What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sizzler…just…wut (1 Viewer)

it's weird how that perspective has changed in the last 40 years or so ...I mean when I was 20 - TGIF's was THE place for cool appetizers and a menu you couldn't get elsewhere.
I was in Berlin in 1996 with friends, and we asked a local girl to take us to cool spots in Berlin. First stop, TGIF. We were like, uh, ok tomorrow take us to the second coolest spot. Trying to soak up some local culture.

Nest stop, Hard Rock Cafe. :huh:

in 99, i visited Germany for the first time. one of my close friends was in the army stationed near Frankfurt. first night, the f'r takes us to a place literally called "American Sports Bar." later on the trip we met him and his girlfriend in Zurich and Lucerne and they want to go to planet Hollywood.

Dammit! i wanted my schnitzel, grosse bier, brats, fondue, and raclette!!!! :lol:
Moscow, Russia. '97

We get there and we ask to go someplace really great for our first meal in Russia.... they took us to the Moscow McDonald's. :mellow:

I always assumed Sizzler was meat Red Lobster. That's not the case?

I don't know, seems like a pretty reasonable comparison to me.

It been years, but I think I remember Red Lobster being maybe a notch above Sizzler when it came to the dining experience. They had menus and everything.
Yea, Red Lobster is Olive Garden level. Sizzler is a little lower on the scale... but way above Golden Corral.

We never really ate at Sizzlers or Ponderosa when I was a kid. I don’t know why. We ate fast food a lot with all of the running around my folks did for hockey. How we could afford ice time and pads plus food is beyond me. Really. Later, my father would improve his lot in life to where things became expected, and the work he put in was diminished by his own. How all that happened I’ll never know, but we still eat at Red Lobster. In SoCal when’s better fare awaits a similar ride. And we enjoy it. Because that’s what we know. Sure, we’ve had good seafood on the water, but Red Lobster is a place we all go. I’m not sure what my point is but damn if GG didn’t appeal to the side of me that hates snobbery. And knows what it’s like to be barely middle class and makin it. Just thoughts tonight.

We were lower middle class and Red Lobster was a "nice restaurant" growing up. My Mom actually worked there for years at nights because she stayed at home during the day while my siblings and I were growing up. Haven't been there for years, and I know it's not the best, but I would go again.

I always assumed Sizzler was meat Red Lobster. That's not the case?

I don't know, seems like a pretty reasonable comparison to me.

It been years, but I think I remember Red Lobster being maybe a notch above Sizzler when it came to the dining experience. They had menus and everything.
Yea, Red Lobster is Olive Garden level. Sizzler is a little lower on the scale... but way above Golden Corral.
Red Lobster - was it ”Crabby Mondays” all you can eat crab legs? They lost money when me and my buddy came in as it became a competition between the two of us.

We were lower middle class and Red Lobster was a "nice restaurant" growing up. My Mom actually worked there for years at nights because she stayed at home during the day while my siblings and I were growing up. Haven't been there for years, and I know it's not the best, but I would go again.
I think chains were the thing back in the 80s and 90s. I grew up middle to upper middle class and for every “nice” dinner out (even birthdays) it was places like Outback, Olive Garden, Chili’s, etc. For our traditional family night outs it was Ponderosa or little, not fancy pizza parlor/cheesesteak places. I attribute this to both my parents’ being brought up in households where rarely did they go out to eat so, when they did, the goal was quantity and “value.” This got passed down to my parents who just had very simple palates and therefore didn’t know to take us other places (even though we probably could afford it).

I didn’t start realizing that there were much, much better options until my 20s and I start dating girls who would take me to these better places. Around this time, which is around the time I started to make decent money, I told my grandmother I’d take her out to any restaurant of her choice. I proffered good, local dining places in St. Paul like Moscow on the Hill, Nays Polanaise (sp?), some upper tier Italian restaurants, etc. Her choice? ****ing Old Country Buffet. Why? She can get a variety of stuff there.

I think to an extent this is a generational issue. Nowadays my wife and I will drop $300 on a good restaurant without batting an eye but my parents growing up woulda lost their minds at anything over $100 or, for just the two of them, over $50 (regardless of whether they could afford it).

ETA: Red Lobster biscuits are the ****ing bomb.

I once wrapped my retainer in a wet napkin, then forgot it on my tray and threw it away. Parents (correctly) made me go through the dumpster out back to find it. I spent a couple of hours going through a shared Sizzler/Taco Bell dumpster. I've never been to Sizzler after that.

I once wrapped my retainer in a wet napkin, then forgot it on my tray and threw it away. Parents (correctly) made me go through the dumpster out back to find it. I spent a couple of hours going through a shared Sizzler/Taco Bell dumpster. I've never been to Sizzler after that.
My kind of parents!

Love the combo of Sizzler and Taco Bell.

Any type of protective wear or did you just get in there?

My kind of parents!

Love the combo of Sizzler and Taco Bell.

Any type of protective wear or did you just get in there?
It was about 1988 - they hadn't invented protective gear.

That reminds me of this scene in the movie Parenthood.
Yeah, pretty much that. I had to climb into the big dumpster and toss a few bags out before rooting through them, though.

Lol same thing happened to me when I was a kid. Wrapped my retainer in a napkin during a racquet club banquet and the whole crowd was dumping out trash cans to help me find it, which we did. GB old people.

Lol same thing happened to me when I was a kid. Wrapped my retainer in a napkin during a racquet club banquet and the whole crowd was dumping out trash cans to help me find it, which we did. GB old people.
Weren't you guys in the movie Parenthood?

Any FBGs familiar with Sirloin Stockade? I saw a couple in S. Illinois a long time ago.

How about King’s Table in WY and maybe elsewhere? We used to call it King Stable since it was one off of the trough-like experience of a Duff’s

My sister did this on a ski trip. I was forced to dig through the garbage too. I would have rather been skiing.

Any FBGs familiar with Sirloin Stockade? I saw a couple in S. Illinois a long time ago.

How about King’s Table in WY and maybe elsewhere? We used to call it King Stable since it was one off of the trough-like experience of a Duff’s
No but "Sirloin Stockade" screams a place you don't want to go for steak.
That was my thought. What part of the horse is the sirloin?

When I was in undergrad, my buddy and I used to go to the two buffets in town - Golden Corral, aka "The Golden," or Wood Grill Buffet, which was a local place. We considered it dinner and a show as we'd always try and sit near the buffet and we'd usually both sit on the same side of the table, facing the buffet. Our entertainment was basically watching what other people got and ate. It was interesting, depressing, and impressive all at the same time.

Wood Grill is still one of the better buffets I've ever eaten at, but I haven't been there in 20 years. I just googled it and it's still there, which is kind of amazing.

My sister did this on a ski trip. I was forced to dig through the garbage too. I would have rather been skiing.
...and my dad was my orthodontist. He could have just made another one, but he was right to make me dive for it.

...and my dad was my orthodontist. He could have just made another one, but he was right to make me dive for it.
I remember those days of retainers, putting them into napkins, food getting stuck, etc.

Had several near misses where I lost them. I do recall digging through a few home garbage cans for them. Fortunately, never had to dig through a commercial dumpster.

Also, important update: an In 'N Out is going up across from the Sizzler so our hero @Hot Sauce Guy has a new option should he decide to stay in the same place this year and not be at all willing to travel just a few blocks to better stuff.
If I stop in Flagstaff again this year, you’re cooking me dinner!
😂

seriously though - I am doing the National Fiery Food show again. I’m debating whether I want to risk staying in Fagstaff again. I was like 20 mins of sleep away from being stuck there and missing the event.

Also, important update: an In 'N Out is going up across from the Sizzler so our hero @Hot Sauce Guy has a new option should he decide to stay in the same place this year and not be at all willing to travel just a few blocks to better stuff.
If I stop in Flagstaff again this year, you’re cooking me dinner!
😂

seriously though - I am doing the National Fiery Food show again. I’m debating whether I want to risk staying in Fagstaff again. I was like 20 mins of sleep away from being stuck there and missing the event.
Done. I have this really good hot sauce to accompany it (though I just polished off my favorite one).

No but "Sirloin Stockade" screams a place you don't want to go for steak.
TX Roadhouse Cowboy Cut Sirloin is probably the best bang for your buck + quality piece of beef available from a chain steakhouse. Order it with the green chile toppers and you got yourself some gourmet dining.
Yea... I will take your word for it. You are not going to get me to order anything from there. Maybe it is my bad.... but the only hole in the wall places I will try is a mom and pop place.... I have no interest in chain hole in the wall places

How did this topic get bumped anyway?
Red Lobster lost 11 million because they started offering their bottomless shrimp every day... I guess I can see a link of thinking of Sizzler.... wasn't their big thing all you can eat shrimp? I seem to remember going to town on those as a kid.

Not sure. I don't think I ever went to Sizzler and ordered anything other than the all you can eat salad bar. Of course, I was about 17 the last time I went.

My wife has four older brothers and all four worked in the kitchen when they were in high school. To this day their comfort food is cheese toast and a steak cooked what they call “sizzler style”.

We didn’t have a sizzler in my home town or if we did my parents didn’t take us, so my brothers in law’s sizzler cooking is my only exposure to the place.

My wife has four older brothers and all four worked in the kitchen when they were in high school. To this day their comfort food is cheese toast and a steak cooked what they call “sizzler style”.

We didn’t have a sizzler in my home town or if we did my parents didn’t take us, so my brothers in law’s sizzler cooking is my only exposure to the place.
What is “sizzler style”?

It’s interesting on how our perspective is able to change as we are able to grow financially. I was humbled a bit recently when I was doing a training class. One of my icebreaker openers is to have everyone go around, introduce themselves, tell me one thing they’re looking to get out of the class, and where their favorite place to go eat is.

Not one person named a restaurant. Every guy said some form of “I just like to eat food” “I like home cooking.” “I like fruit.” Turned out all the guys were part of a grant program, were unemployed, had mostly grown up without much, and were looking to better themselves and start a career. They didn’t have favorite restaurants because they simply couldn’t afford to even go out to eat at all.

What is “sizzler style”?
I am guessing all the butter in the kitchen placed in the pan with a steak

It’s interesting on how our perspective is able to change as we are able to grow financially. I was humbled a bit recently when I was doing a training class. One of my icebreaker openers is to have everyone go around, introduce themselves, tell me one thing they’re looking to get out of the class, and where their favorite place to go eat is.

Not one person named a restaurant. Every guy said some form of “I just like to eat food” “I like home cooking.” “I like fruit.” Turned out all the guys were part of a grant program, were unemployed, had mostly grown up without much, and were looking to better themselves and start a career. They didn’t have favorite restaurants because they simply couldn’t afford to even go out to eat at all.
It absolutely does impact.

My wife has employees who came from lower end economic backgrounds. One night they had an outing and decided to meet at Red Lobster. My wife shows up in normal casual clothes and her employees showed up all dressed up. Her employees were horrified that she would go to Red Lobster without getting dressed for the occasion. Their perspective was that Reb Lobster was a really nice fancy place that you really get dressed up for and my wife's was that Red Lobster is just another chain restaurant on the same level as Chili's, Outback or Red Robin. It was clear the economic backgrounds played a big part in shaping their perspectives.

Growing up, I went to Sizzler fairly often and it was seen as a treat coming from a poor to middle class background. Now, it is a place that though I would not avoid it is also a place that I would have to have a reason to go to.... meaning, I am with a group of people and they chose it, it would not be a place I would choose to go eat. And that isn't exactly about being a snob now as I will eat fast food places but when I think of wanting to go to a sit down restaurant, there is no appeal to me now.

I use to go to Sizzler's a lot as a kid. It was a treat.

It was all about three things... that cheese toast, all you can eat fried shrimp and the salad bar. Coming from a middle to .... lower than middle class family I thought it was a 'nice' restaurant. I mean, not as fancy as Olive Garden but still nice.

As an aside.... my wife took her employees out to dinner once and they went to Red Lobster. My wife shows up dresses normally... her employees all showed up ALL done up. Their nicest dresses and jewelry and everything- they were horrified that my wife would be going to such a nice restaurant in normal casual clothing. We found it very cute and endearing. It is now an inside joke between my wife and I. Not making fun of them because I remember growing up thinking similar of Sizzler and Olive Garden. Now my snobby rear end has no interest in going to any of these places. It is funny how perspectives can be different and change.

I legit did not know they were still in business.
I didn't realize I already told that story. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I am getting sooooo old

What is “sizzler style”?
I am guessing all the butter in the kitchen placed in the pan with a steak
They definitely made it in a pan but other than that I don’t know what makes it “sizzler” style. I know they just love announcing it they handful of times they made “sizzler” steak at a gathering.

Is this the crappy restaurant thread? My daughter insisted on Cheesecake Factory for her birthday, and based on history I could have predicted exactly what was going to happen. Four of us, and no one really like their meal. $170. Wife's pasta was way too spicy for her. Daughter's flatbread wasn't good at all. Her friend's dish was basically covered in basil. I haven't had a hamburger in about 6 months and have been craving one, so that's what I went with. Pretty meh. The three of them got cheesecake to go, I'm sure that was good.

We are never going there again.

The three of them got cheesecake to go, I'm sure that was good.

It usually is. If you don't stray too far from their ostensible original reason for being (I say ostensible because it could have been a chain money grab all along where they're the McDonald's of the dessert world) you probably wind up with something palatable—maybe even good.

Is this the crappy restaurant thread? My daughter insisted on Cheesecake Factory for her birthday, and based on history I could have predicted exactly what was going to happen. Four of us, and no one really like their meal. $170. Wife's pasta was way too spicy for her. Daughter's flatbread wasn't good at all. Her friend's dish was basically covered in basil. I haven't had a hamburger in about 6 months and have been craving one, so that's what I went with. Pretty meh. The three of them got cheesecake to go, I'm sure that was good.

We are never going there again.

I haven't been in nearly a decade, so I don't know if it has changed. But then, the thing that struck me was how much stuff was on their menu. Dozens of different foods and styles. I remember thinking, "there's no way that the line cooks they've got back there are good at producing every one of these menu items." Turns out, at least in my case, I was correct.

Users who are viewing this thread