What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SpaceX - official thread (1 Viewer)

Pretty amazing. Look, I love NASA, but at this point it’s a huge government bureaucracy.  So awesome that we finally have some private guys WITH GOVERNMENT BACKING that can do things like shoot Tesla’s into space to orbit for millions of years.  Musk is a stud.
FIXED.

Brilliant. Elon gave this about a 50-67% chance of succeeding. Amazing what he's pulling off in a short lifetime
This. 

What's crazy is this absolute genius with massive amounts of resources is actually a GOOD GUY. Like, he's not some ####holster Type A dickwad control freak megalomaniac. He actually genuinely seems to be a nice guy who is literally just trying to the most he can for humanity. 

Pretty crazy stuff. One of the most important people alive today, IMO. I hope he lives to be a hundred. 

is there a flight plan or a live feed currently available?   i couldn't find anything today about starman that wasn't from yesterday

tommyboy said:
is there a flight plan or a live feed currently available?   i couldn't find anything today about starman that wasn't from yesterday
I hope the radio is playing Space Oddity on repeat.

[icon] said:
This. 

What's crazy is this absolute genius with massive amounts of resources is actually a GOOD GUY. Like, he's not some ####holster Type A dickwad control freak megalomaniac. He actually genuinely seems to be a nice guy who is literally just trying to the most he can for humanity. 

Pretty crazy stuff. One of the most important people alive today, IMO. I hope he lives to be a hundred. 
What I've read is that he IS a type A megalomaniac control freak dickwad. But that isn't mutually exclusive with also wanting to do big/good things for humanity. :shrug: I'm a huge fan of this guy

The simultaneous landing of the two side boosters is honestly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Simply amazing that they were able to pull it off on their first try. 
They have landed single boosters before, but agree, it was absolutely amazing to see them come down at the same time and land successfully. Wish they could have admitted the main booster landing didn't quite land appropriately when they just cut off the video feed and no one knew what was going on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I live here on the space coast and have met quite a few engineers that work for SpaceX. They say it's brutal to work there because of the long hours and that fact the Elon is so driven. He doesn't care what can't be done, do it anyways.
It takes what it takes - Nick Saban

“But the fact of the matter is, is if you want to be good, you really don’t have a lot of choices, because it takes what it takes. You have to do what you have to do to be successful. So you have to make choices and decisions to have the discipline and focus to the process of what you need to do to accomplish your goals.”

The simultaneous landing of the two side boosters is honestly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Simply amazing that they were able to pull it off on their first try. 

I love the fact that there's now a red convertible flying through space blasting David Bowie. 
Both of these. Just amazing, the whole thing. Tbh, I would've been happy enough if it really was just shopped. That it's (supposedly  :tinfoilhat:   ) real? :wub:

They have landed single boosters before, but agree, it was absolutely amazing to see them come down at the same time and land successfully. Wish they could have admitted the main booster landing didn't quite land appropriately when they just cut off the video feed and no one knew what was going on. 
Well, like you said, no one knew what was going on. After it became clear that the main booster failed its landing, SpaceX came out and said so. It's not like they were trying to cover up anything. 

Well, like you said, no one knew what was going on. After it became clear that the main booster failed its landing, SpaceX came out and said so. It's not like they were trying to cover up anything. 
They didn't discuss in the live broadcast, at one point a very awkward changing of subjects. Obviously the hosts had been told to move on, nothing to see here. It wasn't until later that musk revealed the bad landing. 

I don't care it failed, everything else was a monumental success

Musk's last image of tesla and star-man

"Test vehicles usually carry concrete or steel blocks, but Musk said that would be “extremely boring.” 

“We decided to send something unusual, something that made us feel,” Musk was quoted as saying. SpaceX expected the battery in the car to last 12 hours, but it lasted just 4 hours, according to USA Today.

Scientists believe that radiation will tear the car into pieces within a year."

Musk's last image of tesla and star-man

"Test vehicles usually carry concrete or steel blocks, but Musk said that would be “extremely boring.” 

“We decided to send something unusual, something that made us feel,” Musk was quoted as saying. SpaceX expected the battery in the car to last 12 hours, but it lasted just 4 hours, according to USA Today.

Scientists believe that radiation will tear the car into pieces within a year."
Cool but also :(  for no more pix

NASA sent a car and a real life human to the moon decades ago. Even took it out for a spin.  Meh

I heard Musk confirmed it didn't make it.
It ran out of fuel and hit the water pretty close to the drone pickup ship at 300+ miles an hour.  Evidently it rained water and debris all over the ship.  Word is if the cameras on the pickup ship survived the footage would be "epic".

It ran out of fuel and hit the water pretty close to the drone pickup ship at 300+ miles an hour.  Evidently it rained water and debris all over the ship.  Word is if the cameras on the pickup ship survived the footage would be "epic".
There is a blooper reel video of all the drone ship fails out there, but I can't seem to find it.  I'm sure it was on youtube, but not sure if SpaceX produced it, or maybe had it taken down or something.

Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvim4rsNHkQ

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't discuss in the live broadcast, at one point a very awkward changing of subjects. Obviously the hosts had been told to move on, nothing to see here. It wasn't until later that musk revealed the bad landing. 

I don't care it failed, everything else was a monumental success
I get this... you want to focus on the monumental successes and let the moment continue to develop. The bad landing is a bummer but quite minor in the grand scheme of things. The mission was a resounding success. This was a much bigger deal than I think many Americans realize. 

First 60 Starlink satellites spotted over Netherlands

$10Bn project to launch thousands of low orbit satellites, creating high-speed, cable-like internet to every corner of the planet. 

The planned constellation will be huge, consisting of nearly 12,000 satellites when completed. For comparison, in 2019, there were only about 1957 functional satellites in orbit around Earth in total. The SpaceX constellation will increase the number of active satellites in orbit sevenfold. Pretty amazing stuff.

Starlink Compendium - good in depth overview of the project 

Users who are viewing this thread