What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stone Brewing looking to build brewery/restaurant in Alabama (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
http://www.craftbeer.com/brewers_banter/stone-brewing-looking-to-brew-up-business-in-alabama

Stone Brewing Co. is looking to build a new brewery and restaurant in Alabama. Unfortunately, current laws prohibit breweries from selling beer directly to the public. According to the Alabama Brewers Guild, lawmakers are trying to amend these laws in order to allow breweries producing over 25,000 barrels certain privileges:

Lawmakers and economic policy officials in Alabama have drafted and introduced House Bill 581 and Senate Bill 439 to allow a brewery located in Alabama (producing over 25,000 barrels) to open a restaurant and sell beer directly to the public.

Fortunately, Stone fits into that category. Unfortunately, small and independent craft breweries in Alabama do not. In fact, Alabama doesnt have one existing brewery currently producing over 25,000 barrels.The Alabama Brewers Guild says, While Alabamas small brewers understand and support efforts to make our state a friendly location for the craft brewing industry and to leverage craft beers huge tourism and economic development potential, this should not come at the expense of the states own brewing community.

Stone agrees. According to Al.com, The chief operating officer of Stone Brewing Co. has issued a statement in support of Alabamas local craft brewers, saying that any change to the states alcohol laws should benefit smaller operations as well as large ones.

Stone Brewing is all for changing laws in order to support craft brewing, but takes a stand if those laws exclude local breweries. Stone Brewing may seem like the big guys compared to Alabama breweries, but in the grand scheme of things, they are still a small and independent craft brewery.

While the current laws are being reviewed, the Alabama Brewers Guild and Alabama craft breweries urge craft enthusiasts to write to legislative sponsors and members of the House Economic Development and Tourism Committee.

Time is running out to amend the decision, as the legislative session is ending soon. Its looking as if Stone may have to pack up its pint glasses and seek another place to call home. If thats the case, the lawmakers of Alabama could expect to have some not-so-happy homegrown craft brewers on their hands. We shall see

Set up a shell company to run the bar/restaurant while Stone operates the brewery in the back. Wa-la!

Why bother with Alabama? I think homebrewing was illegal there until a couple years ago. This is like Epic opening in Utah. There are plenty of beer-friendly states with demand to support a new Stone brewery.

Pretty sure Stone is considering several locations on the East coast. I know Charlotte is making a push.

Why bother with Alabama? I think homebrewing was illegal there until a couple years ago. This is like Epic opening in Utah. There are plenty of beer-friendly states with demand to support a new Stone brewery.
Florida would be a much better choice. :wishful thinking:I've read that Tennessee has been courting Stone, which also made a run at Sierra Nevada before they decided to break ground on a new facility in Asheville, NC.

Greensboro, N.C., is another potential suitor. Roughly 2 1/2 hours from Asheville where Sierra Nevada has set up shop and where New Belgium is on the way the Greensboro Partnership Economic Development (GPED) is also trying to entice Stone, touting a great location, logistic capabilities and manufacturing history.

Stone is just the latest brewery that has been looking east. Huge new breweries for Sierra Nevada (CA), New Belgium (CO), and Oskar Blues (CO) are opening in Ashville, NC.

Wow...I may be moving to Charlotte in the next year or so, and I'm liking all this brewhaha about big breweries setting up shop in NC.

Stone is just the latest brewery that has been looking east. Huge new breweries for Sierra Nevada (CA), New Belgium (CO), and Oskar Blues (CO) are opening in Ashville, NC.

Wow...I may be moving to Charlotte in the next year or so, and I'm liking all this brewhaha about big breweries setting up shop in NC.
The craft brew scene here has been really taking off the last few years in Charlotte. Lots of local smaller craft beer breweries opening up. Add that to a growing food truck scene.

NCCommish said:
Wingnut said:

The craft brew scene here has been really taking off the last few years in Charlotte. Lots of local smaller craft beer breweries opening up. Add that to a growing food truck scene.
Unfortunately, most of the breweries are supbar outside of NoDa.

Scoresman said:
Stone is to craft beer like Stella Artois is to Belgian Trappist beers.
Please expand on this one. I can't wait to hear your opinion. You are an expert I assume?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scoresman said:
Please expand on this one. I can't wait to hear your opinion. You are an expert I assume?
Ya know, I saw that, and I was kinda perplexed, but I didn't want to get into it. Stone holds up pretty well as far as craft brews go.
"Holds up pretty well" is a significant understatement IMO.

Scoresman said:
Ya know, I saw that, and I was kinda perplexed, but I didn't want to get into it. Stone holds up pretty well as far as craft brews go.
I recently had a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, and I'm still in the afterglow. You'll have to forgive me.

Scoresman said:
I recently had a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, and I'm still in the afterglow. You'll have to forgive me.
I lucked into a 4-pack of BCBCS in December and I'm still in the afterglow. I'm excited to see Stone's success, they will be the next national "microbrewery" following the path of Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. No harm in the masses being exposed to better beer.

Scoresman said:
They still produce some interesting seasonal and limited types. But Arrogant ******* had its run about 10 years ago.
Disagree.

My favorites are their Russian Imperial Stout and Black IPA, but Arrogant ******* is still great. If anything, it's now a nice respite from the "we're going to jam so many hops into this beer that your head will explode" movement.

Scoresman said:
They still produce some interesting seasonal and limited types. But Arrogant ******* had its run about 10 years ago.
Wow youre an idiot
Bleep you as well. I didn't say I hated it or didn't like the taste but there are a lot of other IPAs since AB and I also spotlighted the limiteds they offer. Are you hitting the sauce for breakfast again?

Cities making a play for Stone:

Bethlehem, PA

Richmond, VA

Charlotte, NC

Greensboro, NC

Wilmington, NC

Myrtle Beach, SC

Asheville, NC

Blount County, TN

Alabama

Personally, I think Charlotte has as good of a shot as anyone. Biggest city listed, vibrant craft-brewing scene, plenty of space, not Alabama.
My Lehigh Valley (PA) friends are all geeked up about Stone potentially coming to Bethlehem. Weyerbacher, Victory, and Stone (and Troeg's not too far away) would make for a nice grouping. Apparently Ruckus Brewing is also opening up a location there, but I don't know much about them.

How hard is it to create a "shell" company for the bar/restaurant independent of the brewery. brewery sells beer to the restaurant...restaurant sells beer to the public. Would be about $500-1000 in paperwork and adjustments to billing and you're done.

Scoresman said:
Wow youre an idiot
Bleep you as well. I didn't say I hated it or didn't like the taste but there are a lot of other IPAs since AB and I also spotlighted the limiteds they offer. Are you hitting the sauce for breakfast again?
what's this now?

NCCommish said:
Wingnut said:

Unfortunately, most of the breweries are supbar outside of NoDa.
I am going by what other people say as I don't drink beer, but the folks I know would disagree.

Scoresman said:
Wow youre an idiot
what's this now?
Oof.

Wingnut said:
Scoresman said:
Wat
Pretty ignorant statement
I'm pretty sure that the hipsters have to stop liking something once it reaches a certain level of success, or others find out about it.
Good posting. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Stone. I like a lot of their beer.

That being said I do agree that Stella is the Budweiser of Belgian beer.

Anyone wondering about Alabama's beer laws need to look up "what's wrong with the beer we got?" On YouTube.
There has been a lot of movement in getting Alabama's laws straightened out. Lots of folks want these brewers and beers available. Way, way overdue, but good things have been happening.

Hey, we just enacted the legalization of a marijuana based medicine - by a 97-0 vote in the state senate. I was pretty proud of those guys (well, for a sec). Walls are coming down.

Have you guys thawed out in Buffalo yet?

Scoresman said:
Wow youre an idiot
like I said, an idiot

MoP, I like you but rest assured that Arrogant ******* is not an IPA.
Ur right, I wrote in haste. Probably one of the reasons I'm not as big a fan. I also am not the person to ask about Lagers, not a big fan of them. I can appreciate a good ale, like many but AB just doesn't do that much for me.

Edit to add: I didn't actually call it an IPA, merely that there have been a lot of great IPAs come along since AB...yes it would infer that I am describing it as such but I never said AB is a terrible IPA or an IPA I don't much care for.

Sincerely,

Francis Underwood

Entertain me if you will... what is it that makes Arrogant ******* something other than an IPA?

Thanks, I'll hang up an listen.

Entertain me if you will... what is it that makes Arrogant ******* something other than an IPA?

Thanks, I'll hang up an listen.
Link

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.
At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant ******* Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant ******* Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant ******* Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!

Users who are viewing this thread