What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie RB Opportunity (1 Viewer)

ratbast

Footballguy
Who will possibly be looking for an RB to carry much of the load from the get go?

Obvious playing time available:

NYG

Clev

Oak

Ariz

Not interested:

Jax

Likely Changes:

Car

Mia

NYJ

Tenn

Possible changes or RBBC:

Ind

NO

Hou

Atl

SF

If any of the top group drafts an RB early I will be interested. (tier edit after post 17)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets belong in the top group. Can't feel happy with what they currently have

Donald Brown is a free agent in Indy. Trent doesn't look the guy he's supposed to be...

For reference, key free agents include: Ben Tate, Darren McFadden, Donald Brown, Rashad Jennings, Toby Gerhart, LaGarrette Blount, Ahmad Bradshaw, Anthony Dixon, and James Starks

Yup added the Jets, but I feel Richardson has the opportunity. Maybe we can put them in group 2.

I think you need to add Tenn to the first group around March 1st

Chris Johnson's salary becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of the league year, he won't take a pay cut, so he'll likely be in the FA pool.

And the owner just fired the head coach essentially for not running the ball enough.

Main competition for carries is Shonn Greene

Who's supposed to be the best rookie RB's coming out?
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014RB.php

Gordon

Cary

Seastrunk

Sankey

Hyde
This Mason kid looks a lot faster then 4.6
When Mason declares, he will be in the hunt for 1st RB selected in FF.
He is my number 1 target in rookie drafts this year. Was hoping he might fall to 6 or 7 at the end of the regular season, but I cant see him outside top 3 now.

I definitely wouldn't have the Jets in the first group...maybe the second. Chris Ivory looked great this year. I could see them going after someone to compliment him, but he will very likely be their main man at RB going into next season.

I definitely wouldn't have the Jets in the first group...maybe the second. Chris Ivory looked great this year. I could see them going after someone to compliment him, but he will very likely be their main man at RB going into next season.
I was an Ivory believer, but what makes you think this? He looked above average at times, but not great, although 4.6 YPC is decent.

If the Giants re-sign Brown then I'd assume it's his job to lose, plus you gotta think that Wilson could be used as the COP, thought he was being over-hyped but he'd be useful in that role.

That's ideal but needs two things to happen. Both are frail and Wilson would not scare me off of an early drafted RB.

If the Giants re-sign Brown then I'd assume it's his job to lose, plus you gotta think that Wilson could be used as the COP, thought he was being over-hyped but he'd be useful in that role.
I think that's to much of an assumption. Brown's had his share of durability issues an it's not like he was tearing it up this year. I'm not even sure if Wilson will ever play again but if he does I'd think he's very much in competition for the job. I don't think he was over hyped either- at least from a talent perspective. His speed, explosiveness and balance are special traits. If he can return to the NFL he just need to work on being a more complete back and cutting down the mental errors but the physical talent is present.

Ari may end up more rbbc. Ellington showed he can play. Not a workhorse. Mendenhall is below average and taylor is nothing special. I could see them draft a rb. Maybe not real high though.

I get that talent prevails, but opportunity seriously influences an RB and they have short careers.

Things can obviously change, but I think Cleveland is the really only true spot for a rookie to be drafted to be the guy. Most of the highly rated rooks are bound to be in RBBC situations, or at best have to beat out incumbents in training camp.

The best spots may be where the proven incumbent is jettisoned, potentially like OAK, TEN or JAX, or behind an aging guy like SJax in ATL. Of course, then you will have guys like CJ, MJD and D-Mac going to other openings.

There is sure to be some musical chairs at the RB position in the offseason, but again, I don't see a lot of spots for a rookie to be given the keys to the castle - at least yet. As it stands now, rookie RBs may be much more valuable in dynasty/keeper leagues this year than redraft.

I know he's not a rookie but he didn't play last year at all.

Latavius Murray has a shot to walk right into a starting job.

Things can obviously change, but I think Cleveland is the really only true spot for a rookie to be drafted to be the guy. Most of the highly rated rooks are bound to be in RBBC situations, or at best have to beat out incumbents in training camp.

The best spots may be where the proven incumbent is jettisoned, potentially like OAK, TEN or JAX, or behind an aging guy like SJax in ATL. Of course, then you will have guys like CJ, MJD and D-Mac going to other openings.

There is sure to be some musical chairs at the RB position in the offseason, but again, I don't see a lot of spots for a rookie to be given the keys to the castle - at least yet. As it stands now, rookie RBs may be much more valuable in dynasty/keeper leagues this year than redraft.
Agreed. Look at the rookie RBs this year, only Lacy and Bell were really given the lead back role. Bernard had a good season, but still was splitting time with BJGE. Ball started to play better towards the end of the season, but still was splitting with Moreno. Ellington played well too, but still had to contend with Mendenhall.

Just hard seeing many RBs coming in and doing anything anymore because of how the league is going these days. There are few situations anymore where there is 1 lead guy. And even some of those, they're still losing carries to their backup.

Jets belong in the top group.
Not really. From Week 9 on, once Ivory was healthy he averaged 75 rushing yards per game (over 8 games) and scored 3 TDs. That's a 1,206 rusing yards 6 TD season (and Geno Smith and Bilal Powell got goal-line carries as well). I think the team is more than happy with him as their starting RB.

That's not to say that the team will absolutely not draft a rookie RB, but given their other needs it would likely be a later round pick. Ivory does get knicked up a lot, of course, and runs violently so he is an injury risk - but the Jets aren't an "obvious" landing spot for a rookie to see major playing time. My guess is that they'll also resign Powell to handle 3rd downs and to spell Ivory pushing a rookie further down the depth chart.

Given the cap room the team will have this year and the number of FA RBS available it wouldn't shock me if they bring in a guy like Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden or a lesser name back as well.

Jets belong in the top group.
Not really. From Week 9 on, once Ivory was healthy he averaged 75 rushing yards per game (over 8 games) and scored 3 TDs. That's a 1,206 rusing yards 6 TD season (and Geno Smith and Bilal Powell got goal-line carries as well). I think the team is more than happy with him as their starting RB.

That's not to say that the team will absolutely not draft a rookie RB, but given their other needs it would likely be a later round pick. Ivory does get knicked up a lot, of course, and runs violently so he is an injury risk - but the Jets aren't an "obvious" landing spot for a rookie to see major playing time. My guess is that they'll also resign Powell to handle 3rd downs and to spell Ivory pushing a rookie further down the depth chart.

Given the cap room the team will have this year and the number of FA RBS available it wouldn't shock me if they bring in a guy like Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden or a lesser name back as well.
Agreed. The Jets obviously have a lot of holes to fill, but I don't see RB near the top of the list. The other skill positions of QB and WR are much bigger issues. At RB, an Ivory/Powell/late round rookie or second tier FA is probably sufficient for 2014 at least.

Not sure why anyone would think Jacksonville wouldn't be interested in a RB. Maybe not from the get go, but they sure have RB issues.

ConnSKINS26 said:
water1 said:

Maybe if he was a RB.
?

Latavius Murray
I think he means he is a RB in a WR body. Maybe? Not sure. He blew up his pro-day and he had a very successful college career. He's just really tall for a RB. He also has a pretty clear path to the starting RB position on the Raiders next season.

ConnSKINS26 said:
water1 said:

Maybe if he was a RB.
?Latavius Murray
I think he means he is a RB in a WR body. Maybe? Not sure. He blew up his pro-day and he had a very successful college career. He's just really tall for a RB. He also has a pretty clear path to the starting RB position on the Raiders next season.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. He's a RB in a WR's body. And he doesn't run like a RB, either.

Yeah i agree. I would just point out that in spite of Murray not running like a traditional rb he has been successful when he's played against good competition in college.

I'm done hijacking this thread now.

Obvious playing time available:

NYG

Clev

Oak

Ariz

Tenn

Im watching these situations if these teams go RB early im interested.:

Ind

NO

Hou

Atl