What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl LVII ****Kansas City vs Philadelphia**** KC 38...PHI 35 Chiefs are World Champions!!! (2 Viewers)

This game reminds me a lot of the Chiefs Super Bowl against the 49ers a few years ago. Going in the niners had a punishing running game and an elite defense. Somehow the Chiefs defense tightened up the second half after Mahomes played arguably his worse game as a pro for three quarters.

I don't see the Eagles giving up a lead once they get it like the niners did that day.

My heart says Chiefs but when I really think about this game my head says the Eagles. I'll probably bet the Eagles on the money line to win. If I end up losing the money so be it - the reward would be a Chiefs Super Bowl win obviously. But I can separate my Chiefs fandom with the cold realities of cash opportunities.

And no, this is not a reverse jinx. This is how I feel.

In a thread that I created about a week ago, I mentioned that this is the most exciting QB matchup in the Super Bowl since Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLIV in the 2009 season. Something to remember from the 2009 season: both Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were the top 2 candidates for MVP that season, and even though Peyton eventually won MVP, it was the Saints that went on to win the Super Bowl. I see some similarities between this Super Bowl and the one from 2009. I don't see Josh Allen, Joe Burrow or Justin Jefferson winning MVP, so it's down to Patrick Mahomes & Jalen Hurts. As I mentioned, Peyton Manning eventually won MVP for the regular season in 2009, but the Colts lost to the Saints 31-17. The way I see it, whoever is named MVP tomorrow night, their team is going to be on the losing end of the Super Bowl. So, I'm really looking forward to NFL Honors tomorrow night to see who wins MVP. And something else to remember: when the Saints won the Super Bowl in 2009, it was Drew Brees that was named Super Bowl MVP, so if Mahomes is named regular season MVP, then I think Hurts has a good chance of being named Super Bowl MVP on Sunday. And, that's the one thing that I'm basing my winner of the Super Bowl on.

In a thread that I created about a week ago, I mentioned that this is the most exciting QB matchup in the Super Bowl since Drew Brees vs. Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLIV in the 2009 season. Something to remember from the 2009 season: both Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were the top 2 candidates for MVP that season, and even though Peyton eventually won MVP, it was the Saints that went on to win the Super Bowl. I see some similarities between this Super Bowl and the one from 2009. I don't see Josh Allen, Joe Burrow or Justin Jefferson winning MVP, so it's down to Patrick Mahomes & Jalen Hurts. As I mentioned, Peyton Manning eventually won MVP for the regular season in 2009, but the Colts lost to the Saints 31-17. The way I see it, whoever is named MVP tomorrow night, their team is going to be on the losing end of the Super Bowl. So, I'm really looking forward to NFL Honors tomorrow night to see who wins MVP. And something else to remember: when the Saints won the Super Bowl in 2009, it was Drew Brees that was named Super Bowl MVP, so if Mahomes is named regular season MVP, then I think Hurts has a good chance of being named Super Bowl MVP on Sunday. And, that's the one thing that I'm basing my winner of the Super Bowl on.
can't tell if you are tongue in cheek joking or not.....you're joking right....?

I've been mulling over my thoughts on this game and figure I can give a prediction on it now. Similar to the Cincy game, I can see a path where the Chiefs could lose, but I don't foresee that as likely.

The Eagles defense is very solid all around, but they have not faced an offense this potent. If KC runs effectively, which I think they will, the potent pass rush will be slowed down a bit giving Mahomes time to find the open receiver. If KC doesn't run effectively, they may not be as effective in scoring. Mahomes won't be 100%, but he'll be mobile enough to do Mahomes things. Full complement of weapons will be a problem for Philly to stop. When Philly has the ball, this should again be very interesting game play. Curious to see the effectiveness of the run game as the Eagles have had great success there, but KC is solid at stopping the run. If the Eagles get to 3rd and short, they'll likely be able to extend drives. If not, KC will get off the field on 3rd and longs and may even create a few turnovers from Hurts. The KC defense is the most underrated unit of anything in this game.

Andy Reid getting an extra week to scheme and injured players getting an extra week to heal should give KC an edge here. I know a lot of people are expecting a fairly high scoring game that the Eagles triumph in, but I suspect that game flow will be dictated differently. If KC gets ahead early, the Eagles become more 1 dimensional, which could be a problem for them as well. I suspect the Chiefs do get ahead early in the game and are able to hold off a very well-rounded Eagles team.

KC 27-20

KC has the QB & TE, but Philly seems to be pretty solid across the board. Since both QBs are a little under 100%, I'll predict something that leans to the under.

Philly 24 KC 20

I've been mulling over my thoughts on this game and figure I can give a prediction on it now. Similar to the Cincy game, I can see a path where the Chiefs could lose, but I don't foresee that as likely.

The Eagles defense is very solid all around, but they have not faced an offense this potent. If KC runs effectively, which I think they will, the potent pass rush will be slowed down a bit giving Mahomes time to find the open receiver. If KC doesn't run effectively, they may not be as effective in scoring. Mahomes won't be 100%, but he'll be mobile enough to do Mahomes things. Full complement of weapons will be a problem for Philly to stop. When Philly has the ball, this should again be very interesting game play. Curious to see the effectiveness of the run game as the Eagles have had great success there, but KC is solid at stopping the run. If the Eagles get to 3rd and short, they'll likely be able to extend drives. If not, KC will get off the field on 3rd and longs and may even create a few turnovers from Hurts. The KC defense is the most underrated unit of anything in this game.

Andy Reid getting an extra week to scheme and injured players getting an extra week to heal should give KC an edge here. I know a lot of people are expecting a fairly high scoring game that the Eagles triumph in, but I suspect that game flow will be dictated differently. If KC gets ahead early, the Eagles become more 1 dimensional, which could be a problem for them as well. I suspect the Chiefs do get ahead early in the game and are able to hold off a very well-rounded Eagles team.

KC 27-20
I'm being harsh because I'm buzzed, but I loved your post.

The amount of "effectively"'s in that one one run of 4 sentences or so -- and then some -- cracked me up. But whatever, I think you see it pretty clearly, otherwise, we both are way off.

The only other flaw I saw in your magnificent post, is this part:

The KC defense is the most underrated unit of anything in this game.

Philly's D is way better, it's actually how they will win this game.

Were you talking about the Broncos D when you said "the most underrated unit in the game"? You must've meant Denver, no?

Either way, KC TO THE BANK!

I see one of two possible scenarios. K.C. gets an early lead(2 scores) and that limits Philly's run game a bit and Patrick plays superhero and wins it for The Chiefs. Or,the Eagles defense gets all over Patrick,like Tampa did,and Philly controls clock and gets a two score or more victory. Since I don't have a horse in this race and can't decide which scenario will play out I'm just going all in on some square pools and that way will pull for each team at different points in the game

A couple of random thoughts regarding the Chiefs leading up to this Super Bowl:

1. The Chiefs are the underdog. In the Mahomes era they have rarely been underdogs. This is the first playoff game in his career that he has been an underdog. In his 80 career regular season games he has only been an underdog in 9 of them. So it will be interesting to see the Chiefs and Mahomes mentality not being the favorite.

2. The Chiefs in their last Super Bowl were flat-out embarrassed on national television. So there may be a little bit of a chip on their shoulders to not let that happen again.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAA
Every single day one starter for the Eagles is healthy. That is bananas. For all the flak that the organization took during training camp for not hitting and frankly not pushing it physically at all , they sure seem vindicated. What a turn around from the disaster that this team's trainer group was a few years ago.

Every single day one starter for the Eagles is healthy. That is bananas. For all the flak that the organization took during training camp for not hitting and frankly not pushing it physically at all , they sure seem vindicated. What a turn around from the disaster that this team's trainer group was a few years ago.
In today's NFL that's a miracle.

Another random thought: this field is where the Chiefs played in week 1 and Harrison Butker got the bad ankle sprain. Hopefully he's not thinking about that - could be a minor factor.

I'd also like to add:

thanks to all you guys in here for the discussion for the last couple weeks. It's been fun having the banter from both sides, and I feel like everyone has been pretty respectful in here. At least regarding the Chiefs v Eagles. My hope is for a good clean game with few flags, no officiating controversies, and for both teams to stay healthy throughout the game.

I see this one going either way, and I won't be in here during the game itself. But it's been enjoyable and I look forward to more chatter the next few days.

:banned:

No head coach is the all-time leader in career wins for two of the current 32 NFL franchises. But with a victory in this Super Bowl, Andy Reid would stand 1st for the Eagles and Chiefs. Including playoffs, he has 140 Philly wins and Sunday would be 129 for KC

Loved Andy. Was sad to see him go even though it was definitely time and both sides needed a reboot. Bill B is great and all, but honestly I'll take Andy. Just hope he reaches this accomplishment next season.

Alot of injuries are just plain bad luck

In today's NFL that's a miracle.
It really is a miracle. Not sure I’ve ever seen it happen before

Is Hurts fully healthy?

Is Hurts fully healthy?
Is Hurts fully healthy?
He’s as fully healthy as anyone else in February, yeah.

Is Hurts fully healthy?
Is Hurts fully healthy?
Small sample size and I didn’t watch him much this year in regular season outside of his stats, but he did not look good throwing the ball in 2 of the games since coming back. Am curious if we will find out his shoulder is more messed up than we know after this game.

Add all the pressure of this game. I‘m looking forward to seeing how he handles this.

Is Hurts fully healthy?
Is Hurts fully healthy?
Small sample size and I didn’t watch him much this year in regular season outside of his stats, but he did not look good throwing the ball in 2 of the games since coming back. Am curious if we will find out his shoulder is more messed up than we know after this game.

Add all the pressure of this game. I‘m looking forward to seeing how he handles this.
Yep no doubt. He looked pretty bad against the Niners on a weeks rest, but looked good against the Giants the week before in two weeks rest. I think he’s hurting but two weeks rest will go a long way. I have no concerns about his health on Sunday.

Is Hurts fully healthy?
Is Hurts fully healthy?

Yep no doubt. He looked pretty bad against the Niners on a weeks rest, but looked good against the Giants the week before in two weeks rest. I think he’s hurting but two weeks rest will go a long way. I have no concerns about his health on Sunday.
I'd even say pretty bad is a bit of an exaggeration. His deep passes did not connect. I wouldn't say they were all 'bad' throws, two overthrows, two were 50/50 balls that the WR's just didn't make the play. Other then that it was just a lot of safe play, he wasnt pushing the ball down the field much because they didnt need to. They had the game, so they took the safe route and just played to win with short easy passes.

Is Hurts fully healthy?
Is Hurts fully healthy?

I'd even say pretty bad is a bit of an exaggeration. His deep passes did not connect. I wouldn't say they were all 'bad' throws, two overthrows, two were 50/50 balls that the WR's just didn't make the play. Other then that it was just a lot of safe play, he wasnt pushing the ball down the field much because they didnt need to. They had the game, so they took the safe route and just played to win with short easy passes.
Didn’t see the game but his numbers were not good in season finale either.

Agreed the SF game was very weird. The way it played out wasn‘t a good game to get a lot of info from and they were up against the top defense but he wasn’t throwing the ball very well.

I’m a fan of his so hope he plays well, am very curious to see if his shoulder is more jacked than they are saying.

Is Hurts fully healthy?
Is Hurts fully healthy?

I watched an interview some jamook on youtube did with a sports medicine MD that is involved with the NFL and the Eagles, but not directly taking care of Hurts or his shoulder. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if there was rotator cuff damage that isn’t disclosed, yet. He definitely has not looked himself since the Bears game.

on injuries, dr. chao on some youtube interview posted yesterday, hurts is probably closer to 100% than mahommes and the concern on hurts is rust, not injury. mahommes is probably 50% better than he was in the cinci game, but still probably won't be able to lean on that ankle to go downfield at will. he noted mahommes noticeably threw underneath most of that afc game and could not go downfield hardly at all.

on injuries, dr. chao on some youtube interview posted yesterday, hurts is probably closer to 100% than mahommes and the concern on hurts is rust, not injury. mahommes is probably 50% better than he was in the cinci game, but still probably won't be able to lean on that ankle to go downfield at will. he noted mahommes noticeably threw underneath most of that afc game and could not go downfield hardly at all.
i don't buy into all this kind of stuff.....Mahomes could be sitting on the toilet and probably chuck it 50 yards on a dime....

FWIW Gannon's philosophy is to not give up the deep ball and statistically we're the best in the league against it. Reid would be wise to pepper us on underneath routes as they seem more ok to give them up.

Injured or not, I don't see Mahomes losing a 2nd Super Bowl in a row.

Chiefs by 7+.
Injured or not, he has not played well in the Super Bowls he has played so far. Just some food for thought. 6.8 YPA being the best of the 2 along w a 78.1 QB rating.

Injured or not, I don't see Mahomes losing a 2nd Super Bowl in a row.

Chiefs by 7+.
Injured or not, he has not played well in the Super Bowls he has played so far. Just some food for thought. 6.8 YPA being the best of the 2 along w a 78.1 QB rating.

In his first SB he played against an elite 49er defense (they made him look average for 3 and a half quarters), and in his second against the Bucs he had turf toe and half his O-line was out.

Chiefs by 7+ Sunday.

So i know a lot of the Eagles' fanbase was hoping more for Cincy in this match-up because they thought the DL would tear up the middle of the Cincy OL.

Curious if Chief fans had any thoughts with the Phi-SF game and a preference on who they would face. SF seems to be the easier match-up, was that the lean for many Chief fans?

Curious if Chief fans had any thoughts with the Phi-SF game and a preference on who they would face. SF seems to be the easier match-up, was that the lean for many Chief fans?

I'm betting they're happier to be playing the Eagles, even with the 49er rookie QB situation.
I'm starting to feel a little bad. I never realized the Niners fandom was this fragile.

I'm betting they're happier to be playing the Eagles, even with the 49er rookie QB situation.
I'm starting to feel a little bad. I never realized the Niners fandom was this fragile.
So saying I believe Chief fans would rather play the Eagles than SF, that makes me fragile. Got it.

I hope your post makes you feel better.

So saying I believe Chief fans would rather play the Eagles than SF, that makes me fragile. Got it.

I hope your post makes you feel better.
You guys are pathetic. The fans and the team. We curbstomped your team. Have some situational awareness ffs. And yeah, Purdy got injured. By our Dline. How did your DPOY do against us. Nothing? Right. Nothing but sour grapes from all of you. Like I said, pathetic. Eagles were better than SF on both sides of the ball and eagles fans knew it before the game. Eagles are the better team this week and are going to roll on Sunday. Maybe we can get an anti eagles sound bite from your punter next? Losers

Users who are viewing this thread