'd be OK had he "just" called the guy a cum sucking MFer who bangs his dad....

Funny thing though....had it been a woman and Cooper called her a whore, would women all over be in an uproar?

Had he been Mexican would this be a big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I'm making an extreme point as to match the ridiculous level this has taken and we all as a society have created. It may actually be simpler to make it a law at this point, sad as that is. And you're right. If he called a Nun a whore who %ks $$ock he'd be fine.

The saddest part is we have great players going into HOF this weekend and this crap is dominating the news

Your first 2 sentences don't match the rest of what you typed.His intent was to insult and hurt. Many words do that. It's funny to think he'd be OK had he "just" called the guy a cum sucking MFer who bangs his dad....

Funny thing though....had it been a woman and Cooper called her a whore, would women all over be in an uproar?

You seem to think that only African Americans are offended, or fining, or potentially cutting Riley.

America thinks the word, used as Riley did, is as ugly as it gets and an indication of character. That is why America is offended and outraged when it is used as such.

Because I'm making an extreme point as to match the ridiculous level this has taken and we all as a society have created. It may actually be simpler to make it a law at this point, sad as that is. And you're right. If he called a Nun a whore who %ks $$ock he'd be fine.

The saddest part is we have great players going into HOF this weekend and this crap is dominating the news
There is plenty of sad in this situation and the fallout from it. I strongly disagree with your conclusion as to what that is, however.

Your first 2 sentences don't match the rest of what you typed.His intent was to insult and hurt. Many words do that. It's funny to think he'd be OK had he "just" called the guy a cum sucking MFer who bangs his dad....

You seem to think that only African Americans are offended, or fining, or potentially cutting Riley.

America thinks the word, used as Riley did, is as ugly as it gets and an indication of character. That is why America is offended and outraged when it is used as such.
I get that. And if it's so heinous make it a law breaking offense.and if you want it to stop make it a universal offense for EVERYONE, otherwise we'll go round and round with this argument and stupidity.

I get that. And if it's so heinous make it a law breaking offense.and if you want it to stop make it a universal offense for EVERYONE, otherwise we'll go round and round with this argument and stupidity.
i congratulate you

this is a new and completely ridiculous argument, i was not sure there would be any NEW ones

bravo my man

If you want to use it, use it. Nobody is stopping you. If you don't think it is wrong, great. If you think it's just a word, to you it is.

It is silly, however, to suggest others shouldn't be offended by it, or pretend that Riley's use of the word is the same as an African American rapper using the word.

I don't think it should be used in rap songs, and it comes off as ignorant and silly to me. But I do understand Thrifty's point on the previous page(s) too. It's not my call; it's the call of each African American individually, and I would hope they have good motives in using it.

But it's not the same thing. You know that, so why pretend differently?

If you want to use it so badly, again, do it. I never understood the desire for people to have a "right" to the word.

Does the punishment meted out, and what the result will be really fir the crime? Seriously.

At the end of the day it's up to the Eagles organization to decide, but he's been fined embarrassed, ostracized and has apologized.

I'm pretty sure most if not all those calling for his head have said ugly, ignorant stupid things out of anger during their lives especially at that age, when used to being treated a certain way as an NFL player. Let's face it, he's used to being able to go where he likes and didn't like not being allowed back stage. Nonsense at this point.. And whether you will admit or not there is a huge double standard in regards to this subject. The players and locker rooms and teams can create a better, finer environment then what we have failed to do as a society and now they're failing as well.

I'm NOT saying it should be illegal, just the opposite. We as a society have placed such a repercussion for the use of a word on par with law breaking. No word should have such power. If we do decide it to be the case then, there shouldn't be a double standard about it. If he ends up needing legal council or calling upon the Players Association, it will come into play as we all know it's used in locker rooms and on the field constantly. Yes it's the un written rule it's off limits to whites. If we're going to the extreme power it now holds as a cause for firing and dismissal and lawsuits, make it a law so we're all held equally accountable. The results are just as severe as a crime for some, but not others.He's a ####### obviously. But if we fire, dismiss and cut workers or players from their jobs for stupidity, we'll have no NFL or work force.

Everyone knows that it's the worst possible thing you can say to a black person. Even if you don't have a racist bone in your body you still know the power the word has to offend. Cooper could be married to a black woman, have black children and still use the word to offend someone he was drunk and pisses off at.

Regarding the nun and women examples, the reason it's such a terrible word to use is because of the history of slavery. Right or wrong, it's treated completely differently than any other word in the English language.

I doubt it would be considered OK, but in the moment he chose to use another word he knew to be inflammatory. If he called a "Mexican" an inflammatory word, you had better believe this would be just as big of a deal. You are living in a cave if you don't think it would be.

i congratulate you

this is a new and completely ridiculous argument, i was not sure there would be any NEW ones

bravo my man
No shock this is over your head, why I should've refrained and saved my typing energy from this discussion

and to be clear

Cooper has not and likely will not lose his job for what he said. He was fined, not even suspended

NOW, he may get cut because he has made it impossible for himself to be a part of their locker room. In football the team has to be a cohesive unit, if he cannot be a part of that he may get cut

the time away from football is because reports are in his one practice he completed drills then stood by himself. They are hopeful time mends this. If not they have to balance his on field worth vs the divide he brings to the locker room and if the pluses don't outweigh the minuses he'll be cut

that's just the way the business works

other people have done worse things, but if it did not divide the locker room it does not impact the team

Does the punishment meted out, and what the result will be really fir the crime? Seriously.

At the end of the day it's up to the Eagles organization to decide, but he's been fined embarrassed, ostracized and has apologized.

I'm pretty sure most if not all those calling for his head have said ugly, ignorant stupid things out of anger during their lives especially at that age, when used to being treated a certain way as an NFL player. Let's face it, he's used to being able to go where he likes and didn't like not being allowed back stage. Nonsense at this point.. And whether you will admit or not there is a huge double standard in regards to this subject. The players and locker rooms and teams can create a better, finer environment then what we have failed to do as a society and now they're failing as well.
the punishment was a fine

everything else is the consequences with his teammates and in the social media

double standard

lololol

tupac said N***** so we can dammit! no justice no peace!!!

poor white people losing the word n*****

what a farce

I am one of the few around here that really like Whitlock. He's more op/ed than sports, but he usually has interesting takes on stories.I agree the guy (Cooper) made a mistake, but like Whitlock said, most folks are to some degree prejudice in regards to race, ethnicity, sex... Most of us just mature to where we keep those biases to ourselves, or only reveal them in private/comfortable situations.

What Cooper did was inexcusable, but I doubt the number of his teammates judging his actions free of ever having commuted predijuce themselves is few to none.

This, IMO isn't a locker splitting or job loss worthy offense.

Everyone knows that it's the worst possible thing you can say to a black person. Even if you don't have a racist bone in your body you still know the power the word has to offend. Cooper could be married to a black woman, have black children and still use the word to offend someone he was drunk and pisses off at.

Regarding the nun and women examples, the reason it's such a terrible word to use is because of the history of slavery. Right or wrong, it's treated completely differently than any other word in the English language.
Which is my main point. He tried to hurt the guy the best way he knew how. I didn't see/hear what the other guy was saying either. Others will jump and say he (Cooper) shouldn't have said it to begin with--BS. That dude said or did something to get him to that point. When you get to that point you may say or do things you regret. That goes for both parties.

And you're 100% right in the second paragraph. How long ago was slavery again?

double standard

lololol

what a farce
I grew up in an all black town and I understand why they can say it...

Still trying to figure out why Asian/Mexican/Puerto Rican/Dominican etc can say it though. Hell, if Riley was half Mexican this is a non-issue. Kind of strange, right? Lol

Bigboy10182000 said:
B-Deep said:
double standard

lololol

what a farce
I grew up in an all black town and I understand why they can say it...

Still trying to figure out why Asian/Mexican/Puerto Rican/Dominican etc can say it though. Hell, if Riley was half Mexican this is a non-issue. Kind of strange, right? Lol
So you think it's OK to go to all of your friends house that you grew up with and call their mothers and fathers the "N" word then? How did that go over when you went there for supper? It's just a word, right?

Bigboy10182000 said:
...Had he been Mexican would this be a big deal?
It was a reasonably big deal when a NBA coach Dan Issel used the word "Mexican" as a bit of a slur when telling off a fan.

Part of the impact though is Cooper having been racist towards a group that includes a large part of his team. If as many Eagles were Mexican-Americans, then yes it would be about as big of a deal.

Bigboy10182000 said:
B-Deep said:
double standard

lololol

what a farce
I grew up in an all black town and I understand why they can say it...Still trying to figure out why Asian/Mexican/Puerto Rican/Dominican etc can say it though. Hell, if Riley was half Mexican this is a non-issue. Kind of strange, right? Lol
So you think it's OK to go to all of your friends house that you grew up with and call their mothers and fathers the "N" word then? How did that go over when you went there for supper? It's just a word, right?
What in the F did I say in these quotes that lead you to that line of questioning?

I wouldn't go to any of my friends parents and say that or any insult for that matter. Who does that? Lol

Bigboy10182000 said:

It was a reasonably big deal when a NBA coach Dan Issel used the word "Mexican" as a bit of a slur when telling off a fan.

Part of the impact though is Cooper having been racist towards a group that includes a large part of his team. If as many Eagles were Mexican-Americans, then yes it would be about as big of a deal.
The team aspect I fully understand. The backlash everywhere else would be non-existent.

Had Cooper been half another race this is nothing. Maybe not unless he still looked white...

Bigboy10182000 said:
B-Deep said:
double standard

lololol

what a farce
I grew up in an all black town and I understand why they can say it...Still trying to figure out why Asian/Mexican/Puerto Rican/Dominican etc can say it though. Hell, if Riley was half Mexican this is a non-issue. Kind of strange, right? Lol
What in the F did I say in these quotes that lead you to that line of questioning?

I wouldn't go to any of my friends parents and say that or any insult for that matter. Who does that? Lol
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were defending the use of the word. I am mistaken I guess.

Bigboy10182000 said:
B-Deep said:
double standard

lololol

what a farce
What in the F did I say in these quotes that lead you to that line of questioning?I wouldn't go to any of my friends parents and say that or any insult for that matter. Who does that? Lol
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were defending the use of the word. I am mistaken I guess.
Even if I were, that was an awful direction you took lol. I wouldn't call one of my friend parent a d-head for nothing lolLike Chris Rock said (or something like this) I don't condone it, but I understand.

I don't know what that guy said to Cooper but he seemed pretty pissed off to me. When you're really pissed then I don't expect rational thinking. If that guy or any guy insulted my kids or something and I had a few in me there wouldn't be a filter.

Bigboy10182000 said:

The team aspect I fully understand. The backlash everywhere else would be non-existent.

Had Cooper been half another race this is nothing. Maybe not unless he still looked white...
You seem to think a Latino or an Asian can use the N word in a deregulatory way against someone who is AA and it would be cool and treated as nothing. From my experience, being another minority does not give one a license to use it against black people, and it would also be viewed as extremely offensive.

Bigboy10182000 said:
B-Deep said:
double standard

lololol

what a farce
What in the F did I say in these quotes that lead you to that line of questioning?I wouldn't go to any of my friends parents and say that or any insult for that matter. Who does that? Lol
Even if I were, that was an awful direction you took lol. I wouldn't call one of my friend parent a d-head for nothing lolLike Chris Rock said (or something like this) I don't condone it, but I understand.

I don't know what that guy said to Cooper but he seemed pretty pissed off to me. When you're really pissed then I don't expect rational thinking. If that guy or any guy insulted my kids or something and I had a few in me there wouldn't be a filter.
The thing is, if you call someone a "MF POS", most reasonable people will understand that you are pissed. If you call someone a "N", most reasonable people will believe that you are a racist. There is a difference between being pissed and being a pissed off racist.

B-Deep said:
and to be clear

Cooper has not and likely will not lose his job for what he said. He was fined, not even suspended

NOW, he may get cut because he has made it impossible for himself to be a part of their locker room. In football the team has to be a cohesive unit, if he cannot be a part of that he may get cut

the time away from football is because reports are in his one practice he completed drills then stood by himself. They are hopeful time mends this. If not they have to balance his on field worth vs the divide he brings to the locker room and if the pluses don't outweigh the minuses he'll be cut

that's just the way the business works

other people have done worse things, but if it did not divide the locker room it does not impact the team
Getting cut would be losing his job wouldn't it? Just listening to Sterling Sharpe on NFLN, it seems like he is thinking Cooper can't last with the Eagles, and will not be welcome in any locker room in the league. No one even batted an eye at this. This kid, who is probably just a big dumb hick, may lose his career over this one word. Absolutely mind boggling when you think of some of the lowlife's that have made a living in this league.

the intent of using a word - any word - is color blind

until black people stop using it - think Jesse Jackson, Obama, Al Sharpton, Rappers, pro sports people, movie stars etc ...... then black people don't have a leg to stand on and they come across idiotic and stupid for suggesting they can use a word but people of certain color skin cannot

that is the truth of it

until black people stop using it - think Jesse Jackson, Obama, Al Sharpton, Rappers, pro sports people, movie stars etc ...... then black people don't have a leg to stand on and they come across idiotic and stupid for suggesting they can use a word but people of certain color skin cannot

that is the truth of it
Here is some more truth as to how other non-black people have used the word in a moment of rage and how it was received. This definitely did not end well..... (BTW, when did President Obama use that word and what context was it in? Or are you just talking out of your 4th point of contact....)

http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/kramers-racist-tirade-caught-on-tape/

that is the truth of it
Indeed, I don't know how many times I have cringed when I have heard Obama use the N word. He must stop using it!

that is the truth of it
Indeed, I don't know how many times I have cringed when I have heard Obama use the N word. He must stop using it!
Oprah needs to put some soap in her mouth as well.

well Obama is as much white as he is black - hard to pin anything on him isn't it ?

remember the times Jesse Jackson said it? probably not ...

how about all the time LsSean McCoy has said it? guarantee Cooper has heard the N word 50 times a day ever since he was in high school playing with black athletes .... but he can't say it too ?

too funny .... a word I can use, but you can't ?

Can I choose a few words I don't want blacks to use? Latino's and Orientals too ... oh, and I don't want Lutheran's and Mormons to use a couple of words, or native American's ... or people from the north, east or western states (I'm from the south, we can use the words, nobody else can) .....

sounds so stupid doesn't it ?

because it is

Users who are viewing this thread