What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting Rb for week 7 on your WW (1 Viewer)

Islanders rule

Footballguy
The challenges never cease for the beleaguered Pittsburgh Steelers running game. Running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman did not practice on Friday and will not play Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Mendenhall's Achilles tightened up on him during Pittsburgh's 26-23 loss last week. The team had hoped the soreness would dissipate enough to allow Mendenhall to go in Week 7. A bad ankle has kept Redman out of practice all week. The short-handed Steelers will lean heavily on Jonathan Dwyer, who will start, and figures to get the most touches out of the backfield.

Analysis: The Bengals have allowed eight rushing touchdowns this season and Dwyer has the make-up of a goal line running back. He could be a decent plug and play option this weekend if you're in a bind at running back, but expect Baron Batch to steal some of his touches.

Run, Dont walk.

What even makes it sweeter is that it's the Sunday night game. :thumbup:

Thank me later.

Saipan Islanders :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have Leshoure (Monday night) in my flex. Not confident w/ him going up against a tough Chicago D so I picked up Dwyer to give me that safety net should I get cold feet.

And honestly, I will probably make the decision to start him over Leshoure long before Sunday night.

I currently have Leshoure (Monday night) in my flex. Not confident w/ him going up against a tough Chicago D so I picked up Dwyer to give me that safety net should I get cold feet.And honestly, I will probably make the decision to start him over Leshoure long before Sunday night.
At least Dwyer gives you another option. With 6 teams on a bye this week , he could be the difference between a win/loss for some owners. All the best.

Unfortunately, someone already scooped up Dwyer (and Rainey) in my league, so I have to settle for Baron Batch. I have to start him or Phillip Tanner :eek:

Personally I like Batch better Sunday night. Pittsburgh's offensive line is banged up and Cincy has an aggressive front 4. Dwyer is a plodder anyway, and I expect him to struggle to get yards. I beleive Batch will be effective on 3rd down and screen plays.

:2cents:

Unfortunately, someone already scooped up Dwyer (and Rainey) in my league, so I have to settle for Baron Batch. I have to start him or Phillip Tanner :eek:
Possible WW adds for week 7 going against the leagues worst rush defenses:Goodson - Jaguars are ranked # 29 against the runTanner - Panthers are ranked # 23 against the run. Add-Fragile Felix could get hurt (again) before halftime.Batch - Bengals are ranked # 21 against the run. Add - Batch should get 8-10 touches.Hope this helps.All the best.Islanders

I would take tanner...more likely to get more carries better run offense and I bet he gets goalline carries

some of you - especially the OP have short memories - Dwyer was Turrible as Charles would say in early season work. Good Luck to those of you who went crazy for him - guy in my league bid $277 to get him tonight :banned:

some of you - especially the OP have short memories - Dwyer was Turrible as Charles would say in early season work. Good Luck to those of you who went crazy for him - guy in my league bid $277 to get him tonight :banned:
Having any kind of memory has nothing to do with the post. The post was giving a heads up to anyone that was scrambling for a starting/replacement running back this week with 6 teams on bye. No one insinuated he was fantasy gold. But he is a starter!

I scooped up Hardesty in a 16 team dynasty league this week over Dwyer and now it seems as if Richardson is going to be healthy. Ugh. Hardesty has a lot of talent IMO, wish he didn't have T ahead of him. But now I am not sure whether to roll out Hardesty or go with Fleener as my Flex. Game time decision I suppose.

I'll throw out the same stats I've been throwing out in the "PIT RBs threads"..

CIN has allowed the 9th most points to RBs in standard, the 5th most in 1PPR.

Every starting RB has scored a TD against them save MJD. Even Hardesty and D.Thomas have found pay dirt.

CIN has given up the 2nd most receptions to RBs (44).

CIN does not give up a ton of yardage on the ground (88 YPG) but they do give up a large amount of receiving yards (61 YPG).

My prediction is 10-14/40-50/.5 and 2-4/10-20/0. Dwyer has decent hands and although he will surrender most if not all 3rd down duty he can take advantage of the match up. His day will be rather TD dependent which relegates him to a risky mid-range flex play this week, IMO.

My biggest fear, if I were starting him, would be that he'd be the "stater" in name only. We have no clue how much Batch and Rainy will be utilized. I do however think he's a no-brainer lock to receive all GL work regardless of carry distribution. Seeing as how PIT should have little trouble moving the ball against CIN, I do think a TD is very possible.

I dont get the fascination with batch. the only reason he even got playing time was because they needed him and rainey for special teams and dwyer was a healthy scratch. He did not impress me enough to say that he would get a majority of the carries. going into the season some steeler heads thought dwyer could be a feature back, given the chance. ill be brutally honest and dont know a lot about batch. anyone have some info?

ETA: so the the steelers drafted him and hoped he could turn into a 3rd down back. he tore his acl last august. he played last game and 10 carries for 22 yds with a long run of 10yds, and caught a pass for 3 yds.

What gives?

I think most forget how much hype Dwyer had. I had guys drafting him in the 8th rd.

Week 1 he was the best looking back. Turf Toe set it. Now he is back. Should be a steal and rostered in every league

I picked up Dwyer to start this week. All three RB's off on bye week, so he is a perfect fit.
Got this off FFToday:Pittsburgh is very lucky the passing attack has been effective, because the running attack is not only terrible, it may be historically terrible. Thus far, the Steelers are not only dead last in rushing yards (374) but dead last in yards per carry (3.0) and longest rush (17 yards). Add this to the fact that they have only two rushing touchdowns, and you could easily say there are 15 or more individual running backs in the league that are having better seasons than the Steelers running game as a unit! In fact, quarterback—yes, quarterback—Robert Griffin III alone has five more rushing yards and four more rushing touchdowns than the whole Steelers team, in 71 less attempts! .... The Bengals run defense is certainly below average, but the poor health/lack of talent/lack of production/split of carries issues that the Pittsburgh run game has makes the Steelers RBs totally avoidable even in a dream matchup, which this is not.

'GordonGekko said:
IMHO, the play is Chris Rainey.

Dwyer had his chance earlier this season and just doesn't pass the eyeball test. Also that O line is ravaged, so I think you'll get a mix of Dwyer and Batch toting the rock on first and second down.

But I think even with just third down work, Rainey is a matchup nightmare. He's a legit 4.2-4.3 type burner with three gears. He won't do well against any type of press coverage and you'll have to treat him more as a receiver than traditional RB and he's not going to give you good yardage after first contact, but in open space, with a little daylight, this kid has good hands, good vision and knows how to terrorize the 2nd level of a defense. By the time the defender makes contact, he's in his 2nd gear, if the first defender misses, the kid is churning into his 3rd gear out of the cut.

IMHO, this kid is a legit homerun threat in the return game and any sliver of daylight he gets.

The Bengals IIRC are at the top of the league in QB hits, QB hurries and sacks. Geno Atkins is a ####### monster. In a bigger city like NY or Dallas, Atkins would be getting way more love from the press. That line can generate a rush without blitzing and Dwyer and Batch are averaging sub 3 yards a carry. The Pitt O line is a triage zone. Big Ben is going to have to pass his way out of this game and is going to be on his heels all day. That means lots of quick passes and dump offs. Against Leon Hall with a tweaked hamstring and Nate Clements still hobbling and I could probably burn Terrance Newman one on one at this point.

Downtick Mike Wallace and Sanders

Uptick Brown for PPR and Rainey.
You do realize Rainey has been on the team and active for every game this season right?And you do realize that Rainey has 7 carries for 15 yds and 6 catches for 45 THE ENTIRESEASON!!! Right?

And you do realize that even with Mendy and Redman out and only 2 activ RBs in the game that Rainey had exactly 1 offensive touch THE ENTIRE GAME !!!!!!!!!

And you also realize that Dwyer was the leading rusher in the first 2 games despite splitting carries with Redman and actually getting 1 less carry then him. Right?

In conclusion, "although you could get very lucky and be right", your reasoning sucks badly.

Are they going to abandon the running game and just let Ben chuck it in this one? The only way I see Dwyer having a good game is if the Steelers build a big lead and I see this one being close in a shootout.

I picked up Dwyer to start this week. All three RB's off on bye week, so he is a perfect fit.
Good for you. In my case, I picked him up to sit on my bench this week so my opponent who only has 1 starting RB couldn't get him.I'm sure many people don't think this is appropriate, however, I play to win the game!Good luck to all this weekend.

Got this off FFToday:Pittsburgh is very lucky the passing attack has been effective, because the running attack is not only terrible, it may be historically terrible. Thus far, the Steelers are not only dead last in rushing yards (374) but dead last in yards per carry (3.0) and longest rush (17 yards). Add this to the fact that they have only two rushing touchdowns, and you could easily say there are 15 or more individual running backs in the league that are having better seasons than the Steelers running game as a unit! In fact, quarterback—yes, quarterback—Robert Griffin III alone has five more rushing yards and four more rushing touchdowns than the whole Steelers team, in 71 less attempts! .... The Bengals run defense is certainly below average, but the poor health/lack of talent/lack of production/split of carries issues that the Pittsburgh run game has makes the Steelers RBs totally avoidable even in a dream matchup, which this is not.
Find a better WW option.

Anything is possible but I think Dwyer gets most of the work. The Steelers thought so highly of Batch/Rainey that Ike Redman went over 100 yards receiving after Mendenhall got hurt against Tennessee. Outside of a season-saving TD reception vs Baltimore a few years ago Ike Redman has not been known as a great receiving back.

Questions to ask:

1) Are the Steelers really going to finish the season last in running? I mean this is the Steelers... You gotta believe they are going to figure this out especialy when the weather starts to turn.

2) Was Dwyer's preseason work a mirage or did the injury prevent him from showing it in the regular season? Logic would dictate that it is the latter since we know he had an injury.

3) Is he healthy now? This is the million dollar question in my opinion. If he is healthy, I could see him taking over this RB by committee and with what I would assume is a renewed focus on getting the running game going, he could turn into a nice RB2.

4) Don't things like this happen all the time in sports? --> talented, but lazy running back finally ressurects his career in front of millions on Sunday Night Football and goes on to have a very good season.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think this is the waiver wire darling of the year. You don't need to start him, but I'd try to roster him before Sunday. The potential is certainly there.

no matter how good he does tomorrow, or no matter what you think of Mendenhall, Mendenhall will be a factor in the run game if/when he returns/

Anything is possible but I think Dwyer gets most of the work. The Steelers thought so highly of Batch/Rainey that Ike Redman went over 100 yards receiving after Mendenhall got hurt against Tennessee. Outside of a season-saving TD reception vs Baltimore a few years ago Ike Redman has not been known as a great receiving back.
A beat writer agrees with your assessment...According to beat writer Dale Lolley, Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer will draw the start at Cincinnati in Week 7 with Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) and Isaac Redman (ankle) out.

Lolley expects at least 15 carries for Dwyer. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms Dwyer is the "likely" starter, with Baron Batch and Chris Rainey rotating in primarily on passing downs. "He hasn't played in a couple weeks," WR Mike Wallace said of Dwyer. "This is a chance to get his helmet back and do some good things out there." Chris Wesseling updated Rotoworld's Week 7 ranks late Friday night, placing Dwyer 27th, Batch 42nd and Rainey 52nd among running back options. It's not unreasonable to gamble on Dwyer over low-upside options such as BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Shonn Greene, Vick Ballard and William Powell.

Source: Washington Observer-Reporter Oct 20 - 2:04 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5709/jonathan-dwyer

Personally I like Batch better Sunday night. Pittsburgh's offensive line is banged up and Cincy has an aggressive front 4. Dwyer is a plodder anyway, and I expect him to struggle to get yards. I beleive Batch will be effective on 3rd down and screen plays. :2cents:
:goodposting:

Nice game for a guy I grabbed middle of the day on Friday , before that I didnt think I had a RB to play. HE also looked pretty good. If Redman and or Mendy are out again I would have no issue starting Dweyer as my Flex or RB2. Good call on this guy.

Nice game for a guy I grabbed middle of the day on Friday , before that I didnt think I had a RB to play. HE also looked pretty good. If Redman and or Mendy are out again I would have no issue starting Dweyer as my Flex or RB2. Good call on this guy.
THX. We all get a little lucky some times.

I flexed him over Lloyd. I know for sure every last one of you are now keenly interested. :hey:

Likely meant a win for the week. W-L priority waivers suck. I haven't been able to pick up an RB all year, until the late development with Dwyer. Since the Benson injury I've been starting 4 WR. Makes for a less consistant FF roster. Too bad he'll be a one week wonder.

Theres always the chance that Mendy is out again. I can see him starting over Redman but if Menndy is back, Dwyer goes to the bench. i will add that this was the first week that I have seen them run like that. Dwyer is a pretty good RB in the style of Bettis and probally a better fit for this team. But Mendy is the man.

I flexed him over Lloyd. I know for sure every last one of you are now keenly interested. :hey: Likely meant a win for the week. W-L priority waivers suck. I haven't been able to pick up an RB all year, until the late development with Dwyer. Since the Benson injury I've been starting 4 WR. Makes for a less consistant FF roster. Too bad he'll be a one week wonder.
FWIW, I was in the same boat, and I flexed in Lloyd over Dwyer. Still won my game, but missed out on some valuable points in the race for overall scoring. Have to wait and see what Dwyer's touches look like going forward, but thanks to the OP for pointing out the WW starting RB. I wouldn't have bothered to check on Saturday afternoon and would have missed out. :thumbup:

awesome. Started Dwyer over Joique Bell (injuries and BYEs). Won my game going away so it didn't really matter, but yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread