What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shogun coming to TV (again) (1 Viewer)

This has been pretty great so far... As a non book reader and with next to no memory of the original series.
Agreed...but absolutely brutal trying to watch on Hulu last night with all the freezing and buffering. probably took an extra 20 minutes to get through the whole episode because of the constant stopping.

This has been pretty great so far... As a non book reader and with next to no memory of the original series.
Agreed...but absolutely brutal trying to watch on Hulu last night with all the freezing and buffering. probably took an extra 20 minutes to get through the whole episode because of the constant stopping.
I didn't have that problem.

But I'm an upper elite tier fbg.

I'm glad I don't have that issue, maybe your internet provider is throttling down your speeds or something 👎

I'm glad I don't have that issue, maybe your internet provider is throttling down your speeds or something 👎
Yeah my Hulu app has been great. No issues what so ever. In fact I starting watching the show on YoutubeTV but the picture was so bad (a grainy 720 at best) I switched to Hulu. The picture quality there has been awesome (very clear 1080).

Seems likely. Almost all streaming tv channels are problematic for us, despite us having paid for the upgraded version of Verizon Fios. Seems like most of them work much better when accessed on phone.

Seems likely. Almost all streaming tv channels are problematic for us, despite us having paid for the upgraded version of Verizon Fios. Seems like most of them work much better when accessed on phone.
Are you using the TV apps? That could be the issue too. I have firesticks on all my TV’s and they work great.

Are you using the TV apps? That could be the issue too. I have firesticks on all my TV’s and they work great.
same, for some reason my stream and quality is better off the firestick than directly from my tv (which is only 2 months old).

This is usually the issue. Hulu is fine but Paramount running on my tv app is pure garbage. Fine on Apple TV.

only 2 episodes in. not really liking the actor who plays Blackthorne. maybe it's just his lines or whatever but he kinda sucks.
Yeah, I can see it. It took me a while to get over that, and I am still not all in on him. I was unfamiliar with the story prior to this series, but I expect big things from him in the finale.

ETA: Last night's episode was one of my all time favorite television episodes. Mariko-san is badass.

ETA: Last night's episode was one of my all time favorite television episodes. Mariko-san is badass.
Ooooh... Can't wait to watch tonight.

Feel like it gets better each episode.
Ditto. For some reason forgot episodes hit on Tuesday and stayed up way too late watching Godzilla-Kong instead lol.

Best series going right now.

I'm lost. Spoiler ahead

Kashigi is out murdering people, opens door to let assassins in but then is helping?

I'm lost. Spoiler ahead

Kashigi is out murdering people, opens door to let assassins in but then is helping?
He made a deal to save his life: the deal involved Mariko getting kidnapped. He was just fronting to make it look he was not involved in the Ninja attack.
I must have missed some dialogue
He really did not help. In fact, he suggested they run toward the ninjas during their attack rather than away (toward the room with strong doors) as Mariko insisted.

I'm lost. Spoiler ahead

He made a deal to save his life: the deal involved Mariko getting kidnapped. He was just fronting to make it look he was not involved in the Ninja attack.
I must have missed some dialogue
He really did not help. In fact, he suggested they run toward the ninjas during their attack rather than away (toward the room with strong doors) as Mariko insisted.
Yeah... No dialogue explained it. Just his actions.

I'm lost. Spoiler ahead

I was kind of lost too. Some of the subtlety of the show is reducing my enjoyment a bit. I'm fine being temporarily lost in the details with something like Game of Thrones, where it was one for 10 years and I rewatched each episode multiple times while I waited for the next season. But for a one season show, if I'm confused for more than a few minutes, it's a negative. I still think the show is excellent, but not quite as excellent as I thought through the first five or so episodes.

I'm lost. Spoiler ahead

I was kind of lost too. Some of the subtlety of the show is reducing my enjoyment a bit. I'm fine being temporarily lost in the details with something like Game of Thrones, where it was one for 10 years and I rewatched each episode multiple times while I waited for the next season. But for a one season show, if I'm confused for more than a few minutes, it's a negative. I still think the show is excellent, but not quite as excellent as I thought through the first five or so episodes.
Funny I'm enjoying it more now. I'm very curious where Kashigi's loyalties will ultimately lie after witnessing the sacrifice that Mariko makes this episode. Like Blackthorne, he's a likeable character who seems to be motivated primarily by self interest. Blackthorne seems to have grown beyond that, I wonder if Kashigi will as well, in the end.

My only gripe is that Mariko, being saved from dying in a state of mortal sin by the narrowest of margins (Blackthorne's decision to second her when she had no one), then proceeds to immediately commit a mortal sin by lying with him. Is that how it plays out in the novel?

(no spoilers please I have no idea how the story ends)

The show is excellent, totally worth watching, but it still doesn’t approach the novel. I am biased because this is my favorite novel of all time.

I'm lost. Spoiler ahead

Funny I'm enjoying it more now. I'm very curious where Kashigi's loyalties will ultimately lie after witnessing the sacrifice that Mariko makes this episode. Like Blackthorne, he's a likeable character who seems to be motivated primarily by self interest. Blackthorne seems to have grown beyond that, I wonder if Kashigi will as well, in the end.
nah, Dude-san is a goner.

Been enjoying this series a whole lot. Holding off on reading the book until this is done and maybe rewatch it.

Is there any universe we can get this set of show makers to take over the Rings of Power show?

The show is excellent, totally worth watching, but it still doesn’t approach the novel. I am biased because this is my favorite novel of all time.
If anybody has daughters of the tween to teen variety, my brother has his 3rd book in a series coming out about what I think is one of those girl assassins we saw try to kill blackthriwn... Kind of a harry potter style thing except with a kick *** girl in exactly this period Japan.

Been enjoying this series a whole lot. Holding off on reading the book until this is done and maybe rewatch it.

Is there any universe we can get this set of show makers to take over the Rings of Power show?
That would be a disaster. There's even less source material written than there was in the last 2 seasons of GoT.

That would be a disaster. There's even less source material written than there was in the last 2 seasons of GoT.
I would trust this set of show runners totally made-up stuff more than the current Rings of Power set.

I would trust this set of show runners totally made-up stuff more than the current Rings of Power set.
Whoops I was thinking this was a different thread. My mistake, these show runners are doing a bang up job (although I enjoy Rings of Power as well).

Really enjoying this show. Haven't read the novel and find it sometimes difficult to follow who is who in terms of remembering names. My only issue is sometimes I wish they'd just caption Blackthorne as I can't understand what he's saying half the time.

Really enjoying this show. Haven't read the novel and find it sometimes difficult to follow who is who in terms of remembering names. My only issue is sometimes I wish they'd just caption Blackthorne as I can't understand what he's saying half the time.
I turn on closed captions all the time. He's not the best actor...
He’s a terrible actor. He has one look that is meant to run the gamut of emotions.

Only weak part of the show, though. We’re loving it. Mr krista has read the book, but I haven’t.

I turn on closed captions all the time. He's not the best actor...
He’s a terrible actor. He has one look that is meant to run the gamut of emotions.

Only weak part of the show, though. We’re loving it. Mr krista has read the book, but I haven’t.
He's Tom Hardys quizzical look stepchild.

Users who are viewing this thread