What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense 2015** Week 15 - Playoffs: No time to get cute (1 Viewer)

Also intrigued by Jax if Indy is forced to go with Whitehurst at QB. As the Fantasy Footballers pointed out today on their podcast, between the turnover at OC and QB, Indy's offense seems to be having some major communication issues.

Also intrigued by Jax if Indy is forced to go with Whitehurst at QB. As the Fantasy Footballers pointed out today on their podcast, between the turnover at OC and QB, Indy's offense seems to be having some major communication issues.
Yep, another reason to look at Houston for Week 15. Indy is a complete and total mess.

@Seattle and @KC defenses both might help win leagues vs the Manziel Browns weeks 15-16.

I know, they're not streaming options, but worth mentioning somewhere. SF might also be a good start week 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, another reason to look at Houston for Week 15. Indy is a complete and total mess.
Now looks like Hass will play, which makes Jax a lot less attractive. This is a D that just gave up 42 points to one of the worst teams in the league.

This may be "unstreaming" but curious if Denver D owners are bailing on this unit?

Upcoming Schedule: OAK, @PIT, CINCI

Yikes.

They've carried me the entire season but now I'm looking at DET @Stl this week.

This may be "unstreaming" but curious if Denver D owners are bailing on this unit?

Yikes.

Read the last 2 pages or so of this thread.

I brought up this scenario specifically, and I am thinking of picking up Detroit in 4/4 leagues.

There were some good responses on that exact situation, including some thoughts on the Detroit defense in general.

Fortunately 2 of my leagues are playoffs in only 15-16, and I may not make a move for one more week.

Not 100%, but the more I have thought about it in the last 2 days, the more I am leaning towards getting Detroit.

(even if I hold them for this week, it gets terrible in weeks 15 and 16 so I will do something then at the latest)

TZM

Luck is hoping to return for that game. Given his turnover-prone ways this season that may be good news for the Texans. Of course, if the Texans crap all over themselves like they did against Buffalo Luck will tear them apart.

I'm looking at going back to Philly for this week with the Bucs my backup plan.

Made the brilliant move of dropping Philly this week. :wall:
Eh, why beat yourself up? Trust the process, not the results. There's no way in the world it would have been smart to start a collapsing D on the road against one of the best offenses in the league. Just one of those games.
True, but what made it worse is I traded them in for NE's defense which of course gave me squat in return (in the same game).

Made the brilliant move of dropping Philly this week. :wall:
Eh, why beat yourself up? Trust the process, not the results. There's no way in the world it would have been smart to start a collapsing D on the road against one of the best offenses in the league. Just one of those games.
True, but what made it worse is I traded them in for NE's defense which of course gave me squat in return (in the same game).
I dropped the Eagles for the Texans. I don't regret dropping Philly although it was painful watching that game. I do regret going with the Texans since I wasn't sold on them on the road against a mobile QB like Taylor.

What happened to the Rams D? They have a Thurs night home game vs TB in week 15 that normally I'd be drooling over, but they look awful all of the sudden. Key injuries?

I played Houston this past week and got what I deserved when I start a defense that is playing on the road, especially against an elusive QB.

packersfan said:
Luck is hoping to return for that game. Given his turnover-prone ways this season that may be good news for the Texans. Of course, if the Texans crap all over themselves like they did against Buffalo Luck will tear them apart.

I'm looking at going back to Philly for this week with the Bucs my backup plan.
I picked up Detroit in two leagues and right now plan on using them week 14 @STL and week 16 vs SF. I've got STL vs TB and Cinci @SF to cover week 15 in the two leagues I have Detroit.

Initial rankings coming out have Denver top 2-5. Don't get it. They are at home, but Oakland can score. Don't see Oakland laying an egg like SD with that entire offense depleted due to injury.

Yikes.

I brought up this scenario specifically, and I am thinking of picking up Detroit in 4/4 leagues.

There were some good responses on that exact situation, including some thoughts on the Detroit defense in general.

Fortunately 2 of my leagues are playoffs in only 15-16, and I may not make a move for one more week.

Not 100%, but the more I have thought about it in the last 2 days, the more I am leaning towards getting Detroit.

(even if I hold them for this week, it gets terrible in weeks 15 and 16 so I will do something then at the latest)

TZM
I haven't really figured anything out for weeks 15-16. Detroit is the best I can figure right now. 15 @NO is not good, but 16 vs SF seems decent.

I'm not really sure about week 15 TB @StL, The Rams are better at home.

Pit @Bal week 16, rivalry game, again on the road. - The best thing there is Schaub is QB.

Hou 15 @IND, 16 @Ten seems promising. Obviously it's better if Luck isn't back for week 15.

Usually this time of year you can feast on:

- rookie/young QBs getting trotted out on losing teams 'to see what they can do'.

- injury replacements.

- horrible weather.

I don't see any class right now. - Manziel is the best option to face but 15 @Seattle and 16 @KC are off the board. I'd get SF for week 14 though.

Cassell - same thing, 15-16 vs NYJ & @Buf are likely off the board.

Schaub - faces Pit in Bal week 16. He's usually a TO and pick 6 machine, but Bal/Pit in Bal, er, I don't know.

Hasselbeck - 15 vs Hou, 16 @ Mia. - However Luck might be back 15 or 16.

No other really obvious opportunities seem available.

I will throw this out there:

Min Vikes at home weeks 15-16. Playoff implications for Vikes.

Cold weather, just like the old days it's outdoors.

15 Vs Chi. - No 6 most FFPA vs defenses, season. - Statistically speaking, nice, albeit last 3-5 weeks they have been better (~15th).

16 Vs NYG - No. 28 most FFPA vs defenses, season. - Not a good matchup, - Afternoon game but temps still expected to be in the 30s.

15 Vs Chi. - No 6 most FFPA vs defenses, season. - Statistically speaking, nice, albeit last 3-5 weeks they have been better (~15th).

16 Vs NYG - No. 28 most FFPA vs defenses, season. - Not a good matchup, - Afternoon game but temps still expected to be in the 30s.
Vikings are available in your league?

What happened to the Rams D? They have a Thurs night home game vs TB in week 15 that normally I'd be drooling over, but they look awful all of the sudden. Key injuries?

I played Houston this past week and got what I deserved when I start a defense that is playing on the road, especially against an elusive QB.
Robert Quinn happened. Last game he played was week 8 against SF and that was the last time the Rams D put up double digit fantasy points.

Yikes.

TZM
I haven't really figured anything out for weeks 15-16. Detroit is the best I can figure right now. 15 @NO is not good, but 16 vs SF seems decent.
I agree that Detroit is a decent bet ROS, but I would point out that SF is not necessarily a plus match-up anymore. Their season-long numbers are terrible, but that's more on Kaepernick than anything else. Under him, they were giving up 9 PPG to opposing Ds. Since Gabbert came in that's gone down to 7.

To put it another way, under Kaepernick your D facing the Niners was the equivalent of Cinci or Arizona. Under Gabbert, it's the Jets/GB. Not terrible, but not elite, either.

Anyone thinking of using the Giants @ MIA on Monday night? They're not a great NFL D, but they've been opportunistic all season. Also, as JPP rounds into form they're developing a pass rush, and Tannehill is much worse when he's under pressure.

Have you seen their injury report of late?

Just looked. Yikes. At least they get a mini-bye.

Anyone thinking of using the Giants @ MIA on Monday night? They're not a great NFL D, but they've been opportunistic all season. Also, as JPP rounds into form they're developing a pass rush, and Tannehill is much worse when he's under pressure.
Sadly, yes. I'm picking them up for just this week.

Just looked. Yikes. At least they get a mini-bye.
To shed some more light..

The Vikings are expected to be without starters on all three levels of their defense. Likely to be ruled out are NTLinval Joseph (foot), SLB Anthony Barr (groin), and FS Harrison Smith (hamstring). Through 13 weeks, Joseph already has a Player of the Week award on his record and has graded out as Pro Football Focus’ No. 3-ranked interior lineman against the run, behind only Ravens NT Brandon Williams and Rams DT Aaron Donald. Barr is PFF’s No. 1 overall 4-3 outside linebacker and No. 4 against the run. Smith comes in as the No. 3 overall safety and fifth against the run. This is a very favorable matchup for Johnson in the league’s No. 1 offense against an injury-riddled defense. Johnson, alone, is reason enough to play DFS on Thursday night. He has overall RB1 upside.

I'm holding Cincy for week 15 (vs 49ers) but looking to add Detroit for weeks 14 and 16 (Rams then Niners,)
I have this exact same combo. Rolling out Lions this week. Before last week I was actually thinking about rolling out Cicy versus Pitt, but that offense is too hot to mess with right now.

The points about the Vikes are good, they may not even be on waiver wires and they sound pretty beat up (esp Barr), my thought there was to identify potential cold or bad weather matchups for the playoffs. The Pats vs Ten could be another one. However the Vikes games are only forecast to be in the 30s which doesn't seem all that daunting.

The points about the Vikes are good, they may not even be on waiver wires and they sound pretty beat up (esp Barr), my thought there was to identify potential cold or bad weather matchups for the playoffs. The Pats vs Ten could be another one. However the Vikes games are only forecast to be in the 30s which doesn't seem all that daunting.
I didn't start the Vikings last week (oops) and won't this week but am holding for the Weeks 15-16 matchups.

St. Louis may be a matchup to get. Keenum has been named the starter for week 14, not that he's worse than Foles but week 11 at Bal he went 12/26/138/1/0. Week 14 Lions @StL and week 15 TB @StL both could be good. Seattle which already has a fantastic playoff schedule gets them week 15 in Sea.

Picked up DET two weeks ago specifically targeting their matchups in 14 and 16. GB (vs DAL) is available for me, but I'm rolling with DET.

I'm holding Cincy for week 15 (vs 49ers) but looking to add Detroit for weeks 14 and 16 (Rams then Niners,)
I have this exact same combo. Rolling out Lions this week. Before last week I was actually thinking about rolling out Cicy versus Pitt, but that offense is too hot to mess with right now.
Something to keep in mind about Detroit. They were demoralized last Thursday and all the motivation they've had the last 3 weeks is likely gone. The last heartbreaking loss like this (Sea) was followed by a trouncing at home against AZ. The team quit that week and I'm afraid it could happen again.

I picked up Detroit two weeks ago because of their playoff schedule but I'm looking elsewhere now.

Something to keep in mind about Detroit. They were demoralized last Thursday and all the motivation they've had the last 3 weeks is likely gone. The last heartbreaking loss like this (Sea) was followed by a trouncing at home against AZ. The team quit that week and I'm afraid it could happen again.

I picked up Detroit two weeks ago because of their playoff schedule but I'm looking elsewhere now.
If I was in Vegas I'd probably bet on the Rams this week. I think the new coordinator feeds Gurley and I don't think the Lions are all that good to begin with so I'm expecting a close game. At home and against a less-than-dominant team IMO I could see the Rams winning. I think Vegas has this as a pick-em game right now.

Should I stash Buffalo for Week 16?

Holding CIN & DEN. They play each championship week.

We have a max x-actions cap. One move left.

Welllllll?

OK, this has nothing to do with streaming, but how is it fair that Seattle may get to face Jimmy Clausen twice in the same season on two different injury-riddled teams?

Welllllll?
Well its obvious you need someone for that week.

I don't know the choices, but as I mentioned acquiring Detroit is something to look into.

They play @ home vs. SAN FRAN that week, who has been awful on the road.

(can't remember if you said earlier in the thread if you had them available, I know you mentioned a bit of doubt on them though)

What are your other options sir?

TZM

Welllllll?
I don't know the choices, but as I mentioned acquiring Detroit is something to look into.

I was thinking this last week but I was wrong.

If you're looking at their average points against on the road, I guess you can say that. But it's shortsighted because the stats you're leaning on are skewed by Arizona's 28 point outburst in Week 3 (vs Kaep).

Their last two roadies netted you next to nothing. As did their week 2 and week 5 road games. That's 4 bad eggs out of 6. Pretty far from "awful on the road".

Welllllll?

If you're looking at their average points against on the road, I guess you can say that. But it's shortsighted because the stats you're leaning on are skewed by Arizona's 28 point outburst in Week 3 (vs Kaep).

Their last two roadies netted you next to nothing. As did their week 2 and week 5 road games. That's 4 bad eggs out of 6. Pretty far from "awful on the road".
Plus they've been a lot less awful since Gabbert took over.

Here are a few other "just for playoffs" streaming acquisitions I am looking over.

INDY - Week 14 @ JAX, Week 15 vs. HOU, and Week 16 @ Mia.

MIAMI - Week 14 vs. NYG , Week 15 @ SD, Week 16 vs. INDY.

This might be a solid weeks 15-16 play, made even better if Luck is not back in week 16.

Of course we won't know that for another week or two, but last I heard he was already throwing, so he will likely be back that week.

Is it a "shark play" to consider playing the OAKLAND defense in week 16 @home vs. SD???

They are getting a fair amount of sacks and INTs, but the problem is they are giving up a load of points.

The last two weeks that has come down a bit.

The last few weeks, I have time and time again looked at who is facing SD in the playoff run.

(especially at RB, I'm trying to start as many as I can vs. SD the last few weeks)

TZM
I do like the Raiders of what's left on my wire for week 16. I like the matchup vs the Chargers. I've checked two strength of schedule sites and the stats say it's a top 5 play.

Welllllll?

(can't remember if you said earlier in the thread if you had them available, I know you mentioned a bit of doubt on them though)

TZM
NYG

WAS

MIA

TB

BUF

ATL

OAK

IND

JAX

DAL

CLE

NO

SF

SD

I like TB, as many mentioned in this thread.

Should HOU be dropped for them?
I'm rolling with the Bucs over Houston in one league although I admit a lot of that was due to the sour taste of the Texans crapping in my face last week. I wouldn't be surprised if they had more success rushing a stationary QB like Brady than they had with Taylor. That said, the Saints have been abysmal on the road and Brees will throw picks so the Bucs have a good shot to come through this week in my opinion.

I have the bye this week.

I dumped Philly and Washington for NYJ @ DAL for Week 15 and the hopefully Oak vs SD Championship Week.

I like the Raiders this week. Denver offense isn't a juggernaut by any stretch. They're giving up the 9th most points against to FF defenses. Raiders have quietly put together solid performances 3 weeks in a row now. I don't think they win the game, but this wouldn't surprise me to see a 16-13 kind of game.

Welllllll?

TZM
NYG

WAS

MIA

TB

BUF

ATL

OAK

IND

JAX

DAL

CLE

NO

SF

SD
I am assuming you are only looking towards the week 16 matchups right???

Some notable ones I see offhand are....

OAK @ home vs SD

TB @ home vs. CHI

BUF @ home vs. DAL (Dallas may be in complete mail it in mode by then, need to watch the next couple weeks)

SF @ DET (Don't laugh on this one, it may well turn out to be Detroit giving completely up, I'm watching them closely this week)

I like the Detroit schedule, but if they give up after that GB loss, then all bets are off.

TB is one to consider the rest of season, but since you have two good defenses otherwise, I don't see the need for that BobbyLayne.

Note to kOOk and zftcg -

I know Gabbert had a very "un Gabbert-like" performance last week........ but are we going to see that this week?

Even if we do, will they be any good in week 16?

As I mentioned earlier, this is going to hinge on Detroit, and if they slip into "mail it in mode".

I had my fears of that immediately after the Green Bay hail Mary bull####.

Detroit is a team in collapse. (well, that's something thats been debated for years though to be fair :yes: )

If they have a very strong showing this week vs. STL, then I would have not a problem at all rolling them out week 16.

So we essentially get a free look right?

We all have to remember, we are streaming , so I think its safe to assume most owners options are fairly limited, like BobbyLayne listed.

Its not like we have our pick of the entire slate. We are essentially at a point where we have to "make the best of what we got" so to speak.

I suppose in a few leagues if Detroit has a good showing this week, then a few "sharks" will scoop them up to block another owner.

But you have to reckon if they are available now, then they will likely be available in week 16.

At least we have this week (and next if you want to split hairs) to watch the games and make a judgement call.

TZM

I like the Raiders this week. Denver offense isn't a juggernaut by any stretch. They're giving up the 9th most points against to FF defenses. Raiders have quietly put together solid performances 3 weeks in a row now. I don't think they win the game, but this wouldn't surprise me to see a 16-13 kind of game.
Its odd, I mentioned it on a "whim" in my post back on the 5th of the month about playing OAK in week 16.

I knew they have been better recently.

Even last week they gave up some points and lost, but they still had 4 sacks and 2 fumble recoveries.

They have averaged 3.5 sacks a game the last month.

Jbird above said they rate to be a top 5 play that week.

I don't know if I would be willing to actually bet that, but when you look at SD and their ragtag WR corps, I think at this point I might roll OAK out that week and not sweat it. Its not like Latavius Murray has been too strong overall so far either.

I will be watching the defenses very closely this week and next.

Last year I was in a position where I could stash an extra good defense or two for the playoffs, but this year it hasn't worked out quite as well.

In one particular league I am in, I have Denver, but I am so loaded at RB even with my bench guys, I am leery of dropping anyone as they will immediately be snapped up and possibly played against me.

Whatever move I make in that league, will be last minute for sure.

TZM

Welllllll?

Plus Tomsula is conservative.

I just scooped up the Lions for the stretch run. I need a D in Week 15 and hopefully 16. Lions have @NO and SF the next 2 weeks. The Saints are tough at home, but with no Ingram, may be a bit easier to defend.

Welllllll?

Plus Tomsula is conservative.
I apologize for the hijack but absolutely. The Bears were just begging for a 20-point beatdown last week and the 49ers crawled into a shell for nearly the entire second half. I couldn't believe the lack of aggression on display by San Francisco in a game they clearly were positioned to win well before overtime.

JJ Watt broke his hand in practice yesterday. He's the only reason I was even considering their D. Looks like he'll play with a cast on it, but I'm lowering my expectations for HOU a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread