What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley (1 Viewer)

I mean, seriously... HOW on earth did they not score on these four creative rushing plays?

1st and 3 at OAK 3 B.Green-Ellis up the middle to OAK 3 for no gain (R.Seymour).

2nd and 3 at OAK 3 B.Green-Ellis up the middle to OAK 2 for 1 yard (K.Wimbley; T.Kelly).

3rd and 2 at OAK 2 S.Ridley right tackle to OAK 1 for 1 yard (Q.Groves, T.Kelly).

4th and 1 at OAK 1 S.Ridley up the middle to OAK 1 for no gain (J.Boyd, J.Henderson).
Didnt realize it, but it makes me feel better Lawfirm got stuffed as well!
More like "ran into the pile and fell down." ;)

I thought Ridley looked great, today. That said, I was disappointed at the end of the game when Hoody gave hm 2 GL carries and he didn't convert.
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now. Don't sweat it. The game was over... they were running the clock. They were not running plays with fancy trap blocking or anything. They were straight-ahead dives. I really don't think Bill cared if the kid scored or not, though I'm sure Ridley would have liked to.
Let me start off by saying id LOVE for the rook to take the job entirely....but if you believe what you said above you should at least watch the BB special put on by NFL network a couple weeks back. Trust me, BB cares how efficiently he discharges #### from his ### let alone how his players play in "garbagge time" (which is why he continues to try to run up the score...and I agree with him, if you want to be the best, be the best, ALWAYS).Now will he take it as a "the kid isnt ready" and decrease his role, I would imagine not, but trust me, BB was watching and making note...
I saw the program and I stand by what I wrote. He ran two basic dive plays into the pile. If they scored, great. Even Belichick has his moments of humanity when he calls the dogs off.
That's really projecting there. If he's calling a running play at the goal line the purpose is to score. Period. No matter when it is. It's Belichick. There is no let up in the guy. You play the whole game is what he preaches. Especially, if you're a young guy getting some touches with a chance to show him something. Dismissing this as well they weren't really trying is ludicrous. If he wanted to kill the clock, he'd have had Brady take a knee and not risk any injuries.
You guys win. He ran two of the most cleverly designed running plays I've ever seen and I'm STUNNED they failed to score. :shrug:
Oh, I get it. In that case, it was just scrimmage conditions and he was probably tired and thinking about getting a shower, ordering some Dominos and crushing some beers back at the crib. Understandably. Fantasy owners should be encouraged that BB will definitely look to him as THE GUY who can jam it in on those precious goal line downs.Did I do it right?

The whole idea (and this applies to all players) is to pick up players before they break out. Ridley may be a total bust tomorrow and beyond. But he has shown promise to the point where he should be rostered. I dont know why anyone is arguing this point
As Bayhawks revealed, he is a BJGE owner, which is why he is taking the counter position; although he admits he stashed Ridley also, which I think is pretty funny. He believes his position but he doesn't believe it enough not to put Ridley on his bench as insurance. I love the hypocrisy on this forum sometimes.
You might want to read the thread again. I revealed that LAST SEASON I owned BJGE, despite Yudkin not believing he would assume a major role. THIS SEASON I have Ridley stashed on the end of my bench as a late-auction "lottery pick." I've stated several times that I don't think Ridley replaces BJGE, but if injury occurs, I like his potential in NE's offense. There's no hypocrisy, merely a lack of reading comprehension on your part.
It's always interesting when people say vague things and/or leave out pertinent details and then blame the reader for their lack of comprehension or for making assumptions. OK, so you're not in a keeper or dynasty league or you didn't keep BJGE and you had BJGE LAST season only and you picked up Ridley ONLY as a injury lottery pick. Sorry, I guess I was assuming some level of credibility and giving you the benefit of the doubt that you stashed Ridley for some other reason than praying that BJGE got injured, which BTW is a ridiculous reason for rostering a player except in the case when the starter has a history of injuries or major wear and tear.My premise was that Ridley could be viable fantasy wise and could help fantasy teams make the playoffs as the season wore on. I never said he had to replace BJGE in order to do that. I believe he will be a strong fantasy flex play even in a RBBC in that offense because he passes the "eye test" and BJGE isn't particularly special; not because he's next on the depth chart and will start simply because BJGE suffers a major injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
picked up Ridley last week, really like how he is trending. we only start 2 RBs, no flex so he wont start for me unless injury happens. But this dude looks like the real deal. Low RB2 or nice RB3 already

It was also nice to see Ridley used throughout the game while it was still being contested (and before Woodhead got hurt), rather than just in a tryout/replacement role. He made significant contributions in each quarter, so he did nothing but improve his stock in the eyes of the coaches, as far as I can tell.

I think RaiderNation is right...there was nothing going on creatively in that last GL series...Bill may have been just as happy to run down the clock as score at that point. Fwiw, Ridley did gain a yard from the 2 on his first carry. 2nd carry the whole line seemed to be going backwards by the time he made it up there....not much he could do.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
'LawFitz said:
And this is why it's important to be ahead of the curve with guys like this. Good luck getting him now if you hadn't already.
Ehhhh. Yudkin says it's a committee. And we haven't even seen Vereen yet. :unsure:
Who the heck cares what Yudkin says?
A lot of people. And they should. Yudkin is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Pats.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
'LawFitz said:
And this is why it's important to be ahead of the curve with guys like this. Good luck getting him now if you hadn't already.
Ehhhh. Yudkin says it's a committee. And we haven't even seen Vereen yet. :unsure:
A lot of people. And they should. Yudkin is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Pats.
I often find his opinions to be conservative and while that will make you right more than wrong, it doesn't win fantasy football.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
'LawFitz said:
I often find his opinions to be conservative and while that will make you right more than wrong, it doesn't win fantasy football.
You have to learn to read between the opinions and decide for yourself. Went with Yuds on his Hernandez call. Went against him by picking up Ridley last week. Either way, his opinion, insight and analysis is always very helpful and appreciated.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
So you are saying that Yudkin is always right when he is right? That's brilliant.

'ponchsox said:
Sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong. In other words.... his insight is just like everyone elses. I honestly tend to go against what he says about the Pats. He downplays everything, which is usually the right call to make. However, every call that he has ever made about the NE RB situation has been dead wrong. At least what I have seen from him over the last two years that I bothered paying attention. Last year he was telling everyone who would listen that BJGE wouldn't amount to anything, and wouldn't get enough touches to help in FF. This year he is basically saying the same thing about Ridley. He was clearly wrong on both. It seems to me that he doesn't have a firm grasp on the way BB coaches. He is sitting here arguing that Vereen will be used rather than Ridley because he was drafted before him. However, we all know that BB goes with guys that produce. That much is very clear. We aren't talking about a top 10 pick here... Vereen hasn't done anything and Ridley has done nothing but great things with every opportunity that he has been given. Which is why Ridley is in the game, gaining 100 total yards and a TD while Vereen is inactive. There is absolutely NOBODY who can tell me that Ridley isn't going to gain more and more of a foothold in this backfield unless he gets injured or shoots himself in the foot with poor play. BB is too good of a coach to see this kid electrifying their running game, adding another great dimension to their offense... and say "meh, I'd rather have worse production". In other words... Yudkin strikes me as a guy who would be horrible at FF. He always takes the "temper expectations/wait and see" approach, which kills FF teams.

So you are saying that Yudkin is always right when he is right? That's brilliant.
No, I'm saying he's allowed to be wrong sometimes. The guy is an analyst not a seer. Like any other analyst, take his insight and opinion, differentiate the two, then come up with your own conclusions. And BTW, he has not been proven totally wrong about the NE running back situation. Riddler upticked this week, but could just as easily downtick next week. I personally don't think he will, but the odds aren't terribly against it either.Sorry you missed out on the Riddler, but I blame YOU much more than I do Yudkin.

In other words... Yudkin strikes me as a guy who would be horrible at FF. He always takes the "temper expectations/wait and see" approach, which kills FF teams.
Pretty much my point. With the "wait and see" stance on everything you are right more than you are wrong, but you don't win FF and this is a FF site. I do appreciate insight, I just wish it was more FF based.
Has Yudkin spoken about this lately? I know before the season he did.
Wait & See....Im sure he will, and I would be interested in some opinion on it.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
'LawFitz said:
You guys act like what Yudkin says about the Patriots is the be all end all. Is he in Belichick's immediate family or something? In the end, he has an opinion like anyone else. And in this case, he was wrong. Heck, I watched Ridley in the preseason, liked what I saw and drafted him as a sleeper stash. There is no denying what Ridley is doing on the field and he is being given a golden opportunity to produce.

I mean, seriously... HOW on earth did they not score on these four creative rushing plays?

1st and 3 at OAK 3 B.Green-Ellis up the middle to OAK 3 for no gain (R.Seymour).

2nd and 3 at OAK 3 B.Green-Ellis up the middle to OAK 2 for 1 yard (K.Wimbley; T.Kelly).

3rd and 2 at OAK 2 S.Ridley right tackle to OAK 1 for 1 yard (Q.Groves, T.Kelly).

4th and 1 at OAK 1 S.Ridley up the middle to OAK 1 for no gain (J.Boyd, J.Henderson).
Didnt realize it, but it makes me feel better Lawfirm got stuffed as well!
More like "ran into the pile and fell down." ;)
On the other side of this you have The Saints who are always trying to be cute and will seldom ever just hand the ball off 3 straight times. To me it has gotten to the point that it actually would be less expected to hand it off than try some cutesy pass play on play action.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
'LawFitz said:
You guys act like what Yudkin says about the Patriots is the be all end all. Is he in Belichick's immediate family or something? In the end, he has an opinion like anyone else. And in this case, he was wrong. Heck, I watched Ridley in the preseason, liked what I saw and drafted him as a sleeper stash. There is no denying what Ridley is doing on the field and he is being given a golden opportunity to produce.
I love his information but try to use just the info and not his opinions. Much like the rest of us his opinions are hit and miss. I know what I see and what I think about the RB situation and would rather be wrong making my own choices than be mad because I listened to someone on here.

'ponchsox said:
'Raider Nation said:
'LawFitz said:
:goodposting: Seriously?!?! Some of you need to lighten up and learn to make YOUR OWN football decisioins like most of us on this board. Yes, Yudkin can and has been a reliable source as far as NE is concern but there has to be a time in which you must make YOUR OWN decisions. Just look at the Riddler run, he passes the eye-ball test and if we see it then most certain BB see it as well. Geeezussss!!!!

I'm a big believer that Ridley will be a valuable commodity down the stretch (this year), but how did this thread devolve into all of this DY bashing? It seemed to me that all he was saying was that "he thought" that BJGE wasnt going anywhere anytime soon and that the NE offense has too many mouths to feed for Ridley to be "fantasy relavant". He backed it up with real information/stats. Thats the best that anyone can do. Evaluate the information, make a decision and move on.

Although Ridley is certainly trending in a direction that would lead you to believe that DY may eventually be proven wrong - one game doesnt prove anything. BJGE got 16 carries to Ridley's 10. They both had touchdowns. Ridley didnt get any goal line carries until garbage time. DY hasnt even been proven wrong yet - and even if/when it happens - I still wouldnt see any value in spend time talking about whether a particular poster was right or wrong.

I'm a big believer that Ridley will be a valuable commodity down the stretch (this year), but how did this thread devolve into all of this DY bashing? It seemed to me that all he was saying was that "he thought" that BJGE wasnt going anywhere anytime soon and that the NE offense has too many mouths to feed for Ridley to be "fantasy relavant". He backed it up with real information/stats. Thats the best that anyone can do. Evaluate the information, make a decision and move on.Although Ridley is certainly trending in a direction that would lead you to believe that DY may eventually be proven wrong - one game doesnt prove anything. BJGE got 16 carries to Ridley's 10. They both had touchdowns. Ridley didnt get any goal line carries until garbage time. DY hasnt even been proven wrong yet - and even if/when it happens - I still wouldnt see any value in spend time talking about whether a particular poster was right or wrong.
You're right, this shouldn't be about bashing Yudkin. He is an excellent poster. My point was geared towards posters who stake their fantasy decision making on what Yudkin says and get upset if you disagree with him.

I'm a big believer that Ridley will be a valuable commodity down the stretch (this year), but how did this thread devolve into all of this DY bashing? It seemed to me that all he was saying was that "he thought" that BJGE wasnt going anywhere anytime soon and that the NE offense has too many mouths to feed for Ridley to be "fantasy relavant". He backed it up with real information/stats. Thats the best that anyone can do. Evaluate the information, make a decision and move on.Although Ridley is certainly trending in a direction that would lead you to believe that DY may eventually be proven wrong - one game doesnt prove anything. BJGE got 16 carries to Ridley's 10. They both had touchdowns. Ridley didnt get any goal line carries until garbage time. DY hasnt even been proven wrong yet - and even if/when it happens - I still wouldnt see any value in spend time talking about whether a particular poster was right or wrong.
Seriously I might have missed some bashing but pointing out that people should form their own opinions and not just blindly follow someone elses is not bashing. That is all I see on this page...but I do agree, this thread is about Ridley and it has gotten off-track.

Just saw this.

The Boston Herald suggests that rookie Stevan Ridley was "underused" in Week 4, despite career highs in snaps (19) and touches (11).

"You could say he showed some explosion," writes beat reporter Greg Bedard. Ridley has outperformed BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead since early in the preseason. It's interesting to note that the Pats are employing Ridley on outside zone runs, and he has all kinds of burst getting to the corner. Ridley has 20 touches on the year. He's averaging 7.95 yards per play.

Source: Boston Globe

I think people need to read the Helu thread before Ridley is appointed a season saver. (same type of thread but I do think Helu is really talented.) I think Ridley is super talented but a RB in a three way committee that the team has always had and calling him anything more then a flex play is a little out there. Ofcourse if BJGE gets hurt then its a different story.

He is deadly on those outside runs.

Just saw this.

The Boston Herald suggests that rookie Stevan Ridley was "underused" in Week 4, despite career highs in snaps (19) and touches (11).

"You could say he showed some explosion," writes beat reporter Greg Bedard. Ridley has outperformed BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead since early in the preseason. It's interesting to note that the Pats are employing Ridley on outside zone runs, and he has all kinds of burst getting to the corner. Ridley has 20 touches on the year. He's averaging 7.95 yards per play.

Source: Boston Globe

I think people need to read the Helu thread before Ridley is appointed a season saver. (same type of thread but I do think Helu is really talented.) I think Ridley is super talented but a RB in a three way committee that the team has always had and calling him anything more then a flex play is a little out there. Ofcourse if BJGE gets hurt then its a different story.
Helu has more talent to compete with than the Riddler imo.

:goodposting:

No argument there. More talent and maybe now the same amount of RB's . (Tower-Torain-Helu)

I think Vereen will eventually be heard from. I wouldn't go all in on Ridley.
Pure speculation, the truth of the matter as of today...................the Riddler>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vereen and it's not even close and it's been like this since day ONE.Giddy up!!!

I think Vereen will eventually be heard from. I wouldn't go all in on Ridley.
Pure speculation, the truth of the matter as of today...................the Riddler>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vereen and it's not even close and it's been like this since day ONE.Giddy up!!!
Love the enthusiasm. I'm high on Riddler as well. But will wait to cast judgment on Vereen until I actually see him play with my own two eyes. At the moment at least, he's clearly behind. My thinking is he's still a threat and could be one all season long. You never know with BB.

Video of Belichick's post-game conference vs the Raiders.

Made a couple nice mentions of Ridley in the first minute. 0:44 and 0:51 specifically, but was quick to point out, "it was a good team effort running the ball. one guy can't do it. you got to have 11 guys" (1:17).

all I took away from this is it's encouraging news for Ridley owners. I certainly don't see Ridley "taking over" as the main ball carrier. later in the video Belichick even states (paraphrasing) the game plan changes from opponent to opponent, so aside from Brady and Welker, there is no "main" guy in this offense.

link

Made a couple nice mentions of Ridley in the first minute. 0:44 and 0:51 specifically, but was quick to point out, "it was a good team effort running the ball. one guy can't do it. you got to have 11 guys" (1:17).

all I took away from this is it's encouraging news for Ridley owners. I certainly don't see Ridley "taking over" as the main ball carrier. later in the video Belichick even states (paraphrasing) the game plan changes from opponent to opponent, so aside from Brady and Welker, there is no "main" guy in this offense.

link
:goodposting: BB called him "Rid" the vid is good indication of what BB thinks of him as of now.

Yeah thats pretty much how it will be COuld be Riddler getting a few more carry's then Ben Jarvis or the next week BJGE gets 95% of the carries. Its always been tough to play a NE RB just like last year it was tough to play a NE TE. If I had the choice I think I would take BJGE first but still would grab the Riddler if he was available for bye week fill ins .

link

link
:goodposting: BB called him "Rid" the vid is good indication of what BB thinks of him as of now.
Does he have a case of lice or something?

link
I think I may be misinterpreting BB's comments regarding running the ball. I think he's talking about how they run the ball. hence, "team effort" and "11 guys". more like a philosophy. rather than hearing it as who will run the ball. that said, I'm still feeling good about Ridley's prospects of getting enough involved in this offense to make a fantasy impact the second half of the season.

putting the cart in front of the horse for a second:

NE sched after their week 7 BYE

@PIT, NYG, @NYJ, KC, @PHI, IND (FF PLAYOFFS) @WAS, @DEN, MIA (geez... might as well give them the AFC East. look at those wk13 - wk16 games).

PIT and NYJ are deceiving. PIT is having an uncharacteristically hard time on D and my Jets are abysmal trying to stop the run.

NYG and WAS are tough run Ds, not that I would use Ridley in my playoff run, but DEN and MIA would be tempting if he's shown he can produce consistently by then.

:2cents:

link
I think I may be misinterpreting BB's comments regarding running the ball. I think he's talking about how they run the ball. hence, "team effort" and "11 guys". more like a philosophy. rather than hearing it as who will run the ball. that said, I'm still feeling good about Ridley's prospects of getting enough involved in this offense to make a fantasy impact the second half of the season.

putting the cart in front of the horse for a second:

NE sched after their week 7 BYE

@PIT, NYG, @NYJ, KC, @PHI, IND (FF PLAYOFFS) @WAS, @DEN, MIA (geez... might as well give them the AFC East. look at those wk13 - wk16 games).

PIT and NYJ are deceiving. PIT is having an uncharacteristically hard time on D and my Jets are abysmal trying to stop the run.

NYG and WAS are tough run Ds, not that I would use Ridley in my playoff run, but DEN and MIA would be tempting if he's shown he can produce consistently by then.

:2cents:
The question was about Rid and he said he ran well but then he mention the other guys becuase he said they were blocking well today. Noticed who he was shacking his head in agreement that Rid was running well today.

I'm a big Patriots fan and follow all there games and the articles on them but even as such I think some of you guys are hyping Ridley up a little too much. As much as I would love for Ridley to become the stud RB the Pats haven't had for years, I don't think this is the year it happens. At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now. To think that BJE will now be relegated to the bench is ridiculous at this point. Even if Ridley gets 15 carries a game going forward (probably best case scenario), then you are just going to see a lot of stat lines of 15-60, 15-70, 15-75, 15-80. Maybe those are worth going nuts about but even those are optimistic. BB likes BJE because he doesn't fumble and moves forward so he will continue to get carries. Woodhead will also continue to be used to sneak in 5 carries a game.

It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.

I'm a big Patriots fan and follow all there games and the articles on them but even as such I think some of you guys are hyping Ridley up a little too much. As much as I would love for Ridley to become the stud RB the Pats haven't had for years, I don't think this is the year it happens. At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now. To think that BJE will now be relegated to the bench is ridiculous at this point. Even if Ridley gets 15 carries a game going forward (probably best case scenario), then you are just going to see a lot of stat lines of 15-60, 15-70, 15-75, 15-80. Maybe those are worth going nuts about but even those are optimistic. BB likes BJE because he doesn't fumble and moves forward so he will continue to get carries. Woodhead will also continue to be used to sneak in 5 carries a game. It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.
I'm also a huge Pats fan and have to respectfully disagree with some points. I think if by November Ridley has proven himself in a time share to be a superior back and can pass protect and do it all, then I think he becomes the starter and gets same number of reps BJGE got last year with Benny relegated to backup. BB wants to win and he won't play an inferior player to a superior rookie.

BB likes BJE
Where does this meme come from? BJGE had 15.1 touches a game last year, Maroney had 14.1 and 14.5 his first two years in the league. BJGE's touches have dipped to 13 a game so far this year.
At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now
Since 2007 the Pats have been 9th, 4th (Brady injured), 10th and 10th in rushing attempts- their low for attempts is 451 over that span. With Brady and WRs getting 50 or so that leaves 400+ rushes a year for RBs.

I'm a big Patriots fan and follow all there games and the articles on them but even as such I think some of you guys are hyping Ridley up a little too much. As much as I would love for Ridley to become the stud RB the Pats haven't had for years, I don't think this is the year it happens. At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now. To think that BJE will now be relegated to the bench is ridiculous at this point. Even if Ridley gets 15 carries a game going forward (probably best case scenario), then you are just going to see a lot of stat lines of 15-60, 15-70, 15-75, 15-80. Maybe those are worth going nuts about but even those are optimistic. BB likes BJE because he doesn't fumble and moves forward so he will continue to get carries. Woodhead will also continue to be used to sneak in 5 carries a game.

It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.
I pretty much agree with everything you said here but at what point does lack of production trump not fumbling? It was pretty easy last season when BJGE was averaging 4.4 per carry but what if he maintains a sub 4.0 ypc? 3.5ypc? Is there a point where not gaining yards is more important to BB than the risk of a fumble?

Users who are viewing this thread