What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Son Of Bucs Kicker Bryant Dies (1 Viewer)

IM666

Footballguy
Buccaneers kicker Matt Bryant's son, Trey, died suddenly this morning. He was only about a year old.

Bucs place kicker Matt Bryant’s infant son Matthew Tryson died Wednesday, Bucs coach Jon Gruden announced following the team’s practice.

“We’ve lost a member of our family,’’ Gruden said. “I don’t have many details on it. We just ask that Bucs fans keep Matt and his family in their prayers at this time.’’

Gruden said he was uncertain whether the tragedy would keep Bryant from kicking in this week’s game against the Packers.
Link

as a father of two boys under the age of 4, this just sickening to hear about. I would not even know where to begin to be able to handle this. Thoughts and prayers to the Bryant family.

My wife (known around these parts as Eunuch Maker) just went to a funeral for an 18-month old yesterday. I'm not sure how I would handle this, either. It just makes you hug them all a little tighter and tell them that you love them a little more often.

So sad. I have a son under 2 and have no idea how I could ever deal with something like this.

Bryant seemed to have an extra big heart for kids too...

Bryant was named the Buccaneers' 2007 Man of the Year and a finalist for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award for his work on and off the football field.

He raised $36,000 for children's hospitals around the nation in the "Kicking for Kids" partnership with Raymond James Financial, which donated $1,000 for every made field goal and $500 for every extra point in the 2007 season.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080...ker_Bryant_dies

In a word, devastating. Nobody should have to endure the pain of outliving a child. I can’t imagine that would ever change, no matter how old you or your child is but my son’s about 2 and I can’t imagine the pain I would be in if he were to pass away.

RIP Trey

Im the father of a 2 year old, and I have faced some serious adversity in my life. But im not sure that I would be mentally tough enough to handle something like this. :lmao:

Just terrible. Must be the worse possible pain in the world.

DolphinsPhan said:
as a father of two boys under the age of 4, this just sickening to hear about. I would not even know where to begin to be able to handle this. Thoughts and prayers to the Bryant family.
I have to echo this. My little guy is 4 months old in two days.I would want to tear my teeth out of my head with my bare hands if this happened... its something so awful, I dont even want to entertain the idea of it...

DolphinsPhan said:
:goodposting: Like you, I shudder whenever I hear of this misfortune. Thoughts & Prayers to Matt Bryant.

Once you have kids you don't know how you lived without them. Condolences to he and his family.
exactly. :goodposting: I could barely even read the story in the first link without stopping every paragraph to think about my little one and how I would even deal with this. Prayers to the Bryant family.

Tatum Bell said:
My son turned 1 four weeks ago. I feel sick. :lmao:
Ditto, I have a 3 year old and the mere thought is upsetting.There are no words you could ever say to help someone in that situation.I wish his family the strength to get through an awful tradegy.

The 3-month-old son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Matt Bryant died Wednesday morning, coach Jon Gruden said.

Matthew Tryson Bryant apparently died in his sleep, Gruden said. The coach did not have further details. Matthew was born June 16.

Looks like it could be sids......

I couldn't imagine having to go through something like this. I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and it really puts things into perspective. My thoughts and prayers got out to him and his family.

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously.

"Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."

Is that any different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Football angle: If you are Gruden, what do you do? He can't afford for a game to come down to a game winning kick and be worried about Bryant and his mindset...PK is one of those positions that requires a lot of mental toughness...and Gruden isn't very soft when it comes to injuries, he didn't exactly handle the Simms situation well IMHO.

Sad news for the Bryant family, hope things get better for them.

I hope someone can post a link where us Football Guys can contribute to Matt's foundation in the memory of his son ... that's probably the nicest think we can do ... even just a couple of dollars!

Gotta go hug my kids ....

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously."Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."Is that any different?
For that matter, what good is sympathy?How 'bout we all head on over to the Bryants' home and stand out on the front lawn and yell, "#### you, Matt Bryant!" :kicksrock:

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously."Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."Is that any different?
Way to make this about you. Not the time for this, guy.

It's called sympathy and compassion. Those are two things that can be expressed in many ways. I just hope someday you are extended sympathy and compassion when you need it, rather than a callus response.

It's called sympathy and compassion. Those are two things that can be expressed in many ways. I just hope someday you are extended sympathy and compassion when you need it, rather than a callus response.
I see what you're saying, and I understand, however saying prayers just seems more like a cheap way of making it look like you're doing something, when you're really not. There must be better ways of expressing sympathy and compassion than chanting meaningless words. I'll refrain from saying anything else about it since I know it is not considered tactful.

Thoughts and prayers to the Bryants and the Bucs family.

This does remind me of when Joe Jurevicius lost a child during the playoffs several seasons ago (when he also was in Tampa Bay). The only consolation here is that based on that experience I have confidence in the organization to do everything possible for the Bryants and take care of their family in the best way possible.

Users who are viewing this thread