What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shogun coming to TV (again) (1 Viewer)

I thought it was strange that we only got a brief glimpse at the future battle. I thought this episode and series would end with Ishida learning that he'd been outplayed and then seeing the battle turn against him, but still...
Great series overall. I agree with earlier comments that Anjin's actor was the only real negative in this series. I can only imagine how much better someone like Bradley James from Merlin or someone similar would've handled this role.

Really enjoying this show. Haven't read the novel and find it sometimes difficult to follow who is who in terms of remembering names. My only issue is sometimes I wish they'd just caption Blackthorne as I can't understand what he's saying half the time.
I turn on closed captions all the time. He's not the best actor...
He’s a terrible actor. He has one look that is meant to run the gamut of emotions.

Only weak part of the show, though. We’re loving it. Mr krista has read the book, but I haven’t.
He's Tom Hardys quizzical look stepchild.
Saw some thread on Twitter that labeled him as "Discount Tom Hardy."

I'll ask. If he threw the rosary into the water how did his future self have it
My wife said this right away was he was tossing it in.

I didn't have an answer yet, but, when Anjin was about to kill himself and Toranaga stopped him, I turned to her and said "I knew he wasn't going to die yet".

Great show; didn’t love the ending
Really dumb ending. All that build up for war and no war ? They're going to switch sides and avoid war, in the future!
Nice catch. That seems like a big miss.

I didn't have an answer yet, but, when Anjin was about to kill himself and Toranaga stopped him, I turned to her and said "I knew he wasn't going to die yet".
Oh I now feel dumb - I have the answer............. Not sure how I missed it

I'll put it in spoilers. Or maybe I'm now confused more than ever lol

The old him was him dreaming while he was still unconscious and/or just his vision.. it wasn't the actual future :bag:

Last edited:

Really dumb ending. All that build up for war and no war ? They're going to switch sides and avoid war, in the future!

The old him was him dreaming while he was still unconscious and/or just his vision.. it wasn't the actual future :bag:
So the point of the dream was?

He had to say goodbye to the girl, row out into the lake with the other lady?

Does he have the dream right before he attempts to commit seppuku? He's sick and has a sword with nicks in it from battles, is that the best way to go might explain it.

He converted to Catholocism out of love for Mariko. It's a new rosary symbolizing that he never gave up his love.
That's how I took it once I saw that it wasn't hers.

Damn, there were some painterly shots this episode. Almost TOO pretty at times.. like, distracting somehow.

So no S2? Is this essentially how the book ends too?

Watched ep 9 and 10 last night.

9 was one of the most intense episodes we have seen in some time.

10 - I was a little disappointed that the ending felt rushed, and that there was more to flesh out. We obviously saw Blackthorne on his deathbed, clutching the Rosary - but that then conflicted with Toranaga declaring that it was Blackthorne's fate to never leave the Japans. So, a little time exploring that - even as an epilogue - would have been nice. Also, a bit disappointed that Blackthorne's grand child would refer to the Japanese as savages - I would have assumed he (Blackthorne) would have made that clear upon his return.

yeah - I did not see that - I'll have to go back and re-watch that part.

For what its worth:

In the novel, Clavell yada yadas Sekigahara and everything after in like one paragraph, and Blackthorne never leaves Japan (as happened to William Adams, the real life human being the character is based on).

Last edited:
This show got better and better. Episodes 7-10 were very good. The end was definitely rushed though. Sekigahara was an interesting battle. Wish the novel had covered the ins and outs of betrayals by different warlords on the western front.

Users who are viewing this thread