What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (1 Viewer)

'Dr. Octopus said:
'menobrown said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'menobrown said:
'cstu said:
'dewmass said:
I really wish KC would take a sniff here....they could go BPA at #1 overall and maybe trade their high second for Mallet...if he was in this draft class I think he would easily be the #1 pick....
You have to think they'd struggle to sell another Pats QB to the fan base
For a 2014 2nd and two years left on a cheap rookie deal I don't think it would be that difficult. Much different that the Cassel trade where they had to give him a huge deal.
Mallet is a poor fit for Reid's scheme. I'd put his velocity up against anyone in the NFL but unless he's improved a lot from college he's not very accurate. Not a true WC QB.To me the team that seems like a perfect fit for Mallet is Arizona. That's a coach preaching the deep pass which is not Kolb's or Alex Smith's strength. In this draft you have two big armed guys, Glennon and Bray but neither seem remotely ready to lead a team next year.
They better improve that o-line first, because Mallet is a statue.
So are Peyton and Brady. Kolb's pretty mobile and gets treated like a pinata weekly. Scrambling ability is overrated when it comes to avoiding sacks. Making quick reads and getting the ball out of your hands is so much more critical to not taking sacks. Not saying Mallet can do those things but I think that has a lot more to do with avoiding sacks than moblility.
Peyton has a quick release and Brady moves well within the pocket - Mallet has a slower release and can't move well at all. I don't disagree that he fits the downfield attack style and I think he's a good QB - I just think he'd get killed there (but to be fair anyone would, as you mention with Kolb).
What's wrong with his release here?
Nothing, but he also had plenty of time in the pocket. You don't think Mallet's release is slower than Manning or Brady's? That's all I said if you read through the above quotes.

I watched his per season game vs Jac last night. He has an absolute rocket of an arm. His release is pitcher like. It is possible to slow that down with some work of starting with the ball higher up...to an extent. If this guy is professional, Ide like to believe he would be more consistant than college.... Unless he continues to do drugs and get wasted. He scored a 26 on the wonderlic and probably didnt study much. So it's not like he's dumb, even though he may still be a "white rapper" -(John Clayton). At least he's. not rainbow unicorn Mark Sanchez. It seems like the only thing holding this kid from starting on a team are the owners. The kid is young, 24, so there's nothing wrong with giving him a few years to get over his immaturity. (White trash) cough :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bogeys said:
:confused: he was under 60% in college, which isn't good.
Nearly 65% his junior year and back to back seasons of 30+ TD's and a 9.7 YPA.
Having watched most of his games in college I can tell you he is really inconsistent. He will make some throws 40 yards down the field that will make you go :shock: :eek: :thumbup: the very next series he will throw into triple coverage right to the DB.His biggest problem, and I hope the NFL coaches and watching Brady would help this, is that he trusts his arm and accuracy too much IMO. He tries to fit balls in that tight window and believes he can do it every time. When it works it is really fun to watch, when it doesn't :wall: Have to take the good with the bad with Mallet and if he can make better decisions he could be a very good NFL QB.
I think his biggest problem was WRs dropping all his passes. Then he was forced to make passes he shouldn't have made to just get back into the game. E carried Arkansas.

'Dr. Octopus said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'menobrown said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'menobrown said:
'cstu said:
I really wish KC would take a sniff here....they could go BPA at #1 overall and maybe trade their high second for Mallet...if he was in this draft class I think he would easily be the #1 pick....
You have to think they'd struggle to sell another Pats QB to the fan base
For a 2014 2nd and two years left on a cheap rookie deal I don't think it would be that difficult. Much different that the Cassel trade where they had to give him a huge deal.
Mallet is a poor fit for Reid's scheme. I'd put his velocity up against anyone in the NFL but unless he's improved a lot from college he's not very accurate. Not a true WC QB.To me the team that seems like a perfect fit for Mallet is Arizona. That's a coach preaching the deep pass which is not Kolb's or Alex Smith's strength. In this draft you have two big armed guys, Glennon and Bray but neither seem remotely ready to lead a team next year.
They better improve that o-line first, because Mallet is a statue.
So are Peyton and Brady. Kolb's pretty mobile and gets treated like a pinata weekly. Scrambling ability is overrated when it comes to avoiding sacks. Making quick reads and getting the ball out of your hands is so much more critical to not taking sacks. Not saying Mallet can do those things but I think that has a lot more to do with avoiding sacks than moblility.
Peyton has a quick release and Brady moves well within the pocket - Mallet has a slower release and can't move well at all. I don't disagree that he fits the downfield attack style and I think he's a good QB - I just think he'd get killed there (but to be fair anyone would, as you mention with Kolb).
What's wrong with his release here?
Nothing, but he also had plenty of time in the pocket. You don't think Mallet's release is slower than Manning or Brady's? That's all I said if you read through the above quotes.
Sports science said he has one of the fastest releases in the NFL.

The Cardinals have to find a way a to get Mallett, right?
A statue in a vertical passing game behind that line? Oh, no.
They can trade a future pick for Mallett and get their LT at #7. Worst case scenario is they end up with Lane Johnson (and piss off every Chargers fan on the planet).
They are missing a lot more than just lt. This is a multi year project. Interior is a bigger issue imho might have tackles in massie and potter, won't know till next year.

I don't think this guy is ready to be a starter, I'd be happy for the Patriots to sell him to the highest bidder if there really is a market for him.

I don't think this guy is ready to be a starter, I'd be happy for the Patriots to sell him to the highest bidder if there really is a market for him.
Seems there are teams out there making a run at Mallett. Sounds like the Pats are standing firm on keeping him. Either they like him a lot or holding for more draft picks.http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/03/source_browns_bucs_interested_in_acquiring_ryan_mallettBrowns, Bucs interested in acquiring Ryan Mallett The Browns and Buccaneers have expressed interest to the Patriots in trading for quarterback Ryan Mallett, but a deal seems unlikely at this point, according to a source.The CBA doesn't allow players to restructure their contracts until after their third season if they were drafted in 2011 or later, and that has tempered teams' interest in acquiring Mallett. Of course, Mallett would be under a team's control through 2014 for affordable money, but a new team would prefer to have some long-term security if they're going to invest in a potential starting quarterback.It's unknown what type of compensation has been discussed. Mallett was drafted in the third round in 2011, so it would make sense for the Patriots to covet a similar pick, if not something with more value.

The CBA doesn't allow players to restructure their contracts until after their third season if they were drafted in 2011 or later, and that has tempered teams' interest in acquiring Mallett. Of course, Mallett would be under a team's control through 2014 for affordable money, but a new team would prefer to have some long-term security if they're going to invest in a potential starting quarterback.
I don't view this as that big of a deal. If Mallett plays well and the team wants to sign him to a long term deal he's unlikely to refuse and play out out his $700k salary in 2014.

Update:

Ryan Mallett reportedly drawing interest for Patriots

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000163275/article/ryan-mallett-reportedly-drawing-interest-for-patriots

The 2013 quarterback class has endured heavy criticism, and now it sound like some teams are trying avoid it altogether. The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard reported teams have called the New England Patriots with trade offers for Ryan Mallett.

The former Arkansas and Michigan quarterback was selected in the third round of the 2011 draft and is the primary backup to Tom Brady. The Patriots haven't indicated any interest, but Bedard reports they have been scouting quarterbacks in this year's draft.

The Patriots, reportedly, want more than a third-rounder after putting two years worth of work into Mallett. The Cleveland Browns could be one pursuant, according to Bedard. General manager Michael Lombardi spoke glowingly of Mallett on NFL Network, and his son, Mick, was an assistant on the Patriots staff the last two years.

Mallett only has thrown four NFL passes, but was once thought to be a first-round candidate before sliding to the third round. He also has the advantage of learning behind Tom Brady for two years.

The question is: What are teams willing to part with?

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

I've been high on Mallett since he got drafted, and I'm high on Mike Glennon this year. I'm wondering what the difference is between them. They are both 6-7, both have a strong arm, both are relatively immobile, both played in pro systems in college, etc. Other than sitting behind a Hall of Famer, is there any reason to think that Mallett is any less of a prospect than Glennon at this point?

I've been high on Mallett since he got drafted, and I'm high on Mike Glennon this year. I'm wondering what the difference is between them. They are both 6-7, both have a strong arm, both are relatively immobile, both played in pro systems in college, etc. Other than sitting behind a Hall of Famer, is there any reason to think that Mallett is any less of a prospect than Glennon at this point?
Well if studying under BB/brady is worth anything then yes Id say he's worth more than Glennon.

Mallett is a stronger prospect coming out than Glennon. Regarding specific pro/cons -- Mallett is just flat out more accurate.

I have a feeling that if Mallet wasn't a raging coke head in college, he'd already be a top-15 dynasty QB, maybe top-12, depending on landing spot.

I could see Cleveland trying to trade down in the first, pick up a 2nd, and send that 2nd to the Pats for Mallet. Lombardi loves him some Mallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. Love Glennon.

Weird.

Well if studying under BB/brady is worth anything then yes Id say he's worth more than Glennon.
Not sure what that's worth anymore.

The huge difference is production. Glennon was not an efficient college player. Completed just 58.5% of his passes at 7.1 yards per attempt last year. 6.7 yards per attempt as a junior. Mallett did 9.0 and 9.4 yards per attempt in his final two college seasons. To use a basketball analogy, that's like the difference between scoring 30 ppg and scoring 12 ppg. Glennon is a guy that scouts like because he's tall with a strong arm, but up to this point he's been an underachiever. Mallett had all of the same physical tools and vastly superior production in a slightly better conference.

If NE can get a 2nd, go for it. Cheap contract, still time on his rookie deal and in a muddy QB class, not a bad investment. Would be amazed if they get a 2nd tough.

Think Mallett's best shot at being relevant in 2013 is to wind up on a team with an above average offensive line, like the Cleveland Browns.

I have a feeling that if Mallet wasn't a raging coke head in college, he'd already be a top-15 dynasty QB, maybe top-12, depending on landing spot.I could see Cleveland trying to trade down in the first, pick up a 2nd, and send that 2nd to the Pats for Mallet. Lombardi loves him some Mallet.
I agree. It was the drugs that scared everyone off. He had some flaws, such as his judgement in forcing plays, but he was a high 1st round pick without the character issues.

On Boston radio today 'a source' was quoted as saying that if Mallett were in this draft he would be the #1 overall pick.
if that were really true you would have teams lining up to trade their second round pick for Mallet.
they might be, Cleveland doesnt have a 2nd due to the Josh Gordon supplemental pick.

Jax,Buff,Oak,Arz(maybe Palmer means probably not) I could see any of these teams moving their #2 for Mallet

Was Brian Hoyer even drafted?

Mallett was a high-ish pick, a dominant college player, and has an absolute cannon for an arm.

I don't know if he'll succeed, but it's only a matter of time until he gets a chance to start somewhere.

Was Brian Hoyer even drafted?

Mallett was a high-ish pick, a dominant college player, and has an absolute cannon for an arm.

I don't know if he'll succeed, but it's only a matter of time until he gets a chance to start somewhere.
No, he wasn't drafted. The closest comp would be Kevin O'Connell but he was off the team after one year while Mallett earned the backup job in his 2nd year.

On Boston radio today 'a source' was quoted as saying that if Mallett were in this draft he would be the #1 overall pick.
if that were really true you would have teams lining up to trade their second round pick for Mallet.
How do you know they weren't, and what makes you think the Pats would take a 2nd for him? As a Pats fan, I wouldn't even take a 1st for him in this years draft.

How do you know they weren't, and what makes you think the Pats would take a 2nd for him? As a Pats fan, I wouldn't even take a 1st for him in this years draft.
Shown you a lot, has he??

You are nuts, if the Pats could get a 1st next year for Mallet they would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Shown you a lot, has he??
Enough to know if Brady goes down there's not another QB in the AFC East I'd rather have.

if that were really true you would have teams lining up to trade their second round pick forMallet.
How do you know they weren't, and what makes you think the Pats would take a 2nd for him? Asa Pats fan, I wouldn't even take a 1st for him in this years draft.
You are nuts, if the Pats could get a 1st next year for Mallet they would make that trade in a heartbeat.
:link:

Ha.Brian Hoyer all over again.
um no.
Backup QB that the Pats fans talked up. Eventually cut.

More talk that the Browns wanted him, which they actually took the time to deny.

The fact that he has been handing Gatorade for two years to Brady doesn't mean he is suddenly the franchise QB that no one thought he was two years ago.
People thought he had the talent to be a franchise QB.

Ryan Mallett A Big Disappointment in Patriots Camp

By Benne

Ryan Mallett's preseason is getting off to a poor start.

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and Like SBNation.com on Facebook.

Aug 11, 2012 - New England Patriots QB Ryan Mallett has had a very disappointing start to the NFL season. He has drawn tepid reviews in training camp, with CSN New England's Tom Curran not impressed with his decisiveness or accuracy. Mallett didn't help his own case Thursday night against the Saints, completing only 8 of 19 passes for 89 yards and an interception.

Analysis: This hasn't been Mallett's ideal career path. Once considered one of the top QB prospects in the 2011 draft, character concerns dropped him to the 3rd round, where he's now battling Brian Hoyer for the backup spot behind Tom Brady. Mallett doesn't seem to be making any strides towards being a viable NFL quarterback; The Boston Globe reports that "he just didn't look comfortable and the game is not coming naturally to him." It's too early to completely write off Mallett's NFL career, but he's not doing himself any favors.

Ryan Mallett, QB: Had a couple of nice throws sidestepping pressure and stepping up to deliver the ball, but had five poor tosses, including an interception. He just didn’t look comfortable and the game is not coming naturally to him. Mallett appears to be thinking way too much. He can’t play like that. Mallett had one practice where he just played, and he looked the part. Haven’t seen it since.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/five_up_and_dow.html

Quarterback Ryan Mallett's first play was emblematic of what he did throughout the night and some of what he has done during training camp practices. Mallett sailed a throw over receiver Jabar Gaffney, who was in the vicinity of three Saints defender after running a post pattern. Mallett was not under duress and his footwork looked sharp from this vantage point -- he simply was way off target on the pass. It would have required a precise throw to complete the pass given the tight window to throw into, but Mallett misfired. The following play, Mallett had his pass swatted at the line of scrimmage. He needs to find the medium -- not too high, not too low.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots
I hope one 1st rounder will be enough.

if that were really true you would have teams lining up to trade their second round pick forMallet.
How do you know they weren't, and what makes you think the Pats would take a 2nd for him? Asa Pats fan, I wouldn't even take a 1st for him in this years draft.
:link:
You want a link to something that Mike Felger said? :lol:

Rotoworld:

Patriots QB Ryan Mallett has put together an impressive stretch of practices this summer.
The third-year quarterback, who has become a fixture in offseason trade speculation, is reportedly looking more comfortable than ever and continues to grow with each practice. ESPN Boston reports Mallett was throwing "fast balls" into tight windows and is consistently making "wow" throws at each practice. It was also noted that continued improvement with accuracy will be key for Mallett moving forward.

Source: ESPN Boston

Patriots QB Ryan Mallett welcomes competition from Tim Tebow
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

Patriots quarterback Ryan Mallett is in no danger of losing his job as Tom Brady's backup. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Of course, there were similar conversations two years ago when Kyle Orton was the incumbent in Denver and Tim Tebow was battling for the No. 2 job. That lasted six weeks into the season. Tebow replaced Orton (who was dreadful and deserved to be benched), the Broncos went 8-8, won the division, and beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

Tebow, who was traded to the Jets last offseason and released this April, is now in New England. It's a curious move, even for the nonconforming Bill Belichick, if for no other reason than this is a coach who abhors attention. (Yet here we are, two days into Tebow's tenure with the Pats and Belichick is wasting energy talking about a backup quarterback who doesn't yet know the offense.)

Mallett, meanwhile, appears unfazed by Tebowmania. In fact, he welcomes the competition.

"He's a great player," Mallett said of Tebow (via ESPNBoston.com). "There's always competition, at every position. It's part of the job."

There's also no guarantee that Tebow makes the final roster. In addition to all the questions about his ability to play the position in the NFL, the Pats carried just two quarterbacks last season.

"It's kind of unique how it's set up, but I think we have three great players in that room who have the ability to go out and help our team win games," Mallett said. "We get it done how we can."

Translated, "How we can" means "We'll go as far as Brady takes us." This isn't some grand revelation, but any storyline that doesn't involve Brady under center is a doomsday scenario for the Patriots' Super Bowl aspirations. This may explain why the future Hall of Famer seems indifferent to Tebow joining the roster.

“I don't worry about much these days," Brady said when asked if the media's obsession with Tebow might be a distraction. "I've been around long enough to see all different kinds of things happen -- trades, people being cut, guys joining the team and all the media attention, what happened in 2007, post Super Bowls, tough losses.

It comes with the territory," he continued. "So I think everyone is prepared to deal with some level of different things that happen on a daily basis and to be mentally tough enough to push through and still be able to do your job at a high level is most important. That's really what you owe the team – to show up every day and do your job the best you can.”

Users who are viewing this thread