What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Son Of Bucs Kicker Bryant Dies (1 Viewer)

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously."Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."Is that any different?
I don't think you'll have to worry about anyone offering you anything......

The 3-month-old son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Matt Bryant died Wednesday morning, coach Jon Gruden said.

Matthew Tryson Bryant apparently died in his sleep, Gruden said. The coach did not have further details. Matthew was born June 16.
I have 3 and 5 yr old boys. The latter born June 16th. I can't help but tear up. They have my prayers.

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously."Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."Is that any different?
I have one question for you. Do you have children?If you don't..Shut up.If you do....shame on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one question for you. Do you have children?If you don't..Shut up.If you do....shame on you.
I was trying to think of something unflattering to say to this guy, but his post says all we need to know about him.:shakesheadatthesharkpoolsometimes:

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously.

"Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."

Is that any different?
I have one question for you. Do you have children?
I'm praying that he doesn't and won't.

I'll get attacked for this, but why is everyone offering prayers? What good do you think that really does? Seems like a backhanded way of making yourself feel like you care. If I lost my son and everyone went around offering me prayers and saying it was "God's will" I'd be extremely offended. Someone fill me in on the good it does, seriously.

"Flying Spaghetti Monster bless the Bryant family. May they be touched by his noodley appendage."

Is that any different?
I have one question for you. Do you have children?
I'm praying that he doesn't and won't.
I think he worships the Flying Spagetti Monster.Power of the Prayer

Ignore the no marriage, no kids, why pray contingent. They can excuse themselves from the conversation.

For us parents, or people with general compassion, we know this is our worst nightmare. I was at Children's Hospital in LA today as my daughter is preparing for a heart procedure (great prognosis thankfully). If anyone needs a dose of perspective, I recommend visiting a Children's Hospital.

Thoughts and prayers for the Bryant family.

You do not believe a flying Spaghetti Monster exists. The people praying for him believe that God exists.

I was driving when I heard the news. Wanted to pull over and throw up. So much sadness nobody should ever go through.

Ignore the no marriage, no kids, why pray contingent. They can excuse themselves from the conversation.For us parents, or people with general compassion, we know this is our worst nightmare. I was at Children's Hospital in LA today as my daughter is preparing for a heart procedure (great prognosis thankfully). If anyone needs a dose of perspective, I recommend visiting a Children's Hospital.
Best of luck, Judge. :excited:BTW, I have no kids, and don't plan on ever having any, but I couldn't feel any worse for the family.

Ignore the no marriage, no kids, why pray contingent. They can excuse themselves from the conversation.For us parents, or people with general compassion, we know this is our worst nightmare. I was at Children's Hospital in LA today as my daughter is preparing for a heart procedure (great prognosis thankfully). If anyone needs a dose of perspective, I recommend visiting a Children's Hospital.Thoughts and prayers for the Bryant family.
:goodposting: My youngest was dx with pertussis at around 3 mos of age. We spent a few nights in the childrens hospital and it was a terrifying experience. Thanks be to God we were not there for long. I met families that were living there for months and I suspect some did not leave with their children. Prayers sent for your daughter and family.

I hope someone can post a link where us Football Guys can contribute to Matt's foundation in the memory of his son ... that's probably the nicest think we can do ... even just a couple of dollars!

Gotta go hug my kids ....
LINK:Bryant and his wife have been involved in charitable work to benefit children. Their oldest son, Tre, spent three weeks in an incubator at St. Joseph's Women's Hospital. At the time of his birth, he weighed only 3 pounds, 10 ounces.

In 2007, Bryant was the Bucs' nominee for the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year, an annual award honoring a player's off-the-field community service and playing ability.

He partnered with Raymond James Financial in the Kicking for Kids program that donated $1,000 for every field goal and $500 for every extra point in 2007.

Scott Talcott, executive director of Tampa's Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, said the news came as a shock to his entire staff late Wednesday afternoon. "We are just mourning with them," he said. "They just give and give to us. So when we heard, our hearts went out to them." The Bryants volunteered with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and helped raise nearly $60,000 at Tampa Tailgate Kickoff to a Cure on Sept. 12. It was the couple's second year of participation. "Melissa is really one of those energetic, involved people," Tal­cott said. "She's in there helping with set-up and everything you could ask a committee member to do. This is a blow to all of us. They're just really nice and genuinely good people you would want to be around."

Matt Bryant also has done work with the Special Olympics and March of Dimes.

Information regarding donations or expressions of sympathy will be announced as soon as arrangements have been made.

As an expecting father, this really hits home. I couldn't imagine what his family must be going through. GB the Bryant family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ignore the no marriage, no kids, why pray contingent. They can excuse themselves from the conversation.For us parents, or people with general compassion, we know this is our worst nightmare. I was at Children's Hospital in LA today as my daughter is preparing for a heart procedure (great prognosis thankfully). If anyone needs a dose of perspective, I recommend visiting a Children's Hospital.Thoughts and prayers for the Bryant family.
:goodposting: My youngest was dx with pertussis at around 3 mos of age. We spent a few nights in the childrens hospital and it was a terrifying experience. Thanks be to God we were not there for long. I met families that were living there for months and I suspect some did not leave with their children. Prayers sent for your daughter and family.
So true - for some it becomes their residence. I mean some awful, awful conditions. They do great work. By the way, I'll say the same for City of Hope for cancer patients. Amazing place. Appreciate the prayers!

Because if God forbid this ever happened to me, I'd like to think that it made a bunch of people stop and think about how horrible I must feel and offer me what comfort they could. I wouldn't really give a crap what form their comfort took. I would just feel thankful that they cared enough about me to offer.

I hope someone can post a link where us Football Guys can contribute to Matt's foundation in the memory of his son ... that's probably the nicest think we can do ... even just a couple of dollars!

LINK:Bryant and his wife have been involved in charitable work to benefit children. Their oldest son, Tre, spent three weeks in an incubator at St. Joseph's Women's Hospital. At the time of his birth, he weighed only 3 pounds, 10 ounces.

In 2007, Bryant was the Bucs' nominee for the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year, an annual award honoring a player's off-the-field community service and playing ability.

He partnered with Raymond James Financial in the Kicking for Kids program that donated $1,000 for every field goal and $500 for every extra point in 2007.

Scott Talcott, executive director of Tampa's Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, said the news came as a shock to his entire staff late Wednesday afternoon. "We are just mourning with them," he said. "They just give and give to us. So when we heard, our hearts went out to them." The Bryants volunteered with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and helped raise nearly $60,000 at Tampa Tailgate Kickoff to a Cure on Sept. 12. It was the couple's second year of participation. "Melissa is really one of those energetic, involved people," Tal­cott said. "She's in there helping with set-up and everything you could ask a committee member to do. This is a blow to all of us. They're just really nice and genuinely good people you would want to be around."

Matt Bryant also has done work with the Special Olympics and March of Dimes.

Information regarding donations or expressions of sympathy will be announced as soon as arrangements have been made.
I can't even begin to imagine what they have gone through. I wish his family the best. :wub:

I'm sure it doesn't hurt, and some folks believe it might do some good. Perhaps it just comforts the family to know that many keep them in their thoughts and prayers. While they won't see this thread, maybe the thoughts and prayers include fathers of young children (evidenced by posts in this thread) who might take a little more time to appreciate their own families this week. Maybe some children see a little more love and a little more attention as we can all sometimes lose sight of what's really important to us.If it did no more than that, it would be time well spent.

Football angle: If you are Gruden, what do you do? He can't afford for a game to come down to a game winning kick and be worried about Bryant and his mindset...PK is one of those positions that requires a lot of mental toughness...and Gruden isn't very soft when it comes to injuries, he didn't exactly handle the Simms situation well IMHO. Sad news for the Bryant family, hope things get better for them.
I think you give Bryant the option of not playing this week, and let him make the call. There's no telling if Bryant would make a game-winning kick this week...but there's also no way of knowing if an off-the-street scrub would make it, either. It's not like they have a spare awesome kicker on the roster already. If he feels he can play, he's your best option imo.

Ignore the no marriage, no kids, why pray contingent. They can excuse themselves from the conversation.

For us parents, or people with general compassion, we know this is our worst nightmare. I was at Children's Hospital in LA today as my daughter is preparing for a heart procedure (great prognosis thankfully). If anyone needs a dose of perspective, I recommend visiting a Children's Hospital.

Thoughts and prayers for the Bryant family.
I think that's a somewhat selfish comment. People who aren't married or don't have children can certainly sympathize with Bryant and offer their condolences. Parents don't hold the patent on compassion.Glad to hear your family has a positive prognosis. Don't think others can't wish the best for those in situations other than their own.

It's called sympathy and compassion. Those are two things that can be expressed in many ways. I just hope someday you are extended sympathy and compassion when you need it, rather than a callus response.
I see what you're saying, and I understand, however saying prayers just seems more like a cheap way of making it look like you're doing something, when you're really not. There must be better ways of expressing sympathy and compassion than chanting meaningless words. I'll refrain from saying anything else about it since I know it is not considered tactful.
Meaningless words? Letting someone know they are not alone when they are going through a traumatic time is paramount. I don't think anyone hear is trying to prove that they are a do-gooder to get board cred. To think otherwise is bizzare.

As a parent of two boys myself, I would imagine there can be nothing more painful or unnatural than burying a child. A parent is only as happy as their unhappiest child. My heart goes out to the Bryant family.

Wow, I can't imagine the kind of pain that family must be feeling right now. I wish them the best as they get through this. :blackdot: Not to derail the thread or anything, but I can't believe no one has said anything about this yet:

My wife (known around these parts as Eunuch Maker)

Eric said:
Way to drag your own issues with religion into a thread where it had no business being. Nothing like trying to cheapen the honest sympathies and sentiments from other people. Sorry that you're so bitter.As for the Bryants, hopefully they have a good support network around them. Frankly, I'd probably just retire or at least tell the team that I wouldn't be able to play the rest of the year.

As a father you hope it's your child that will bury you, not the other way around.

thoughts and prayers going out to the Bryant family

Judge Smails said:
Judge -- I was in Milwaukee's Children's Hospital for six months when I was a kid for my first hip surgery. I had to go through the cancer ward three times a week to get to physical therapy. I absolutely see what you are saying, and it may sound terrible, but did help put my situation in prospective. I kept thinking throughout my stay, yeah I might never walk again, but I know I will still be able to enjoy life.I don't have children, my wife and I may never have a child, so I cannot begin to understand the pain of losing one. It has to be hell on earth.

ConstruxBoy said:
Eric said:
Because if God forbid this ever happened to me, I'd like to think that it made a bunch of people stop and think about how horrible I must feel and offer me what comfort they could. I wouldn't really give a crap what form their comfort took. I would just feel thankful that they cared enough about me to offer.
My youngest daughter who is 8 weeks old now spent over a week in the hospital when she was 10 days old and it was touch and go on whether she would live. It was the worst time of my life and I can’t imagine how I would go through the days if the worst would of happen. I suppose we would have had to manage for the sake of my other daughter. Friends of mine who are religious asked whether they should pray for my daughter knowing that I am agnostic and I responded to go ahead that the thought and intent were most appreciated. So in that spirit my thoughts go out to the Bryant Family.

Eric said:
You should get attacked for it.Sorry, but some actually do believe in God and are called to pray for others. How is it backhanded...Im not doing it to feel better about myself. Im not saying it was God's will...Im praying for comfort for the family, because I have no idea how I would handle it if I lost either of my children and would love to have as many people praying for me and my lost child as I could. Whether I know them or not, I believe in prayer and that it cannot be a bad thing to do.

I don't think I could handle it and I hope I never have to. My condolensces to the Bryant family, it sounds like from the start the little guy has been handling adversity. I have no doubt that they have been enjoying his life as much as the could.

On the FF side, I hope he plays and I hope he kicks the GW FG with no time left on the clock.

I fear nothing more than something happening to one of my children. I have 2 girls - one 3 years old, the other 3 months. Prayers to Matt & his family.

Eric said:
Way to pee in the Shark Pool, guy.

Eric said:
You should get attacked for it.Sorry, but some actually do believe in God and are called to pray for others. How is it backhanded...Im not doing it to feel better about myself. Im not saying it was God's will...Im praying for comfort for the family, because I have no idea how I would handle it if I lost either of my children and would love to have as many people praying for me and my lost child as I could. Whether I know them or not, I believe in prayer and that it cannot be a bad thing to do.
:D Listen Dude, when it comes to the loss of a child, it is no time for you to spew this negative garbage just because you are not a believer. You may find it hard to believe, but there actually are people on this board that believe in God and believe He has the power to comfort and affect people's lives. I know first hand, my wife and I lost a child that only lived for a day.So, you have your beliefs and I have mine, but in a time like this please just keep your athiest negativity to your self.

Judge, my heart and prayers go out to your daughter for a swift and full recovery.

Warren663, I am sorry for your loss... no other words really can ever cover it.

For the Bryant family, I can imagine no more tragic situation. As a father of 6 (ranging from 18 yrs down to my final one due out of the oven in late October), I'm not sure I could pull through such a personal disaster. It has to shake your faith and foundation in reality. It sounds like they have done so much to reach out to help children in their community. They will also be in my thoughts and prayers.

Eric, please grasp your flying spaghetti monster and insert it violently into an uncomfortable place on your own body. Due to community standards laws, I suggest you do this in the privacy of your own home. Some topics should remain sacred. If you can't mourn the loss of a child, at least simulate it by keeping your yap closed. I get that you have no belief in a higher power, I'm ok with that. I just think it is in really rotten taste to drop it into a thread like this one. No personal animosity towards you, just throwing you a gut check.

Ignore the no marriage, no kids, why pray contingent. They can excuse themselves from the conversation.For us parents, or people with general compassion, we know this is our worst nightmare. I was at Children's Hospital in LA today as my daughter is preparing for a heart procedure (great prognosis thankfully). If anyone needs a dose of perspective, I recommend visiting a Children's Hospital.
Best of luck, Judge. :lmao:BTW, I have no kids, and don't plan on ever having any, but I couldn't feel any worse for the family.
I agree visit a Childrens Hospital and unless you are not human it will put a whole new view on life to you. I feel deeply for those kids and Judge I hope everything goes excellent for your daughter. When I was at the childrens hospital My wife and myself really had no hope as we knew our child(1st one and have had 3 healthy ones since) was going to be stillborn at best or worse he would live for a day to a few weeks (which at the time I wish he would of so I could of spent some time with him alive but now after it has been a few years look back and am actually thankful he did not suffer and live at all afterwords and feel selfish for wanting him to but enough about that). He had Anencephaly and was not going to live long after birth. And I must say after being there I do have to say thanks to anyone who works at a childrens hospital as it has to be one of the toughest jobs and they (at least the one in St Paul, MN) are the nicest and most caring people....Man I know I couldn't deal with that everyday at my job, talk about emetionaly draining. Again best of luck Judge and my prayers and thoughts are with you.

:headbang: Listen Dude, when it comes to the loss of a child, it is no time for you to spew this negative garbage just because you are not a believer. You may find it hard to believe, but there actually are people on this board that believe in God and believe He has the power to comfort and affect people's lives. I know first hand, my wife and I lost a child that only lived for a day.So, you have your beliefs and I have mine, but in a time like this please just keep your athiest negativity to your self.
Just got to your post warren663 and you are exactly right and I feel for you and your wife and as I stated above I too know where you are coming from. It is a VERY hard thing to deal with.

I hope someone can post a link where us Football Guys can contribute to Matt's foundation in the memory of his son ... that's probably the nicest think we can do ... even just a couple of dollars!Gotta go hug my kids ....
From the PewterReport....Donations can be made in Tryson's name to March of Dimes.March of Dimes405 North Reo Street Suite 105Tampa, Fl 33609Phone: (813) 287-2600Fax: (813) 287-9894Email: FL617@marchofdimes.com

From the PewterReport....Donations can be made in Tryson's name to March of Dimes.

March of Dimes

405 North Reo Street Suite 105

Tampa, Fl 33609

Phone: (813) 287-2600

Fax: (813) 287-9894

Email: FL617@marchofdimes.com
That's what I was looking for today before I took my long drive north. Thanks man.All I can do is echo sentiments already expressed here by fellow parents and human beings. My youngest took a bad spill off a slide Summer 2007 and was in the hospital with a skull fracture. It was harrowing. I can't even fathom how I could have felt worse. Judge, my best wishes for your family. Warren my condolensces.

My thoughts are with the Bryant family.

Along with specific donations to the March of Dimes, I would like to provide the following link to a charity by the video game online comic Penny Arcade. they've been doing a great drive each fall into the holiday season called Child's Play. I have donated the last few years and having been in a pediatric ward with kids far worse off than my very lucky boy, I donate to make these places even better than they are. So come holiday time, I suggest visiting here. Beyond just this tragedy there are lots of kids that can use our help.

Users who are viewing this thread