What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool Mock Draft #2 - Let's draft! (2 Viewers)

Borden said:
Slapdash said:
Miami Dolphins Select: Kenneth Ladler, FS Vandy

Miami could use a hard-hitting safety to pair with Reshard Jones. Louis Delmas was signed on a 1-year deal to see if he can do it, but that doesn't mean they won't grab a rookie who can fit that bill. Enter Ladler, an aggressive player who causes fumbles and generates picks. Has experience at both safety positions and played at his best against top competition in the SEC.
I wouldn't say Ladler is a hard hitting safety but with Delmas only in a 1 year contract this might be the ideal situation for Ladler. A year to apprentice under the Jones and Delmas and if Delmas under performs or wants too much money the let him go and Ladler may be able to step in.

The problem with Ladler is that he likely isn't fast enough (4.70 40) to play FS in the NFL and he isn't a mean enough tackler to play SS. He may get stuck in between the two positions and not fit in either but he a good nose for the football and that's a good place to start.

I don't know how high his football IQ (I'm not knocking him I actually just don't know) but if he studies hard and is fairly smart then with good positioning, lots of effort and hustle and some good coaching he might be able to overcome his lack of speed and be a productive starter at free safety. It sounds like more work than it is. Plus, he's a fourth round pick so he's going to have some holes in his game.
Appreciate the color here. The speed is a concern but it is only slightly slower than Dion Bailey. I have a high opinion of Ladler, maybe because he had some of his best games against the Gamecocks. :)

With the 18th Pick in the 4th Rd of the 2nd 2014 Annual Shark Pool Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select:

Pittsburgh Steelers - 4.18 - Josh Mauro - DE - Stanford

The Steelers desperately need a DE to help replace Brett Keisel, who is currently a FA; so the Steelers take the guy who he is most compared to by mock draft pundits. DE is one of the thinnest positions on the entire Steelers roster, and Mauro will help build depth back in the trenches for PIT.

Steelers draft so far:

1.15. Pittsburgh - Darqueze Dennard, CB - Michigan St.
2.14 (46). Pittsburgh - Jordan Matthews, WR - Vanderbilt
3.33 (97). Pittsburgh - Jordan Zumwalt, LB - UCLA
4.18 (118). Pittsburgh - Josh Mauro, DE - Stanford

4.19 Dallas Cowboys select Justin Ellis, DT

Dallas continues to build their D-line. The first two picks of Donald and Crichton are a bit undersized, so they go with a huge one here. Ellis will help control the middle in the run game to complement Donald's pass rushing speed.

4.20 (117) - Arizona Cardinals - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State

Can't have enough corners. Wish there was a QB worth taking as a developmental guy here, but I just don't see it. :shrug:

WR Michael Campanaro, Wake Forest

He's better than a lot of the small/slot WRs that will go ahead of him. If not that, then they are not 100 picks better for sure. 4.4+ runner, sensational agility, great bench press strength with big hands. He has another gear after the catch, smarts and no known gang ties. He will play a Welker/Cobb like role. By that I mean he can catch 100+ passes and return kicks at a high level in the NFL. 5+ round projection, but I consider this a value pick still.

Picks:

Ryan Shazier, OLB - OSU

Cody Latimer, WR - Ind

Jackson Jeffcoat, OLB - TX

Michael Campanaro, WR - WF

Maybe we can get this kick started...

4.119 - Cincinnati Bengals - Brock Vereen, S/CB - Minnesota

Vereen is moving up the boards from what I've heard. He's a versatile and solid player. He has met with the Bengals this offseason.

Maybe we can get this kick started...

4.119 - Cincinnati Bengals - Brock Vereen, S/CB - Minnesota

Vereen is moving up the boards from what I've heard. He's a versatile and solid player. He has met with the Bengals this offseason.
Thanks for making the pick so I didn't hold things up. Yesterday was a bit crazy for me.

I would think San Diego would be interested in Trevor Reilly or a WR like Abbrederis or Huff here.
I'm not sold on Reilly. ACL surgery then recently got it scoped. Plus, he is 26 already. I think WR is a better option here.
In the 4th round, you start to not worry about that stuff as much. The age part, I mean. The ACL thing isn't a huge issue either.
Neither are major issues but I think there is talent on the board still at other positions. It's not worth it yet.

Are we doing more rounds?
I think we'll shut it down after this one.
In that case, the Chargers should take De'Anthony Thomas. Let him learn from Woodhead and Eddie Royal how to play those two positions for a year or year and half. He just turned 21 so he has time to get better. You could also have Royal doing PR and Thomas doing KR. I think it's a perfect fit and gives SD an electric playmaker that they can mould and don't need to rush in.

Chargers select Josh Huff, WR - Oregon

Was hoping a DT would fall but with the run on big boys in this round I'll take a guy to lineup across the field from our balding 22 year old #1 WR. Maybe we can move Jeromey Clary to DT and he can use all the knowledge he gained letting guys get past him to his new position.

4.122 or 4.123(?) - New Orleans Saints - Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson

No CB's or QB's jump out. Getting 3rd or 4th G (pre-injury) at G8 or G9 would be pretty good value. Played some tackle in college so versatility helps. Short (for OT) and short arms, but we like his tape. Held his own vs. Clowney (without help). We're ok with the redshirt deal, and we feel bad for pushing him too hard in his workout. Beneath the cool customer facade, Payton's a softie.

124. Cleveland (from Indianapolis) - Devonta Freeman, RB - FSU
125. Carolina - Jordan Tripp, OLB - Montana
126. San Francisco - Charles Sims, RB - West Virginia

Let's knock out these last few picks..

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just another chance for Bill to show how much smarter he is than everyone...

4.127. New England - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT McGill (Canada)

4.128. Denver - Charles Leno Jr, OG - Boise State

Last edited by a moderator:
4.129- The Seahawks select CB Loucheiz Purifoy.

This might not be popular given his recent trouble with the law, but his size and skillset fit with Seattle.

4.131 - Houston Texans - Aaron Murray, QB - Georgia

Rumors are Texans are considering doubling up at QB. Murray is worth the shot here.

4.132 - Detroit Lions - Craig Loston SS - LSU

4.133 - New York Jets - Ahmad Dixon, SS - Baylor

4.134 - Baltimore Ravens - Walt Aikens, CB - Liberty

4.135 - Atlanta Falcons - Yawin Smallwood, ILB - Connecticut

4.136 - New England Patriots - Brent Urban, DE - Virginia

FIN

4.133 - New York Jets - Ahmad Dixon, SS - Baylor

4.134 - Baltimore Ravens - Walt Aikens, CB - Liberty

4.135 - Atlanta Falcons - Yawin Smallwood, ILB - Connecticut

4.136 - New England Patriots - Brent Urban, DE - Virginia

FIN
Good pick for the Jets. Had Loston and Dixon 1-2 on my list. Since Loston was gone, would have went Dixon anyway

Steelers draft so far:

1.15. Pittsburgh - Darqueze Dennard, CB - Michigan St.
2.14 (46). Pittsburgh - Jordan Matthews, WR - Vanderbilt
3.33 (97). Pittsburgh - Jordan Zumwalt, LB - UCLA
4.18 (118). Pittsburgh - Josh Mauro, DE - Stanford
________$$$$

_______$$__$

_______$___$$

_______$___$$

_______$$___$$

________$____$$

________$$____$$$

_________$$_____$$

_________$$______$$