What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RUMOR...R.Moss could be a patriot by wed. (1 Viewer)

I think there are a lot of delusional people out there. Moss was playing for his last big contract last year and played himself out of the NFL instead after striking out with three teams in the same season. What more incentive did he need last year? Moss is all about the money, and even that couldn't motivate him to play his best.

Why would Moss be any more motivated this year than last year? He wants to win a ring? He was on the Patriots last year and became a problem. He hasn't practiced all training camp. He's going to be more motivated on the same team he was unhappy with . . . but this time playing for the league minimum instead? All he did last year was complain about his pay and about not getting a new contract.

The Pats went 14-2 and scored 518 points essentially without him. Are they going to change everything that worked so well last year to accommodate him and make him the primary threat on offense?

If things were so warm and fuzzy with Moss in the first place, why did they get rid of him? If he were so productive and in such great shape, wouldn't some other team made a big push to sign him? If Moss got any real interest for any amount of money, I doubt he would have retired.

I think there are a lot of delusional people out there. Moss was playing for his last big contract last year and played himself out of the NFL instead after striking out with three teams in the same season. What more incentive did he need last year? Moss is all about the money, and even that couldn't motivate him to play his best.

Why would Moss be any more motivated this year than last year? He wants to win a ring? He was on the Patriots last year and became a problem. He hasn't practiced all training camp. He's going to be more motivated on the same team he was unhappy with . . . but this time playing for the league minimum instead? All he did last year was complain about his pay and about not getting a new contract.

The Pats went 14-2 and scored 518 points essentially without him. Are they going to change everything that worked so well last year to accommodate him and make him the primary threat on offense?

If things were so warm and fuzzy with Moss in the first place, why did they get rid of him? If he were so productive and in such great shape, wouldn't some other team made a big push to sign him? If Moss got any real interest for any amount of money, I doubt he would have retired.
so if i'm reading you right, you wouldn't drop Danario Alexander for him?

I don't think Randy Moss sitting on your roster at the WR6 spot for the first week or to of the season is a bad move. If something else better comes along just cut him like most other NFL teams do. If he pans out or hits a week then trade him. From a FF owner perspective there is no harm in taking a flyer on him.

RB5/WR6 slots on your roster IMO should be on guys that might be long shots but if they hit you could have an every week starter.

so if i'm reading you right, you wouldn't drop Danario Alexander for him?
It probably makes sense for some people to drop dead wood on the chance that Moss *COULD* do something, but I wouldn't throw away someone of value for him. If your league has long rosters and it's easy to get rid of someone that stands little chance of making your fantasy starting lineup, sure, play the lottery.I am in some leagues where whomever I dropped would be swooped up, and depending on the team, could be a fantasy starter if the right team got that player. I am in others where I have 15 bench spots so it wouldn't matter who I dropped, that player would be waiver wire fodder anyway.

My point was more that thinking Moss was going to walk in and be a fantasy force seems highly unlikely at this point.

I don't think Randy Moss sitting on your roster at the WR6 spot for the first week or to of the season is a bad move. If something else better comes along just cut him like most other NFL teams do. If he pans out or hits a week then trade him. From a FF owner perspective there is no harm in taking a flyer on him. RB5/WR6 slots on your roster IMO should be on guys that might be long shots but if they hit you could have an every week starter.
I agree. I picked him up in the 15th round today. What the heck. It's better than carrying a 3rd QB or a WR who is never going to play anyway.See what happens then drop him.

I think there are a lot of delusional people out there. Moss was playing for his last big contract last year and played himself out of the NFL instead after striking out with three teams in the same season. What more incentive did he need last year? Moss is all about the money, and even that couldn't motivate him to play his best.Why would Moss be any more motivated this year than last year? He wants to win a ring? He was on the Patriots last year and became a problem. He hasn't practiced all training camp. He's going to be more motivated on the same team he was unhappy with . . . but this time playing for the league minimum instead? All he did last year was complain about his pay and about not getting a new contract.The Pats went 14-2 and scored 518 points essentially without him. Are they going to change everything that worked so well last year to accommodate him and make him the primary threat on offense?If things were so warm and fuzzy with Moss in the first place, why did they get rid of him? If he were so productive and in such great shape, wouldn't some other team made a big push to sign him? If Moss got any real interest for any amount of money, I doubt he would have retired.
I don't think it's going to happen, but how's this for a contrarian viewpoint:Suppose Moss was phased out in New England because he was essentially pouting and not giving 100% due to his unhappiness that New England had not extended his contract, and the Pats wouldn't stand for it.Suppose that getting phased out in New England and traded, then not finding success in Minnesota and Tennessee showed him the error of his ways.To my knowledge, Moss is still physically capable. Has his physical ability declined significantly since the 2009 season? Let me put it this way... who is more capable/talented right now, Moss or Branch?Suppose that Ochocinco isn't working out well so far, and Branch and/or Welker have lost a step.Suppose those things lead New England to think they would like a stronger deep threat to complement the rest of the offense.Normally at this stage, a team would not try to integrate a player from the outside into its offense in a key role, since that player would be challenged to master the offense. Not an issue with Moss.We know the QB would welcome Moss back, because he just told us so. And the QB may have a bit of influence if he really wants Moss back.We know this team has taken malcontent players in the past. Case in point, they took on Moss the first time. And this type of situation has often worked out well for them.Suppose that, properly chastened from last year's experience, Moss would not be expensive to take on.That's a lot of supposing, but how much of that is far off base? It's this kind of scenario that could justify parking Moss at the end of your bench for a couple of weeks, just to see.

I don't think Randy Moss sitting on your roster at the WR6 spot for the first week or to of the season is a bad move. If something else better comes along just cut him like most other NFL teams do. If he pans out or hits a week then trade him. From a FF owner perspective there is no harm in taking a flyer on him. RB5/WR6 slots on your roster IMO should be on guys that might be long shots but if they hit you could have an every week starter.
If I had a WR6 slot open because the previous guy in that slot went on IR, I might spend it on Moss. But at this point there aren't many guys I'd have in that slot that I would drop to put Moss in it.The guy did NOTHING last year. Why would I cut a player who is trying to make an impact for a guy that either can't anymore or is so much the selfish, delusional ### that he won't?Moss had every reason and 3 chances to do something last year...one of them with a playoff contender no less. And in each case he failed miserably. After the Pats sent him packing he didn't have anything to prove? And what about when the Vikings cut bait with him? And when in Tennessee he still couldn't muster the effort to get open? But now this season he's suddenly got something to prove? If he had any character, he would've done something last year. But at his age he's too set in his ways for a light to come on. He's more likely to get pissed in a practice and walk-off the team than he is to make an impact in the box score. He and Tiki can go buy each other a round or two and console each other in their amazement that NFL teams aren't beating down their doors.

I have to think if you have roster depth, than why not? If he were to come back to the Pats, I would have to think it's on BB's terms. In addition, he knows the playbook or at least has familiarity with it that it shouldn't be long to ramp back up. In my mind, this makes sense for the Patriots if they are concerned about their passing game, and they feel confident that he is going to play. To be honest, they can probably get him on the cheap. Thinking what TO and Ocho did together, I would think Moss and Ocho with Welker in the slot and their 2 TE sets gives NE an additional dimension to defend against.

From a fantasy perspective, I agree with Yud though. While this makes the Pats better as a NFL team, I think it diminishes the fantasy value of all the Pats receivers. More mouths to feed.

Course all this is based on whether or not Moss still has juice in the tank.

We know the QB would welcome Moss back, because he just told us so. And the QB may have a bit of influence if he really wants Moss back.
We know Brady said the words, but did he really mesan them? He had the chance to keep him around last year, yet didn't. If Brady really wanted him in a Pats uni, Moss never would have played anywhere else. From what I can tell, Brady was involved in providing input on trading Moss. But this year they are best buds. It doesn't add up.What else could Brady say? Moss was a bum and I had him shipped out of town? He'd never say that. How many divoced couples get back together and things work out the second time? COULD it happen, sure. Would it happen, probably not.There are now so many other weapons offensively that I don't see Moss putting up big numbers even if he came back. If Moss can live with being a bit player, it might work out, but fantasy wise I don't see him doing anywhere near as well as he did earlier in NE.

Look, if The pats are willing to take on Haynesworth, the biggest 100m baby in the world who is still out of shape and hasn't done squat in 3 years, why not take another flyer on Randy? You know, the guy who frigging scored 23 tds for you 2 years ago!

If he really loves the Pats like he's been moaning about, then fine. Toss him a mil laddened with incentives and see what he does. He already knows the system anyway.

Disclaimer: I took a 15th round flyer on him. Come on Randy! Go get me..er...you that ring!

If Moss was all about money, he would have signed with a cellar-dweller team this year.I think your arguments are exaggerated and clouded by your Patriot homerism.

We know the QB would welcome Moss back, because he just told us so. And the QB may have a bit of influence if he really wants Moss back.
We know Brady said the words, but did he really mesan them? He had the chance to keep him around last year, yet didn't. If Brady really wanted him in a Pats uni, Moss never would have played anywhere else. From what I can tell, Brady was involved in providing input on trading Moss. But this year they are best buds. It doesn't add up.What else could Brady say? Moss was a bum and I had him shipped out of town? He'd never say that.
Brady could easily have given a stock answer. Something like, "I love Randy Moss, and I enjoyed playing with him, but we have a great set of players on the team now, and I'm confident they will perform very well this season. I hope Randy enjoys retirement if that's what he wants, or, if he wants to play football, I hope he finds a team that is a great fit for him very soon."Instead, he said he would welcome Randy back to the Pats. I don't think it means he is coming back, but I also don't think it obviously means nothing, as you seem to suggest here. :shrug:

If Moss was all about money, he would have signed with a cellar-dweller team this year.I think your arguments are exaggerated and clouded by your Patriot homerism.
I think you're very foolish to call out David here for giving his opinion. I'd wager that he's closer to the mark on this issue than you are.

Keep going folks. You've already eclipsed the Moss to Minny thread but are still lagging the Moss to Tenn thread.

If I was clouded by Patriots homerism, I would be saying Moss would have a 1200/10 season.Moss didn't sign with a bottom feeder because he didn't get offers from bottom feeders for the type of money he wanted. He still wanted to be paid like a premier WR even after his dreadful year last season. Sure, he would have preferred to get a nice contract from a contender, but the meh teams weren't biting much either. Moss still thinks of himself as a difference maker and wants to be paid like one. It's not 2007. Let's face it, the kids aren't exactly dressing up as The Scorcher for Purim anymore.If he can live with being a role player and can deal with 40 catches for 500 yards and some red zone TD, then things might work out in NE if he could keep his mouth shut.

We know Brady said the words, but did he really mesan them? He had the chance to keep him around last year, yet didn't. If Brady really wanted him in a Pats uni, Moss never would have played anywhere else. From what I can tell, Brady was involved in providing input on trading Moss. But this year they are best buds. It doesn't add up.What else could Brady say? Moss was a bum and I had him shipped out of town? He'd never say that.
Brady could easily have given a stock answer. Something like, "I love Randy Moss, and I enjoyed playing with him, but we have a great set of players on the team now, and I'm confident they will perform very well this season. I hope Randy enjoys retirement if that's what he wants, or, if he wants to play football, I hope he finds a team that is a great fit for him very soon."Instead, he said he would welcome Randy back to the Pats. I don't think it means he is coming back, but I also don't think it obviously means nothing, as you seem to suggest here. :shrug:
He also said he wanted Troy Brown and David Patten back.Maybe he really, truly likes playing with Randy. It doesn't change the fact that he didn't last year. Where was Brady's outrage that they traded Moss last year? There wasn't any . . . because Brady wanted Moss gone.Maybe things really are different this year, but IMO it seems like a lot to forgive and forget and have a much greater outcome this time around.If it does, great, it would only make the Patriots better if it worked out. But I think it has a greater chance of ruffling some feathers and things get snippy again. That's just my opinion, it doesn't make it right or wrong.Since Moss left, Gronk and Hernandez developed. Branch and Ochocinco were added and Price is ready to get some playing time. Welker is a year further removed from surgery. Woodhead came to town. Faulk should be coming back. Two rookie RBs were added. There are now a bunch more contributors than when Moss was there last.They were 14-2 without him. Would he really make them that much better?

I think you're very foolish to call out David here for giving his opinion. I'd wager that he's closer to the mark on this issue than you are.
He's not just giving his opinion -- he's either presenting his opinion as fact.....OR he's implying that his opinion is somehow more meaningful because he has some sort of vague connection to people who may or may not work for the Patriots.He says Moss is all about money, yet he offers nothing to support that claim. Really? If Moss was all about money, why didn't he sign with a team in the offseason? Why wasn't his agent working the phones? Why isn't he doing reality TV shows or commercial endorsements or corporate speaking gigs? If Randy Moss was all about the money, as David Yudkin claims with such authority, then why didn't Moss hold out last year, or any year for that matter?

As for being foolish to call out David......I remember similar comments last year.....when Yudkin was poor-mouthing the fantasy prospects of BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Anyone who dared to question him was met with derisive shilling from fanboys and lapdogs. Shame.

Look, if The pats are willing to take on Haynesworth, the biggest 100m baby in the world who is still out of shape and hasn't done squat in 3 years, why not take another flyer on Randy? You know, the guy who frigging scored 23 tds for you 2 years ago!

If he really loves the Pats like he's been moaning about, then fine. Toss him a mil laddened with incentives and see what he does. He already knows the system anyway.

Disclaimer: I took a 15th round flyer on him. Come on Randy! Go get me..er...you that ring!
No, who is that guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
He also said he wanted Troy Brown and David Patten back.Maybe he really, truly likes playing with Randy. It doesn't change the fact that he didn't last year. Where was Brady's outrage that they traded Moss last year? There wasn't any . . . because Brady wanted Moss gone.Maybe things really are different this year, but IMO it seems like a lot to forgive and forget and have a much greater outcome this time around.If it does, great, it would only make the Patriots better if it worked out. But I think it has a greater chance of ruffling some feathers and things get snippy again. That's just my opinion, it doesn't make it right or wrong.Since Moss left, Gronk and Hernandez developed. Branch and Ochocinco were added and Price is ready to get some playing time. Welker is a year further removed from surgery. Woodhead came to town. Faulk should be coming back. Two rookie RBs were added. There are now a bunch more contributors than when Moss was there last.They were 14-2 without him. Would he really make them that much better?
Who is the deep threat? As good as the offense is, could it be better with a stronger deep threat?Note that I have said I merely took a contrarian view here. I don't expect it to happen. I have just presented a case for how it could happen.

He's not just giving his opinion -- he's either presenting his opinion as fact.....OR he's implying that his opinion is somehow more meaningful because he has some sort of vague connection to people who may or may not work for the Patriots.He says Moss is all about money, yet he offers nothing to support that claim. Really? If Moss was all about money, why didn't he sign with a team in the offseason? Why wasn't his agent working the phones? Why isn't he doing reality TV shows or commercial endorsements or corporate speaking gigs? If Randy Moss was all about the money, as David Yudkin claims with such authority, then why didn't Moss hold out last year, or any year for that matter?

As for being foolish to call out David......I remember similar comments last year.....when Yudkin was poor-mouthing the fantasy prospects of BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Anyone who dared to question him was met with derisive shilling from fanboys and lapdogs. Shame.
I'm not sure how anyone can present "fact" on a signing that hasn't happened yet and a season that hasn't been played.Since you brought up BJGE, if you really want to go there, we can reflect on what happened.

At the start of last year, my opinion given the circumstances at the time was that BJGE was just another back in a crowded backfield that included Maroney, Taylor, Faulk, and Morris. At that time, it seemed reasonable to think that Green Ellis would not play a big role.

Just like every other season FOR YEARS, I again indicated that with injuries, if someone were to get a big workload due to injuries, that guy would be worth starting fantasywise. Maroney got traded. Faulk went on IR. Taylor got hurt. That set the stage for BJGE.

Two other things happened. Brady himself said Morris would be taking over and they had faith in him as he had done well for NE in the past. But Morris as it turned out did not get the call.

Instead it went to Green Ellis, who even Belichick described as someone with average speed, no moves, and who best asset was running straight ahead and trying to move a pile. That didn't sound like a great description of a RB. Even with a solid season under his belt, the Pats went out and added not one but two running backs with (on paper) a greater skill set than BJGE. Even today, it does not seem like the Pats are totally on board with BJGE as their primary back. Yes, that is OPINION, so that is open to debate. No, I do not know with any certainty what NE things about Green Ellis, but their actions seem to show that they were looking for RB help.

Just like everyone else, I can have an opinion, and just like everyone else, my opinion can turn out to be wrong.

To your point, I do not know anyone that works directly for the Patriots, but I know several people that are in the locker room on a regular basis. I generally will say if what I am posting is MY OPINION or if what I am posting is WHAT SOMEONE TOLD me.

Anyone can feel free to agree or disagree with me or believe or not believe the information I post. In this case, sure, Moss could come back and have a storybook season, but I think that is unlikely. Is it worth a late round flyer or dropping the last guy on your bench to find out? Probably. Is it worth dropping someone of real value for? Probably not. I just happen to think that folks hoping that Randy Moss could make their fantasy season seems like a bit of a stretch, but if people are astute enough to grab him and things work out, hats off to you for getting in early on Moss.

Yudkin was a week early with the Branch trade last year, enabling a lot of us to snag him for peanuts. He's a great asset to this board and I always appreciate hearing his opinion.

Straight cash hommie...no offense to our resident Patriots expert but I let go of law firm based on my own laziness to listen to someone on a message board. My own gut told me to keep the guy. It's ok I'm not mad, but I realized that most of us on here are just as full of crap as the next guy and no one really knows more than anyone else. I appreciate Yudkin's insight on the Pats and other local authorities I eat the info up like a juicy steak cooked medium rare but at the end of the day I realize most if not all info on here is mostly conjecture and is meant for me to use as a tool not as hard facts. IF Moss came back to NE I very easily could see 10 TD's. He is still more talented than many WR in the league.

I'm not sure how anyone can present "fact" on a signing that hasn't happened yet and a season that hasn't been played.Since you brought up BJGE, if you really want to go there, we can reflect on what happened.

At the start of last year, my opinion given the circumstances at the time was that BJGE was just another back in a crowded backfield that included Maroney, Taylor, Faulk, and Morris. At that time, it seemed reasonable to think that Green Ellis would not play a big role.

Just like every other season FOR YEARS, I again indicated that with injuries, if someone were to get a big workload due to injuries, that guy would be worth starting fantasywise. Maroney got traded. Faulk went on IR. Taylor got hurt. That set the stage for BJGE.

Two other things happened. Brady himself said Morris would be taking over and they had faith in him as he had done well for NE in the past. But Morris as it turned out did not get the call.

Instead it went to Green Ellis, who even Belichick described as someone with average speed, no moves, and who best asset was running straight ahead and trying to move a pile. That didn't sound like a great description of a RB. Even with a solid season under his belt, the Pats went out and added not one but two running backs with (on paper) a greater skill set than BJGE. Even today, it does not seem like the Pats are totally on board with BJGE as their primary back. Yes, that is OPINION, so that is open to debate. No, I do not know with any certainty what NE things about Green Ellis, but their actions seem to show that they were looking for RB help.

Just like everyone else, I can have an opinion, and just like everyone else, my opinion can turn out to be wrong.

To your point, I do not know anyone that works directly for the Patriots, but I know several people that are in the locker room on a regular basis. I generally will say if what I am posting is MY OPINION or if what I am posting is WHAT SOMEONE TOLD me.

Anyone can feel free to agree or disagree with me or believe or not believe the information I post. In this case, sure, Moss could come back and have a storybook season, but I think that is unlikely. Is it worth a late round flyer or dropping the last guy on your bench to find out? Probably. Is it worth dropping someone of real value for? Probably not. I just happen to think that folks hoping that Randy Moss could make their fantasy season seems like a bit of a stretch, but if people are astute enough to grab him and things work out, hats off to you for getting in early on Moss.
I appreciate you man :excited:

lol.. but on a side note.. Most likely Moss will not come back, but right now he is saying all the right things because he has the "itch" to play.. and he realized that he screwed everything up near the end of his HoF career.... He left football without a ring, and he knows the Patriots are very close to making that happen.. and thinks he could give them that extra edge on Offense... now will the Patriots give him another chance???

That remains the question.. a guy that made a big deal about his contract last year...I think the Patriots broke his heart lol... but we'll see how well their offense does through the first few weeks.... if they suck balls like they did against the Lions DEF... than this topic will heat up... when you have a HoF WR wanting to join your team, the QB is cool with it... and your offense isn't clicking....

but for the time being... he is worthy of a deep spot on your roster over guys that are holding some "potential"... because we all know that ever since his rookie year... Moss has had the "biggest potential" out of any WR during his career to destroy the league and take you to a title.... he is older now... but Tom Brady would make him valuable... 60 rec, 800 yds, 10tds would be very reasonable.. and incredible value for a WR 3 that you snagged on the WW that all of us who grabbed him are hoping for....

If you can afford it than grab him in hopes he "finally grows up" and becomes a team player.. and goes out in his career the honorable way instead of a "big cry baby".... and please stop posting "SHOULD I DROP THIS GUY FOR MOSS??".... if you do not know whether or not you should drop a player for Randy Moss who ISN'T ON A TEAM YET... than you should be put in timeout from this board for a week and shouldn't be allowed to post...

just my two cents

'DeaLerZ said:
but for the time being... he is worthy of a deep spot on your roster over guys that are holding some "potential"... because we all know that ever since his rookie year... Moss has had the "biggest potential" out of any WR during his career to destroy the league and take you to a title.... he is older now... but Tom Brady would make him valuable... 60 rec, 800 yds, 10tds would be very reasonable.. and incredible value for a WR 3 that you snagged on the WW that all of us who grabbed him are hoping for....
You (and everyone else) can feel free to project whatever you want about how well Moss would do if he returned to NE.But I just don't see him having a 60-800-10 season ON THE TEAM CURRENTLY PUT TOGETHER in New England. As outlined earlier, NE has a TON of weapons, many of which were not around or established last year . . . when Moss had only 9 catches in 4 games.

If Moss were low many on the totem pole then, why should we believe that he will jump to the head of the class when:

- Woodhead was brought in, Faulk will be returning (probably), Vereen & Ridley were added

- They acquired Ochocinco this year

- They acquired Deion Branch last year

- Gronkowksi and Hernandez have emerged

- Price looks ready to see some playing time when he was a healthy scratch pretty much all last year

I don't see where it's in the team's best interest to try to appease Moss when they scored 518 points (or whatever the number was) without him. They had a goof thing going last year and added some additional pieces this year even without Moss.

Perhaps a better question (at least in my mind) is who gets benched and/or who has there projected production slashed to accommodate Moss' return if it were to happen?

Even if we take Brady's comments at face value, I am not so sure the 52 other guys on the team, the coaches, and the front office would be as on board to have Moss return.

This may all be for naught anyway, as for now he's not a Patriot.

'[scooter] said:
'David Yudkin said:
I hate to say it because I respect Yudkin so much but :goodposting:

Um, I think this needs to be discussed later IF Moss were to sign. All this "what if" talk is doing absolutely nothing but wasting time.

People are forgetting that Moss simply doesn't have it anymore. It was painfully obvious last year.

Who cares if he resigns? Nothing to see here.

People are forgetting that Moss simply doesn't have it anymore. It was painfully obvious last year.Who cares if he resigns? Nothing to see here.
A lot of people were saying exactly this the first time he joined NE.231113Number of TDs in his first three seasons there when he was happy. I'm not buying that he suddenly lost it last year. I think his heart just wasn't in it and that reflected in his play, like when he was with the Raiders. If the Pats resign him, he has value. Worth the lottery ticket this week and maybe next if you ask me.

'[scooter] said:
'David Yudkin said:
This assumes that he had an offer from a cellar-dweller and that offer was semi lucrative, I highly doubt any GM of a cellar dweller in their right mind realizes that bringing is Moss could easily cost them their job if things turn sour which is more likely than not on a bad team knowing his history. There is absolutely no reason for a bad or rebuilding team to even think about bringing him in, they have absolutely nothing to gain.

Friend of mine who works at Gilette in foxboro text me that he heard around work that Randy Moss could be signed by wed sept 7th...just a rumor...but i just dropped a bench player and grabbed moss just in case he is right...if not oh well , no biggie :banned:
BK,Now that it's Wednesday and a good number of us have rostered Moss based on your insight here, will you please do us the favor of following up with your friend to find out the latest. If it turns out Moss is no longer in the plans, no biggie, but I'd like to move on to the next lottery ticket before the season starts if that's the case.Thanks! :thumbup:

A lot of people were saying exactly this the first time he joined NE.

Number of TDs in his first three seasons there when he was happy. I'm not buying that he suddenly lost it last year. I think his heart just wasn't in it and that reflected in his play, like when he was with the Raiders. If the Pats resign him, he has value. Worth the lottery ticket this week and maybe next if you ask me.
People seem to ignore the fact that Moss was only targeted 4 times in his last 2 games in New England (was that Bill Belichick sending a message??). Or that he averaged 9.5 fantasy points per game in Minnesota before the rails went off the track.The potential was still there. And it still could be, if Moss could summon enough motivation.

Sadly, however, I don't think Moss is capable of that. He's not Jerry Rice. When Jerry Rice hit the wall, he worked harder than ever before and re-dedicated himself to his craft. But since Moss never trained very hard when he was younger, he doesn't know how to train hard at age 34.

Sadly, however, I don't think Moss is capable of that. He's not Jerry Rice. When Jerry Rice hit the wall, he worked harder than ever before and re-dedicated himself to his craft. But since Moss never trained very hard when he was younger, he doesn't know how to train hard at age 34.
This is false. Moss has always trained hard and probably still does even though he is not playing. Moss has had issues staying motivated on the field but he's always trained hard enough to play great if he wanted too.

A lot of people were saying exactly this the first time he joined NE.

Number of TDs in his first three seasons there when he was happy. I'm not buying that he suddenly lost it last year. I think his heart just wasn't in it and that reflected in his play, like when he was with the Raiders. If the Pats resign him, he has value. Worth the lottery ticket this week and maybe next if you ask me.
People seem to ignore the fact that Moss was only targeted 4 times in his last 2 games in New England (was that Bill Belichick sending a message??). Or that he averaged 9.5 fantasy points per game in Minnesota before the rails went off the track.The potential was still there. And it still could be, if Moss could summon enough motivation.

My point is that he has clearly shown that there are two Randy Mosses. The motivated one and the disgruntled one. If he comes back to the Pats motivated this year, I can easily see him making one more run at top ten WR status. This offense is a monster and the only thing it lacks is a legit deep threat. I'm not a buyer that he lost a step last year. I see it more that he lost his heart (again).

'[scooter] said:
'David Yudkin said:
Perhaps Yudkin could have said 'easy money'. Clearly Moss doesn't care too much about football and has enough money to stay rich the rest of his life so it would take a lot of money and a chance at a SB for him to bother with football again.

'[scooter] said:
'David Yudkin said:
Perhaps Yudkin could have said 'easy money'. Clearly Moss doesn't care too much about football and has enough money to stay rich the rest of his life so it would take a lot of money and a chance at a SB for him to bother with football again.
I don't think either of these things is clear.

I moved Pettigrew for a draft pick, so it opened up a roster spot for me. So I went ahead and added Moss. Why not? If he doesn't play, then just cut him for the hot early season waiver wire guy.

'JamesTheScot said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
If I had a WR6 slot open because the previous guy in that slot went on IR, I might spend it on Moss. But at this point there aren't many guys I'd have in that slot that I would drop to put Moss in it.The guy did NOTHING last year. Why would I cut a player who is trying to make an impact for a guy that either can't anymore or is so much the selfish, delusional ### that he won't?Moss had every reason and 3 chances to do something last year...one of them with a playoff contender no less. And in each case he failed miserably. After the Pats sent him packing he didn't have anything to prove? And what about when the Vikings cut bait with him? And when in Tennessee he still couldn't muster the effort to get open? But now this season he's suddenly got something to prove? If he had any character, he would've done something last year. But at his age he's too set in his ways for a light to come on. He's more likely to get pissed in a practice and walk-off the team than he is to make an impact in the box score. He and Tiki can go buy each other a round or two and console each other in their amazement that NFL teams aren't beating down their doors.
I agree with Yudkin about not dropping anyone of value to pick him up, but...The claim that because he didn't produce on three teams last year means he is incapable of producing...is weak.I don't know what happened in NE. And being shipped out midseason is not a good sign.But, I do know about Minnesota. The problem there was that Brad Childress could not tolerate a player like Moss who speaks his mind. Why he traded for him I have no idea. Desperation. Childress is a horrible coach, which is why HE is no longer with the Vikings either. The QB situation in MN was horrible too. So between bonehead Childress and a broken Favre, I don't see how you can blame Moss.Tenn is no better and again, it is interesting that THEIR HC is gone as is THEIR QB. And for whatever reason, Moss was never really given a chance to produce on the field there. He was buried on the depth chart. Maybe it was trying to learn his third playbook in the same season--that's a pretty major hurdle most people have no clue about.Now, Moss isn't fat or visbily slow, so I don't think this is a case of his body just getting old. I think it is a case of him being with teams that just don't like having a player who speaks their mind. That's always been Moss, and frankly, I like that about him. His talen is not other worldly anymore though, so not too many egomaniac HC's will put up with it.

%26%2339%3BDavid Yudkin said:
They were 14-2 without him. Would he really make them that much better?
Did they win the Super Bowl? No? Then they SHOULD be trying to get better.
Whether they won the SB or not, all teams should try to get better. But I will repeat the question. Does adding Moss make the Pats a better team?
:shrug: I think the answer is Yes. Welker is banged-up, dealing with a neck injury, and possibly still not 100% from his torn ACL. Ochocinco is 32 years old. Both players are on the downsides of their career, at a position where players are known to hit the wall quickly and permanently.

'David Yudkin said:
They were 14-2 without him. Would he really make them that much better?
Did they win the Super Bowl? No? Then they SHOULD be trying to get better.
Whether they won the SB or not, all teams should try to get better. But I will repeat the question. Does adding Moss make the Pats a better team?
And I'll respond by saying that it depends on which Moss shows up.

There's no way they take him back. How quickly people forget why they dumped him in the first place. Once they extended Brady and told Moss they wouldn't extend him (before that even), the guy started doing the thing he always does. That last game with the pats vs. Miami (from simmons) he didn't catch a pass, missed blocks, nearly got punched by the quarterbacks coach at halftime and couldn't be calmed down on the team's plane ride home. This was all less than a year ago. For the pats to bring him back Belichick would have to have a major change of heart or be so desperate that he'd be willing to deal with that again. Never say never I guess but bringing him back would be way more shocking than when they dumped him in the first place.

I think people are blowing this Moss coming back way out of proportion. Just because he told a reporter that the only team he would come out of retirement for is the Patriots doesn't mean they want him back. A Boston radio station asked Brady during a weekly radio chat if he would welcome Moss back and he said yes because they were friends, so was David Patten, Troy Brown, etc. It wasn't like he came out and vouched to bring back Moss. Like a previous poster said, the only way the Patriots would even consider Moss is if they had injuries to Welker and Ochocinco and the receiving corps became decimated. I put the chance of Moss coming back at less then 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread