What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So... what now, with the Packers WRs in redrafts? (1 Viewer)

I actually would love to see some data on a Cobb "type" who was forced to take over the #1 role due to an injury to another excellent WR on his team. Any comps come to mind?
What do you mean "take over the #1 role?" He's almost certainly not going to be playing the X, so it will be business as usual with more targets and more rolled coverage when teams think they can get away with it.
"#1 role" meaning he's now THE MAN... nothing to do with his position. I'll say this again: Cobb is fantastic. No argument. But defenses not having to worry about Jordy is a gigantic factor.
Isnt an example when Nelson went down several years ago?
Got exact numbers on him with/without Nelson? I'm lazy.
The 10 games where Nelson logged at least 1 catch: 90-976-6.4 (16 game pace)

The other 5 games without Nelson: 77-1101-12.8 (16 game pace)

Cobb has developed significantly since then, but it's apparent that you're not going to believe it until you see it.
I've been wrong plenty of times. This could certainly be another one. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

The way I understand it is Janis backed up Jordy and Montgomery played behind both Cobb and Davante in 3 WR sets.

I know Montgomery is getting a lot of love, but I haven't even heard that he's practiced in that spot. I don't follow the Pack super-closely, and I'd like to hear it but haven't.

I think the Packers are very confident in the 2 WR set and people may need to calm down some here. As someone else pointed out on twitter, they move the ball no problem with the TE and FB. It's entirely possible 3 WR becomes only their 3rd and deep type set til these guys get more experience.

Packers' receivers confident in their depth

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-receivers-confident-in-their-depth/dc9ac74a-fe99-451a-a961-c6520ba54e03?campaign=social_content_20150823_51314286&adbid=635579780100849664&adbpl=tw&adbpr=35865630

Teammates hoping for the best for Jordy Nelson

PITTSBURGH – No one in the locker room was speculating on the immediate future of Jordy Nelson, but his fellow Packers receivers believe they have enough depth to get the job done should more be asked of them.

“We have a lot of guys that know what to do out there,” Davante Adams said following Sunday’s 24-19 preseason loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field. “The rookies, the guys that have been here and haven’t played as much, everybody has something to offer.”

Nelson left the game on the opening series after making his second catch on the drive. After a leap, he landed awkwardly and limped off the field, later walking to the locker room without any noticeable issues.

The Packers’ No. 1 receiver and Pro Bowler never returned to the sideline, though, and his teammates were especially tight-lipped after the game.

Nelson’s partner atop the depth chart, Randall Cobb, said he sat with Nelson in the locker room at halftime and talked with him, but he didn’t divulge anything that was said.

“I’m just hoping everything’s all right with Jordy,” Cobb said. “I haven’t really thought about any of the other stuff right now.”

Adams added that everyone on the team is hoping and praying for good news.

“We don’t really know. You can’t really bank on the worst or the best,” he said. “You just have to sit around and wait, and see what’s going on. From there, people have to step up and do what they have to do, or if he’s back and everything is fine, then we’ll just be right back to where we were.”

If everything isn’t fine, then Adams is the first one whose role expands. The second-year pro, who had breakout games as a rookie in the Packers’ two biggest wins last season over New England and Dallas, was already preparing to take on more.

“I like where I’m at but I want to keep improving every week,” he said. “I feel like I’m in a good position, and I want to keep working and elevating my game regardless.”

Next in line would be rookie third-round draft pick Ty Montgomery, who has been one of the standouts in training camp. Montgomery’s impact in the first two preseason games has been minimal, but he’ll certainly get more snaps the rest of this month, no matter what the final diagnosis is on Nelson.

Montgomery referred to Nelson as a “big influence” on his game and an “approachable” team leader, and he has appreciated the guidance Nelson has given him when asked.“Talking about the depth, I think we’ve got it,” Montgomery said. “We’ve got a lot of guys in the room that can make plays and do a lot of things well.”

Two receivers the Packers will continue to find out more about are Myles White and Jeff Janis. Each had an up-and-down day on Sunday in Pittsburgh, and their focus in any event was to develop more consistency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone aware of how many TDs Cobb scored last year? Get ready to cut that in half or more.
I doubt it. He is a glorious pain in the neck and that won't change. Few CBs are as good an athlete as him
Oh so it was a hoax, and Nelson is actually healthy?
You mention Cobb, I reply about Cobb, but now you come back with Nelson-genius! Now make my post about Rodgers. Ready? 1,2,3 go

I definitely think that losing a stud target usually does not help another stud, since more focus goes on the healthy one, but this is not an offense being led by Mark Sanchez; it is being led by Aaron Rodgers, the current MVP and best QB in the league, and I have faith that he will find a way to get the ball to Cobb on a regular basis.
Well sure Cobb isnt going to fall of a cliff, but as a cobb owner i much prefer for nelson to have been healthy.

Anyone aware of how many TDs Cobb scored last year? Get ready to cut that in half or more.
I'm going to preface this with the statement that any receiver who scores 12+ TDs is most likely due for regression the next year. That happens to virtually everyone who reaches that mark.

That said, the last time this happened Cobb's TD rate actually doubled, and it's not like defenses are going to be doubling him or rolling coverage near the endzone. Cutting his TD total "in half or more" seems overly pessimistic. There's no real reason to believe that Cobb won't end up with 8-10 TDs if he stays healthy all year, and there's obviously upside for more.

I definitely think that losing a stud target usually does not help another stud, since more focus goes on the healthy one, but this is not an offense being led by Mark Sanchez; it is being led by Aaron Rodgers, the current MVP and best QB in the league, and I have faith that he will find a way to get the ball to Cobb on a regular basis.
Well sure Cobb isnt going to fall of a cliff, but as a cobb owner i much prefer for nelson to have been healthy. Anyone aware of how many TDs Cobb scored last year? Get ready to cut that in half or more.
:lmao:

I doubt it. He is a glorious pain in the neck and that won't change. Few CBs are as good an athlete as him
Oh so it was a hoax, and Nelson is actually healthy?
You mention Cobb, I reply about Cobb, but now you come back with Nelson-genius! Now make my post about Rodgers. Ready? 1,2,3 go
Already stated, I think Nelson's absence is NOT a good thing here.

I have never liked Randall Cobb at his ADP, but if Jordy is out for the year I think he's looking at a minimum of 20 additional targets. I think that would more than counter the additional coverage he may draw.

Conservatively I see a slight uptick, which makes his 3rd round ADP about right.

Again, I am not saying this is BAD for Cobb, but I am definitely saying I do not see it as any kind of bonus. At absolute best he will be the same, which would be great actually.

But when you take a top 5 scoring WR who is NOT an elite talent prototypical type of WR, and make a MAJOR change to the offense, it's very hard to see improvement

Here's what Cobb (in his 2nd year at age 22) did in 2012 games that Nelson either missed or barely played (1 catch):5/28/1

3/37/2

6/62/0

7/102/0

6/115/0
I don't find any relevance in this. I'm sorry.

Defenses don't gameplan for Cobb the way they did 3 years ago IMO.
So the only relevant history from the player in question is irrelevant. What's your reasoning (besides some good old fashion intuition)?

Again, I am not saying this is BAD for Cobb, but I am definitely saying I do not see it as any kind of bonus. At absolute best he will be the same, which would be great actually.

But when you take a top 5 scoring WR who is NOT an elite talent prototypical type of WR, and make a MAJOR change to the offense, it's very hard to see improvement
There's not much higher for him to go, but why can't he go from the 127 targets he has last year to near Nelson's 151?

There's not much higher for him to go, but why can't he go from the 127 targets he has last year to near Nelson's 151?
I thought he would do about the same as in 2014 with a drop in TDs (prior to this injury). But now? I think he can get double digit TD again...

Here's what Cobb (in his 2nd year at age 22) did in 2012 games that Nelson either missed or barely played (1 catch):5/28/1

3/37/2

6/62/0

7/102/0

6/115/0
I don't find any relevance in this. I'm sorry.

Defenses don't gameplan for Cobb the way they did 3 years ago IMO.
So the only relevant history from the player in question is irrelevant. What's your reasoning (besides some good old fashion intuition)?
I will go with intuition over that history easily.

Anything CAN happen, but does Rodgers strike you as the type of QB to force the ball to people multiple times per game? Common sense will prevail for defenses. The only "good" weapon that offense has now in the passing game is Cobb.

I guess if defenses play him the same as last year, and play whoever takes over the Jordy role the same, then sure, his targets and numbers could easily go up.

Also, if they have to play catchup a lot for whatever reason, his numbers could easily go up.

where do you comfortably take adams now in ppr? non ppr?
Assuming by "now," we mean once we're sure it's an ACL, then anywhere after WR10. Not that I necessarily think he'll finish as WR11, but I think anyone between WR11 and WR40 could finish as WR11, and Adams now has a lot higher ceiling than most of them.

My guess is he'll be pretty badly undervalued moving forward. People always react to stuff like this by saying, "Let's move him up a little," when sometimes the correct move is, "Let's move him up a lot." Those cases aren't frequent, but I think this is clearly one of them. Adams just had his floor and his ceiling explode upward.

James Jones had 15 touchdowns with Rodgers the year Nelson went down with a hammy and had the same statistical season he had with Jordys great season last year. I want anyone Rodgers throws to. If people are dropping Rodgers in rankings dont fall victim to that belief.

James Jones had 15 touchdowns with Rodgers the year Nelson went down with a hammy and had the same statistical season he had with Jordys great season last year. I want anyone Rodgers throws to. If people are dropping Rodgers in rankings dont fall victim to that belief.
Yeah, Jordy's a good player in that offense, but he's three parts Rodgers and one part Nelson. It'll take a better than average receiver to replicate what Jordy's been doing, but it certainly won't take a great one.

I took Adams at 3.06 in a 16 teamer about an hour after the news broke. Would have liked to have mine more value but I know he wouldn't have come back to me (for a fact I learned after the pick). Its WR leaning league and he was WR20 at that point.

I took Montgomery in the last round and Janis went after that

But, but, but I thought Jordy was simply a product of Rodgers?
I'm not sure what you're trying to start here. Everyone saying that Adams and other Packers WRs should be bumped up a lot are essentially agreeing: Rodgers increases the value of his receivers. If Jordy played for the Jets we wouldn't be having this conversation. That doesn't make Jordy a bad WR, but it's just simple for anyone to see the increased value of a player who has Rodgers throwing the ball to them.

Dr. Octopus said:
ghostguy123 said:
The only "good" weapon that offense has now in the passing game is Cobb.
The history of the Packers passing game and their ability to draft WRs should tell you otherwise.
Yeah Adams is the guy whose probably being drafted below what his actual ADP should be.. Cobb should almost be viewed as having an increased chance of an outstanding Season.

That's just my :2cents:

Should we start a Montgomery post? I barely know anything about the guy, but he could be putting up some serious points soon (more than most WR3's)

Rodgers can catch, so I definitely expect him to see increased targets, I won't be surprised if he gets involved in the 3 wide sets with a better blocking TE inside. Montgomery, Janis and White have done really nothing impressive in either preseason game. Janis had a bad drop and also let a defender go through him on a 4th down play, Montgomery dropped a TD that hit him in his hands, but at least he got his hands up. White is made of paper mâché and will just be jammed at the line until the play ends. I hope Abbs can play some in the next game so we can see him in action. My guess at this point is we see more two TE's sets as much as any other change.

Obviously Adams will be the biggest beneficiary from this injury as he now becomes the 1B with the best QB in the NFL. One other wr'er could end up posting numbers like Adams did last year, my personal opinion is Rodgers will bump into or around top 10 fantasy production.

But like everyone on here, this is just mho.

EastonBlues22 said:
ghostguy123 said:
Ghost Rider said:
Well sure Cobb isnt going to fall of a cliff, but as a cobb owner i much prefer for nelson to have been healthy.

I'm going to preface this with the statement that any receiver who scores 12+ TDs is most likely due for regression the next year. That happens to virtually everyone who reaches that mark.

That said, the last time this happened Cobb's TD rate actually doubled, and it's not like defenses are going to be doubling him or rolling coverage near the endzone. Cutting his TD total "in half or more" seems overly pessimistic. There's no real reason to believe that Cobb won't end up with 8-10 TDs if he stays healthy all year, and there's obviously upside for more.
After the bye week, Cobb scored 4 TDs over his last 10 games w/Jordy. Before the bye week, Cobb scored 9 TDs in 8 games.

Many of his TDs were GL pick plays with Jordy, defenses are going to pay more attention to him and bracket him. It doesn't matter if it's a LB/S/CB, he will get more attention.

EastonBlues22 said:
Cobb is actually a good receiver. I think it's silly to believe that this hurts him this year.

They'll (continue to) move him around just like they moved around Nelson to get the match-ups they want.
me to doesn't make sense, like the defense ignored him before because Jordy was there.. COME ON guys you are smarter than that. Cobb's value goes up, More targets, more opportunity and more production.. Petty argument to say Cobb loses value LOL

LittlePhatty said:
Sabertooth said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to start here. Everyone saying that Adams and other Packers WRs should be bumped up a lot are essentially agreeing: Rodgers increases the value of his receivers. If Jordy played for the Jets we wouldn't be having this conversation. That doesn't make Jordy a bad WR, but it's just simple for anyone to see the increased value of a player who has Rodgers throwing the ball to them.
It's also telling that GB spends solid draft pick capital on WRs: Jennings 2nd, Jordy 2nd, James Jones 3rd, Cobb 2nd, Adams 2nd, Montgomery 3rd, Abbrederis 5th, Rodgers(albeit TE) 3rd. If they could just plug in any player, they would save the draft picks to improve that Defense.

LittlePhatty said:
Sabertooth said:
It's also telling that GB spends solid draft pick capital on WRs: Jennings 2nd, Jordy 2nd, James Jones 3rd, Cobb 2nd, Adams 2nd, Montgomery 3rd, Abbrederis 5th, Rodgers(albeit TE) 3rd. If they could just plug in any player, they would save the draft picks to improve that Defense.
This makes a lot of sense! I'm with you and think Aaron's value takes a hit.

Maybe the answer at WR3 here is not Montgomery, Abbrederis, or Janis. First Take on ESPN just reported GB is reaching out to Reggie Wayne this AM.

Montgomery - great camp reviews, but a rookie who needs polish as a route runner

Abbrederis - has not been able to stay healthy, missed entire rookie year, missed majority of camp and all preseason games this year.

Janis - Down camp, made some errors yesterday (blocking, dropped pass), very unproven commodity.

Could a vet like Wayne still run good routes and catch balls from an elite QB? Sure. Why not.

It's nothing until it's something but Wayne - if signed - could be a good WR3 for GB and third on the team in targets. Very restorable, if so.

Raider Nation said:
I actually would love to see some data on a Cobb "type" who was forced to take over the #1 role due to an injury to another excellent WR on his team. Any comps come to mind?
It's all very subjective as far as excellent but in 2013, Jeremy Maclin went down with injury for the year. DeSean Jackson, another small speedy deep threat WR went from

2012 10 games 45/700/2 (on 87 targets)

2013 16 games 82/1332/9 (on 126 targets)

It might not be a valid comparison since 2013 was Year 1 of the Chip era.

Freelove said:
Deamon said:
where do you comfortably take adams now in ppr? non ppr?
Assuming by "now," we mean once we're sure it's an ACL, then anywhere after WR10. Not that I necessarily think he'll finish as WR11, but I think anyone between WR11 and WR40 could finish as WR11, and Adams now has a lot higher ceiling than most of them.

My guess is he'll be pretty badly undervalued moving forward. People always react to stuff like this by saying, "Let's move him up a little," when sometimes the correct move is, "Let's move him up a lot." Those cases aren't frequent, but I think this is clearly one of them. Adams just had his floor and his ceiling explode upward.
:goodposting:

Yep, I think Adams is now likely the single biggest value play at WR this year.

Could a vet like Wayne still run good routes and catch balls from an elite QB? Sure. Why not.

It's nothing until it's something but Wayne - if signed - could be a good WR3 for GB and third on the team in targets. Very restorable, if so.
He could barely do that last year from Andrew Luck. I just don't think Wayne has much left in tank at this point.

But if even half the people in your draft room think this way, the value is gone.
Adams is moved up on everyone's boards. The value is gone. Lacy just moved up my board. He and Adams will fill the Nelson void.
It's all a question of how far up he's moved, and who wins that game of draft day Russian roulette. :shrug:

Can he put up 1500/13 like Jordy? I'm not willing to gamble on that, yet. But James Jones went 800/14 in that position, and James Jones is a no-talent.

I might gamble a 4th on hoping to hit the pretty attractive middle ground between those.

But if even half the people in your draft room think this way, the value is gone.
Adams is moved up on everyone's boards. The value is gone. Lacy just moved up my board. He and Adams will fill the Nelson void.
It's all a question of how far up he's moved, and who wins that game of draft day Russian roulette. :shrug:

Can he put up 1500/13 like Jordy? I'm not willing to gamble on that, yet. But James Jones went 800/14 in that position, and James Jones is a no-talent.

I might gamble a 4th on hoping to hit the pretty attractive middle ground between those.
My thinking is similar to yours. Adams does not totally replace Jordy but gets a huge bump. Rodgers is an elite QB that is going to get the ball to his WRs. I still think Lacy gets noticably more work because of this injury.

I view Cobb's value as unchanged, I still likely wouldn't take him before A.J Green.

I view Adams as a WR2. I'd take him after Cooks, around where J. Matthews is going. I'd take him before Hopkins/Sanders.

Users who are viewing this thread