What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman (1 Viewer)

Buffaloes

Footballguy
What are the board's thoughts on Ronnie Hillman? I've seen some comparisons to Sproles. He looks like a change of pace or receiving back at first glance, which is probably a clear sign on how Denver feels about Moreno. Does this guy have the talent to be a player? Full time RB potential or simply a career COP/3rd down RB/kick returner?

He seems like a smaller framed player that could be expected to hold up a bit better than your average "RB compared to Sproles".

Landed in a great situation to be successful. McGahee doesn't have much left and Moreno may be out of town if he doesn't play well next year.

I think all three of these guys present a dilemma:

Isaiah Pead

LaMichael James

Ronnie Hillman

Lots of talent and opportunity, but all three of them are undersized. Do they get enough touches to be fantasy-relevant?

Sproles is short, but he's a much stockier back. I don't agree with the constant comparisons to him.

He's not a Sproles, he's not a lightning rod. He's got big play ability, but he's an asset between the tackles. Curious to see how others value him because he is now in my rookie top 10. Good not great player, but in a great situation and the competition is very limited.

Lammey more than overjoyed about him on Twitter:

@cecillammey: Ronnie Hillman is LeSean McCoy 2.0 LOVE this pick #broncos

@cecillammey: RH jump cuts like Thurman Thomas used to do back in the day, he TOYS with defenders in open field, big play RB who can score from anywhere

He's not a Sproles, he's not a lightning rod. He's got big play ability, but he's an asset between the tackles. Curious to see how others value him because he is now in my rookie top 10. Good not great player, but in a great situation and the competition is very limited.
Agree with this -- not quite as explosive on the outside as Sproles, but a much better inside runner. If I need a RB I would think about taking him as early as 1.07-1.08 right now. Really like him.

Lammey more than overjoyed about him on Twitter:mad:cecillammey: Ronnie Hillman is LeSean McCoy 2.0 LOVE this pick #broncos@cecillammey: RH jump cuts like Thurman Thomas used to do back in the day, he TOYS with defenders in open field, big play RB who can score from anywhere
Is this the guy that is the reason I have Jeremiah Johnson on my roster.

Hillman isn't Sproles NOR McCoy. He's not even as good as Ray Graham. For a RB who likes to cut so much, Hillman can't see the cutback lanes. The production was there, but not sure why San Diego State ran so much I-formation for someone who isn't a downhill runner.

Lammey more than overjoyed about him on Twitter:mad:cecillammey: Ronnie Hillman is LeSean McCoy 2.0 LOVE this pick #broncos@cecillammey: RH jump cuts like Thurman Thomas used to do back in the day, he TOYS with defenders in open field, big play RB who can score from anywhere
Is this the guy that is the reason I have Jeremiah Johnson on my roster.
Undoubtedly.
IndubitablyI own Orange Julius all over the place :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
How well does RH block?

cuz I'm sure y'all know that if a RB isn't a good blocker or fails to know his assignments, he won't be on the field very long with Peyton Manning.

Damnit Donald!

So, is RH good at blocking, picking up a blitz?

makes a mess of an already messy RB situation there in Denver. fanin looked to be the best back before he was injured. johnson, moreno and ball arestill in the mix somehow too. it will be interesting to see how this takes shape with hillman drafted so early.

From listening to the audible I knew Cecil would explode with the news of this pick.

fanin looked to be the best back before he was injured.
I guess I don't really understand this. He ran a fast 40 and was a decent pass-catching back at Auburn, but he didn't really wow in college despite playing in a system that would seemingly favor a RB with a high level of talent, imo. Undrafted and what did we see to say he looked to be the best back? He was injured before the 1st preseason game. I don't think he's in the mix going into the 2012 season, but I could be wrong. I do think this pick gives some insight on how the franchise views Moreno.

I think it was a solid pick by Denver. Hillman's got a little bit of Jamaal Charles in him; specifically in regard to elite change of direction ability. Hillman does dance too much behind the line though and has a tendency to try too hard to take a rush to the house when it's just not there; but that's a pretty common fault in college backs. With defenses having to play the pass with Manning at QB, I think Hillman can do some big damage running through some big holes and makes for a solid fantasy sleeper in rookie drafts.

Didn't know much about him before today. So I have been watching a few of his highlights Videos. He looks to have 2 things you can't teach, making people miss and speed. I am liking this pick the more I see of him.

In Lammeys defense he spotted McGahee's rise before anyone else and told us about it. I look forward to hear reports from training camp. Would that we had guys with access for the other teams as well.

From the dozen or so scouting reports I have it looks like his pass protection is rated from poor to fair. "Can't be left alone in pass protection" and "not enough strength to pass protect" are some of the comments I've read.

Just can't see McGahee effectively running Peyton's patented stretch play. Hillman's got a great opportunity if he can take advantage of it.

I think Broncos drafted Hillman because he reminds Peyton Manning of Joseph Addai with all those jump/hop cuts.

Ive loved him more than most and believe he hasn't received the respect he deserves...didnt he break some of Marshall Faulk's records???

I think all three of these guys present a dilemma:Isaiah PeadLaMichael JamesRonnie HillmanLots of talent and opportunity, but all three of them are undersized. Do they get enough touches to be fantasy-relevant?Sproles is short, but he's a much stockier back. I don't agree with the constant comparisons to him.
Yup, tough to spot the next Jordan Todman right here...first glance would be Pead maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread