What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Romo looks top 5 to me (1 Viewer)

Zackattack

Footballguy
Romo seems to be a great value in fantasy drafts yearly. I know he can miss a few games at times. The Cowboys did spend some high picks on o-lineman. He has quality WR/TE's and a young stud back. I am pretty happy with what a saw. Will it continue?

Romo seems to be a great value in fantasy drafts yearly. I know he can miss a few games at times. The Cowboys did spend some high picks on o-lineman. He has quality WR/TE's and a young stud back. I am pretty happy with what a saw. Will it continue?
Very possible. He looked great last night. The o-line has to be of concern though. That being said, there won't be a better D-Line he'll face all year so it should be downhill from here.

Not buying it. I do think Romo will be top 10 again but top 5? Giants were one of the worst passing defenses last year. I see no reason to think they'll be significantly better this season.

Giants Cornerbacks that were missing: Terrell Thomas, Prince, Hosley & Coe got injured during the game. They were down to their 6th CB at times.

Not a chance for top 5. That will be one of his better games this year and will be an average game for the likes of Stafford, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers.

Few things to note from last nights game

1) 2 of Ogletree's TDs were against the Giants #5 CB. His third was against the Giants #6 CB. The guy wasn't doing anything magical... he was running straight ahead and Tryon was still blowing the coverage. Romo didn't do anything "outstanding" all of his big plays were on blown coverage's. The Giants played like trash.

2) These replacement ref's are trash. Almost every single offensive snap by the Cowboys had blatant holding on it, Romo dancing around in the backfield on almost every play etc. the only reason he wasn't sacked on half of them was holding. O-Lineman just shoving JPP or Tuck in the back and them falling to the ground with nothing being called. JPP had people wrapping entire arms around his neck with no calls. This went on all night. The big run that Murray broke there was probably about 5 different instances of holding on that one play alone. Once the real refs get back and they can't resort to holding on every single play that O-Line will look even worse than it did last night. Kiwanuka made a statement last night simply saying "I haven't been held this much since I was a baby". Jim Core the "Head Ref" for the night is some D3 ref. They said last night the last game he ref'd for had 1400 people in the stands. The Cowboys winning the game means little to me as if/when the real Refs come back they better hope that line has figured out how to play football. Cause even with the holdings Romo was running for his life on every play. Without the holdings I'd be shocked if he through a single TD all night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few things to note from last nights game

1) 2 of Ogletree's TDs were against the Giants #5 CB. His third was against the Giants #6 CB. The guy wasn't doing anything magical... he was running straight ahead and Tryon was still blowing the coverage. Romo didn't do anything "outstanding" all of his big plays were on blown coverage's. The Giants played like trash.

2) These replacement ref's are trash. Almost every single offensive snap by the Cowboys had blatant holding on it, Romo dancing around in the backfield on almost every play etc. the only reason he wasn't sacked on half of them was holding. O-Lineman just shoving JPP or Tuck in the back and them falling to the ground with nothing being called. JPP had people wrapping entire arms around his neck with no calls. This went on all night. The big run that Murray broke there was probably about 5 different instances of holding on that one play alone. Once the real refs get back and they can't resort to holding on every single play that O-Line will look even worse than it did last night. Kiwanuka made a statement last night simply saying "I haven't been held this much since I was a baby". Jim Core the "Head Ref" for the night is some D3 ref. They said last night the last game he ref'd for had 1400 people in the stands. The Cowboys winning the game means little to me as if/when the real Refs come back they better hope that line has figured out how to play football. Cause even with the holdings Romo was running for his life on every play. Without the holdings I'd be shocked if he through a single TD all night.
:lmao: Give the guy NO CREDIT at all? Come on, you are making yourself look foolish.I'm sure your 2) point was a great one, but I didn't read it after 1)

Romo did a great job last night. He recognized the mismatches and exploited them. The Austin TD was a perfect example. Made Ogletree look like a star. His escapability is also elite. If he can stay healthy he's in for a big year with big stats.

Hasn't Romo always lit up the G-men? Lets see this playout for a few more games. Garrett said he wanted to run the ball more this year.

Romo is a very solid bet to finish top 10 in ppg. He has been incredibly consistent over the last several years, hovering at around 19 ppg in standard 4 point passing touchdown leagues.

He played some of the best ball of his career during the second half of last year. He is a very safe pick to finish top 10 and if he ticks it up a notch he could threaten top 6 but probably not climb into the top 5.

I would think a better defense and a year long running game from Murray might slow him down a bit. That being said, it could be his most efficient year ever. Not sure if that will turn into better fantasy stats or not. Other than that 1 play he made very good decisions. No reason he can't be #4 or #5 overall, and where he was taken will prove to be a great value. Only issue now is that line.

Few things to note from last nights game1) 2 of Ogletree's TDs were against the Giants #5 CB. His third was against the Giants #6 CB. The guy wasn't doing anything magical... he was running straight ahead and Tryon was still blowing the coverage. Romo didn't do anything "outstanding" all of his big plays were on blown coverage's. The Giants played like trash.2) These replacement ref's are trash. Almost every single offensive snap by the Cowboys had blatant holding on it, Romo dancing around in the backfield on almost every play etc. the only reason he wasn't sacked on half of them was holding. O-Lineman just shoving JPP or Tuck in the back and them falling to the ground with nothing being called. JPP had people wrapping entire arms around his neck with no calls. This went on all night. The big run that Murray broke there was probably about 5 different instances of holding on that one play alone. Once the real refs get back and they can't resort to holding on every single play that O-Line will look even worse than it did last night. Kiwanuka made a statement last night simply saying "I haven't been held this much since I was a baby". Jim Core the "Head Ref" for the night is some D3 ref. They said last night the last game he ref'd for had 1400 people in the stands. The Cowboys winning the game means little to me as if/when the real Refs come back they better hope that line has figured out how to play football. Cause even with the holdings Romo was running for his life on every play. Without the holdings I'd be shocked if he through a single TD all night.
Whining about holding is ridiculous. Kiwi got blown up by Murray and had to come up with some excuse for getting destroyed.

Few things to note from last nights game1) 2 of Ogletree's TDs were against the Giants #5 CB. His third was against the Giants #6 CB. The guy wasn't doing anything magical... he was running straight ahead and Tryon was still blowing the coverage. Romo didn't do anything "outstanding" all of his big plays were on blown coverage's. The Giants played like trash.2) These replacement ref's are trash. Almost every single offensive snap by the Cowboys had blatant holding on it, Romo dancing around in the backfield on almost every play etc. the only reason he wasn't sacked on half of them was holding. O-Lineman just shoving JPP or Tuck in the back and them falling to the ground with nothing being called. JPP had people wrapping entire arms around his neck with no calls. This went on all night. The big run that Murray broke there was probably about 5 different instances of holding on that one play alone. Once the real refs get back and they can't resort to holding on every single play that O-Line will look even worse than it did last night. Kiwanuka made a statement last night simply saying "I haven't been held this much since I was a baby". Jim Core the "Head Ref" for the night is some D3 ref. They said last night the last game he ref'd for had 1400 people in the stands. The Cowboys winning the game means little to me as if/when the real Refs come back they better hope that line has figured out how to play football. Cause even with the holdings Romo was running for his life on every play. Without the holdings I'd be shocked if he through a single TD all night.
If you are going to post statements ripping on others for mistakes, the least you should do is be accurate/correct in what you post.1-Ogletree didn't score 3 TDs, he only scored 2. Also, only 1 of his two TDs came against a CB. The first TD came against (rather behind) the LBs on a broken play. Ogletree came across the middle of a zone play. When Romo broke the pocket, the LBs stepped up, and Ogletree broke behind them, to open space (which is what a receiver is supposed to do in that situation). On his second TD, Romo saw single coverage and audibled, Ogletree made a decent double move and beat the CB. Maybe another corner doesn't bite on the move, but that still doesn't change the fact that you were 100% wrong in your assertion that Ogletree just "ran straight ahead." 2-With regards to the refs, you are off-base there, as well. It took them too long to make each call, but they didn't make any egregiously bad calls. Could they have called more holding? Yes, but holding could be called more in EVERY NFL game, regardles of whether it is replacement refs, the regular refs, or Zeus himself officiating the game. Just because you thought (and the Giants complained) un-called holding was happening, doesn't mean it was different than most NFL games.

I think hes gonna do around the same thing he did last year...

31 tds

10 picks

4200 yards

:shrug:

In a normal year those are borderline top 5 numbers, but he got overshadowed because everyone else decided to break records last year, If things regress back to where they were two years ago then I say hes close to QB5, if they stay the same as last year he will be nothing more than a low end QB1.

I'm in the group that thinks its going to regress, but to each his own

Few things to note from last nights game1) 2 of Ogletree's TDs were against the Giants #5 CB. His third was against the Giants #6 CB. The guy wasn't doing anything magical... he was running straight ahead and Tryon was still blowing the coverage. Romo didn't do anything "outstanding" all of his big plays were on blown coverage's. The Giants played like trash.
Wasn't the second touchdown against Corey Webster their #1 cb?Also I thought that was a pretty nice move. It was a basic double move but it looked like he saw webster staring at Romo so he started the double move in Webster's peripheral. Eyeing him the whole time and he broke when Webster reacted. Not saying this guy is the next big receiver but his breaking off for the first td and the double move were two solid plays.Just another weapon for Romo and insurance for Dez or Austin injury.

Butthurt Giant's fan? I'm sure the refs were on the hook to the Cowboys and purposely ignored holding calls when Dallas was on offense. I'm sure Giants DL complaints about holding are totally legit and have nothing to do with the fact that their team was outplayed. I'm also sure that the current standings in the NFC East have Dallas on top and NY dead last.

I love that the refs didnt call holding every play, heck swallow the whistles and let em play. You sound like a bitter giant fan. I dont recall but 1 holding call last night, and as we all know, you can call holding on every single NFL play

I love that the refs didnt call holding every play, heck swallow the whistles and let em play. You sound like a bitter giant fan. I dont recall but 1 holding call last night, and as we all know, you can call holding on every single NFL play
You don't recall but 1 holding because only 1 holding was called. I'm not saying they should have been called on every play. Simple fact is the no-calls were atrocious. On the Murray 48 yard run, Kiwi goes to tackle him all that ends up happening is Kiwi slaps his chest with his left hand because his right hand is being held and his right shoulder pad is being pulled. Watch the replay, the guy grabs him and just throws him to the ground from behind. Probably 8x out of 10 the real refs make that call. That's just one of many that I can give an actual highlight example. There were plenty of plays though where JPP had full arms wrapped around his neck while he was going for tackles, or where they'd let him run by then shove him to the ground from behind. In watching every game and play he'd had in the NFL I've never seen JPP as visually frustrated with the calls as he was last night.

Romo is Romo, his performance shouldn't surprise anyone. After he loses a few games, it also shouldn't come as a surprise.

Fun fact: since he earned the starting job, Tony Romo has averaged more points per game than Peyton Manning. That fact was obscured by the fact that Romo frequently missed a couple games a year, and by last year's explosion, but it's not a stretch to call Romo a top 5 fantasy QB. That's essentially what he's been since he first secured the starting job.

Butthurt Giant's fan? I'm sure the refs were on the hook to the Cowboys and purposely ignored holding calls when Dallas was on offense. I'm sure Giants DL complaints about holding are totally legit and have nothing to do with the fact that their team was outplayed. I'm also sure that the current standings in the NFC East have Dallas on top and NY dead last.
Sounds like it, I thought the refs did fine last night. Holding can be called on every play. I am glad it isn't

No, The only way they will be successful is if they feed Murray the ball. If the coaches don't give him touches they will lose. Plus the Giants DB's are HORRIBLE. They blew countless coverages

If it's all the refs fault for lack of holding calls, why did Eli perform so poorly? Were the refs biased against the home team?

The bar has been raised for top 5. You have to go for 300 yards and 2-3 TDs every single week. It could happen, but I don't think anything that happened in this game makes it much more likely than it seemed 1 day ago. A lot of guys are going to have 300/3 games this year.

That said, I agree there is value in the middle round guys like Romo, Rivers, and the Mannings, who give you a shot at top 5 without the high pricetag.

Fun fact: since he earned the starting job, Tony Romo has averaged more points per game than Peyton Manning. That fact was obscured by the fact that Romo frequently missed a couple games a year, and by last year's explosion, but it's not a stretch to call Romo a top 5 fantasy QB. That's essentially what he's been since he first secured the starting job.
This. I didn't think Romo looked any better or worse than he's always looked. Same as he ever was.Whether that ends up translating into a top 5 FF QB depends on the performance of others, but Romo has always been worthy of being a fantasy starter (when healthy, obviously).

Probably best value at QB this year. Only guy besides Cutler who has a legit shot at QB5-6 than can be had after round 4 in almost all drafts. And Romo's done it more consistently, whereas people have to bank on a major production increase for Cutler.Only grabbed him in one league out of three, but pretty happy I did.

You don't recall but 1 holding because only 1 holding was called. I'm not saying they should have been called on every play. Simple fact is the no-calls were atrocious. On the Murray 48 yard run, Kiwi goes to tackle him all that ends up happening is Kiwi slaps his chest with his left hand because his right hand is being held and his right shoulder pad is being pulled. Watch the replay, the guy grabs him and just throws him to the ground from behind. Probably 8x out of 10 the real refs make that call. That's just one of many that I can give an actual highlight example. There were plenty of plays though where JPP had full arms wrapped around his neck while he was going for tackles, or where they'd let him run by then shove him to the ground from behind. In watching every game and play he'd had in the NFL I've never seen JPP as visually frustrated with the calls as he was last night.
Penalties-Yards (DAL)13-86 (NYG)4-33

I suppose the Giants' OTs tackling Dallas rushers multiple times in the 4th quarter was a perfectly acceptable legal blocking technique. No problem. Carry on.

Holy #### people!! NOTHING has changed from last year with Romo. He's STILL a stud. Funny how perception changes when the Cowboys fix their D and the media can't find a way blame him for a loss. He was doing the same ####### thing last year! His td/int ratio was 3:1 last year. his td/int ratio was 3:1 last nigtht. wtf is wrong with you people??? Do highlights and post game coverage seriously swing your opinions THAT much?

BTW, big fat LOL for all those guys drafting Eli, Rivers, and Peyton over Romo, which I would say was about 70% of the FF community.

Penalties-Yards (DAL)13-86 (NYG)4-33
:lmao:

For all the talk about Romo not being clutch these are the career INT's for Eli and Romo:

Eli full season INT's from recent to oldest:

16, 25, 14, 10, 20, 18, 17.

Romo (mostly) full season INT's from recent to oldest:

10, 09, 14, 19, 13.

Eli has likely had better teams around him especially better defenses which put Romo in bad situations way too often.

Not that Eli isn't good but the Romo bashing has taken on a life of it's own.

If it's all the refs fault for lack of holding calls, why did Eli perform so poorly? Were the refs biased against the home team?
As a Giants fan, I didn't see anything that should be flagrantly called as far as holding, even on the big run by Murray. The reason the Giants lost the game is because they failed to convert Boley's int into a touchdown, and the drive killing drops. Yes the defense played poorly, but they didn't exactly lose us the game. You give any decent QB enough looks at an awful secondary paired with a tired pass rush, and they should pick them apart. Tony Romo didn't really look that great until the third and fourth quarter. The fact that he was playing with a new center though, should say something for Romo. Off the top of my head I would put these QB's ahead of Romo(fantasy wise): Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Stafford, Vick(when healthy). I don't see Newton getting as many rushing TD's this year, and performing more like the second half of last year. So I would say Romo is in the QB6-8 range. I don't think you can't ever blame losses on calls from the refs, that is why I love sports, the human element of the game.

Ehh, I'll give Romo this much credit.

I'd rather start him over Flacco anyday of the week. :thumbup:

perspective is needed into the complete dibacle of what was called a football game last night. The Giants played awful and Ogletree was the benefactor to scrub DB's covering him.

You don't recall but 1 holding because only 1 holding was called. I'm not saying they should have been called on every play. Simple fact is the no-calls were atrocious. On the Murray 48 yard run, Kiwi goes to tackle him all that ends up happening is Kiwi slaps his chest with his left hand because his right hand is being held and his right shoulder pad is being pulled. Watch the replay, the guy grabs him and just throws him to the ground from behind.
Simple fact is that you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.The play was a toss to Murray. Kiwanuka saw it and got outside of the Dallas lineman. The lineman was out of position, and tried to make a block, but didn't even get his hands on Kiwanuka. Kiwanuka overran the play, and couldn't get squared up on Murray, and Murray lowered his shoulder and knocked him on his butt. He wasn't pulled down, he was run over!

For all the talk about Romo not being clutch these are the career INT's for Eli and Romo:Eli full season INT's from recent to oldest:16, 25, 14, 10, 20, 18, 17. Romo (mostly) full season INT's from recent to oldest:10, 09, 14, 19, 13.Eli has likely had better teams around him especially better defenses which put Romo in bad situations way too often.Not that Eli isn't good but the Romo bashing has taken on a life of it's own.
After watching Romo last year a bit more seriously than I normally would (L. Robinson on FF team), I don't get the hate either. If he doesn't muff a hold (should he have even been out there? Your starting QB holds?) and brick against the Jets, we don't really have a reason to get all over him.

BTW, big fat LOL for all those guys drafting Eli, Rivers, and Peyton over Romo, which I would say was about 70% of the FF community.
They are all guys that give you a chance at the top 5 and can be had in the middle rounds. They're all going to have 300/3 outings, but that just isn't very special these days. I don't see where the gloating is coming from.

was gonna post something like this.instead i will list his finishes in fbg scoring. 2, 9, 6, 30, 7. so ya, not a stretch at all for him to finish top 5 if he stays healthy. he has great set of weapons.

You don't recall but 1 holding because only 1 holding was called. I'm not saying they should have been called on every play. Simple fact is the no-calls were atrocious. On the Murray 48 yard run, Kiwi goes to tackle him all that ends up happening is Kiwi slaps his chest with his left hand because his right hand is being held and his right shoulder pad is being pulled. Watch the replay, the guy grabs him and just throws him to the ground from behind.
Simple fact is that you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.The play was a toss to Murray. Kiwanuka saw it and got outside of the Dallas lineman. The lineman was out of position, and tried to make a block, but didn't even get his hands on Kiwanuka. Kiwanuka overran the play, and couldn't get squared up on Murray, and Murray lowered his shoulder and knocked him on his butt. He wasn't pulled down, he was run over!
:goodposting: Definitely no holding on this play, I actually thought it was very well blocked.

Users who are viewing this thread